Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There you are Stephen!

I get totally jealous any time I hear about someone reading these for the first time.

For some reason I chuckle uncontrollably at the part where (probably not really a spoiler) Jack and the crew clean the Aubrey house by halfway dismantling it, sanding and painting everything individually, then reassembling it. They even devise a mechanical method of ensuring that the ancient flagstones pulled up from the pantry floor each get sanded perfectly level.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thirding that you can read them out of order but you would miss a lot of character development.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Evfedu posted:

Also, I Jack breaking his mast and getting a new one(?) felt like I should have thought "what a clever fellow" whereas I was more left feeling "huh?", any kindly goon able to explain that to me?

Not much to explain, they wouldn't give him a new mast just because he didn't like the old one, so he went out and broke the old one in a way that couldn't quite be accused of being intentional. It's been a while, but IIRC there was even some nudge-nudge, wink-wink chat with the supply guy hinting that this would be the best way to get a replacement.

Anyway, these books are a lot like scifi in the sense that the author just drops the reader directly into a fairly technically-detailed world that they know practically nothing about and have to pick up as they go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pharnakes posted:

Also, get it right guys, it was the mainyard, not a mast.

Oh god I can't believe I missed this. I even have A Sea of Words sitting less than 20 feet from me. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cutaways are awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Smashurbanipal posted:

It was not a given that either would die attacking the Cacafuego.

Speaking of that though, Flamepoop or Fireshit?

Fireshitter. Pretty badass imo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Showpan posted:

So can anyone here explain to me what happens during the cricket game at the beginning of The Fortune of War? I get the impression that something highly amusing happens when Stephen gets up to bat but it went completely over my head.

He didn't understand the differences between cricket (which he hadn't played) and hurling (which he had). Hurling is an irish sport more like field hockey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't remember what exactly he did but it was basically the equivalent of walking out onto a basketball court to join a pickup game, drop-kicking the ball off the court, then taking a victory lap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some day I will find an excuse to work "lesser of two weevils" into a conversation and it will be hilarious.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sailing boats can't move directly into the wind, but they can move at something like a 45 degree angle into the wind. So to move directly into the wind they have to zig-zag back and forth about 45 degrees into the wind to the left and right. Turning from the zig direction into the zag direction is fairly complicated and requires a lot of rearranging of the sails which is why they make a big deal about it.

The other related term is "missing stays" which is an embarrassing thing that happens when they don't pull the maneuver off correctly and instead of a 90-degree turn to the left or right into the wind they have to make a 270-degreee turn in the opposite direction to end up pointing the direction that they need.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 16, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick to understanding sailing mechanics is to realize that the sail really works like the wing of an airplane where you want the wind to blow at a small angle along the plane of the curved sail and the resulting force pulls the ship perpendicular to the plane of the sail.

Trying to picture the sail as a flat surface or a parachute which is pushed in whatever direction the wind is blowing will make things more confusing. Even when they want to sail in the general direction of the wind they usually orient the sails so that the wind blows across them at an angle and can actually move faster than the wind in that direction.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cable chat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If the specifics of some nautical terminology are required to understand the plot then someone will stop and explain things to Dr. Maturin (i.e. you). If this doesn't happen then you can safely assume that the details of the jargon aren't critical.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rexim posted:

Okay, what went on with the (seemingly) insane inmates that confronted Jack? It looks to me that they really were American navy agents and jack only mistook them for crazy people. But at some point, one of them seemed to threaten Jack with a blade, shaving some of his arm hair. That doesn't seem like something an American official would do. I am totally confused as to wether those people were American Naval intelligence or just crazy people.

Can someone clear this up for me?

IIRC, the actual patients there were legitimate lunatics. The joke is that Jack is having great fun playing along with them and he continues to pretend to be crazy the one time an actual American interrogator visits to question him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If there is any nautical jargon that is actually critical to understanding the plot then someone will stop and explain it to Dr. Maturin (i.e. you).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Leopard_(1790)

Today is the 223rd anniversary of the launching of the horrible old Leopard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What reason is there to think that the guy isn't a cousin?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What reason would there be for subterfuge?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure you will survive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BeigeJacket posted:

What exactly is a 'slime draught' and why is Stephen so fond of prescribing them to his patients?

A bunch of nasty-tasting poo poo to drink so that the patient can be sure that he has received medicine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

I might have actually misread it. It's right near the start of The Hundred Days, when Jack's talking to Queenie.

Which on re-reading, probably means that Diana wasn't in the coach, but on the box where she would usually be.

Wasn't she asking to confirm that Brigid wasn't in the wreck? The last "she" referring to the little girl, not Diana?

withak fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 5, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Six Frigates

Seconding this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always read a series in published order.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got the whole set used on ebay for ˜$80 a long time ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duckbag posted:

There is so much vague implication and obtuse jargon in Maturin's descriptions of people and events that I often feel like I'm missing something important that I just can't place. Sometimes I figure it out eventually, sometimes I have to wait for him to talk to Jack about it, and sometimes he gets to keep his secrets. Normally, I let the arcane medical chatter wash over me the same way I handle the more inscrutable descriptions of fouled leads and flying tops'l yards (or whatever), but sometimes I feel like I really should be looking up some of these terms he's using.

For nautical terminology, if it matters to the story then someone will come along and explain it to Stephen (i.e. you).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

If anyone is curious as to what Aubrey's Nile medal looked like: http://www.historicmedals.com/viewItem.php?no=1018&b=2&img=A

Silver ones were for junior officers.

The medallion bears an image of a person holding a giant medallion bearing the image of the subject of the medallion.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Saw this tonight which makes me reconsider my "no bumper stickers ever" rule.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought that the joke was they they thought that dismantling her cabin would be a disturbance, but then they are going to fire off all of the cannons a bunch of times anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Speaking as a connoisseur of nerdy boat stuff, "Patrick O'Brien's Navy" is a great coffee table book.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I was wondering, though: in this book and Desolation Jack's ships are in danger of sinking and in both cases they make way for Brazil. Why do they not go to Africa? Are they really sailing that far out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_winds

Unless you are really far south, getting to Brazil is a lot faster than getting to Africa from much of the southern Atlantic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

they need to figure out how to film ocean water in miniature

You just have to pick the right viscosity.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was an owl.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are there to put down mutinies.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Doesn't he intentionally break the Sophie's first main yard?

I think that was a different incident. They wouldn't give him the new one when he had a functional old one, so he went out and broke the old one in a way that was just barely on the right side of not being on purpose.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those photos gave the an extremely vivid flashback of museum-smell.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That Tor blog series led me to this, which is great:

The Reverse of the Hammock

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting blackout drunk is a kind of anesthesia.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt fun quote time but I just finished The Thirteen Gun Salute, and did Stephen just spend the entire book practicing with a sharpshooter's rifle only to ice Wray and Ledward offscreen?

And then dissected them to get rid of the bodies

HOLY gently caress, STEPHEN

I was so happy for him with his orangutan and rhinoceros, and then he goes and does this ice-cold superpro poo poo

:cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That European spleen totally made Van Buren's day.