Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Oh man, I'm vacationing with my father, who decided that he was going to reread the Aubrey-Maturin series, he left Master and Commander lying around and I just finished it up. What a book! I'm itching to finish the series, but I really don't like to just burn through a series. One of my rules has been 1 book per author per year. If I do that, though, I'll be in my fifties before I finish the series. Maybe one every six months?

Also I've had one of my favorite songs going through my head the entire time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czoG3W6TokA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just think of the whole series as one very long book.

Haha. We'll see. I was also fortunate in that I got to go to a museum that had tons of model boats while I was in the middle of it. Didn't have a brig sloop, but they had a ship-rigged sloop. Earlier someone posted a book about all the meals that were served in that book and I'm probably going to get it for him for Christmas.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I've been giving this some thought, Bollig. If you don't want to read the series in one go, the books sort of break themselves up into "acts". I've always considered them to be broken up like this (I'm certain someone will have an issue with the division, but whatever):

I) Master & Commander through Mauritius Command
II) Desolation Island through Surgeon's Mate
III) The Ionian Mission through The Letter of Marque
IV) The Thirteen Gun Salute through The Wine-Dark Sea
V) The Commodore through Blue at the Mizzen/21

These are more thematic breaks than time breaks, but I'd also be hard-pressed to make a reasonable and roughly even set of acts from time-breaks. So if you want to follow your original plan and read one book per author per year but don't want to be an old fart by the time you finish, try reading them in the above sections.

Interesting. I may do this. I may also make them my 'go to' vacation books. Just kind of line one up for each time I head out of town or something. Although I've always kind of had Wodehouse in the barrel for that. Thanks for this idea, though. I'm actually kind of surprised at how itchy I am to get back out to sea.

I pulled a 'not a moment to lose' with my father the other day. He was bumbling around with something in a stack of papers, and that was how I got him out the door.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hey so, while I am not completely prepared to break my 'one book by an author a year' rule, I was thinking that maybe I could read a non-fiction book pertaining to the age of sail. I see the recommendation of A Sea of Words, but is that something I can kind of just sit down and read? Or is that more of a reference book? The little I see on the preview on Amazon makes it look like a pretty decent read.

All this having been said, I'm staring down the barrel of a 12 hour flight (so really, 2 12 hour flights, although one of them I should probably get some sleep on), so I may just pick up #2 for that, barring a really solid non-fiction recommendation. And even with a good recommendation, I may read the companion book and then #2 so I don't forget everything.

My Father has another companion book, and I can't remember the title, that had maps and synopses. I'm trying to avoid anything spoilery, as well.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah my rule is kind of silly. I used to write book reviews for part of my living, so it stems out of that. That having been said, I read two ASOIAF books this year, so all bets are off. The Wooden World sounds pretty good. So far I'm planning on loading up a bunch of them on the ol' e-reader for airplane reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Bubbacub posted:

Six Frigates

This looks dope, thanks.