Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I thought that Preserved Killick was great in the movie "Which it will be ready when it's ready!" Just the right amount of bad temper and weirdly constructed sentences.
Has everyone seen Maakies? Tony Millionaire seems to be obsessed with Patrick O'Brian.

https://www.maakies.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Maturin was ok in the movie, I would have prefered him to be scruffier and more Irish sounding.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Chatting with a friend on facebook lead to this:
"'Follow me, follow me,' he cried, leaping across, and on either side of him there were Black Pigs, swarming over with cutlasses, pistols, boarding-axes. Willy was at his right hand, The Mate on his left, already foaming at the mouth. The Flying Dustmen came at them with furious spirit and in the very first clash, halfway across the deck, one shot Pugwash's hat from his head, the bullet scoring his skull, and another, lunging with a long pike, brought him down.
'The Captain's down,' shrieked The mate. He cut the pikeman's legs from under him and Willy split his head. The mate went on hacking the body as the Pigs came howling down and took the Flying Dustmen in the flank."

If you want to introduce the little ones to the world of 18th century navel warfare I must recommend Captain Pugwash (the older books and the tv show, not the new cartoons)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwzVjsu9XvM

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Dad obsessing about the books - movie - books - thread.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My favorite is a multi-ship action in a small bay in the med, I can't remember which book, possibly Treason's Harbor? It has a lovely description of the Surprise "Throwing out sail after sail" as she come to the rescue of another ship, which unfortunately explodes.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
If you have a pressure cooker you can make one in 30 minutes, or if you are in a real hurry in a microwave in 10.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/syrupspongewithprope_4983

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lockback posted:

Yeah, the joke is they are so addicted to their coffee they drink rat poo poo from a coffee bag despite knowing exactly what they are doing.

Killick still knows how to make a good brew though.

How much coca residue would be left in rat poo poo anyway?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Now you’ve got me trying to remember the highly O’Brianesque word Stephen uses to describe Ponto at one point. Worthy?

Noble? Was Ponto named after the lion in Hillare Belloc’s cautionary tale “Jim”?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My brain just shorthand’s all that stuff as “the ship did a thing”

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Kylaer posted:

Tiny thing I have a question on. The phrase "fighting over a chest" is used several times in the series, and from context it's clearly some kind of non-lethal duel, but does anyone know what it actually means? The only thing I can think of is that it could be a fistfight with a chest set on the deck between the fighters, to keep them from getting really close to each other.

I believe it is a fistfight, but seated on either end of a chest facing each other. I remember somewhere in the books a crewman failing to report for duty because he had fought somebody over a chest and couldn't stand anymore (maybe they had fought with improvised weapon of some sort?).

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Is he saying he falls asleep because it's boring or is he just cranking it?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lord Nelson leans in to me and says in a sordid voce, "Always be kicking breeches, Aubrey."

Remember to get Pullings to make a note of his name for good measure.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just watched "The Sea Beast", which apparently used a lot of the same production crew as the Master and Commander movie. The weather gauge and crossing the T are mentioned, and a suspiciously Jack like main character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAMcd1kcTQ

yaffle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 21, 2022

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

a lovely king posted:

Where did you hear that about the production crew? Animated and live action films don't have much crossover in crew terms.

Not so much the whole crew, but the same <industry term for people who advise films on historical accuracy and detail>. I am in a Facebook group and one of the guys who does that work posted about it.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Practically a textbook definition of the word "Scrub".

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
If anyone is interested in reading more about steel hulled sailing ships in the 20th century I highly recommend "The last grain race" by Eric Newby. He signs up as a hand on one of the last commercial voyages to bring grain from Australia to Europe before the war, its an amazing book.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
There's a clip of Patrick Tull reading it on YouTube, he's very good.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Arglebargle III posted:

What exactly is the difference between a sloop rig and a topsail schooner rig and a schooner rig?

As I understand these things a Sloop is always schooner rigged, whereas schooners are most often sloop rigged, when sailing by and large.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 14, 2023

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'll put in a word for Brigadier Gerard by Arthur Conan-Doyle, a view from the French side and very funny.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11247

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Huggybear posted:

Are you joking? The minor characters can be one-dimensional, but Diana gets a lot of praise for her dashing behavior and unwillingness to feel shame and definitely is not one-dimensional in her capacity to exploit the aristocracy she is forced to make amends to exist in. Jack is not simple whatsoever. His letters to Sophie, his behavior at sea and in battle, the observations made about his growth in mathematics and astronomy and contributions to both fields, not to mention as he becomes a competent landsman after his many legal battles...and yes I am not forgetting his incompetence in parliament. But his uncanny seamanship, leadership, political acumen at sea, his competence as a musician, his correspondence, the way he can host a dinner and resolve issues among officers and crew, his ability to sail, gun and command his ship...what novels are you reading?

You might say in his own way he is the secret man of the world?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

screaden posted:

Just started on The Commodore and Stephen's return to his home and daughter :smith:. I hope Padeen and Brigid have a long and beneficial friendship? That one tiny little reference to her looking in his eyes gives me some hope. The whole build up to that scene is incredible, I've never read something where I've had that palpable sense of dread through such lean writing, an extremely effective beginning. This feels like it's about to break a bit of a dry spell of the past few books which is nice, and the return of Clarissa Oakes is very welcome

The description of Brigid's first sea voyage is one of my favorite passages in the books.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Also, they want me to download an app so I can point out their many mistakes, but gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

The Lord Bude posted:

A traditional British Christmas pudding is one of the greatest things on earth (I view the Christmas cake as the half assed version) but being in Australia I can never convince my family to serve it, because it’s ’too hot’.

My dad used to make them, he always insisted on turning out the lights and serving it set on fire with heated brandy.