Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

Is The Birthday Massacre not particularly well-liked around here or something?

I love The Birthday Massacre but I wouldn't really lump them in this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish they had gone more in the direction of Frozen Sky than anything they ended up doing. Skinny Puppy and OhGr are indistinct to the point where you can slap the OhGr name on a Puppy album now and I think that's a loss.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ha-Ha the wikipedia article on Marilyn Manson specifically names Skold as the the former vocalist of Shotgun Messiah. None of his other bands are mentioned.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I used to own a couple those tribute discs and they are uniformly terrible. Most of the time the cover only vaguely resembles the original song.

There were a couple songs on the early tributes that are probably worth a listen on YouTube, like Psychic TV's cover of Set The Controls, and Download's cover of Download (the SP song).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

On the Litany msg board Mark Walk recently said something like "Why wait till after a show to meet your favorite industrial musicians when you can meet them as Wallmart greeters?". This was in reference to illegal downloading and how it has affected alot of artists especially with industrial being in middle ground, as in not needing to make a name for themselves, yet at the same time not playing arena shows.

Maybe if industrial hadn't shown us practically everything it had to show us by 1992 that wouldn't be the case.

Also, lots of artists work dayjobs. Marilyn Manson was working a dayjob until Antichrist Superstar came out, and I'm sure there are tons more.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What were those tape decks tape traders used to go nuts over? Nakamichis or something like that. I dubbed all my poo poo on a boombox even though you weren't supposed to do that and nobody ever complained. I did, however, have the common decency to turn off Dolby and dub at normal speed on the acceptable brands of tapes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The new Skinny Puppy is done and is called hanDover

The title sounds very OhGr-ish like everything else these days.

On the brighter side Ogre and Rave are back on good terms even if cEvin and Rave might not be.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quirk posted:

I need to know one last thing from you guys: how viscerally angry or disgusted does this image style make you? This is important. The emo is not me.

It doesn't me mad, persay, but it definitely communicates that whatever it's stamped on is not something I'd be interested in.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quirk posted:

I started making this album in 2006 and started over 3 times because my sound sucked my songs sucked everything sucked. Years I've studied what NIN and Manson and Chemlab and everybody did to make something unique and successful, studied A&R after I went through the their thing in 05, marketing, every aspect of what other people would be in charge of if this was a label record. I'm creating a caricature of myself, which I had to bite the bullet that I'm an internet elemental. I'm every stupid emo posting facebook ramblings, bitching about exes, self mutilating, spergin wonderfuck that gravitated to sonic the hedgehog. I posted the instrumentals in the games forum along with the lyrics, and the feedback I got was pretty much expected. I want those that hate it to hate each and every aspect of it, because they don't get that I realize how stupid it is, but I just don't care. Since starting writing this thing, I've gone through 5 computers on this version of the album alone, had to put up with an rear end in a top hat engineer for years to learn, became friends with my favorite bands, moved out of AK for the first time ever, I got people waiting to push me into Hot Topic, and Birthday Massacre is down to let me tour with them god drat I have to make sure every little aspect of this is done right if I'm going to make sure it's successful. This will be it, not the start of a career or anything just one album. If I can successfully commercially sell myself then people will look at that as gold portfolio material. Then maybe I can get a normal 9 to 5 job maybe at a marketing company maybe the'll call me back from one of these interviews and maybe I can some semblance of stability :suicide:

what

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Obligatory Douglas is/isn't a nazi.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Birthday Massacre is pretty much the only new thing in the goth/industrial genre that I've heard in the past 10 years that hasn't sucked poo poo. They're good live, too!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quick note on TBM, I was checking if they have any tour dates coming up (they don't) and apparently they have a new EP coming out early in August.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

OwlBot 2000 posted:

You can enjoy Peter Murphy songs even if you aren't a Muslim (even the overtly religious ones) and you can enjoy DIJ's music too whether Doug is a fascist, communist, or just a chubby Australian homosexual.

I just looked this up and indeed, Peter Murphy has been a muslim for 20 years, how did I never know this until now? I'm very surprised for some reason.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's also up on Spotify.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Tell them that you're a Muslimgauze fan, that'll probably stop them sending you stuff!

Yeah but then you'll get killed by the Mossad.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

sethsez posted:

The samples from Handover (gently caress capitalizing it their way) sound pretty promising. Sounds more like ohGr than Skinny Puppy, but I think that's a given at this point.

That's pretty much what I was gonna say.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Otto Von Schirach helped out on TGWOTR so there is in fact a chance he helped out on this too. But from I've been told that track was co-created by fellow Subcon artist "Bananasloth".

:ssh: Bananasloth is cEvin Key in a suit.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are considered some 'classic' industrial albums?

Too Dark Park by Skinny Puppy, and once you've acclimated yourself to more abstract industrial, Last Rights.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Right now there's the issue of who would actually be getting paid for any potential coil record since they're both dead and the stuff was almost all self-released.

Thresholdhouse is pretty much just the dude that mails packages without John and Sleazy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I saw a poster today that said Hanzel und Gretyl are coming to Kitchener for Oktoberfest as part of their tour (also going to Thunder Bay? what?). Is there any recommended listening from them to see if I want to go?

I used to be a big HuG fan but I don't like the way they keep flirting with a nazi aesthetic. I don't think they have any actual nazi sympathies but I definitely think they're guilty of courting an audience that does.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Industrial has always been totally over the edge, bro, it's just that people are harder to shock now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess I just don't give a poo poo about Skinny Puppy anymore. Listened to 3 of the tracks on Youtube and while they were interesting they weren't anything I'd want to listen to more than a few times.

I think I've just gotten tired of most industrial. Even the thought of throwing on Psalm 69 or Too Dark Park just doesn't do it for me anymore.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't say I've ever edited music other than doing the mono trick with really layered music to see what pops out of the mix.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Out of sheer curiosity what do you find you listen to currently?

If you say Combichrist I'll poo poo.

Not a whole lot of industrial and definitely not Combichrist. The stuff that still interests me pretty much tends toward the avant-garde and neo-folk side of things. So stuff like TG, Coil, and Current 93.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

So, I guess you keep the Legendary Pink Dots and the Tear Garden in your play list? Not exactly Coil, but those projects go off into some fairly awesome psychedelia laced soundscapes.

Neither Edward Ka-Spel nor cEvin Key's non-Skinny Puppy work really do much for me, honestly. The only Key project I've really enjoyed I've really enjoyed was Eyes Of Stanley Pain and I think that was largely Spybey's vocals taking the project in a bit of a Puppyish direction.

I might be still interested in Puppy if I felt they were making really interesting music still, but IMO the post-reunion music have been the worst stuff they've put out. I really really wish Frozen Sky had been the blueprint for the reunited band moving forward, it's more Puppyish than anything else they've done recently despite technically being a cEvin track with Ogre guest vocals.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

Not to turn this into a ugly drag out fight, but even by the early to mid 90's wasn't the "Goth Scene" mostly played out? I mean, by that point the Sisters were just a legend and some LP's, the Cure were writing rubbish like "Friday, I'm in Love", the Pups were quickly on their way to indefinite hiatus, and Reznor turned a lot of it into arena rock while Cleopatra quietly put Tribute albums out ad nauseum.

That whole thing reached it's zenith in the mid 80's right?

Well, yeah, basically, but don't conflate goth and industrial because they're two different genres. Industrial bands were still releasing genre-defining albums until 1995 or so.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to pop in here and show off a poster I just had framed.

I've had it for a while, but didn't have a good place to put it. I just moved though, so I got to start over in terms of decoration, so this guy is now hovering over the sofa.

It's a badass poster. I used to have one signed by cEv, Ogre, and Dwayne but sadly I never got around to framing it and eventually sold it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Skinny puppy ripoffs generally fail to capture both unique noisiness of the music, and their ear for strange pop hooks.

So you end up with something that sounds kinda noisy, yet at the same time you can tell what kind of synth it was made on...and something that has some pop sensibility but doesn't quite reach the point where it's catchy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

1. So you made this because you got a bunch of e-mails about women who felt bad over that video? That's the huge negative effect on the female population and female rights?

That's enough to be worth raising a concern over because the normalization of sexism is bad. If you're making a specific minority group in the audience feel bad you need to reconsider the message you're sending.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quirk posted:

Becuase it's a dead genre of children who like everything related to the music more than music itself.

Can you blame them, honestly? Some of these people were in grade school when industrial was still relevant musically.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I always liked Laibach's response when being asked if they were fascists. 'We're fascists in the same sense that Hitler was a painter.'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I haven't listened to much Skinny Puppy in the last few years but I'm really really diggin that track. Feels like a step away from the sound of their last two albums, which is a good thing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

I had a chance to visit someone who got a copy of weapon from ogre himself and listened to (some of) it.

gotta say that its better than I expected it to be. those who really hated handover will be pleasantly surprised with this album. it really sounds like skinny puppy's renaissance. also, the "remake" of solvent was a joy to listen to.

Does it sound like Skinny Puppy or does it sound like the weird hybrid OhGr/SP thing they've had going on for a while now?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

sethsez posted:

I really like the new material (just like I really like Ohgr), but the tracks released so far have sounded like a pretty natural progression from the last few albums, not a huge leap or anything. I'm beginning to worry that Skinny Puppy are going to fall into the KMFDM trap of every album being carried by a train of "it finally sounds different" hype, only for people to remember that Lucia will never be En Esch and Mark Walk will never be Dwayne when it finally comes out and still sounds like they have since the reunion.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this is the case. It's sad how many bands fall into this exact category for me. You keep waiting for that next album to be like the classics you fell in love with but it never happens.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think the issue is so much that they're not retreading the TDP sound or whatever (and Skinny Puppy's sound has changed a lot from album-to-album so there is no definitive classic sound), it's just that the post-reunion stuff just flat out isn't as good as the stuff they did before. I'd be perfectly content if they did an album that was an entirely new sound for them, but with songwriting as good as the old stuff. Thus far it hasn't happened.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think where things went wrong for me for Skinny Puppy/OhGr was around 2001-2002 or so. I wish OhGr still sounded like the first album/tour, and I wish the proper Skinny Puppy material was more in the vein of Frozen Sky, than anything the bands actually ended up doing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

What do you guys specifically not like about the albums after Welt?

It had great pop sensibilities and was overall a very positive and fun record. I was completely surprised by it because the only thing we had heard of the WELT project before 2001 was Noreen which was way more in the vein of Skinny Puppy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One thing I will say about it is that the reimagining of Solvent is great. Usually when a band does a 20 year remake of a song it's terrible.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Almost everything about the american lifestyle has changed in the past 50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

If you want to get specific, look at every third-party non-biotech laboratory that has done experiments with lab rats fed GMO foods, and the raging tumors they found rapidly developing.

What reputable journals did they publish the results in? As a general rule I do not believe in scientific conspiracies. There is everything to lose by being a part of such a thing and everything to gain by exposing one. Exposing a conspiracy isn't difficult because all you have to do is run the same experiment and get different results.