Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Godmachine posted:

And for more mainstream acts that are always catchy, I also enjoy Blaqk Audio.

Blaqk Audio is pretty awesome. I don't really care for AFI at all, but I saw a video of Davey Havok singing on stage with VNV Nation. Then I found an interview where he lists the content of his workout ipod and it includes Covenant, Iris, and (even more surprisingly) Echo Image. Then he put out the Blaqk Audio album and it was good. So I bought it.

Also I think there's an Assemblage 23 remix of Miss Murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

teethgrinder posted:

Not exactly the same, but Aesthetic Perfection releasing a futurepop album as "Necessary Response" was pretty awesome. Bands can always rebrand.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Forever/2BlC0F?src=5

Now we just need Essential Retort, Immediate Repercussion, etc.

I was actually going to post this but I wanted to listen to the album again before recommending it. The Necessary Response album is pretty good. Nothing that makes you go "holy poo poo this is amazing" but it is very listenable and enjoyable without reminding you why you never bother listening to new artists anymore. I hope he makes a second album. I like Aesthetic Perfection too, but this is much more my style.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I think a less jokey approach to it could yield some excellent results

The most serious approach: click here to witness the strength of street knowledge

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

It looks like you are starting a Deadsy tribute band.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I was trying to find some new bands to listen to the other day and stumbled upon Waiting in Vain, "a new German Rockmatic-Pop act". They are signed to afmusic (never heard of it) and I guess don't distribute outside the country except from their own website.

That first link has a music player in it, and everyone should listen to Awake Again, which is their latest EP. It's one of those songs that (to me) is really good but somehow falls short of being amazing. I think it might just be the mastering or whatever in this case, but I don't know anything about music production. The vocals also aren't the greatest, but I like them in a sort of "this could've been an early demo for Chris Pohl's forgotten ninth band" way.

On a related note, the lyrics are great. I like lyrics where there's some odd wording because English isn't the writer's first language, but you can still mostly understand what they're getting at. This starts out well enough, until it hits the second verse:

quote:

Could you blame gosh for it
You know it's just a four letter word
Why are so many things just pain in my head
He won wars where people died
Peoples starve where others survive
And even dead people can awake again?

If that wasn't from their own website I would have just assumed someone made a terrible attempt at transcribing it.

Are there any good up-and-coming bands to pay attention to? The first album from Dead When I Found Her was great, but other than them I'm completely in the dark as far as emerging talent is concerned.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I went looking for music videos the other day. I knew Blutengel had a video for Reich mir die Hand but I was pleasantly surprised to find one for Über den Horizont as well, since that's pretty easily my favorite song on the album.

Also, uh... I think I might have grown out of Imperative Reaction. There's a video for Surface from their upcoming self-titled album. Gotta say I'm not really feeling this one. Between the choral vocals (which is something I usually love) and that guitarist, the whole thing just gives a different vibe. I think they might have turned into Zeromancer.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Twiin posted:

This was 2002 maybe? 2003? I don't remember exactly. But they were even bigger divas than Bella Morte, and that's saying something.
Bella Morte are huge divas? I want to hear more about this.

Also I wonder what Blutengel's rider is.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is their last album worth going back to and checking out? I thought Tomorrow Never Comes was alright but I remember exactly nothing about the rest of the album.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I only listen to spacepop. You've probably never heard of it. :smug:

The only early Puppy album I've listened to is Mind, so I guess I need to catch up. Also I think Headhunter is the only 242 song I know.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

When I was in Toronto a few years back, I think for Covenant, I met a DJ who said for one of the upcoming nights cover was waived if you were wearing a gas mask, so I guess they're good for that too.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I saw a poster today that said Hanzel und Gretyl are coming to Kitchener for Oktoberfest as part of their tour (also going to Thunder Bay? what?). Is there any recommended listening from them to see if I want to go?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Probably not going to end up going then. The more I look at their site and info, the less I want to go. The whole "we're so German!" thing starts off kind of funny but gets obnoxious really quickly. I mean, they really put "Holy Shiza!" on their tour posters.

Edit: VVVVV You're right, they are. I kind of got that impression just from how over the top everything is, but I dismissed it as them playing it up for publicity. Nope, they're from New York.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 15, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've only given HanDover one listening so far and I don't even remember if I finished it because goddamn Cullorblind is an awesome song.

Also just realized Aesthetic Perfection put out another album not too long ago. This one is a lot more consistently good than his last two. His Necessary Response album influenced this one for the better.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Terrormisu posted:

Doesn't seem like anyone else has posted this yet, M.I.A.B. released an official teaser trailer for the new album with song snippets, on their FB page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_u4JcjTmSA&context=C387287fADOEgsToPDskJ4Q19f1lhLY1VnWnfZz-fK

:drat: That sounds amazing. Only a few weeks to go, too.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't seen him mentioned in this thread before, but Henric de la Cour has some pretty decent stuff. Having a full name like Paul Henric Dornonville de La Cour definitely caught my attention too. Here's a collaboration with Agent Side Grinder, who I've also never heard of but drat do they ever sound familiar.

teethgrinder posted:

Man, the new m.i.a.b. isn't bad, but there aren't any stand-out tracks. It's great that the front-man has found confidence in his voice au natural (and he's good!), but the songs just don't seem to go anywhere. I might have to start paying attention to the story to appreciate this one.
Really? I'd already listened to Remember too many times by the time the album was released but I still love it, and Doubt and Unknown are personal favorites. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that he sang naturally so much on the album though. His voice is fantastic, but mixing it together works really well.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Mind.in.a.Box's Revelations Club.Mixes came out today (in NA, few days ago in EU). Here is the teaser.

That's pretty awesome that Ashbury Heights is still happening. Did he not have a contract with anyone, or did everything just get smoothed out, or what? I was sort of expecting he'd start a new project under a new name if he made more music.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Blutengel is still okay though, right? :ohdear:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I didn't see anyone else mention it, and I completely forgot about it too, but the new Chiasm album, 11:11, came out a few weeks ago. I haven't really given it a concentrated listen yet, but I've gone through it a couple times and I'm liking it a lot more than her previous work. There's a video for the first track, Petals.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff.

Fake edit: Collide, too. Haven't listened to them in a while.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Well, that was a ton of recommendations.

Velcra (and that Turmion Kätilöt track) is pretty fantastic so far. I've never really gotten into Project Pitchfork - I'm not a huge fan of Spilles' singing/voice - but I'm really enjoying the Santa Hates You songs I've listened to. Unter Null and Emilie Autumn (I think I've heard some of her stuff before) also seem pretty good. Going to listen to some more of The Eden House, too, although that one video looks to me like three Andrew Eldritch impersonators and a pirate. I've heard Switchblade Symphony and Kidneythieves before but forgot they exist, so I'll have to give them another go. Prometheus Burning and Prosymna sound good, but not like something I would listen to often. Definitely something I could get lost in though.

I'm not sure why, but I've never acquired a taste for Ayria or Angelspit. Wikipedia also tells me that Angelspit has toured with Blood on the Dance Floor which I hope was a purely financial decision.

I guess "poppy" might have been the wrong word. Catchy? I don't really know. Either way, I've got a bunch of great new stuff to listen to, so thanks for all the suggestions. Here's a cool song by Essexx with Tom Shear doing some guest vocals. I have no idea where I originally heard it and don't know anything about Essexx I actually just learned that the Essexx singer is Sara Noxx, who has done a bunch of stuff.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Tom Shear is a cool guy. I emailed him once when I was younger to ask him some questions that were probably pretty dumb but he still took the time to write a decent-length and polite response to some random kid. :3:

Too bad I don't have that hotmail account any more.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

somethingwicked posted:

I've been waiting for them to actually release a album after hearing their track with Davey Havok. Still waiting. Unless I'm an idiot, but I can't find anything anywhere.
This reminded me that Blaqk Audio exists, and I just found out they released another album last year. Sample here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsoECZzVvu8. It's pretty decent.

I also did not recognize Davey Havok with his new look:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I looked back a few pages but didn't see this brand new Aesthetic Perfection video for Big Bad Wolf.

It definitely sounds like it is from the same album as Antibody. It's catchy enough though.

There are also some remixes on the Bandcamp page. The A23 mix is pretty solid. There's also a mix by :siren:Ashbury Heights:siren: and I have no idea what the next AH album is going to sound like now. I did go to their facebook page though:

Ashbury Heights posted:

I'm gonna say it now so that I can get properly trolled later. 'If you're shooting with the left hand it means the right side is working' is the best song I've ever written.

Edit: Awww yeah

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 29, 2013

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, I cannot even come to grips with people saying that the best industrial is really coming from mainstream hip-hop producers.
I had no idea people were saying that, but this

Twiin posted:

Really? I don't know how you can watch this and not think that Kanye puts on a better industrial show than industrial musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM
is pretty interesting. Is it more than just Kanye doing stuff like this then? I don't really follow hip-hop.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've been listening to Monument a lot too, more than just about everything else that has come out this year. It really is fantastic.

I was actually trying to think of what my favorite releases from this year have been, and for the most part I can't even remember what came out this year any more, apart from Frontline Assembly and Skinny Puppy. Is there a site that keeps track of this or does retrospectives or anything? Normally I just look through this thread or the most recent releases on Metropolis Records, but I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff.

I actually just found out that a new System Syn album came out, for example. Listening to the preview clips right now and it seems decent enough, but I've found I wear out on his stuff fairly quickly.

Also, Metropolis signed BAAL? Had no idea.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sloppy posted:

Are there any good tracks at all? After the last album and Big Bad Wolf I don't think I can stomach a full listen.
I think it's fair to say that if you didn't like Big Bad Wolf you will probably not like anything else on this album.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

boo_radley posted:

what am I looking at there, exactly?
Aesthetic Perfection.

Edit: I actually had that playing because that image reminded me it was a thing. The chorus is catchy at least. I want to hear a somber piano cover of this song.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 2, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I don't remember seeing it posted in this thread (checked back a few pages), but the new THYX album, Super Vision, came out back in March. It's pretty awesome.

There's a video for Robots Don't Lie, and an eight-minute teaser.

Edit: Also, Für Immer is a goddamn fantastic song.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

DeusExMachinima posted:

Angelspit isn't discussed much if at all here which is a goddam war crime. Catch them live. 100 Percent is probably their best known song.
I've never really listened to Angelspit, but the first thing that will always come to mind when I think of them is that they once toured with Blood on the Dance Floor.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I just realized the new Blutengel album came out this month too. This is a good year already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRXahtDX7o

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That La Bomba video is actually what led me to the Out of Line channel where I noticed the new Blutengel material. Unfortunately, it was not the cover of La Bamba I was expecting.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

LabyaMynora posted:

I unironically enjoy Witch House. :colbert:
ID:YD's top 25 for last year has an album by VLHLL in it, which has some really cool songs.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't really checked out 3TEETH, but there's a "rework" of one of their songs by BLKHRTS that is fantastic.

A new BLKHRTS two-track single released yesterday, with one song streamable here (Edit: Should add that there's a :nws: image on the soundcloud stream.) It is also very good.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 7, 2015

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Mr. Kitty just launched an Indiegogo campaign to help cover the costs of his tour this fall supporting IAMX.

No pictures of the merchandise he's selling though. Also, I'm a bit worried that he's going need to spend all the money getting it made - it's stuff exclusive to this campaign, so I don't think it would be things he already has.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Also, from their facebook page:

quote:

I just rediscovered that vocoders are awesome, next album is all about done already but for the one after that: expect robots.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

From ID:YD's Tracks post for today, Aesthetic Perfection is rerecording the Necessary Response album and releasing it as an AP album, along with a new track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMT0UqSJWuo

Edit: After listening to the track a few times, I'm pretty happy with it. The remixes of it on the single are all pretty good too.

Also:

http://alfamatrix.bandcamp.com/album/beware-of-light-feat-chris-pohl-ep

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 1, 2015

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The latest podcast from ID:YD has an interview with DWIFH, too. He says he has made a doom jazz album that he plans to release at some point.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Guilt Noir, the doom jazz album by Michael Arthur Holloway (of DWIFH), is up for preorder. First track is available there now. I'm looking forward to more of this.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ashbury Heights are starting a VLOG where they're going to start releasing demos and taking suggestions on different types of music to make, and also to do whatever else you would want from an Ashbury Heights VLOG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1YxtrDxz3M

Sounds like the next album is mostly done too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I listened to those AP songs again and clicked through to a new song/video and wow, his voice just keeps getting worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazXORYWiFA