Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

somethingwicked posted:

Imperative Reaction is playing with Assemblage in NYC this Friday, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it up there. :( I've only seen a short set when they played at the Triton Festival a couple years ago. I used to find them rather monotonous (and still do to a small extent), but they're one of the more enjoyable bands out there for me. If I can't make it i'll just see A23 at a closer show on Sunday, because Tom Shear is the loving man. I know quite a few people on here were complaining about Compass, etc - but he has yet to dissapoint (:rimshot:) me.
I caught an Assemblage 23 show last week and the Compass er Bruise songs are sounding really good live. Plus, Shear has a drummer who adds a lot to the show. And there's great visuals. Either way, see them.

Imperative Reaction puts in a lot of effort. I saw them at a dingy club in San Antonio (with a small crowd) on a weekday night a little ways back, and they overplayed the industrial crotch-rock to its fullest. That was nice I guess, and they seem like great guys. But they were still doing a massive and probably exhausting tour with 30+ dates that ... had them playing in a dingy club in San Antonio on a weekday night.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

het posted:

It's pretty good but the brosteppy bits are kind of grating a little too much for me at the moment. I could probably get used to it.
I think it works. Brosteppy sounds have always worked best for my ears when it is integrated into something else. The idea of just listening to a brostep song on its own is overwhelming, like I'm going to be repeatedly run over by highway traffic.

Furret Basket posted:

EEEEERRRR ENOUGH OF THAT BECAUSE PROMETHEUS loving BURNING JUST RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM

If you don't know Proburn then why not because they're beyond amazing and go right into pure :pcgaming: territory.

http://www.wtiirecords.com/releases/release.php?pid=wtii082 gogoggogo
Okay. This kicks rear end.

:pcgaming:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

Storming The Base has a pretty great newsletter for what it's worth and covers a lot more breadth. http://www.stormingthebase.com/
Thanks.

Furret Basket posted:

Tympanic is pretty much a whos-who of fantastic artists. They're the only labels whose newsletter I've signed up for. That's actually quite worth doing actually because otherwise it just falls under the radar.
Gah holy gently caress. Thank you. This is a little old but I'm reposting it here because :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0Xh4VY7xE

Also, someone disapproves of Airmech:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Icon of Coil sucks too. :smugbert:

"If I'm not dead enough for life, am I alive enough for death?" Seriously?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Nice article.

The really weird thing for me is that the scene (at least in the UK) seems way less popular generally than it was around a decade ago at the peak of futurepop when you had tons of young cyberkids with bright clothes, fake hair and big shoes (yeah okay I maybe did at least some of that, but anyway).

A lot of the time now there seems to be less of an 18/19 year old crowd at clubs and gigs and more people in their twenties and thirties (maybe this is just the clubs/gigs I go to as a 30something though, YMMV, and I have no idea how the scene is in other countries).

You'd sort of hope that with a slightly older scene, you'd get less of this kind of thing since really, OTT "edgy" poo poo like this isn't something clever or shocking any more unless you're a teenager. I guess it's just become normalised in the scene though :smith:
I don't have an explanation except that the OTT "edgy" poo poo might have come about as a reaction to the more introspective music of futurepop. Instead of "Through my eyes stare into me/I bear my heart for all to see" you have (unfortunately) "Now you want it in your rear end as I spit in your face." The good thing is that I suspect we're now seeing a big backlash against that.

Also, I've read some reporting on music-oriented subcultures/lifestyles that found that the goth-industrial scene does skew older. I think the best explanation given was that people tend to age into it rather than age out of it. It doesn't go out of its way to identify with youth, and the music doesn't tend to so much resist the "system" as reflect it at its worst. While there are political themes, they're more ambiguous, allusive and ambivalent. Whereas an anti-fascist punk band would hit you over the head with a sledgehammer about why fascism sucks, an industrial group like Laibach would dress up in fascist uniforms in a ridiculous satire and over-identify with the target in order to provoke the audience. Or it'd be a kind of anguished reflection at the horror of fascism.

I don't know how exactly this translates into age, but the more ambiguous politics and reliance on aesthetics in industrial music to make a point could keep people involved for longer. A punk kid would just incorporate the "gently caress fascism" into his ordinary politics as he aged while dropping the outwardly rebellious image. But a gothic-industrial fan would incorporate elements of the style into their everyday image while toning down the more radical expressions of it, as the style is more important to him/her in defining what the message is than the punk kid, if that makes sense? It's harder to incorporate the ambiguity of industrial music into other aspects of your life like you would punk. You've gotta wear the tactical pants.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

As much as I'd like to blame misogyny in industrial music on those loving jocks invading it, I think a more likely theory is that the industrial scene has always carried an uneasy balance between coopting violent, militaristic imagery as a protest and embracing it for the power fantasy it provides. The fascism is coming from inside the scene!
Good point. Not the least of which is that "artists, weirdos, outcasts, geeks, dreamers and rebels" can be sexists and racists too. Actually some of the worst ones. The Nazis have an image of being hyper-masculine jocks but a lot of them were like weird art school dropouts, failed poets and writers, "bohemian" conspiracy theorists and so on. It's a mistake to think of "rebel" as synonymous with "left-wing."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I should have included this in my last post, but I wanted to specifically say that "Weirdos, Outcasts, Geeks, Dreamers and Rebels" often harbor disturbing power fantasies and seek empowerment from fascist, misogynist conventions.

To be honest, I can't support what some bands put in the imagery they present, regardless of whether they claim it's ironic and regardles of whether they mean it. Boyd Rice, for example, comes across to me as a creepy idiot with delusions of intellectualism, who does inappropriate things and claims he was taking the piss if he gets called out.
Yeah Boyd Rice is a creepy idiot. But I'd differ slightly if I'm reading you right. It's the irony and "I didn't really mean it" that angers me the most about fascist artists, not the fascism so much. Of course I disagree with fascism. But I don't think fascism is necessarily incompatible with making great art, or for example, because Leni Riefenstahl directed fascist propaganda films, that she didn't make great films that could be admired for their own sake. Her movies were incredible and ground-breaking even though they propagated Nazi ideology. They went on to influence Star Wars, right?

This is a different thing from "support" though. Maybe "defend the artistic value of" or something like that. I don't particularly like ecclesiastical authority or medieval feudalism as systems of government either but I can get awed by some cathedrals. Death in June have put Ustasha symbols on their albums, if I'm remembering correctly, or some other Croatian fascist symbolism, and plenty of Strasserist stuff. But they seem to get more of a pass because Douglas P can write interesting songs. They make good art. Nachtmahr doesn't because their music sucks.

George Orwell wrote (I've included a link) that "the most one can ask of [a writer] is that he shall genuinely believe in what he is saying, and that it shall not be something blazingly silly." Fascism is evil and wicked but it's not crazy, y'know? You can get why someone would be into it, or you can try and understand what about it appeals to people, in order to to better understand what it is and why it's as dangerous as it is. But guys like Boyd Rice and Thomas Rainer front this image like they're just kidding and what they're saying isn't what they really believe. So why should I listen to what they're saying? It's like: Are you loving kidding me? At least stand by your own art you worthless poo poo.

And if he did, if he said "I enjoy beating women" and really meant it instead of backtracking by saying it's ironic, no one would listen to him because they'd realize who they were really listening to.

http://orwell.ru/library/reviews/swift/english/e_swift (A bit long so skip to the last graf.)

Sorta related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZl8ScVYvA
:allears:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 4, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. This reflects my confused feelings about new Skinny Puppy: :raise: :fh:

Also check this out:

http://basicunitproductions.bandcamp.com/album/tension-strategies

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Like I said, I have mixed feelings. The thing that really turned me off from being a fan to just trying to keep an open mind about them is... how do I say this? They sound way too up their own rear end. And like, weird references to chemtrails, "cryptic lies" and the dangers of usury. Oookay.

And by this I mean the last two albums.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 15, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't a recommendation, but in addition to the meteor in Russia, the new Blutengel album also landed today. So... prepare to enter the wild, dark and sexy world of Blutengel!

I love it without shame. Or... is it because of shame that I love Blutengel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oEXQyzyGzI

leahlionheart posted:

And finally, what's the consensus on neofolk/martial industrial like Feindflug, Death in June, Rome, etc.? (Boyd Rice is a sack of untalented poo poo with serious "I hate my parents" issues). What other groups should I check out?
I'd say decide for yourself about those bands. Aside from Boyd Rice sucking, there's no consensus and it gets really thorny and political. I don't really listen to them. Oh, for dirtier-sounding industrial, have you listened to Pakt? You might like them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Entropist posted:

Heh, that Blutengel track sounds a lot more poppy than how I remember it! What happened?
Progress.

:colbert:

:smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 16, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baby Sathanas posted:

Went out in Manchester gay village tonight, stood outside in the smoking area of a club and overhear a guy say he's a sound engineer. In my drunken stooper I start all "oh yeah I do industrial music etc etc" he goes "have you heard of Modulate?" I start gushing about how much I looove Modulate. "I'm the laptop guy in Modulate." :stare: Weirdest loving thing that's ever happened to me.
Nice. I just got back from, bizarrely, a Velvet Acid Christ show in Austin. (Apparently they haven't played live in something like a decade, I heard.)

Noticeable number of gay couples by the way. As a gay guy, I tend to notice this. I'd also say that industrial music fits a gay aesthetic and sensibility of sorts with its emphasis on camp and artifice, though it might not be immediately obvious.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Sometimes it's more obvious though :v: (or basically any videos from Familientreffen would do here)
It's what attracts me to it. There's a similar kind of aesthetic orientation towards, I don't know, a celebration of artifice and appearance in industrial music that you also see in gay men's music like pop, disco, house music, etc. It's all machine music.

I think a straight male aesthetic would be more inclined towards disavowing an appearance. It's: "What you see is what you get." It's all natural and authentic, baby. I'm thinking of country music singers, a lot of punk musicians, rock stars, and Bruce Springsteen.

But before I came out of the closet, this kind of straight male authenticity was - for me - a fabrication. I tried really hard to be "natural" and failed at it. So I feel that artificial-sounding music is a more authentic reflection of my situation than a Bruce Springsteen is, or some other music that prides itself on being without artificiality. Because I find that incredibly fake.

Deep thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=822fuKljzrw

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Female vocals.

Wait for this crazy (but patient) French music to get to this point: :tviv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyyfVciL7kY

Also, this below isn't industrial (it's gothic pop-rock), but try The Eden House. They're a UK act from some former Fields of the Nephilim guys who have a rotating cast of female vocalists. And they're spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJPbL6LwWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPST6_SsUE

This song is pretty fantastic too. And this. And this.

Also, Mexican/Tijuana hipster witch house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUjmDzS5G0

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 22, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's taken to a real excess. I'm not quite sure why, other than that the subculture is much more focused on aesthetic themes than other genres. It's less overtly political than punk or hip-hop and much more about mood. Hence clothes are more important.

The cyber-fashion thing also seems antiquated in a world in which grandma now has a Facebook account. The wired, connected and neon-lit dystopian future that the style is supposed to represent really isn't the future anymore, right? It's the present. To illustrate it even more, this is an actual photograph:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 22, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's apparently some neo-folk and martial industrial bands playing a free show at a coffeeshop in my city tonight. One's Facebook page shows them looking like the Hitler Youth with descriptions about Germanic blood neo-paganism.

Oh God.

A friend and myself are going to check this out. This is going to be horrible.

Edit: Well that was horrible. It was free though, and we stayed about 15 minutes. But that scene is filled with literal Nazis. Interesting to see it in the flesh.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 23, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to KMFDM post-WWII is to me like the musical equivalent of going to a whorehouse or having heterosexual sex. I can tell myself that I enjoy it, but I really don't.

The Cleaner posted:

Industrial: The Anus of Electronic Music

Seriously what the gently caress happened to this genre? Holy loving poo poo it's a god damned abomination and growing.
Hate to get into all that again, but when I read stuff like this I loose all hope.
The neo-folk show was interesting, I have to say. The band was called "Awen" and are one of those bands that doesn't play around with a kind of plausible deniability about being fascist - they outright say they're against multiculturalism and FOR a society built around Might and the Natural Order. They did this interview online where they played in Germany, and bemoaned that the American "ghetto-style" graffiti was all over the place but the neo-Nazi and anti-Turkish graffiti was getting covered up, so yeah.

My friend and myself sort of knew - conceptually - what we were getting into by going. We have both been interested in far right extremism as a kind of perverse academic curiosity for awhile, and here was a chance to see it in action, not have to pay any money, and not have to travel very far (literally next to a coffeeshop in the smack middle of Austin).

It was still somewhat shocking. The inside of the venue was lit all in red. There were guys, including a local gothic-industrial DJ, walking around in full matching blackshirt regalia. (Like no-joke jackboots and uniforms.) Lots of SS Death's Head patches. There were these men who hadn't shaved in a few days standing around eyeing people while wearing Death in June t-shirts and camouflage. More than anything it was ridiculous and funny. But my friend, a fairly reverent Christian, starting getting really creeped out and began talking like Chef in Apocalypse Now about it being pagan idolatry: evil, Nazi stuff! (He was right about that.)

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 26, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

Holy poo poo and this went down in Austin? Which coffee shop?
I know, right? Spiderhouse Ballroom. So that means it's technically part of Spider House, but in a separate building right off Guadalupe.

boo_radley posted:

Signs your neo-folk show may be fascististic:
If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck, and Sieg Heils like a duck, it's probably a duck.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 26, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I have come to the realization that liking Blutengel is nothing to be ashamed of very simply because Blutengel owns. I might actually have to get the box edition of Monument, it sounds so good.
Yeah, I thought it was great, and then it actually got better the more I listened to it. It has these insane VNV Nation style anthems on it that are just absolutely killer.

I'm also not hearing the bathos-dripping vampire aesthetic come through very strongly. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) It's more like 80s goth cyberpunk.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've seen a live video of Lucifer so you can enjoy that. They've never done an American tour so I haven't seen them.
They did a small one last year. But choices were limited to Mexico City, New York, San Francisco, Montreal and ... San Antonio. I saw them and they're a lot of fun, but the show was really scaled down. No props, candelabras or skull thrones that shoot flames out the top, or anything like that. But they've got so much panache it doesn't matter.

They're also apparently really popular along the border, or relatively speaking, according to what I heard from an industrial DJ from the south Texas border I chatted with a few weeks ago. Apparently them coming to Mexico was kind of a big deal. Bizarrely, they even went on television. This is because Mexico is awesome. Unfortunately, the border industrial scene got kiboshed because of the drug war, since the bigger clubs were apparently on the Mexico side and the violence put an end to the cross-border nightlife.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 4, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Full version of the new Blush Response album just dropped. I linked to the song "Delusional" awhile ago. Pretty good stuff:

http://basicunitproductions.bandcamp.com/album/tension-strategies

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Also Pseudocide is just awful
Hah. Wow.

I think we need a "KMFDM Shreds."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I caught a really cool EBM/industrial/dark electronic musician at South by Southwest this last Friday. Xander Harris is a local artist here who does 80s cyberpunk-themed instrumental music and has an album named after the book Snow Crash (try the song BIOS), a song sampling the 1984 movie Dune, and a really sweet album called Urban Gothic.

The sound was great and was in small theater that felt like it was from a David Lynch movie. Really tiny, with only about a six-foot space in front of the stage to stand, and then maybe 30 or 40 elevated seats behind that (it's normally used for live comedy), in something like four rows, and with a bunch of avant-garde-looking motherfuckers sitting there staring. And here was this guy on stage, with a green curtain behind him, fog machines, and a bunch of keyboards and computers playing it loud. I was half-expecting Dennis Hopper to be sitting in the corner and sucking on an oxygen tank.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 18, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Convergence is this weekend. I'm in the same town but the lineup isn't great:

http://www.elysiumonline.net/events.html

Eh.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twiin posted:

Mentallo and The Fixer! I'd kill to see that live. Nothing else looks great though.
Yeah. They're great and based here. But the rest sound like whoever they could rope together into an industrial b-team.

My favorite thing is the gothic boat cruise, which I saw advertised. The city apparently has the largest urban bat colony in the world (don't know how many, except I know it's a gently caress load of bats) underneath the main bridge across the Colorado River. For those who've never been to Austin, downtown sits astride that river. So a boat full of goths sailing down the river to look at the bats. Presumably they'll get pizza afterwards.

And the image of that is ridiculous. But the bats are awesome. They come out at sundown every evening in big swarms. To feed.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Is this the alt.gothic Convergence?
Um. I think so.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 20, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It sorta sounds like a lot of this "witch house"* music I've been listening to lately because I am a terrible hipster. At least it's not bad. And that's good. Probably better than the last few albums. Also, I admittedly laughed at the "We'll make you feel the Jim Jones vibe" line in the opening song.

Plasicage is :asoiaf:

* Speaking of that, have some: https://soundcloud.com/m-c-ll/sets/remixes-collaborations-4

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 1, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
For aggressive, tranc-ey industrial music, I'm enjoying this:

http://vendettamusic.bandcamp.com/album/we-had-a-carnival

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2013/05/sleetgrout-we-had-a-carnival/

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 1, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So there's a new Suicide Commando album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYVnHeh7mYE

The bloggers at I Die: You Die had this to say:

quote:

Johan Van Roy is pretty creatively conservative. For all the dimestore transgression is his lyrics (death, murder, god hates us/is a dick, etc.) he sticks close to what’s been working for him since the massive breakthrough that was 2000′s Mindstrip. And why not? His audience seems content for him to produce upgraded versions of the same minor key oontz exercises every couple of years, complete with slightly better production and a new set of evil movie samples. Aside from the dubious distinction of being the band who has inspired more awful EBM than anyone else (arguably a title shared with the similarly hidebound Hocico) there hasn’t been much that argues for Suicide Commando’s relevance beyond his existing fanbase.

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2013/05/suicide-commando-when-evil-speaks/
I'm okay with that. I like what I've heard. Also, that blog has become the Pitchfork of industrial music. Really pretentious writing with all of these weird extraneous reasons for liking or not liking a record. It's rarely what you're hearing but what it reflects about something completely arbitrary.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a good point. I've never written about music, either. Like trying to capture something in 400+ words every day. It's probably a lot different when you're doing that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome work. I'm listening to the SoundCloud stream hosting by the label over at ID:YD. "An ohGr album made on a Sega Genesis" is what they called it.

This rules. I love your last album too but this is better.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

W424 posted:

I just finished making a video for Cardinal Noire: Narkomat
The band consist of me and my buddy Protectorate (whom I also do live "stuff" for)
As for influences, we worship golden age Skinny Puppy and kinda aim for mid eighties-early nineties vibe.

Hope you like it.
That was really good. Great name. I think you capture what you're aiming for very well.

Around 2:05 I started doing this:

:parrot:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you're talking about the French rats study, then you should know they were a tumor-prone breed of rats and the control group was too small.

Anyways, cigarettes are a problem. Cervical cancer caused by HPV is also a problem (spread by overcrowding). But the real problem is that humans simply live longer now, and if you control for age and those anomalies (cigarettes, HPV, etc.) then cancer rates have remained pretty flat compared to the baseline.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm hooked on the new Distorted Memory. It's techno :black101:

I heard about it on ID:YD, because obviously.

quote:

The Eternal Return isn’t all subtle and funereal pacing and production; at least half of its tunes are upbeat kickers with plenty of floor potential. I’m getting a downright Animotion-esque feel from the stabby organ lead on “Back Away” which put a grin on my face the moment I heard it. While “Back Away” is handily the most infectious, “disco night in a Castlevania level” track, a sense of dancey immediacy is maintained more or less throughout the record. It’s populated with rounded, almost bouncy leads and beats, again, supplanting the more caustic and harsh elements of earlier Distorted Memory work.

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2013/06/distorted-memory-the-eternal-return/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9hnVpZAJMw

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 8, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Death in June is touring the U.S. haha oh man. Hoo hee. Hrm.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Here and I was wondering which US cities had active antifa scenes.
I've tried reaching out to my local one but it's just an email address and I don't think it's active any more.

I might hit up the lefty infoshop, though. They'd probably know.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 18, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine more clubs and bars? I live in Austin which is a metro of 1.5 million or so, and the city is an influential place for music as people here like to remind everyone. It's supposed to be globally influential. And there's a goth club. And we're lucky: It has a witch house night! And does dark music on more than one night of the week! And you know, the occasional touring artist from Europe. Population-wise that's equivalent to Munich, right?

I wonder what a comparatively dull German city with 1/3 of the population has in comparison. Maybe more?

On the plus side, there are some really creative artists and DJs here who are into experimental post-industrial and witch house styled music.

But festivals? Nothing. They've tried to have them here and they've either imploded with some accusations of dodgy pump-and-dump schemes on the part of the organizers, or are just absolutely lovely with the worst Funker Vogt retread bands. But there's probably a lot of really awful German industrial bands playing local clubs I've never heard, so...

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 25, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Kanye West made the best industrial album of the year.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's stuff like that is why I started avoiding interacting with musicians, trying to meet them, or really trying to talk to them at all.

I like musicians and all. But I think the impulse to get to know entertainers because they are entertainers is not a healthy one. If you're a musician or an entertainer of some sort, and I run into you at the bar or meet you outside the context of our ordinary relationship (where I give you money and you entertain me), then that's cool. But I'm not talking to *the entertainer* at that point. But I will deliberately avoid them usually.

I'd much rather put up a firewall between me and these people. And the "fans are idiots" thing is as much true for me as anyone else. Why would the musician care what I have to think about their music? I don't have any advice to give. If I don't like it, then I won't listen to them or go to the show.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 22, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twiin posted:

Tom Shear is a great example of someone who is engaging online. He also knows how to disagree with fans without insulting them, which is a surprisingly rare trait in this community.
I've seen Assemblage 23 twice and both times were crazy amounts of fun. Maybe I'd like to meet that dude. He seemed to be really nice and with a really positive attitude, like almost unusually nice for a musician. I know that I'll keep going to his shows.

But I don't know if I'd go out of my way to meet him. In a sense you're paying people like him to watch them work, because it's entertaining. But I question how much we really know these people.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 22, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Noricae posted:

It gets a bit annoying once too many side projects get formed (whose material is much harder to track down).
i.e. Daniel Myer.

(But also seems like a cool guy, from what I can tell.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never been able to really get into Project Pitchfork and make them a regular part of my music ... BUT I have to say that some of their songs like Rain are really sublime and patient. They really do make some of the best dark electro-EBM music right now. Another band in a similar vein is X Marks the Pedwalk.

Anyways I've been taking a break from industrial music for the past few weeks, which I do occasionally. But one band that's been appearing a lot on my playlists is Pankow. They've been around for a very long time apparently and I'd never given them any attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZv9nRfxgo8