Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kamrat posted:

Yeah, their videos are usually great and worth watching.

This is very different from their usual material but I like it still, what's this about a new frontman? I haven't been paying much attention to Priest other than listening to them on occasion

I guess it might actually have happened on the album before this one, but some time after the first album the original vocalist Tom Åsberg left and the like main producer guy, Linton Rubino, took over as vocalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

thotsky posted:

I guess it might actually have happened on the album before this one, but some time after the first album the original vocalist Tom Åsberg left and the like main producer guy, Linton Rubino, took over as vocalist.

Oh ok, I guess he just wanted to do something else. This Linton guy seems to be doing a good job though so it all works out in the end.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The show was great, I will go see them if they come here again.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Going to see Sturm Cafe on friday, super loving stoked!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

Going to see Sturm Cafe on friday, super loving stoked!

Hell yeah, super jealous! Would love to see them some day!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hell yeah, super jealous! Would love to see them some day!

If you're not too far from Sweden, write them an offer to set up a show. That's what I did and they were completely up for it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Not very impressed with the new KMFDM album. Seems cobbled together from parts of previous songs, and sometimes just straight up cribbing from Bauhaus. DEJA VU was kind of funny though as it starts out like a song from Monkey Island only with Jan 6 soundbites.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 9, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Could probably make one album of great songs since Adios.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Could probably make one album of great songs since Adios.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
KMFDM *heavy sigh* doin' it again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe, if you count their cover of "Los Niños del Parque."

Anyone else remember Sascha hawking aloe pyramid scheme stuff on their official blog?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Look he was just trying to supplement his rock ’n roll lifestyle

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

KMFDM *heavy sigh* doin' it again

:perfect:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Maybe, if you count their cover of "Los Niños del Parque."

Anyone else remember Sascha hawking aloe pyramid scheme stuff on their official blog?

Yup. It’s like, can’t you sellout by getting gear endorsements or whatever? Do you really have to resort to mangosteen aloe juice MLM’s?!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I know every new KMFDM album, someone in this thread always suckers me into listening with an "it's actually good, I swear".

...I actually like Hyena a lot. Feels a lot more classic in style with sharp guitar riffs that compliment and aren't just there for loudness sake. More dub sounds. Better blend of electronics. I don't even hate the first Lucia song. It's also surprisingly varied, not suffering from their last two decades of sameiness.

It's not breaking any new ground, but it's KMFDM nearly back to what they're best at.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 10, 2022

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It had some really decent XTORT b-side vibes, I thought immortally yours was the best thing Lucia has done in a long time

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sturm Cafe was a lot of fun, especially in a cramped space like Lygten, København. My mate Albert Severin warmed up, and I gotta say he's really gotten his project off the ground: Really gloomy acid trance with more than a few pointers to Psychic TV:

https://albertseverin.bandcamp.com/releases

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

Sturm Cafe was a lot of fun, especially in a cramped space like Lygten, København. My mate Albert Severin warmed up, and I gotta say he's really gotten his project off the ground: Really gloomy acid trance with more than a few pointers to Psychic TV:

https://albertseverin.bandcamp.com/releases

Hey I've got his album, tell him it's great :v:

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
Wow, the new KMFDM album is embarrassing.

At least when Thrill Kill Kill decided to remix their old songs with samples from other songs, you actually got something listenable.

New KMFDM is just a plead to be put down like Old yeller.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

You sound pretty cranky and tired, man. Have you considered what Aloe2Go could do for your punk rock physique?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TesseractMinotaur posted:

Wow, the new KMFDM album is embarrassing.

A tale as old as time

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
I've always held that SK treats KMFDM as a small business that has to put out a "product", so he tries to stay as consistent to his formula as possible. That's why IMO his most interesting output is his only non-KMFDM solo album PROLET-KULT. He DOES have the ability to make compelling music. Hell, he could just do the whole samples + ambient/experimental synths + sick beats poo poo he did in PROLET-KULT as effortlessly as he makes KMFDM albums and they'd be much more listenable in the long-term. See: https://youtu.be/O8h8v4nhF9I

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was able to get some fun/enjoyment out of the KMFDM, but what are people listening to that's newer and they're loving?

I randomly put on VNV's Noire and it's just not doing it for me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

teethgrinder posted:

I was able to get some fun/enjoyment out of the KMFDM, but what are people listening to that's newer and they're loving?

I randomly put on VNV's Noire and it's just not doing it for me.

Ha, I read a convincing review on Rate My Music that Noire is their(his?) best album. I can’t fairly asses that since I’ve only listened to one other one (Futureperfect), but based on it I’m willing to believe the reviewer’s opinion that most of their albums are 1-2 bangers with filler. I thought Noire was pretty good.

I picked up Seeming - Sol on a pay-what-you-want BandCamp day and ended up buying it at full price later. It’s charmingly pretentious at times but there’s a lot of tracks I like and not too many where I’m thinking about the skip button.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

david_a posted:

I picked up Seeming - Sol on a pay-what-you-want BandCamp day and ended up buying it at full price later. It’s charmingly pretentious at times but there’s a lot of tracks I like and not too many where I’m thinking about the skip button.

Yeah, big fan of the last 2 Seeming albums, though they are very cheesy. Took a few listens, but they are at the top of my list these days.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Woot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOhJl17pQIs

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Covenant were good last night. Setlist was stacked with a bunch of tracks I love, and sound problems didn't stop Eskil being his usual cheery self.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I like their older stuff better but it's a good track

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

This got a laugh out of me

https://twitter.com/industrial_book/status/1573148523759112192

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSVKWGHsr8

:getin:

A Used Game
Jul 10, 2005
Gamestop Special
found out about this recently and immediately bought the album after hearing this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMu4HGOyJBY

a cyborg mug posted:

Saw the show in Berlin the other day and Krupps wiped the floor with FLA. The 62-year-old Jürgen Engler is 20 times the performer Leeb is, and I much prefer FLA musically.

I love FLA but this is true, plus idk what the deal is but last time I saw FLA Leeb seemed so tuned the hell out compared to all the other times I've seen FLA.

A Used Game fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 30, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Used Game posted:

found out about this recently and immediately bought the album after hearing this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMu4HGOyJBY

I love FLA but this is true, plus idk what the deal is but last time I saw FLA Leeb seemed so tuned the hell out compared to all the other times I've seen FLA.

Was FLA headlining? He's moody in general but has been way more into it both times I've seen them headline vs when they were underneath Revco (and Cubanate had just done an insane set before them that there was no way they could follow.)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

A Used Game posted:

Yeah! That Spit Mask release is so good. Hope they release more at some point

idk if other people are already into him, but Celldöd absolutely bangs if you want kinda raw-sounding hardware EBM. It's not quite the same sort of thing as Youth Code or Spit Mask, and the vocals are largely just occasional shouts, but he's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rft0WO9-KAU

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 30, 2022

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I’d never heard Spit Mask until now, they are awesome! Thanks!

A Used Game
Jul 10, 2005
Gamestop Special

Yeah! That Spit Mask release is so good. Hope they release more at some point

idk if other people are already into him, but Celldöd absolutely bangs if you want kinda raw-sounding hardware EBM. It's not quite the same sort of thing as Youth Code or Spit Mask, and the vocals are largely just occasional shouts, but he's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rft0WO9-KAU

cool poo poo thanks

MassRafTer posted:

Was FLA headlining? He's moody in general but has been way more into it both times I've seen them headline vs when they were underneath Revco (and Cubanate had just done an insane set before them that there was no way they could follow.)

yeah they were headlining, i've seen them before and he was super into it. This last time he just kinda stood in place and mumbled out the lyrics like he was reading them off a sheet of paper. It was weird cause everyone else was killing it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Really been digging Qual recently.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
why did revolting cocks not tour with death grips for their last show

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Front 242 was great, they played a good well rounded set. Seeing Rhys Fulber open up for them was amazing, it's great to see that guy solo live. Got a tour shirt and danced my rear end off despite getting both my shots that morning.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 17, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody else check out the new Noise Unit yet?

I've only listened to it once so far but I can already tell it's way better than the rather bland last FLA album (Mechanical Soul). The previous Noise Unit album (Deviator) was really solid too. I kinda wondered if the difference between the two was the late Jeremy Inkel, but his untimely passing was in 2018 so the dates don't really add up (unless they mined a ton of old unreleased stuff for NU). Alone Again is the standout track and he's confirmed to have worked on it, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
there's a new Pig album, and I like it :stare:

https://pigindustries.bandcamp.com/album/the-merciless-light

I've been on a kick lately of big, doomy 80s/90s synth-heavy poo poo like Shriekback, so it fits that this would click with me, but this is pretty wild -- has Jim Davies on guitar and some of the synthesizer work going on behind stuff is just fuckin great. I remember being not especially impressed with whatever the last Pig album was, which I also think was quite a while ago, so I was pretty skeptical here, but I think this bangs pretty good.

The interplay between aggressive synths and aggressive guitar works well, I think. Pig has always done that but never with Jim Davies.

edit: I think this is much, much better than the new KMFDM that I was firmly meh on.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 16, 2023