Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I didn't see this posted, but am really impressed with this new 2014 song and video from old-timey band Click Click:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZlh6OIcGlA

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

I like it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ogre demanded real blood for his theatrics this go-round - but he was insisting on theirs. Or was VNV supposed to fulfill the backstage rider with the bowl of M&Ms sans the brown ones.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Hmm, Pomona isn't THAT far away, so maybe I will go to that show after all. I missed Skinny Puppy last year for the first time since I started following them. (A baby sort of monopolizes your life....)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

The Cleaner posted:

In my lame opinion, Seeming was easily the most intelligent and well thought out album released this year, probably the past 5-10 years. Maybe that's not enough for most folks, but Christ almighty the thought and intelligence put into 99% of industrial lyrics now are "You are my diseeeasse" + distortion pedal + dance beat. And no, it wasn't always that way. It used to be thought-provoking. experimental and unpredictable. Anyway I don't share the exact same tastes as ID:UD myself but I can definitely see why they picked that album.

Yeah, in the 80's "Industrial" used to be a nice catch-all term for just about anything experimental involving electronics or noise. I mean, Legendary Pink Dots would get lumped into the genre. In the 90's, maybe that stuff started getting lumped under the ever-expanding "Electronica" umbrella instead. Nowadays everything is categorized down to the genus and species, and I think it can become a creative straight-jacket. Also, honestly, the most creative new talent isn't probably looking to limit themeselves to this musty "genre".

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Halloween Jack posted:

For quite awhile, all I had heard from Numan was the news that he was moving from England to Santa Monica because he woke up especially white and rich one morning. Then he released Splinter and I remembered that you can never count him out as a serious musician even when you can't take him seriously as a human being.

As I guy that used to live 5 minutes from Santa Monica and wasn't rich or a terrible human being - gently caress you.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Halloween Jack posted:

You misunderstand me. After the 2011 riots, he said he was leaving England because his small, affluent village was supposedly overrun with thugs.

Ah. Were the "thugs" brown?

The way I read the comment was obviously from the other end. Santa Monica is a bit infamous in Southern California for being very progressive - it's treatment of the homeless, environmental initiatives, etc. - despite the affluence of many of its residents. So it was kind of weird for me to see what I thought was a characterization of Santa Monica as something closer to Orange County.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There's a whole bunch of screenings during May of Industrial Soundtrack For The Urban Decay, a documentary about the origins of industrial music. Really excited at getting the chance to see this, since I've been keeping an eye on it for a while. Might interest a bunch of folk here I suspect!

http://www.industrialsoundtrack.com/

Nice. I don't get out much lately because I have a 2-year-old, but the LA screening isn't too far from home. But I think I might do this - thanks for the heads up.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

babyturnsblue posted:

You now what I want really bad? A Skinny Puppy Chainsaw shirt. I've been looking for over a year now, and can't find one in my size. I went so far as to make my own, but I can't get any of those t-shirt sites to print it. :mad:

I have one :smuggo:

I wanted a tour shirt (cleanse fold) instead, but is seemed like they always ran out of them by the time their tours would hit LA - at least the first few times I saw them. I missed out on a vivisect vi tour shirt for the same reason.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Santa Ana - dang.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Extra posted:

Curious if I could ask the thread a favor. Looking for more albums/artists similar to Tommi Stumpff's Ultra album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9vKGL4mbA

So far the closest I've been able to find is A Split-Second, Bigod 20's early work, and Armageddon Dildos. e: and maybe Blok 57 but their albums don't have the same what I could only describe as synthpop sound. It could be delving through the depths of EBM producers could be the issue when Ultra could be categorized as "hard" synthpop.

Any suggestions appreciated, it seems this stuff was only being produced in the late 1980s but I could be mistaken.

Well, I hear a lot of early Front 242 in that song, though I'm sure you didn't miss that.

Some of Die Warzau's stuff might fit, like Jack Hammer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3RKt3rdiVM or Land of the Free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDEptgP08g

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 16, 2015

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Tonsure - it's a good look.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
That tweet is invalid because of the misuse of "you're" instead of "your". :smuggo:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
For me, Artificial Soldier was the first great FLA album since Tactical Neural Implant. Millennium and FLAvour of the Weak at least sounded unique, but everything else in that large swathe of time sounded samey to me, except for a standout track here and there. I still bought the albums and went to see their shows, though...

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I have a soft spot for Gashed Senses and Crossfire because I saw them on tour in a cool little venue (Club Post-Nuclear in Laguna Beach) and Bill was nice enough to sit at a table afterwards to sign autographs and chat with the fans.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Babby Sathanas posted:

You are right OH NOOOO to be fair I have just woke up! I'll have to relisten to Implode today to work out why it's placed so highly in my stupid stupid brain.

Bounding around to morning chores to Caustic Grip because I feel like I was too negative on it and remembering how great Provision is. Lol as if FLA aren't catchy.

Mental Distortion was always my favorite....

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Kaddish posted:

Revolting Cocks are doing six dates with their 2011 WaxTrax! 30th anniversary lineup: Richard23, Chris Connelly, Luc Van Acker, Paul Barker. I was at that show and it was a ton of fun. I'll be at the Tampa show.

http://www.side-line.com/ex-revolting-cocks-members-reunite-for-6-usa-dates-as-the-cocks/

Boo - no LA stop :(

I missed them twice in their heyday because they had the uncanny knack for coming to town in the middle of finals week.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Prop Wash posted:

Here we split and I saw Editors instead. They played an excellent set - I knew very little about Editors previously, except that they were really popular. They turned out to be a great closing band! Kind of a new wave/indie rock thing, a little bit like Joy Division I guess? Here's some songs if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvBLM86lP9s Life is a Fear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugWtuTmiGLM Munich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKdDgtT18EA A Ton of Love (Live)

Editors are the bee's knees, and I'm glad to have seen them live once years ago - they're really good live as you saw. Besides Joy Division I hear Echo and the Bunnymen when I listen to them (A Ton of Love is a great example of this).

I'll add some more Editors songs because why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg2vpkGQadM Formaldehyde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cov-xFYmYyU An End Has a Start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhKKy2EoWu8 Someone Says

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

magiccarpet posted:

I saw Editors open for Hot Hot Heat.
I am old.

I compared them to Echo and the Bunnymen. I saw Echo and the Bunnymen live in support of Songs to Learn and Sing in 1985. I'm Methuselah.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

A human heart posted:

Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails

e: hell, basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

Oh. You're one of those....

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I call it all industrial and don't give a flying fig what a "purist" wants to label it. At one time "industrial" used to be a great blanket term for a lot of varied, interesting music.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Jeeze - I didn't know that Peter Christopherson had died - it happened a few months after my son was born so I wasn't paying much attention to the outside world then. What a bummer.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Evil Off is one of their best albums, IMO. For context, Front 242 had been getting a bit stale in my opinion. Up Evil changed the feel in a good way, but I think every song was improved by the way they deconstructed them in Evil Off. ("Melt" is the only track I really dug from Up Evil, fwiw.)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

david_a posted:

I think you are right. After listening to it a few more times (without immediately following it with Evil Off) some of the tracks stand out more.

... but Evil Off still doesn't do much for me. I can maybe agree that they were starting to get stale, but I can't remember a single track from this album when I'm done listening to it :shrug:

Heh. Different strokes and all that.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I bought one wumpscut cd years ago when I found it in my local Tower (this was obviously in dinosaur times) and it was just the same lame song remixed 10 different ways. I had heard good things about the music, but never bothered to take a chance again on wumpscut for what in those days were essentially blind buys.

That said, I'm old school and I never get mad if an artist complains about digital downloads and not getting paid.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Future Days posted:

Y'all just a bunch of [TRIGGERED] snowflakes!

I mean, there is humor in transgression, but there are a variety of funny ways you can show you want out of jury duty that are more clever and not racist. And the kind of joke you'd tell a friend who knows you and where you are coming from is not the same kind of joke you blast on Twitter.

He just seems dumb all around, but he is a drummer, after all..... (band joke, don't kill me)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

DasNeonLicht posted:

I tried to get into Cabaret Voltaire in college, but could never really swallow their critically acclaimed experimental stuff. Your comment inspired me to take another look into their catalog, and I discovered C.O.D.E. which is incredible. New summer album — give me that smooth industrial funk.

Don't Argue is the highlight, imo.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Delirium and Pandemonium-era Killing Joke are the only ones that come to mind (yeah, I'm stretching the boundaries).

Edit: SPK and maybe Controlled Bleeding and Chris & Cosey, too.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 10, 2017

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Photex posted:

3TEETH back in the studio and already making my pants tight

https://www.facebook.com/3Teeth/videos/764278283696995/

That's some sweet old-school arpeggios going on.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Counterpoint - Bill Leeb was the only Industrial artist who I ever met, because he went to the merchandise area after the show to chat with fans and sign autographs (1989, Club Post Nuclear). He seemed like a down-to-earth dude.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Tactical Neural Implant was one of the best live shows I ever saw, but it was the only show I ever saw stoned out of my gourd, so that helped. They were a good live act when I saw them , but the last show I saw was ages ago (Implode, maybe - though the last time I bought a shirt was Hard Wired).

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

hatelull posted:

Looks like ogre is finally getting around to releasing that new ohGr record he's been sourcing for what seems like a year or more. I believe the album is dropping extremely soon and he announced a tour with Lead Into Gold.

Soo ... there's that.

Lead Into Gold? Sweet.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

A human heart posted:

what does he think the precarious situation actually is?

Preserving Roman culture despite the teeming Barbarian hordes that threaten to overrun it, I imagine. The Visigoths are at the door, don't you know....

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

LET'S GO

Caustic Grip - Best and only FLA album I ever want to listen to because it is SO GOOD and SO PERFECT

Tactical Neural Implant - If Caustic Grip didn't exist and I had to listen to another FLA album instead, I'd listen to this one but there'd be a gap in my life

Gashed Senses & Crossfire - Album I sometimes think is good then remember actually it's only No Limit and Digital Tension Dementia that I like

All other FLA albums - whatever.

My man, let me commend you on your impeccable taste.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Sorry, but I unapologetically loved Voodoo-U back in the day, so I say it belongs. :colbert:

I prefer Big Sexy Land if you're going to do Revolting Cocks.

I know I'm in the minority by pegging EVIL Off as my favorite Front 242 album.

Cabaret Voltaire's best for me is Arm of the Lord.

For missing bands, besides the ones mentioned by other posters, I'd add Severed Heads.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

precision posted:

Evil Off is technically my favorite 242 album, but I think it barely counts as one, if that makes sense.

It absolutely makes sense.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My favorites were every other album Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse, Vivisect VI, and Too Dark Park were my favorites - and I was less keen on Cleanse, Fold & Manipulate, Rabies, and Last Rights overall (though each still had tracks I loved).

I liked "industrial" being a catch-all term for a wide variety of music. Hyphenated micro-genres are a creative straight-jacket.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My favorite Last Rights tracks were Mirror Saw, Riverz End, Circustance, and Download. Didn't much care for the rest.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Kvlt! posted:

I'm a massive Skinny Puppy fan but never got into Key's non-SP stuff. Is it all worth listening to? Anything stand out that I should start with?

To add - get the first Tear Garden album, "Tired Eyes Slowly Burning." It's of that era and is fantastic. I'm also a fan of Download's "III" and the newest one I quite like, "Unknown Room."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
PatriotismA claim of hacking is the last refuge of the scoundrel.