Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Serious question: Do I need new speakers, or is there way too much loving distortion in what's coming out these days? I was just sitting and listening to a bunch of promos from Promo Fabrik, and wumpscut and Skold's new albums, and it's like the artists decided that there needs to be an inch of wool between their music and the listener.

Edit: That's setting aside the buttrock-with-a-distortion-pedal bands stinking up Metropolis these days.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Right now I'm using Sony MDR-V700s, and I don't bother with promos less than 192kbps.

I know I said "serious question," but I don't really think it's a hardware issue--these tracks and albums sound just as bad over the radio station soundboard. Over the past 10 years I've heard a bunch of groups who had some beats but ruined their tracks by distorting and mixing them into an indistinct blur--I guess they decided that if distorted vocals were good enough for Sascha and Johan van Roy, they could use it to hide the fact that they had nothing to show when it came to vocals or lyrics. It's only recently that it seems like an epidemic.

The thing is, I also notice this in veteran acts like 16volt and Tim Skold. Maybe it's just a byproduct of the decision to focus on industrial rock rather than their more dancefloor-friendly work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

It's not electro-industrial, but there's a Cruxshadows video which is about 2/3 the singer and violinist walking along some railroad tracks for no readily apparent reason. Absolutely nothing to do with the song, just we had this footage so whatever.
The Cruxshadows are not a good example because Rogue is a goofball who would just do stuff like that. I remember a show here in Charlottesville where he randomly decided he needed to deliver one song from atop a ladder.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just want to add that Clan of Xymox will never tour the States again, because they want me to be very very sad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Remember when industrial music was about how capitalism reduces us to objects, and not about how much fun it is to reduce women to objects?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

het posted:

It's okay guys, he's clearly just satirizing people who release their music as coffee table books of BDSM erotica
I've figured it out, he wants to be Madonna 20 years ago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought that extreme metal and "neo-folk" existed so that we don't have to put up with actual fascists in this scene.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Last time I paid attention to them, they were determined to keep spiraling downward into repetitive disco.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Really enjoying the new FLA, Dead When I Found Her, and Prometheus Burning. Oh yeah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Twiin posted:

I think it is unlikely! But they might change their mind if they hear that a lot of people want a physical release.

IN OTHER NEWS:

http://coilhouse.net/2012/11/on-misogyny-in-industrial-music/
One part of the article seems out of step with the rest:

quote:

But something happened. Once industrial music had fully transitioned from avant-garde venues into nightclubs, the stench of Axe body spray began to dominate the subculture as a certain douchey, bro-tastic vibe emerged. Where the goth/industrial scene had once existed as a safe haven for artists, weirdos, outcasts, geeks, dreamers and rebels, a disturbing trend of sexism, racism and anti-intellectualism is driving people out.

As much as I'd like to blame misogyny in industrial music on those loving jocks invading it, I think a more likely theory is that the industrial scene has always carried an uneasy balance between coopting violent, militaristic imagery as a protest and embracing it for the power fantasy it provides. The fascism is coming from inside the scene!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I should have included this in my last post, but I wanted to specifically say that "Weirdos, Outcasts, Geeks, Dreamers and Rebels" often harbor disturbing power fantasies and seek empowerment from fascist, misogynist conventions.

To be honest, I can't support what some bands put in the imagery they present, regardless of whether they claim it's ironic and regardles of whether they mean it. Boyd Rice, for example, comes across to me as a creepy idiot with delusions of intellectualism, who does inappropriate things and claims he was taking the piss if he gets called out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I didn't realise Kraftwerk touring was such a big deal. I did see them once in Toronto years back ... and fell asleep during Autobahn :shobon: (it had been a very very long day)
I fell asleep during Autobahn while they put me under to have my wisdom teeth removed. It was fun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Twiin posted:

Terminus in Calgary looks great. Leather Strip, Klutae, Aimon, Distorted Memory, iVardensphere. Assemblage 23 and XP8 if you're into that kind of thing.
I like XP8 but I just wish they were a little more...harder? I don't know if that's the right word. I group them with a lot of bands that just need that little bit extra for their songs to be great dance hits, but they never quite get there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A heroin addict protesting the consumption of products that exploit suffering is bloody hilarious. That's all I got.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I Die: You Die posted:

Johan Van Roy is pretty creatively conservative. For all the dimestore transgression is his lyrics (death, murder, god hates us/is a dick, etc.) he sticks close to what’s been working for him since the massive breakthrough that was 2000′s Mindstrip. And why not? His audience seems content for him to produce upgraded versions of the same minor key oontz exercises every couple of years, complete with slightly better production and a new set of evil movie samples. Aside from the dubious distinction of being the band who has inspired more awful EBM than anyone else (arguably a title shared with the similarly hidebound Hocico) there hasn’t been much that argues for Suicide Commando’s relevance beyond his existing fanbase.

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm okay with that. I like what I've heard. Also, that blog has become the Pitchfork of industrial music. Really pretentious writing with all of these weird extraneous reasons for liking or not liking a record. It's rarely what you're hearing but what it reflects about something completely arbitrary.
I've got no loving idea what you're talking about; nothing about that paragraph is the least bit affected or abstruse.

I like ID:YD for calling out a lot of the "transgressive" content in industrial music for being rather mundane fantasies of a privileged audience, just like it is in the metal scene. And Christ yes, SC and Hocico have inspired so many godawful bands who sound like they layer the sound of a dishwasher over everything that I got my friends saying YASCRO (yet another Suicide Commando rip-off) to warn each other away from lovely harsh EBM albums without needing a detailed conversation.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 10, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've had a backlog of about 40 promo albums, seriously, and am just getting around to previewing them in the past few days. Alfa Matrix has given me a bunch of promos where every track has a robot lady voice saying "This is a promotional copy" about 15 or 30 seconds in. I don't know what they expect me to do with these.

I mean, they've informed me, personally, of a few albums I'll want to buy, like the new Dunkelwerk and Helalyn Flowers, but these are promotional materials that I'm not going to promote by playing them.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 19, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Some of the artists actually do it themselves. Ladyhell has a sexy accent, but it will still make me look like an idiot if I play it Tuesday night.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You know what makes an amazing new song even better? A fedora.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
With a fedora video, obviously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Chris Vrenna! Raymond Watts! That guy from that thing with the stuff!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not unless we're talking about rip-offs of Suicide Commando and their affect on industrial music as a whole, no.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Cleaner posted:

It's a bit much, ya. I think from now on we're going to play it safe and avoid the whole political-social-conspiracies gimmick... and just stick to beating the poo poo out of women while wearing SS-inspired uniforms while waving confederate flags.

You know, the acceptable genre tropes.
:downsrim:
Hey, if you want to delve into people in the scene claiming to be anti-establishment while perpetuating commercialized bigotry, by all means go ahead. It's a problem that continues to disappoint me on a regular basis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I always associated it with Happy Hardcore and Dance Dance Revolution.

Edit: VVV Benedictine and brandy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So as long as we're playing "What's that oontz oontz thing called," is there a term for the kind of "harsh EBM" lyrics where the singer sounds like he's already blown his voice out screaming all night, and also like he's about to throw up? Like this. And can it stop? Ever?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Noricae posted:

They'll go on at the same time for a battle of the bands in large steel cages. One band's members will be wearing helmets in the shape of guns and using voice distorters, while the other one will be wearing mecha suits that keep wobbling when they move. It will be an even match.

edit: Ok, I would watch this.

That sounds more like a Funker Vogt/Hanzel und Gretyl tour.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

Kanye West made the best industrial album of the year.

Kanye West posted:

Four in the morning, and I'm zoning
I think I'm possessed, it's an omen
I keep it 300 like the Romans
300 bitches, where the Trojans?
Baby, we living in the moment
I've been a menace for the longest
But I ain't finished, I'm devoted
And you know it, and you know it

If so, he definitely beat Aesthetic Perfection for the "Most Embarrassing Lyrics by a Revered Artist" Award.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

This is gonna get really lovely really quickly. Kind of like "Antibody."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't think he's going in a new direction, though! People complaining about how they miss his "old sound" don't make sense to me, nor do people defending the changes he's supposedly making. "Antibody" doesn't sound stylistically different to me from anything else, he's done, it's just a surprisingly weak song. I'm baffled as to why he decided to release it as a single, but I don't expect it to signal any kind of sea change going forward; I heard "Dead Ringer" from the new album and I liked it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Maybe this question is too broad for the thread, but is it ever possible for a band to dodge criticism for evolving? I guess you can either lose fans because you changed, or lose fans because you didn't. On the other hand, I don't think Suicide Commando's changed his style in about 10 years and apparently people keep buying his stuff.

But in full disclosure, it's me, I'm the guy who hates it when a band that makes fun dance music disappears for awhile and then comes back with a more mature, thoughtful, serious (i.e. undanceable and boring) release. For example, I was really disappointed by Stromkern's Dead Letters EP.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So what actually happened on the cruise?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SacrificialGoat posted:

So Hate Dept. put out a new album called New Ghost. It's pretty good.
http://hatedept.bandcamp.com/album/new-ghost-2
Wow, it's nice to see those guys coming around again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

FH is the closest thing the industrial "scene" has to a dubstep bro.
My girlfriend's friend was recently asked to "party" with them backstage when she was vending at a show.

Omi-Polari posted:

Or Money.

2-3 pouches, Aloe2go. Three to get ready now go, kids, go!

Now here you creeps, punks and freaks
I'm Talkin' 'bout fuel for your physiques
While the music business fails
Check out your resistance to my sales

Buy this poo poo, lose your brain
Piss your cash, down the drain
Stupid fans have made me rich
Ram it up your poop-chute, you're my bitch

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 9, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

I hope she gave them a fistful of gently caress you.
That's exactly what I said, and apparently she did. She's a tiny woman, so being alone backstage (with guys who think it's funny to put violence against transgender women in their video) was not her idea of a good time. Apparently, if you're a makeup artist, people assume you're aroused by the allure of hard drugs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ANAmal.net posted:

Welp. I hadn't heard of Faderhead until I saw them live this past Friday, and now I feel guilty for thinking they were rad. :smith: I already can't stand Combichrist, and I enjoyed the first part of Nachtmare's set before they got weird with the sexism and poo poo. Is there anyone making that style of music that doesn't have serious issues, or is this just not the right scene for that.

Well Wagner was a poo poo but he made some good music. How have you not heard "Dirtygrrrls/Dirtybois" eleventy thousand times like the rest of us? I want to know your secret.

Some people think that this kind of poo poo is happening because brostep fratboys are invading our scene, but I think that's dishonest: industrial music fandom has always included a lot of FedorasofOKCupid white guys who don't give a gently caress for progressive politics and take the militaristic power fantasies seriously.

VVV Edit: I forgot that they were drag queens and not transgender women. I doubt Faderdude knows the difference.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 9, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

I think we might be overstating the problem with sexual violence because I've only seen it with a couple bands: Combichrist, Nachtmahr, Faderhead and Suicide Commando. These are also some of the most popular bands, however.
I agree. It's not that everyone's a fuckhead, just some fuckheads making a lot of money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Comparison: Laibach, whose imagery relies on similar things. However, Laibach ALSO provides tons of commentary on the things it decides to show to people in everything they do, from the Nazi-looking uniforms that actually aren't Nazi uniforms, to the lyrics that seem like fascist chants but turn out to be direct translations of ordinary pop songs, or the artwork that at first sight can be seen as fascist but is, in reality, by a fervently antifascist artist. It's obvious to anyone who has half a brain and is willing enough to research the band's imagery, lyrics, methods and history just a tiny bit more in-depth that Laibach's reasons for using "totalitarian" imagery are something quite different than promoting fascism.

I mean ugh I guess there must be a million holes in what I just wrote and it's 3 AM, and I know Feindflug aren't fascist (unless they're liars I guess?), but they still make me uncomfortable. I'm just not particularly excited about hearing Hitler samples in my music, for any reason. I personally think context makes up about 50% of the meaning of any art, and I just don't get the context Feindflug works in.
The difference is, Laibach's a very comprehensive act who are really dedicated to their gimmick, whereas Feindflug just put samples in their instrumental music, apropos of nothing. Why samples of Nazis rather than Sesame Street or whatever?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Stoddard of Front Line Assembly started a project called Rough Hausen, and it's...surprisingly bad. It's like he's after the juggalo market.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
idie:youdie singled out bands with "terror" in their name as the latest musical trend that needs to die, but "Adjectival Noun" names need to die a thousand times harder. I like Cryogenic Echelon, but I mean, come on. Your name is Frozen Rank? Did they just pick obscure words out of a thesaurus?

Hedenius posted:

I really liked Kloq and was looking forward to the new album. What the gently caress happened there... I think someone finally beat Apoptygma in the "turn to poo poo" category.
I share your disappointment. They did a few songs that meant a lot to me at a time I was going through some difficult poo poo. Their new album just sounds bland, like they sacrificed their uniqueness to fall in with several other industrial/alt-rock hybrid bands Metropolis is promoting in the past few years. My radio show is on a predominantly "modern rock" station and I'm all in favour of industrial groups taking influence from modern rock, but not when the result is neither-here-nor-there, neither-fish-nor-fowl bands like Dope Stars Inc.

Speaking of which, I cannot even come to grips with people saying that the best industrial is really coming from mainstream hip-hop producers. In fact, I just can't come to grips with Kanye West's new album being a piss-awful piece of crap. I liked My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Yeezus sounds like another in a years-long succession of mainstream hip-hop albums with the latest musical trend dumped on them like a cheap sauce. It's the musical equivalent of a Chili's appetizer, and the lyrics sounds like he was talking in his sleep.

Edit: VVV Great live show, album is still bullshit.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 29, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does the title mean he's embracing his role as a creepy guy people hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It annoys me when the Geek Social Fallacies forestall people in the scene from calling out others who are bigoted and creepy. If Combichrist represents the douchebros who wandered into the scene, Rainer is the privileged egotist who's always been hanging around, but we didn't want to talk about. If he doesn't understand why "I'm not a Nazi, I just get off on dressing up like one and slapping women around" is not acceptable, I don't think anyone can reach him.

I say this because his attitude reminds me of a few people I've met in my regional scene. I don't expect everyone who listens to industrial music to become a radical leftist, but I am aghast at manchildren who have been in the scene for years, and think the music and the imagery is actually a validation of their white, male, straight, privileged South Park Republican view of the world. I just don't understand how their willful ignorance can be so thoroughly impregnable.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't hate Rainer for being an ironic Nazi. The reactions are too funny. I hate him for being a unedgy, copycat smuglord.
So if he weren't ironic, he'd be Boyd Rice? Actually, I'm not sure he's ironic.

Is there anything approaching a consensus on Death in June? For a long time I thought it was just another band toying with controversial imagery without having the same commitment to theatre and commentary that you see in Laibach, but then I read some articles about DiJ attracting sincere bigots to their shows and supporting fascist causes.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 6, 2013