Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Godmachine posted:

I have to plug FGFC820. These guys are pretty drat rad. YOU DON'T loving BELIEVE ME!?

FGFC820 - Society

Looking forward to seeing them at Kinetik, they were awesome opening for Funker Vogt in '09. So many bonus points for their Ich Bin Ein Auslander cover.

Trip report: Gothsicles were completely awesome last night, and I got my Tremere deck signed by darkNES and :EYG:. So very glad the Albany curse didn't strike again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I hadn't listened to I.E.D. yet, but I thought I'd better before Kinetik so I'm not totally confused by what they're playing. Opinion seems to vary on the album, but I thought it was about good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Artificial Soldier, and Angriff is definitely one of my favorite FLA songs now. The Jourgensen song is kind of eh, but it doesn't make me think of Ministry so much as "huh, this is just like 'Beers, Steers, and Queers'".

If nothing else, the album has some good songs for when I go running, since my pace is just enough faster than the tempo that like 90% of the genre uses for it to not work at all.

(side note: if you see a guy with a :geno: pin on in Montreal for the next week, it's presumably me)

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Twiin posted:

Edit: So who else is going to Kinetik? (I'm gonna be secretly performing briefly on Thursday and DJing on Sunday, if anyone wants to say hi.)

That's awesome, I'm so loving excited for Thursday. Funker Vogt put on a great show the last time I saw them, looking forward to Iszoloscope too.

Oh, Thursday's FLA too, they'd better be awesome after I missed them in the New York fiasco back in '06.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Twiin posted:

I'm reposting this from the NIN thread because I think people here might find it as hilarious to listen to as I did to make it -- my DJ mix from Kinetik: Industrial v. Hip Hop!

Featuring PWEI, Cubanate, NIN, Public Enemy, Pharcyde, Dead Prez, and more!

I caught the second half of your set on Sunday and it rocked, sucks that I wasn't able to see Iszoloscope because of the ticket-line shenanigans. I think I used pretty much my worst possible dance moves in the 2nd room, my only defense is that I was four+ beers in at that point in the night.

You know if there's any truth to the rumor about drama :rolleyes: keeping Ronan out of Bruderschaft's set? I have to admit, they were about 80 times better than I was expecting, and I was expecting them to be awesome(ly hilarious, probably).

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

boo_radley posted:

You're pretty lucky! I emailed them and got a reply that they're not sending any more out.

I think they must have made some more, because they just emailed me today and said they'd sent out a copy. I emailed them about it initially back on Friday, maybe?

teethgrinder posted:

Shame about Ayria playing

t:mad:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I got so excited when I saw Pop Will Eat Itself is putting out a new album, but apparently it's only one of the original members? Dammit Clint, I'm sure the soundtrack business is far better-paying, but it's not the Poppies if you're not there :(

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I'd like WTF?! even if it wasn't a good album, because otherwise I wouldn't know that kidneythieves is putting out new material again. It IS good though, one of my favorites to go running with.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Once again, the conservative "didn't have the cash to renew my passport" portfolio pays off for the broke investor -- Kinetik is cancelled :(

quote:

Hi Everyone,

There has been a complicated and unplanned situation involving Kinetik Production that as of this week has become insurmountable. Unfortunately because of the confidential nature of the case, it’s impossible to go into details, but you need to know that we are now facing issues that have a major effect on the continuation of the Kinetik Festival. After consulting council and looking at all possible options, we sadly have to close down Kinetik Productions and put an end to the Kinetik Festival.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I hadn't been paying attention to the lineup once I decided I wasn't going to be able to go, goddamn is that a lot of bands I want to see. Including our own Volt9000! That really sucks.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Whatever it takes to get more out of him. :allears:

Agreed, the man can put on a hell of a show. And still looks better in leather pants than I do, that's for sure.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

I looked them up when Angelspit toured with them, and it's straight up pop. Like, surgary, Justin Bieber-y pop - just dressed in Hot Topic clothes. I was baffled and didn't go. I haven't really liked Angelspit much since then, either.

Even if the pedophilia and rape and rape-pedophilia weren't a thing, and even if their music wasn't total garbage, they seemed really lovely about touring. On that tour with Angelspit, they canceled an Albany show at the last minute because they wanted to hang out in New York City that night.

But hey, Combichrist has standards apparently, who knew?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Quick, somebody offer Eskil, like, a few cases of liquor! My girlfriend likes Covenant better than VNV anyway.

Or hey, make this Caustic thing real, I'll take it. What's the guy from Epsilon Minus doing these days, holo-simRonan would be pretty cool too.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

The more I hear about the tour, the more bummed I get about being broke and living in NB.

Conversely, I really did get a job at EXACTLY the right time.

Man, I am roughly 4x as hyped for Montreal now, it'll be like a mini-Kinetik.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

It was weird seeing FLA at the same place and having such different feelings; at Kinetik 2011 they had a much better mix of old and new songs, I thought, and more enthusiasm. My girlfriend had her purse stolen sometime around that set, so maybe I'm just more negative because of that (at least they only stole the money and left her passport card). Youth Code and Haujobb were great though, and Skinny Puppy was still pretty good I thought.

I see Ogre's made a commitment to sweat off 20 pounds by the end of the tour, with that costume he's wearing?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Also, I've not thought about Stabbing Westward in a long time. I think I still have Ungod somewhere.

I was just thinking about them the other day, because the singer's current band has a new album coming out soon. The first single really scratches that 90s itch for me, I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

Speaking of the 90s, Gravity Kills is almost entirely to blame for the music I listen to. I wish they'd hurry up and finish the new album they were working on a couple of years ago.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have a hard time being nostalgic for Stabbing Westward given the persistent rumors I've heard about the lead singer since then.

I don't know anything about that and I'm not sure I want to, is it worse than being a Nazi or Thomas Rainer (ho ho, the redundancy of my words)?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

A late post, but:

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I like this genre, but don't have a good source of news on it, so I occasionally return to this thread to find bands I didn't already know about. I had never heard of Assemblage 23 until yesterday (here) and they are good! I think my favorite Industrial-ish thing is still Kidneythieves, who haven't been doing much lately. Can anyone suggest something similar that is?

Actually, Free Dominguez (who basically is kidneythieves these days, is my perception) just finished up a kickstarter for a new album: link. She's been fairly active on Google+ -- video hangouts and such.

teethgrinder posted:

Kidneythieves really reminded me of another band, but it's lost somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind. Will take a while to recall.

Snake River Conspiracy, maybe? I've always liked them a lot, partly because of the absurdity of the Third Eye Blind connection and partly the repeated scene-drama blowups (and the songs too, of course). Flesh Field? The Azoic?

(two of those three are disbanded by the way, Staplefrog, but you'd probably like them if you like kidneythieves. I'm not sure what the status of The Azoic is, which is a shame because I like them the best of anything I've mentioned)

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 17, 2015

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

boo_radley posted:

My life with the thrill kale kult

This one or Mindless Self Improvement are my favorites so far.

Project Pole-vault
Angelripped
20/20/Vision
Gravity Assists
Panic Deadlift
Pop Will Eat More Fiber
Rep 9000

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I may have to take a trip to Calgary this year: Terminus Festival is going to have Grendel, Ayria, Everything Goes Cold, iVardensphere, VAC, and loving Perturbator of all things.

Bitchkrieg posted:

I have tickets for Laibach in Indianapolis and Chicago -- and am absurdly excited to finally see them live.

KMFDM is finalizing a 2015 tour, too, but I don't know if I can bring myself to go. Their last album was unlistenably bad, and Sascha's foray into MLM is laughable.

MLM as in pyramid schemes?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Wow, that started at "well this doesn't seem too bad, maybe it's a misunderstanding like Lowtax and mangosteen" and then quickly took a dive into "oh Sascha, what are you doing this time".

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Babby Sathanas posted:

Yeah synthwave/outrun/whatever is probably the coolest stuff in the world and everyone should listen to it.

It's definitely the most exciting thing related to this genre* that I've heard in the last five years, I love synthwave. Even back when I didn't know it was a whole genre with bands and labels and such, and just referred to it as "you know, those songs with 80s/90s synths that they have now".

*I suppose you could call it an extension of EBM? Meh, Perturbator's playing Terminus so it's genre enough for me at least.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Sizone posted:

What actual good Outrun bands are there? I've heard and like perturbator, but nothing else I've heard in sampler packs for the genre sounds even remotely as aggressive, interesting or good.

Have you heard Carpenter Brut? That was my gateway drug to the genre.

Edit: And Dynatron is kind of hit-or-miss for me, but the hits are really good imo.

Pope Guilty posted:

As I've said before, everybody I know who's into synthwave/Outrun is also into industrial/ebm, and I don't know that many people into industrial/ebm.

I have a thought on this: the idea of synthwave/outrun/etc. is sort of replicating the soundtrack to movies that never existed, but they're the kind of movies that people in this scene tend to universally be into (70s horror-exploitation, 90s Terminator-ripoffs). Or if not movies, then SNES/Genesis games which, again, people in the scene are into (because we're all old).

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 27, 2015

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Figures that I'd sign up for a half-marathon in New Jersey and then find out that FLA and PWEI (presumably the bastardized new-PWEI, but still) are playing at Cold Waves in Chicago the evening of that same day. My feet are going to be hamburger, but I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Don't forget Kinetik, which I would have expected to have a fairly competent management after running for six years (I'll grant that's nothing next to the big German festivals). There were signs of things going wrong with that one -- the move was a pretty big red flag that SOMETHING was up -- but I figured it would at least make it through one iteration in Toronto before dying and/or getting a name/management change.

Then again, I don't think we really know what happened with that, just that it specifically wasn't the venue?

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Huh, I forgot to post about it but a friend of mine, one of the other DJs at the night I spin at sometimes, is playing with The Gothsicles at Resistanz. That's pretty rad. Treat him right, UK!