Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I like the Mirrorshades stream: http://mirrorshades.org/wc/radio.shtml
It's still up and running even though the person who maintained it died, apparently... Basically it's a playlist on shuffle, but there's lots of good stuff in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Furret Basket posted:

I used to listen to Digital Gunfire all the time.
That, or Dark Asylum Radio (which I prefer, I like the music more and they have more mixed-up things where they keep it going for a while).

Also, Radio Schwarze Welle if you don't mind the German.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I like it quite a bit, even though I never got into their older stuff!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Heh, that Blutengel track sounds a lot more poppy than how I remember it! What happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHGCJVw0FQ4

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The stream in the OP is dead, and has been for a while :(
Time to find a different one?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yes, thanks for the link! Your stuff is good, but your artist name is too drat hard to remember, no wonder no one is listening to it :v:

Also, you should get some song previews up on last.fm somehow.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Good stuff, reminds me of Fractured a bit.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

FLA is playing a freaking sweet-rear end setlist on their EU tour and now I'm doubly pissed they aren't coming anywhere near Finland this time. Goddamnit.

Good to hear, I'm going there!

I'm one of those weird people who usually prefers the newer ebm but this should be good fun anyway.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Saw the FLA show and it was indeed awesome. There was some wubstep (which Haujobb was making fun of beforehand) but they also played plenty of classics, like Plasticity which was probably the high point of the show for the crowd. Surprisingly, they also put AirMech in there, which made for a nice interlude. I quite liked some of their new songs anyway, in particular, "Blood" stood out during the performance.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Hedenius posted:

Debut album by Technomancer is fantastic. An Apoptygma Berzerk cover and co-produced by an ex-member of Apoptygma Berzerk. Good news for everyone who weren't thrilled by Apoptygma Berzerk turning into Avril Lavigne.

Debut? You should check out their previous album Mindspace, it is pretty good! Didn't catch this one yet but this sounds promising.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

teethgrinder posted:

Just heard Seabound in a random Toronto pub tonight (C'est What?). I think it was just satellite radio :what:

Did you hear Eurovision songs too? Maybe they were streaming gbs.fm.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Methanar posted:

So what seperates this genre from other similar ones like Hardstyle or dnb?

Whats the actual appeal or key element of it

Intelligence? :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

teethgrinder posted:

The Seabound lyricist is a professor of Psychology
Everything makes sense now! :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Edit: Woah, looks like Laibach is playing Spectre pretty much in its entirety apart from The Parade and Just Say No! on their current tour. What a bummer they're skipping Finland this time around :(
Yeah, pretty much! There was kind of a buildup, they performed the most interesting songs (i.e. the good old ones) towards the end. Only in the encore there was "Tanz mit Laibach" and a few other oldies, and that was clearly what the crowd got the most excited about. They can apparently still do it, they just don't want to...
I saw them and it was a bit artsy and incoherent, but I guess it came together a bit at the end. They really could have made a better show out of the new album though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Maybe I'm the one out of touch, but I like to think that electro-industrial is my thing and I have never heard of any of those artists! It sounds like a mix of experimental electronic and ambient music. No EBM beat or industrial harshness or vocals, I doubt the people in this thread will agree with your "harsh and abrasive" description :v: I like it though, it's nice background music and has good variety.

Industrial is also a genre of its own, which comes from alternative music (goths :drac:) and is not necessarily closely related to the current techno/edm/idm/electro/dubstep stuff, only containing some influences of it. Though I don't know if the challenge meant for you to mix that stuff up.

Haven't listened to it but here's an example of what your average goth would consider to be an electro-industrial mix these days: https://soundcloud.com/nachtplan/nachtplan-tanz-vol15 (appears to be mostly new tracks I don't know, but this guy produces lots of these).

I'm sure people in this thread know of, or have made, better examples.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 17, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Also, there's the genres of dark ambient and martial industrial, which are often going for something similar that you were going for I think, so maybe you'd like that stuff!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
If you want to hit what is actually considered 'industrial' rather than electro-industrial you'd need a lot more guitars than the thing I posted, too.

Listening to a genre's tag on Grooveshark (or equivalent service) for a while is a good way to get a general feel for it. If you put 'industrial' there you get Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Laibach and even some Rammstein. If you put 'electronic body music' or ebm you'll get something closer to the mix I posted except without the constant beat which is there because it's a mix, and probably more slow songs / intelligible lyrics.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That is true and you should never talk about genres on the internet really. I was talking of the kind of definition that you'd find on streaming sites or if you'd look at the most popular bands only.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
There are a few synthpop-like bands that I ran into along the way... For new stuff, I quite liked this Machinista song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONkLtJMrt4

Then there was Echo Image, De/Vision if that counts, Iris, The Human League, Ladytron... Code 64 or Frozen Plasma if that isn't futurepop.
But there's also a bunch more artists that I can't really remember because they sound samey, indeed.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I was at a FLA show last year and it was pretty diverse... There was latest album wubstep, everyone dancing to Plasticity, some old stuff, and noisy interludes.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I guess I should post more often. Neuroticfish has been a regular on my playlist for years, though I know not everyone likes him, and some of the songs are just... weird.
This is fun though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Rx9S7dvD4
and of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiaP3Nsu_q8

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah it's their catchphrase, I think there's at least one reference to that phrase and the website in every release. Most clearly in The Bomb which was posted above!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ohh, looks nice! But there's also gonna be this goth thingy with a great lineup for that genre in Belgium: http://www.blackeaster.be/en/home/

Decisions, decisions...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I was coming from more mainstream electro and trance stuff, particularly psytrance. Though I was also listening to some metal at the time, and this seemed like a good combination.
Psytrance does seem particularly popular among people listening to industrial/noise that I know, and it makes sense to me. Weird sounds, whee!

I don't know about the kids these days. There seems to be more interaction between genres. Like Combichrist on the Rammstein tour, and I'm seeing a bunch of general alternative festivals with metal, industrial, goth, d&b / electronic hardcore and other alternative things all scheduled together, so there could be all sorts of crossovers where people see something new that they like at such an event.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Flesh Field Hockey
Curling Kultür
Icon of Foil
Raced In Black
Aerobicforcen
Feindluge
Sin.thoil Squad
Pitchlifter
Pentathlon Nine
Angelsprint

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I think the fact that most of those vids have anime backgrounds should tell you enough.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Quirk posted:

I need speed someone please tell me what sounds like an industrial band on speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=legLvV-SL6c

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Nightcore looks like a no-effort version of happy hardcore. If you mix that with an 'industrial' influence you get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZYNPYp6M8
yeah...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
No, it sounds like faster j-pop because of the high-pitched voices it causes. I think you need to have built up some immunity through years of Japan exposure to be able to stand that poo poo.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ah, the good old 'industrial/ebm is dead' discussion... The problem in this genre is that bands from older generations don't break up, you can still go see a DAF or Skinny Puppy show if you want. This reduces the visibility of new groups, but they do exist, they're just not very well known. Seconding the I Die: You Die.recommendation for hearing some of it.

e: And yeah, the old bands also bring out new albums that are sometimes good, like Borghesia last year.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
When I went to a VNV Nation show it was one of the most active crowds I've seen, everyone was dancing. He only yelled at people who were filming or putting their glasses on the stage. I never had the chance to see Covenant though, unfortunately.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
A surprisingly difficult question, I had a quick look on last.fm and pretty much none of them are blonde! If it was pink it'd be easier.
e: maybe Suicidal Romance? She is blonde sometimes

Entropist fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 16, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

:lol: this band looks like a really lovely Blutengel knockoff / tribute band or something
A more trancey version of it, I guess. The songs all sound the same but I enjoy it anyway, it's such cheesy goth stuff :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I listen to a lot of futurepop, so I thought I'd check those claims...

Their song "Eisfabrik" is basically SITD sounds, but with nothing interesting happening. The song is not quite as trancey as 2000s futurepop, but they're not exactly the first to deviate in that way.
Other songs also reminded me a bit of Nachtmahr and various bands that go in a more poppy direction. Musically I could accept it as just another one of those bands, but the lyrics also seem quite dumb compared to the bands they try to sound like so it's not worth the effort.

e: If I have to make a positive comparison, it's a bit like Culture Kultur. "Polar Night" reminds me of that. But I'd still rather listen to that, the vocals are much better and the music less plain.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 30, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
On last.fm their similar artists are all bands I've never heard of that are tagged as both synthpop and futurepop , so maybe there's a bunch more out there that sounds like them. Not original!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
welp, I guess it's a good thing that I didn't manage to figure out accommodation for Eurorock.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
At least they're still trying in Belgium. In the Netherlands, the organizers of the biggest festival quit, after announcing that they would skip a year last year. Now there's no dedicated festival that I know of, and even shows are getting rarer. Youth Code is coming to Belgium on their Europe tour next week, but not the Netherlands... I'm considering going there for it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Das Waffeleisen :black101:

Bonus Dutch implication: Waffel is a crude worth for mouth, and eisen are demands.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Cool. The stuff from their EP is quite unique and cool and retro. I'm not sure about the new album, the style is quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The Laibach show in North Korea made the Dutch national news today. They were described as a 'metal band', and they put a video of an entire set on the website.

It'll be interesting to see the news tomorrow, I guess

e: Most of the news articles describe it as a 'nazi' band...
Though there was also a radio piece with a North Korea expert who knew his stuff, and they played parts of Queen's One Vision and Geburt einer Nation back to back.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 19, 2015