Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Hm, I'd like to see Dismantled live. I never have caught Front Line Assembly live. Are they any good? I've always been a little bit leery after that fake Bill Leeb incident a while back.

I saw them when they toured for Implode. I thought it was a pretty weak show, but I'm going to see them on this tour anyway, because, hey, nothing wrong with having a few beers and hearing some movie samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I always find it interesting how wildly tastes diverge even within such a narrow category, such as "people who like FLA." I kinda like everything up to and including FLAvour of the Weak, and then thought it was all poopcrap after that. Although I keep buying each new album and will usually find at least one jam that I dig.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

hatelull posted:

Also, and take this for what it's worth, I really only enjoy it on headphones or played Loud on a decent stereo. If I listen to it at work on my rubbish Altec-Lansing PC speakers it comes off as flat.

I wish I had a better handle on audio jargon so I could describe this better, but even on a good system, there's something about the mixing of the album that lacks... something. I think even cheating by adding a tiny bit of distortion on the high end and cranking the bass a tad would help. It's like... compressed... or something.

This is all a bit technical. :downs:

I dig the music, but the lack of sonic... texture... is not pleasing my ears.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Anybody want 2 tickets to the NYC FLA show? Stuff came up, so they're up for grabs. They're in PDF form from ticketweb, and it says in the email that you don't need to be the one who bought them to get in with 'em, so I can just forward the email on.

Can't get a refund or anything, so I may as well give them to someone who will use them. PM me or email me at tentaclesex @ the email service everyone uses unless they're some weirdo stuck in the 90s.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hip-hop and industrial share a lot of DNA. They're also the only two genres of music that I listen to, so this poo poo is right up my alley.

I think a less jokey approach to it could yield some excellent results, though I appreciate what you were going for here and find it fun. :)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

hatelull posted:

Was it Cleopatra that was notorious for releasing excrementable compilations of covers from bands on their roster?

Yep! Your one-stop shop for half-assed Electric Hellfire Club and Razed in Black covers of totally inappropriate material!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah. Ogre pulls off semi-nonsense lyrics in a way that seems artsy and deep in that "I guess I'm just not tuned in enough to get it" sort of way.

Bill Leeb's lyrics are straight retarded.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Speaking of FLA, what's up with their B-sides almost universally being their best songs?

edit: also, how fun is it when you're watching some lovely science fiction or horror movie and you recognize a sample from some song you jammed out to in high school? Man, I love that

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 8, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Cleaner posted:

I'll agree it sounds rreeally promising... however I'm finding this one sounds way more Download than the structured OhGr.. lots of glitchy drums and wobbly synths.

I think it's gunna be a dirty album... DIRTY!

I got a strong Download vibe too. Well, I guess it makes sense for modern SP to sound like a hybrid of Download and Ohgr, right? Works for me.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hey everyone, I just wanted to pop in here and show off a poster I just had framed.

I've had it for a while, but didn't have a good place to put it. I just moved though, so I got to start over in terms of decoration, so this guy is now hovering over the sofa.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
drat it, you guys are making me jealous about the West coast exclusivity of the tour. Come to NYC, Ogre! We always go nuts for you here!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Furret Basket posted:

Does anyone know how I can find, purchase or obtain this? Does anyone have a copy that I can buy? (It's a Cobalt 60 cover of Crush from Command and Conquer Red Alert.)

[edit]

Ooooo looks like I can at least get that cover on this Red Alert soundtrack/compilation second CD has Laibach, Prodigy and Project Pitchfork on it too. Haha, it's like it was made for me.

Haha, I love how random that collection of poo poo is. Just like that promo CD for Wing Commander: Prophecy with Cobalt 60, Fear Factory, Die Krupps, KMFDM, Das Ich, Project Pitchfork, Rammstein, etc. None of that poo poo is in or otherwise related to the game.

edit: aside from Cobalt 60, obviously, since they were basically Front 242: Electronic Arts Edition.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 14, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Cleaner posted:

There were lots of 90's bands that went for that 80's sound but never really went anywhere as I think many went too far in doing the SP/NIN impersonations as opposed to doing that style their own way.

That's the thing. In theory, one might want a band that sounds like classic Skinny Puppy, but in reality, what made SP great was experimentation and evolution. A band that tries to sound like a bunch of forgotten B-sides from an earlier point in some other band's career is not interesting.

What I'm saying is Necro Facility sucks.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Do you know what else is terrible? This lovely Soman remix of Blue Monday

This sounds like it was made entirely with built-in samples and presets in an old version of Fruity Loops. Nothing against people who actually use Fruity Loops well, because it's a perfectly viable tool if you're not a jerk.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

spider_ross.avi posted:

How could NIN have covered Johnny Cash in 1994 when Cash first released Hurt in 2002 on American IV?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(Nine_Inch_Nails_song)

Dude, it was a joke.

You see, because Orgy covered Blue Monday, and... well, don't worry about it.

Maybe you're trolling us by being obtuse, but I have to put a stop to this either way.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pope Guilty posted:

Side-line is great! It's like a website that I can go to to see all the email Alfa Matrix sends me, only on a webpage!

You mean there's a website under all those ads?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hey, it takes a real hard-nosed journalist to copy and paste press releases with integrity.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RizieN posted:

fruity loops

Your memory is playing tricks on you. I think I remember the songs you're talking about, and they weren't any kind of badass industrial music.

They sounded impressive at the time if you were staring at this unfamiliar piece of software and unable to make anything that sounds like a song come out of it, but that's about it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Gravitom posted:

Who wants to be Bill Leeb piloting a giant transforming mech in a video game? I sure as gently caress do.

http://carbongames.com/2012/04/Front-Line-Assembly-Creating-Music-for-AirMech/

Neat. First thing that comes to mind is the Mindphaser video with all the Gunhed footage. This feels appropriate.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The rock drum samples definitely give it an older industrial rock sound, too. I'm enjoying it. I'd like a bit more textural variety between songs, though, as it gets a bit samey. (Although there's something to be said for having a cohesive sound. It's easy to get carried away with the freedom afforded by electronic music.)

As for approaching labels... do you really need one? https://itunesconnect.apple.com/WebObjects/iTunesConnect.woa/wa/apply

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

cheapandugly posted:

I was referring to both.

The way you worded that it sounds like you mean that Coil and Throbbing Gristle came from Crisis somehow.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Cleaner posted:

Can someone please explain to me why Nachtmahr/AlienVampires/BloodOnTheDanceFloor/etc... all have photos, videos, and live shows with half naked women loving everywhere?

The potential of being in close proximity to naked women is the only reason people like that* join bands in the first place.

*people who clearly have no interest in music

edit: honestly, I doubt if any of those people even spend time listening to music with any interest or a remotely critical ear.

edit edit: having music on in the background while doing something else doesn't count as listening.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 23, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Rainer talked to I Die: You Die about this business: http://www.idieyoudie.com/2012/05/an-interview-with-thomas-rainer-of-nachtmahr/

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's frustrating when people miss the point so widely. Disagreement is fine, but it's like they're not even participating in the conversation.

It's tough, because when you think about social issues, you expect others to at least understand the language. People (like Rainer) who have never given it serious thought don't really have the tools to engage, though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Ugh, I just got sucked into bouncing around Wikipedia looking at genre stuff.

Wikipedia posted:

While EBM has a minimal structure and clean production, electro-industrial has a deep, complex and layered sound, incorporating elements of ambient industrial. The style was pioneered by Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, and Wumpscut:. In the mid-'90s, the style spawned the dark electro and aggrotech offshoots.

I guess on some level it's right, but it's so reductive, and the terminology all makes me wanna barf. Why would someone write such a thing?

"Aggrotech (also known as Hellectro,)…"

God drat it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Yeah. On the other hand, I'm really happy with some of the other bands so don't really mind. It's probably a fair amount of money saved too - can't imagine KMFDM come cheap!

I sell drugs to the kids
'Coz that's what pays
I make a couple of hundreds
In just one day

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I still can't believe Rainer said that you should keep politics out of industrial music. What a tool.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
What a ridiculous and obtuse position. Although I guess he'd shy away from taking responsibility for having anything as extreme as a position.

Political expression through art is an extremely important facet of culture. Does Rainer think Picasso, Orwell, Chuck D and Joan Baez are a bunch of assholes for using art as a political vehicle?

I should stop getting mad, as he's obviously just a huge idiot with no ambition.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pope Guilty posted:

I hate when people talk like your politics are some separate and compartmentalized part of you. That's aggressively stupid and never in service to anything good.

It reminds me of video game developers who make FPS games about shooting brown people in the middle east; they're always quick to disavow any political statement. I don't know if it's more naivety or cowardice, but just claiming to be apolitical doesn't take your work out of the context of, you know, the world into which you release it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I bought it more out of a sense of loyalty than anything else. It's aight I guess.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Not really the same type of music, but since there's a lot of fan overlap anyway, I'll point out that the Neubauten album 9-15-2000, Brussels is killer. Excellent recording quality and fantastic performances.

Nothing beats actually being there and seeing them perform, but if you like live albums, that's a great one.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Since we're talking about "the scene" and what's wrong with it (:suicide:), I guess this is relevant: http://www.idieyoudie.com/2012/07/storytime-with-uncle-pathogen-july-12th-2012/

Not that I endorse his views.

Personally, I don't care if the genre is dead or not... the old stuff is still available to listen to (aside from some hard-to-find albums), and there are other areas in which the stuff that made industrial interesting is still being explored. Sure, "industrial night" at the club tends to be a total shitshow, but whatever. There's plenty of interesting, experimental music out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

boo_radley posted:

yeah, their split with EHC was not good. They were amazing together, but separate they just had no tension.

I don't know how much the departure of Buck Ryder (Thomas Thorn) had to do with it. I think people exaggerate the "split" that occurred. He was hired as a live performer, stuck around for a couple of albums, and then went on his way… at least that's how they tell the story these days.

I've seen TKK live like a million times, and it's never not been fun, even when I haven't been into whatever the new material was. They know what the fans want to hear*, and they generally turn in a fun performance.

It's at its best with (some incarnation of) the Bomb Gang Girlz and Charles Levi on the scene.

*which is not to say that they always play the same hits, but they rotate through a bunch of classics.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 28, 2012