Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Twiin posted:

Rumour from the Skinny Puppy camp is that someone didn't like the new Puppy album (which is why it got shelved), and most of it ended up as the new ohGr instead.

The new Puppy is apparently a NEW new Puppy, explaining the delays.

If Mark Walk is still involved it will suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

This would be a far more entertaining and interesting perspective had you chose to provide some ammunition for your rather dismissive generalization.

edit: dickish reply was dickish.

I don´t know, like listening to anything he´s been involved with by Puppy/Ohgr?
Still a dick.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

That still doesn't accurately address (and mostly what I'm curious about) what it exactly is about his involvement that is so bothersome. Is it his approach to melody? The way he plays around with the 8-bit sound? Vocoding vocals? The pop attributes he brings to the mix?

It was a completely different band after he got involved, one that sounds like an approximation what "the kids" might be into at the time. The first Ohgr album was kind cool, I´ll admit that. I don´t want IDM/bitpop and poo poo like that if I want to listen to Skinny Puppy, nor it to be turned to cutesy fluff for gothy teens.

Other point is that sound quality mystically went to poo poo with him onboard, synths sound like lovely VAs and things like Devils In My Details. I´m not sure who/where it was mixed by but I thought it was a leaked raw mix when I heard it.

I´ve not been able to listen to the "new" stuff simply because its feels like a completely different, inferior band.

Or it is easier to pin the blame on him, rather than accept that this is what they really want to sound like.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I just got the new Necro Facility signed preorder disc. The I found the preview on soundcloud, loving gently caress, I´m not even going to rip this. They went pop as was expected.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Bought a couple of recent compilations and jesus, it's embarassing how indistinguishable some of the tracks by different bands are. The DOOF DOOF DOOF SAMPLE DOOF DOOF DOOF of bands like Noisuf-X, xRx and so on, the various Combichristalikes and the Suicide Commando/Hocico clones.

This is exactly why I stopped listening in early 2000, it was either futurepop or terrorEBM. Suicide Commando/Hocico is about the worst thing to happen to any genre ever.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

carbonex posted:

Edit: Did this thread ever talk about last year's Haus Arafna? It might have been more like an Arafna/November Növelet blend, but drat was it good!

You mean "You"? I loved it, the Crowley vox were genius.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

You pretend to be god you gently caress me in the rear end

v.

If only I could set the world on fire gently caress 'em all

I'd guess Combichrist would be more about the assfucking. Did I win?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

handbandit posted:

Also, here's another new-wave video I'm sure someone would love to forget ever existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sET1lhBMNiU

Pre guitar Ministry beats the poo poo out of post Filth Pig Ministry.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

Haujobb released a new album this month.

I liked it, lots of old school references and sounds. I saw "new hardware sound" or something mentioned somewhere, anyone have a link for a gearlist/interview. My inner gearslut was piqued.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

"Robert" posted:

this is the best new skinny puppy riffing if you ask me :q:

http://bamn.bandcamp.com/album/by-any-means-necessary

This was pretty great, bought all their poo poo. Thanks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Secks posted:

After having Bryan from Velvet Acid Christ as a facebook friend for months, I am completely convinced he is a 15-year-old in disguise. My god, is he whiny.

Check out Gearslutz sometime, he'll tell you exactly why VST resonance/midi jitter/everything is the worst thing ever/sucks, and then rages for a few pages, deletes his posts, rages some more..

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Secks posted:

Bat has made almost the entire Xorcist discography available for public download.

So cool. I love Xorcist.

How does one convert cd images to something current? I'm not planning on burning these on cd or mounting them as virtual images. Foobar can't open them as is and I haven't dealt with CD's/images in years.

W424 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 27, 2012

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Does the new Dead When I Found Her sound mostly like New Age of Reason that was on the review on idieyoudie? That track pretty much killed any interest I had.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Konstruct posted:

Too Dark Park

I'll have to check it out then. Better not be a Wintermute.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

EEEEERRRR ENOUGH OF THAT BECAUSE PROMETHEUS loving BURNING JUST RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM

Awe yeeeeee!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

kangal posted:

If you want the style and beat of CLASSIC Puppy check out Skyla Vertex.

What the poo poo? Ewww.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I have the 2 disc signed version of Wintermute that's never been played, I heard the song previews after ordering it and I have no desire to hear it even once.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I'd be interested in buying it off you. PM me if you're selling :)

PM sent.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

I mean like, what kind of equipment should I start with i.e. DAW or physical workstation, is there any kind of music theory I should know before getting into it and what are good channels to get exposure once I can start producing?

Just get a DAW and go from there, theory helps immensenly. Invest in hardware when you've know what you are doing and feel like it might add something. Stay away from gearslutz.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

KRAFTWERK IS COMING TO FINLAND THIS SUMMER

HOLY poo poo

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I fear there will be wobbles and sick drops.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

I want to hear about the Skinny Puppy hate.

The Process and pretty much everything after that.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Noricae posted:

...it's embarrassing to admit that I listen to industrial as a genre sometimes.

It's just as bad as admitting you like metal, both are 99.9% terrible poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

skycake posted:

Rash Reflection or Hexonxonx by Skinny Puppy may be to your liking.

This would be closer to the OONZ OONZ paradigm if we are slandering the good name of SP with aggrotech accusations, I think.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't "woo we're edgy and alternative!" pretty much the entirety of AV?

The promo pics were enough for me. I'm quessing four on the floor with whispered distorted vocals.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I see they haven't abandoned their song naming convention.

Or gotten rid of Mark Walk.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Overbite posted:

My problem is that the solo ohGr stuff, while good, is not what I want out of Skinny Puppy but the two are merging in ways that frighten and confuse me :ohdear:

Pretty much the same for me, I really don't like the "new" vocals etc.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

samurai slowdown posted:

You can listen to samples of the new Skinny Puppy album here. It's still got the modern Puppy sound but less of the hyperactive pseudo IDM. Survivalisto is the only thing I hate so far.

I actually liked Solvent and some of the other stuff, weird.

Edit. I didn't realize Solvent was a "cover" untill just now.

W424 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 1, 2013

W424
Oct 21, 2010
It's not terrible, but not great either. I really wish they'd do some stuff that wasn't kid friendly/pop.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I just finished making a video for Cardinal Noire: Narkomat
The band consist of me and my buddy Protectorate (whom I also do live "stuff" for)
As for influences, we worship golden age Skinny Puppy and kinda aim for mid eighties-early nineties vibe.

Hope you like it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Noricae posted:

This is awesome, as is Gog-Dis. Is there an album in the works? I get a Front 242 vibe from Protectorate.

Thanks! We are working on a 5 song EP at the moment, but no idea how'll we put it out yet.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I'll admit that I've never done much more than dick around with some oscillators and such, but isn't making your own sounds rather than just using presets kind of part of the point?

I'm hella nazi about programming everything from an init patch. Helps that all my synths have terrible presets anyway.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I'm a little late pimpin' this but Protectorate/Cardinal Noire will be playing in Estonia tomorrow https://www.facebook.com/bodymachinebody

I opened the weed megathread and the first post was a bunch of Skinny Puppy videos, oh yeaaah

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

Anyways, since I shat up this thread with that discussion here's something awesome you should listen to:

http://statiqbloom.bandcamp.com/album/mask-visions-poison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k7ajjQbLTc

That was pretty awesome.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

mottbag posted:

Can anyone recommend any books about Skinny puppy?

I have these (and the forementioned Go Ask Ogre):
http://www.lulu.com/shop/jay-kern/skinny-puppy-the-illustrated-discography-3rd-edition/paperback/product-20342984.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/jay-kern/skinny-puppy-the-videos-tour-history/paperback/product-20342978.html

But they are more for the trainspotter crowd.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

They're all apolitical, but in a different way from the neofolk fans.

DAF hipsters.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Way back in the OP: The description of electro-industrial as taking metal and adding a dance beat is super evocative to me. Haven't really heard any, but I do listen to a bunch of death metal. Is there any electro-industrial that really plays up the metal aspects of it? Guitar riffs, maybe interspersing blastbeats with the dance backbone, maybe harsh vocals. Very heavy, or very fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciation.

I'm late on this (and pretty crunk) but here's my old band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP3duxKM7qY. REALpolitik and Tower are more in that vein of things.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
New Cardinal Noire track in here (flash player)
http://www.sonic-seducer.de/index.php/component/option,com_botb/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

SacrificialGoat posted:

Okay, so I'm interested in Laibach, what album should I start with?

I'd say WAT is pretty easy listening.