Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

As far as I can tell, all the gigs here in Toronto are being booked by a Sophia Varadan, and it seems like she won't last forever. Maybe you can help her. At least the market's bigger.

Oh god she's the worst. She's literally the craziest promoter in the country. I was hoping she had imploded by now. You have no idea how many tours she's hosed up the immigration paperwork for that I've had to spend two days on the phone fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is The Birthday Massacre not particularly well-liked around here or something?

I actually rather like some of their stuff, but I fear that I may have (dun dun DUNNN) bad taste in music.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

I love The Birthday Massacre but I wouldn't really lump them in this genre.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

WickedIcon posted:

I actually rather like some of their stuff, but I fear that I may have (dun dun DUNNN) bad taste in music.

We spoke about them briefly in the previous thread. My friends poo poo on me for liking them, but there seemed to be quite a few people here that really enjoy TBM.

While I enjoy their new release, I still think Walking With Strangers is a better album. It's a little more varied, which I find amusing considering before they really 'clicked' for me I thought I was listening to the same song over and over.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Something I don't think I saw in this, or the last thread: C-Drone Defect. youtube.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
TBM mix guitars and synths and that's usually a pretty direct route to my heart.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I actually haven't listened to Pins and Needles, but Violet and Walking with Strangers are both great.

And really, while they're not quite industrial music, synthrock (especially with the kind of aesthetic they have) is close enough to merit discussion in this thread, especially since there don't seem to be enough bands playing it for a thread of its own.

Funny story: the person that introduced me to TBM was a girl who I knew because she was cheating on her boyfriend with my best friend. I rationalized it away as her boyfriend being an rear end in a top hat (he is) and it wound up biting me in the rear end when she turned out to be a psychotic bitch. I will always be grateful to her for introducing me to TBM, though. :3:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Pope Guilty posted:

TBM mix guitars and synths and that's usually a pretty direct route to my heart.

Then keep an eye on my girlfriend's band, Axxon. I know I've plugged them in the thread earlier, but they've got some new tracks coming soon which are really great. It's TBM meets old-school industrial with guitars. Once they get around to releasing some of the new material I'll definitely post an update.

Photos from their performance at Ramfest V earlier this year. They played on the metal stage, but blew a lot of people away!

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?

WickedIcon posted:

Funny story: the person that introduced me to TBM was a girl who I knew because she was cheating on her boyfriend with my best friend. I rationalized it away as her boyfriend being an rear end in a top hat (he is) and it wound up biting me in the rear end when she turned out to be a psychotic bitch. I will always be grateful to her for introducing me to TBM, though. :3:

My ex-gf introduced me to TBM. She also ended up being a psychotic bitch. I guess that says something about the kind of people that listen to TBM :v:

When I talk to friends about music I use the term "industrial" pretty loosely, applying it to synthrock too. It's similar enough. Personally I really love synthrock and industrial metal type stuff. I wish Orgy would come back, their style is pretty much the sweet spot for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just can't forgive Orgy for being that band that everybody thinks "Blue Monday" is by.

Julien-K is aces though.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Q: Has Seabound come out with a new album yet?

A: Has Access released a new Virus?

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Birthday Massacre totally belongs in this thread and they loving rule. Pins and Needles was fantastic.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

down1nit posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA`

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

down1nit posted:

I want the TI Snow so bad.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The new ohGr album, unDeveloped has leaked. If you're into the darker grittier aspects of Puppy (as opposed to the smoother updated sounds they've been playing with on those last two LP's) then this album should definitely be worth checking out come May 10th.

In honor of this ultimately forgettable event, here's a blurb about the dude's taste for horror movies.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/music/1586

Mr. Brownstone seems to be his new persona. Keen. Should make for some delightful live performances.

d00kie
Feb 22, 2003

You must have been the Dance Commander.. giving out the orders for fun.

Twiin posted:

Oh god she's the worst. She's literally the craziest promoter in the country. I was hoping she had imploded by now. You have no idea how many tours she's hosed up the immigration paperwork for that I've had to spend two days on the phone fixing.

AND HOW! God she's so loving nuts. NUTS NUTS NUTS.
I've dealt with her once, and that was enough. I just wish I had another talent buyer in Toronto, and she does pay good guarantees :(

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

d00kie posted:

AND HOW! God she's so loving nuts. NUTS NUTS NUTS.
I've dealt with her once, and that was enough. I just wish I had another talent buyer in Toronto, and she does pay good guarantees :(

I'll be there in a month!

d00kie
Feb 22, 2003

You must have been the Dance Commander.. giving out the orders for fun.

Twiin posted:

I'll be there in a month!

Hell yes! E-mail me when you're situated. I have a few things that will be primarily US tours, but if you have an exempt venue, I'd love to bring a few shows tht direction if they're going into the Detroit area. She made doing the working papers a loving NIGHTMARE when I was doing the IR / SITD tour, it wasn't until Isaac had me talk to you that I didn't feel like my guys were going to get arrested at any given moment just for breathing.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
To touch on a previous conversation...

There seems to be an abundance of acts in this series of genres that are too repetitive. Beats on 1/4ths and vocoders, etc. Sometimes the more mainstream acts offer a nice break from the uber-ground bands. I mentioned in the last thread a band called "William Control" that I happen to like despite it not being too industrial, which is a good example of what I mean by breaking the monotony but staying in familiar territory. And for more mainstream acts that are always catchy, I also enjoy Blaqk Audio. If it sounds good, I won't apologize for liking it.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I also added the Mirrorshades radio station to the OP because it's pretty rad.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Godmachine posted:

And for more mainstream acts that are always catchy, I also enjoy Blaqk Audio.

Blaqk Audio is pretty awesome. I don't really care for AFI at all, but I saw a video of Davey Havok singing on stage with VNV Nation. Then I found an interview where he lists the content of his workout ipod and it includes Covenant, Iris, and (even more surprisingly) Echo Image. Then he put out the Blaqk Audio album and it was good. So I bought it.

Also I think there's an Assemblage 23 remix of Miss Murder.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Blaqk Audio is pretty awesome. I don't really care for AFI at all, but I saw a video of Davey Havok singing on stage with VNV Nation. Then I found an interview where he lists the content of his workout ipod and it includes Covenant, Iris, and (even more surprisingly) Echo Image. Then he put out the Blaqk Audio album and it was good. So I bought it.

Also I think there's an Assemblage 23 remix of Miss Murder.

I was a fan of AFI before I ever got into this type of music, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out Davey was a fan of all these acts that I was. You can tell they are having a really fun time with Blaqk Audio. CexCells has some really good songs on it, but there are some that are just rather blah. I don't recall hearing an Assemblage remix of Miss Murder, but there is a VNV one.

Jade's (of Blaqk Audio) remixes usually suck poo poo. He did a remix of Assemblage 23's 'Spark' and it was terrible. I was hoping it was just a one off thing, but subsequent remixes that I've heard by him have been pretty bad. Oh well - looking forward to their new album this year!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I like AFI, Blaqk Audio, AND VNV Nation... So thanks! I never knew about this.
AFI - "Miss Murder" (VNV Nation remix)

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

hatelull posted:

The new ohGr album, unDeveloped has leaked. If you're into the darker grittier aspects of Puppy (as opposed to the smoother updated sounds they've been playing with on those last two LP's) then this album should definitely be worth checking out come May 10th.

Bleh, I hope this isn't dark stuff. The first two ohGr albums were awesome because they were really poppy music with Ogre singing over it. I never bothered picking up Devils in My Details because it sounded like he was trying to make it sound like Skinny Puppy, and if I wanted to listen to crappy Skinny Puppy I'd just listen to their newer albums.

I actually think the best new Skinny Puppy stuff are songs like Pro-Test and Optimissed, but I guess everyone bitched up a storm so they had to go back and try to retread their old stuff and try to make brappy dark industrial. I wish they'd just make a synthpop album with Ogre rapping in his cut-up processed vocals over it or something like that.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Bleh, I hope this isn't dark stuff. The first two ohGr albums were awesome because they were really poppy music with Ogre singing over it. I never bothered picking up Devils in My Details because it sounded like he was trying to make it sound like Skinny Puppy, and if I wanted to listen to crappy Skinny Puppy I'd just listen to their newer albums.

I actually think the best new Skinny Puppy stuff are songs like Pro-Test and Optimissed, but I guess everyone bitched up a storm so they had to go back and try to retread their old stuff and try to make brappy dark industrial. I wish they'd just make a synthpop album with Ogre rapping in his cut-up processed vocals over it or something like that.

This just might be right up your alley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMgpvTigJdQ

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The second half of the album is basically Skinny Puppy and The Postal Service Make an Album

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

The second half of the album is basically Skinny Puppy and The Postal Service Make an Album

This. "pissage" is everything one would want in a growly brooding Ogre song with oppresive beats, but then "comedown" is such a splendid moment of poppy euphoria. The latter half the album has stuff that you absolutely want to hear if you liked the sunnyPsyop material. I think Undeveloped does a decent attempt and mixing the best of both worlds from his last two solo LPs into one mostly cohesive album.

I've listened to it several times and it has definitely grown on me. I'm hoping he tours just to see how he pulls off that Mr. Brownstone persona live.

Also, the new Puppy record supposedly drops in September.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Rumour from the Skinny Puppy camp is that someone didn't like the new Puppy album (which is why it got shelved), and most of it ended up as the new ohGr instead.

The new Puppy is apparently a NEW new Puppy, explaining the delays.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Twiin posted:

Rumour from the Skinny Puppy camp is that someone didn't like the new Puppy album (which is why it got shelved), and most of it ended up as the new ohGr instead.

The new Puppy is apparently a NEW new Puppy, explaining the delays.

If Mark Walk is still involved it will suck.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

W424 posted:

If Mark Walk is still involved it will suck.

This would be a far more entertaining and interesting perspective had you chose to provide some ammunition for your rather dismissive generalization.

edit: dickish reply was dickish.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 8, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish they had gone more in the direction of Frozen Sky than anything they ended up doing. Skinny Puppy and OhGr are indistinct to the point where you can slap the OhGr name on a Puppy album now and I think that's a loss.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I wish they'd kiss and make nice with Rave and get him back in the fold.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish they had gone more in the direction of Frozen Sky than anything they ended up doing. Skinny Puppy and OhGr are indistinct to the point where you can slap the OhGr name on a Puppy album now and I think that's a loss.

Yes. Frozen Sky is one of my favorite songs made by Key and Ogre. Also what happened with Dave the Rave? I thought he just moved on to other projects and didn't have time for Skinny Puppy anymore. Was there actually some kind of tension between him and the band? Because if so that's a shame. He's really good.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Zaiquiri posted:

Yes. Frozen Sky is one of my favorite songs made by Key and Ogre. Also what happened with Dave the Rave? I thought he just moved on to other projects and didn't have time for Skinny Puppy anymore. Was there actually some kind of tension between him and the band? Because if so that's a shame. He's really good.

Yeah. There are actually a few digs at the SP reformation in Jackalope lyrics and liner notes.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Frozen Sky is so good. I don't know why cEvin Key can still put out awesome solo material and then crap out the poop that's on the new Skinny Puppy albums.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

This would be a far more entertaining and interesting perspective had you chose to provide some ammunition for your rather dismissive generalization.

edit: dickish reply was dickish.

I donīt know, like listening to anything heīs been involved with by Puppy/Ohgr?
Still a dick.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

W424 posted:

I donīt know, like listening to anything heīs been involved with by Puppy/Ohgr?
Still a dick.

That still doesn't accurately address (and mostly what I'm curious about) what it exactly is about his involvement that is so bothersome. Is it his approach to melody? The way he plays around with the 8-bit sound? Vocoding vocals? The pop attributes he brings to the mix?

Or, is this just a grandiose way of saying "Last Rights was the last proper Puppy album, and everything else has been varied attempts at fail."

I mean, I can understand that view and sentiment even without agreeing fully to it. However, at least that would be more conversation inducing than simply saying "Mark Walk sucks and everything he touches is vile."

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Die Krupps cancelled opening for FLA/m.i.a.b. in Toronto

Conjure One is opening instead!!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

That still doesn't accurately address (and mostly what I'm curious about) what it exactly is about his involvement that is so bothersome. Is it his approach to melody? The way he plays around with the 8-bit sound? Vocoding vocals? The pop attributes he brings to the mix?

It was a completely different band after he got involved, one that sounds like an approximation what "the kids" might be into at the time. The first Ohgr album was kind cool, Iīll admit that. I donīt want IDM/bitpop and poo poo like that if I want to listen to Skinny Puppy, nor it to be turned to cutesy fluff for gothy teens.

Other point is that sound quality mystically went to poo poo with him onboard, synths sound like lovely VAs and things like Devils In My Details. Iīm not sure who/where it was mixed by but I thought it was a leaked raw mix when I heard it.

Iīve not been able to listen to the "new" stuff simply because its feels like a completely different, inferior band.

Or it is easier to pin the blame on him, rather than accept that this is what they really want to sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I cannot really speak to how much Walk influenced the sound on those last two LP's. He was very much part of the production, since he has credits galore. However, I still think the main driving force behind the sound was Key and Ogre. Key's other material (Download, platEAU, et al) approaches more of a "techno" sound than his earlier stuff (Eyes of Stanley Pain or even III) so I think this is just the direction they decided to take the sound. Admittedly, I would love to see Return to Too Dark Park but a look back to that on an album would probably not sound anywhere near as tasty as my nostalgic fantasies.

I like the poppy sentiments that Ogre brings to the table on his solo material. WELT and sunnyPsyop are great records, but yeah .. it's not classic Puppy. If one goes in looking for that there is bound to be disappointment.

Regardless of what you think about the new albums, I would still encourage you to catch the live acts. Both projects (ohGr and Skinny Puppy) are definitely worth seeing. Where Puppy might veer toward some "oonzt oonzt" moments on the album, live they still bring the grittiness and anger. "Assimilation" live on that last tour was absolutely deadly.