Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Desmodus rotundus posted:

I found I started getting burned out in 2004 or so and noticed that a lot of the acts coming out started to sounds the same and kind of burnt out on it, just starting a relisten now and hoping things have taken off again from an artistic stand point and not just *insert beat 24 insert distorted vocal and sample #2*

MiracleWhale posted:

this is exactly what happened to me. i don't really know what happened; this used to be my favorite genre of music (well, i think this thread is really about multiple genres, but you know what i mean) but then somehow this switch got flipped in my brain and it all just seems pretty repetitive. i guess maybe the problem is that the genre just hasn't seemed to grow up along with me.

at this point i just want something a little more complex and less easily pigeonholed than "scary vocals over dance music with industrial-y noises thrown in" or "scary vocals over metal with industrial-y noises thrown in". it's not because of the harshness, either - i really enjoy stuff like Pan Sonic to this day - it's just i've gotten bored with the same old sound.

Even the press knows, c.f. Side-Line (comments are fun too). I've been listening to this stuff since the early 80s, got back into EBM big time around 2001 and ... it really hasn't changed a dot in fifteen years. There is nothing you can't do with an Access Virus! ... that hasn't been done. Whiny rant.

I'm trying to do my own stuff. It's sucky synthpop so far but ehh keeps me amused. So the answer is probably to fire up some suitable music software and make your own bad music. Punk rock forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I've been on my huge periodical Diorama kick again and would like to once more remind you to listen to Diorama, because it is a good god drat band and I know none of you still haven't listened to them yet because otherwise you'd be raving about the band here. Maybe start with Cubed, that album is very nearly perfect.

This is great! I just got Spotify and have been having a good old go. I wish I could say I was surprised just how much mediocre German industrial bleep there is out there. But Diorama are really nice.

BTW, if you like the nice synthpop end of industrial, I heartily recommend Metroland and Elektroklange. Metroland are like OMD doing Kraftwerk, Elektroklange basically heard Trans-Europe Express and never recovered. (Every electronic band has a train song. Even I have a train song. OMD have two train songs.) For Metroland, try the albums Triadic Ballet and Things Will Never Sound The Same Again; for Electroklange, the new EP Mechanische Tänze.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wikkheiser posted:

VNV Nation would be lawful good.

lawful emo

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So where should I start on Anhalt EBM? The description that came to mind was "Oi! with synths and drum machines" and I see at least one other poster hit this too.

I'm currently finding the stuff much of a muchness. Playing Oldschool Union and finding it a style I quite like actually, but frankly indistinguishable from everything else on Bandcamp with the "anhalt" tag.

(The criteria for "oldschool" amuse too. They'll go back as far as DAF's first wave of slavish imitators but somehow DAF's actual name is never mentioned. Makes me wish for EBM bands with actual drummers and no drum machine.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
From the Difficult Listening for the Hard of Hearing Department: industrial music for old people like me. I blogged last week about (with videos and Bandcamps linked for your listening delight):

* Early '80s Australian noisemakers Scattered Order, founders of the M Squared label (that nurtured a lot of the early '80s Sydney electronic noise scene), whose music is delectably unlistenable and who are still going;

* The 1991 Volition Records package tour, with some "where are they now?" Featuring Severed Heads, Boxcar and Single Gun Theory in reverse order of prestige; SGT were the ones whose album actually charted.

* and last month, Once We Were Scum, Now We Are God by No from 1989.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Today I have listened to:

* Psy'Aviah (who tend to the cheesy angst-pop end of futurepop, but this album is pretty good)

* Gamma 10 (EBM instrumentals, but unlike synthwave they don't sound like they just couldn't find a singer)

* L.O.T.I.O.N. (hardcore punk done industrial style, an approach that works alarmingly well)

* nTTx (2010s Canadians who so want to be 1990s Canadians)

* Stars Crusaders (who, being a Euro futurepop band, have good sounds and good songs that aren't quite ruined by the bad vocal melodies and worse ESL lyrics)

* Kites With Lights (who aren't industrial at all, but do deliver the best Pet Shop Boys rip you'll hear today).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Ur-industrialist Alan Vega just died at 78. Of course the guy who called his band Suicide died of old age.

First time I heard Suicide was on 6NR Late Nite in Perth in the early ‘80s. 10pm-1am weeknights, that show was. I of course listened religiously, and never mind chronic tiredness at school the following morning.

They played “Frankie Teardrop” very last thing. 1am, in the dark, over the AM airwaves. Scared the poo poo out of young me.

This is the official clip, which I didn’t know existed until I found it on YouTube just now. If you’ve never heard it before, play it in the dark last thing at night tonight for Alan.

“we’re all Frankies we’re all lying in hell”

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Somehow, in years of hearing their name around, I missed actually hearing anything by Mesh. I've had "Just Leave Us Alone" (2013) on loop for two days. OH MY GOD they lay the angst on thick. This should be the soundtrack to teenage heartbreak. The new single "Kill Your Darlings" isn't quite as good, but then, what is.

Dependent Records seem to be progressively putting up their entire catalogue on Bandcamp, which gives new and unparalleled opportunities to give them money. Mostly quite cheap too, compared to the CD - but then, bunging someone five quid is the polite thing to do in the indie scene.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
There's a new Spray single! It's The Night Of The Long Knives, Charlie Brown. I expect nobody else here to care, but it sure made my evening.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

e: hell, basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

Probably around 1979. The big mistakes were:

* drum machines. 20 minutes of someone hitting something is interesting; 20 minutes of TR-808 is not.
* going disco
* 12" mixes
* MIDI
* samplers, not just making your own tapeloops with scissors and sticky tape

The only band to have survived all of these: Severed Heads.

I do admire SPK saying "yeah, we're selling out, the old stuff's played out and we want some money. Got a loving problem." then actually making the money.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The problem is all these guys are old as gently caress now.

I did like this rant from Severed Heads:

Tom Ellard posted:

Six years ago I took stock of the vampires and creeps that populate the 'independent' music industry and figured that there was nothing there for me anymore. The whole thing could blow it out its copious arse.

Thing is, music industry isn't music, which I love and need and would still make if the last person on earth. So that wasn't going to stop.

When we closed shop it signalled a whole bunch of new people in my life. Unlike the last lot they seemed bright and caring and to be really into what we had done. It was great to have new family but after a while it dawned on me that we'd swapped our vampires for undertakers. These new guys throw a hell of a funeral! They like funerals so much they dig up the old bones over and over again.

I love these guys, but they get all anxious if you mention any year past 1980 something and, you know, I ain't dead yet. So I just did my music. The weird thing being that I started to get jealous of my old self. Man, that guy got all the praise, the smug bastard.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Every single band sounding like Suicide Commando is what stopped me from listening to much industrial music for almost a decade, so all those bands. Especially Combichrist. (I like Suicide Commando.)

loving Cookie Monster vocals are an immediate "NEXT!" from me. Even Severed Heads didn't descend that far.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wikkheiser posted:

To be sure, I listen to a lot of cheesybad music. I love italo-disco. But Icon of Coil sounds like they should be more like S.P.O.C.K. or Xenturion Prime, which are bands that do not take their shtick seriously.

I love me some futurepop, but have long thought all Icon of Coil songs go

I took too many drugs
Took too many drugs
Took too many drugs
And wrote a crap-but-catchy chorus

(I bet you get the tune in your head just reading those words)

But angsty EBM is fundamentally cheese.

still wanna hear Spetznatz do VNV.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

1979 is much too early imo, that has you missing out on like a bunch of good Nurse With Wound, power electronics before it became its own thing like early Whitehouse/Sutcliffe Jugend stuff, early Coil, probably lots of other cool crap.

I am making fun of people indistinguishable from me and totally not actually me.

What I'm actually listening to is the new Metroland single, because you will take away my mechanical synthpop when you pry it from my cold aging hands.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Just as regrettable as the time I tried to listen to some of the recent KMFDM albums.

Oh, I just noticed Metropolis has been putting a shitload of stuff up on Bandcamp including acres of KMFDM. And Syrian did too, which you means you can buy all the versions of "Fire In Your Eyes" if you like (or not.) Though that's getting common enough it might not be news any more.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Frankly, fire was a mistake.

The Cleaner posted:

Zero cash, I agree. But they have alot of time. It's just that in 2016, they have a million more options than beer at a lovely bar or drugs at a lovely club.

well yeah. Back in the day, your options were three channels of lovely TV or go out and drink and dance with your friends. Now, it's the whole internet and all your friends, or go out and drink and dance with people you can't click "block" on.

And back to music that's new and actually good: I stumbled over Boy Harsher the other day. Yr Body Is Nothing is not quite EBM, but people keep comparing them to EBM. I'd say if you told me this had come out in 1982, I'd believe you.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Singing Chav posted:

Man now I want a shirt that says DRUM MACHINE MUST BE STOPPED

There is no way that the person who did this is not here in this room right now.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's funny, they seem to call themselves doom metal, but I'd say it's closer to what's being called witch house.

What the poo poo is "witch house" supposed to be anyway. (The Wikipedia article is of course filled with so many qualifiers as to be useless.)

God Of Paradise posted:

If industrial is considered to be just TG and poo poo, or industrial is considered to be EBM bands like VNV Nation or Combichrist, or industrial is that industrial metal craze of the 90s or whatever.... What the hell is the label or term for what I listen to?
Any time you try to talk to anyone about industrial music, I've found it becomes a massive pissing contest about this very subject, and I don't want to be associated with it. So should I just describe all the bands I like as "Post Punk?"

"industrial", 'cos TG were contemporaneous with punk, though industrial joined in for post-punk.

coming soon: an essay on Neil Young as industrial musician.

david_a posted:

I never liked any of the sub-terms for industrial. Has anybody actually used the term "coldwave" unironically?

"we are totally not a bunch of goths or anything like that despite the glaringly obvious nature of our musical style, influences and appearance". see also "darkwave".

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wikkheiser posted:

It's like ... gothy sounds mixed with hip hop beats.
That's what it sounds like to me anyways.

trip hop goth, like Switchblade Symphony were sorta doing? Sounds plausible.

david_a posted:

I thought early Grimes was supposed to be witch house :iiam:

Bloody is too.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Goth/industrial music that's considered palatable by people in their teens/early twenties?Also somewhat characterised by using Unicode characters like crosses, daggers and triangles in band names. So yeah "V▲LH▲LL" is pretty clearly going for witch house.
E: ^^^ Yeah, this one sounds pretty good to me.

sounds the most plausible. But for instance someone called Lich "witch house" when it's a Wendy Carlos originals fan going goddamn nuts.

tl;dr genres are made-up bullshit.

Hubbardologist posted:

my interest in listening to new Crystal Castles has diminished rapidly with every new video and picture of the band since Alice Glass left. 'Deicide' was alright, I guess.

Yeah, I heard the new album today. It was ... uh ... competently played and recorded.

ANYWAY! New stuff I heard and reviewed! Darkwave (I particularly recommend the video of Dear Deer being shouty post-punks, it's still stuck in my head - "DEAR - DEER - DEAR - DEER") and SkyQode artists not actually being industrial. From the latter I particularly recommend Kromak's ability to make straight-up trance techno work for the industrial crowd, and Mirreya's singing. Also Rocknerd got Slashdotted and it was like being gummed by a senile newt.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Older Combichrist

:applause:

Hey, anyone here a musician on Bandcamp? I'm writing a blog post on why it's great, which I want to put up tomorrow. To me as a listener it's pretty much the perfect record store for 2016. But what's it like for you as a musician? What I hear from the indie kids is that they don't make much money selling records on Bandcamp, but they don't make much money selling records any other way. And I see these bands and labels dumping substantial portions of their back catalogue there. So what's it like at the sharp end?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Maybe you're more interested in someone who actually sells some music from time to time but to me it's just the ultimate way to display and sell your music. It's just so effortless to set up a good-looking website, let people listen to your music and sell anything you want to, be it digital or physical, in just about any way you want to. The interface and the available tools are all so well-thought-out it's genuinely a pleasure to use. It's also completely transparent how everything works moneywise.

Bandcamp owns is what I'm saying.

yeah, that's what I'd gathered. I've asked some grizzled old musicians who got their catalogue back and put the whole thing up, but I may not hear back from them soon enough to keep up with my punishing and completely self-inflicted one post a day schedule.

On another topic: I have found THE COMPLETE AND HELPFUL ANSWER to WHAT THE gently caress WITCH HOUSE IS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5c-P4N84Y

The guy has videos on a zillion other electronic subgenres and they're all pisstakes and also completely helpful and accurate. He also has an album of what he did in the videos.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The interface and the available tools are all so well-thought-out it's genuinely a pleasure to use. It's also completely transparent how everything works moneywise.

God Of Paradise posted:

Having some lovely homemade demos give people the basic idea and help us get gigs booked.

Mind if I quote these sentences attributed to your band names? (you almost certainly don't mind, but I thought I should ask first.)

Today's substantial musical contribution: Massenhysterie, Austrian goths doing Neue Deutsche Welleish fetish cabaret with that authentic "we just bought our first MS-20" sound. A tendency to gratuitous quirkiness, but fundamentally you should know what to expect from that description. There's also a video or two.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Babby Sathanas posted:

Spoiler alert: I will get drunk attempt to not embarrass myself and probably fail. Before or after screaming at ATR and VAC.

Don't forget to ask all the bands if they're Witch House. Tell them Diva wanted to know, and see how many fly into a rage.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wikkheiser posted:

If I ever grow tired of stern-looking German women in purple hair and leather outfits yelling at me over synths, put me down for my own good.

Austrian, how dare you sir!

(also I'm pretty sure that's all PVC)

New thread title

+1

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
EBM is Hi-NRG disco in a minor key, and instead of soul divas you have shouty Germans.

Suchen
Auf der Suche nach Liebe
Die ganze Zeit, ich kann!
Suchen
Auf der Suche nach Liebe
Ich habe einen Mann zu finden!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ohrwurm posted:

Y'all should join the slack group. It's a cool place to be

Is there an IRC gateway? I'm on EFnet #altgothic (for the people who were on Usenet in the late 20th century) and it's near ghost town, so if I can connect with Hexchat I'm there.

Hedenius posted:

If you're into that you should check out Retronic Voice. So good.

oh my god that's italo

oh, my article on witch house. In full grumpy cynical old man mode. The picture is good. Hedy Lamarr sort of invented wifi you know.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Brian Eno knows the score

https://twitter.com/dark_shark/status/764314305709809665/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
That Bandcamp piece, viciously mining this very thread for quotes (with permission)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I have a problem I'm trying to solve: loving Wikipedia(tm). Now I've been involved in the world's favourite encyclopedia since 2004 and know how the rules work, and even the most infuriating rules all there for a reason. In particular the "notability" rules are there because spammers mean we can't have nice things.

So this presents a certain problem for our favourite musical genre, because the sourcing is thin as gently caress and is mostly blogs (which don't count).

One thing which does count is a national chart, including minor national charts. Say ... the Deutsche Alternative Charts. If your record gets a DAC entry, it prima facie passes notability.

What I can't find is any handy source on past DACs. Like, at all. Is there such a thing? Is there even a subscription source without a swingeing price?

(The other sort of sourcing is print magazines in German, but this requires someone on the ground to source them.)

[The more general problem is that music journalism has been destroyed by the Internet when it took out the record industry. Speaking as a former music journalist, I can only see this as a good thing for humanity. But it does mean that an indie band from the 1980s will often have excellent sources, but one from the 2010s just won't.]

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Looking at the notability guidelines, isn't simply being on the roster of a label enough, if that label has been going a while and has a few bands? Some bands seem to just have their label website bio/album pages as sources?

You'd think so but in practice it isn't. Band articles are such a goddamn sea of spam they get fussy. (I spend way too much time in the Wikipedia spam mines, because breaking spammer hearts is the wind beneath my wings.)

The rule is WP:BAND and you have to hit a pile of these. IME charting (DAC counts) gets you prima facie notability, non-blog musical coverage helps a lot, not charting but touring like a motherfucker in such a way that you get coverage in non-blog media counts ... it's squishy, but there are reasons WP is fussy and most of them are "spammers mean we can't have nice things". Sigh. Oh, paper sources are fine for citations too - doesn't have to be an online source. But you can appreciate what arse it can be sometimes. Basically, WikiProject Industrial needs operatives in Germany and doesn't have them. (And German Wikipedia seems even fussier than English Wikipedia.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Could you get away with mentions in Sonic Seducer? They have a paper magazine and a searachble online presence too?

Probably be a good start. Multiple coverage helps a whole lot.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

Couldn't you just use a site like discogs that's actually for putting obscure bands on instead of wrestling with the head nerds at wikipedia

As one of those head nerds - nope! Discogs is technically "user-generated content", and never mind that in practice it's better than the typical "reliable source" (another wacky Wikipedia jargon term that doesn't mean "actually reliable".) Discogs is near-infallible in my experience, actually. But the key thing on keeping an article from being deleted is, Discogs specifically does not discriminate on noteworthiness - it takes everything - so is no good as evidence anyone will care about a band.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Prop Wash posted:

Frank M. Spinath, the vocalist, also sings for Ghost and Writer if you'd like more of his soothing voice. Their recent track on the Electronic Saviors compilation was really great. If you'd prefer to hear him in more of a speaking role, you could also go take a psychology class from him at the University of Saarland.

Also a single with Liquid Newt (what sorta friggin name is "Liquid Newt") which was pretty nice.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Been hitting the synthpop. The futurepoopy end of EBM is industrial mellowing into synthpop, so of course there's the synthpop getting more obnoxious Today's review pile: Syntec (cheesy single, but it got my attention by the end), Torul (who I'd never heard of, and I'm busy playing their complete works - they're good!) and Curxes, the synthpoppers whose nice pop album is definitely today's most obnoxious racket. The English synthpop scene is a weird beast I seem to be approaching the edges of.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Fredrik Kroona solo albums are surprisingly nice EBM pop (even though he objects to the description "EBM", oh my goodness it totally is). The vocals are all clear, which is a surprise if you've ever heard his Cookie Monster hideous screeching with Cynical Existence.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Did some more industrial reviews. Aesthetische, Mari Kattman, Cyanotic, Syntec. Mari Kattman is quite the find.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

THE FUTURE IS HERE AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Today's nice bit of music: District 13 from Germany. "I'm Moving On", Dark Memories EP, See You Again - more subtle EBM. I wasn't sure about the voice (too strong in the mix), but it works very well on "I'm Moving On" and provoked me to try Dark Memories a second time, at which point I got it a lot better. There's also the first "demo album",, which most reminds me of Wolfsheim. A more considered industrial pop.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
A nice new EP from Faderhead, Anima in Machina. It's two new songs and reworking of eight old ones. It's very much on the synthpop end of the industrial scale, way less crunchy than most of his stuff. It was going to be Bandcamp-only, but if you want a physical CD he's taking preorders until Sunday.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hedenius posted:

Apparently the new Apoptygma Berzerk is completely instrumental and electronic. Anyone heard it yet?

Hopefully better than when he went sorta wanna metal. Preview video is pleasant enough.

In other locally relevant news, Cybercide from the UK have rereleased their 2006 debut album Adrenalin with a pile of extra tracks. They sound like early 2000s Slimelight goers who want to be VNV when they grow up and are doing not too bad a job of it. Good solid pounding trancy futurepop EBM just the way we liked it, with decent songs. Not sure how I missed these guys' existence first time around.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
from me: Reviews: Frustration, Logic + Olivia, Beborn Beton, Disjecta Membra - coupla bleepsters in there. The L+O is not so gret akshuly though the first track actually is. The new Beborn Beton single is a winner and has a Human League cover as one of the B-sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
From Negativland, the ultimate in artist-fan relations merchandising. U2 will never top this one. Sadly.