Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

For the lot of you that have yet to seek out or care to be bothered with the handOver leak, Revolver magazine is premiering "Village" off of the new album.

The track has had a love/hate treatment at litany, with some muttering that it "sounds too much like KMFDM."

Turn it up. See if it sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This drops today. I think it's good, and at the very least leaps and bounds better than Mythmaker. Please go buy it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Jesus Christ, Apop's cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is hideous. In parts it's painful to listen to.

I don't find it painful, just supremely unnecessary and ultimately forgettable.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This won't apply to most of you, but if you're on the West Coast I highly recommend trying to make one of these dates:

ohGr live does NOT disappoint, and this tour should be worth it if only for seeing "Pissage" and "Comedown" live. He tours with William Morrison, Justin Bennett(live Puppy drummer), and Squigg.

I'm making a rock n' roll one night flight to Denver to see them play.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sadly, I don't think the money was there to do a full stateside tour for his latest record. It's a great album, but he notoriously has piss poor representation from the label.

Pain of Mind you might check out the stuff he did after WELT. SunnyPsyOp is dark twisted pop, and the following Devils in My Details is the sort of record a lot of die hard fans claim Puppy should have written. Bill Moseley (House of 10,000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, that second Texas Chainsaw Massacre film) does some excellent spoken work through the record. It was easily one of my favorite releases of 2008. His latest record, Undeveloped is a progressive mix of the poppy flavors from those first two LP's and some of the dark grittiness of DiMD.

His live shows are superb, and he pulls off some respectable staging as well.

Not quite Puppy, but tasty all the same.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

That bit on "Mr. Brownstone" where he starts in with the "Mister .. and Mrs. Jones" creeps me the gently caress out. I think it's just the cold delivery, but yeah ... it's a keeper.

"Gambatte" is one of my favorite things they've done since getting back together.

Also, Cat rear end you should really do everything in your power (steal, murder, kill, bribe, blackmail, threaten) to see them if they pull off a European tour in 2012. They are absolutely worth seeing live.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

I'm totally going to call into work so I can go to this since it's like, 15 blocks from where I live. Unfortunately this venue is like, all 16-year-old scene kids and 40-year-old goths wishing it was the 90's again. I'll probably just get wicked drunk in the alcohol section then punch teens in the face. It'll rule.

Which date are you going to be punishing underage cretins?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not to turn this into a ugly drag out fight, but even by the early to mid 90's wasn't the "Goth Scene" mostly played out? I mean, by that point the Sisters were just a legend and some LP's, the Cure were writing rubbish like "Friday, I'm in Love", the Pups were quickly on their way to indefinite hiatus, and Reznor turned a lot of it into arena rock while Cleopatra quietly put Tribute albums out ad nauseum.

That whole thing reached it's zenith in the mid 80's right?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 11, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I really like Cullorblind but the rest just isn't doing much for me except for Ashas :smith:

Ashas is kinda heart wrenching given the subject matter. I like the album pretty much, and see it as a vast improvement over Mythmaker. I came to terms long ago that they're not going to walk back wards to the classic creep out sounds with horror samples and whatthefuck noise ala "Knowhere?" or "Draining Faces" I can appreciate the new sound. It's easy to dismiss it as Key's Download material with ohGr vocals, but considering that it's 2011 and we're still getting new Puppy material that is quite alright with me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It is my duty to pimp this to any of you West Coast lot interested in catching ohGr on his short list of dates in support of unDeveloped.

VIP Packages.

The downside is that this is a fee additional to the ticket price. The upside is that you get to meet the man, the myth, and the legend (I won't go post another photo of the guy since that strays close to a man crush zone), witness the sound check (Puppy and ohGr sound checks are typically closed), and get some other geegaws. Also, you have a chance to win a prop from the Last Rights tour.

The optimist in me says this is an awesome service to the fans. The pessimist in me says this is a cash grab to nab more money in hopes of being able to support bigger dates in the future.

Still, I'll probably end up caving and getting a VIP pass. I'm already dropping cash for Round trip Denver air fare. Might as well make it worth every penny.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Thanks for the link, love it, although the music video was bizarre. EBM set against a backdrop of two guys fixing up a lovely old car :psyduck:

Maybe it serves as a metaphor for the current state of the genre.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

boo_radley posted:

There was a ton of old industrial videos of dudes just walking around burned out or abandoned factories, staring up into the sun or just looking into the camera. So you know, tradition.

This is why we need more videos like "Spasmolytic" or "Testure".

e: The quality for "spasymolytic" is shite. Sorry. How about "Cracker" as an apology? Video heavily apes the style of those early TOOL videos though.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

spider_ross.avi posted:

Just saw ohGr in Portland. It was pure chaos. I loved it. He rocked that stage. He played a lot of older stuff too, which made the crowd go loving insane. After the show, i saw him peeking from a balcony, so i did the "i see you" gesture to him and he got the biggest grin on his face and did it back. It was beautiful. He seemed very pleased with the audience.

for those of you not on the west coast: you're missing out on some great poo poo.

I'm seeing this on Wednesday. Flying to loving Denver for it. I'm very happy it is an awesome thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

No worries. If ohGr doesn't make enough cash off this short tour to extend the dates, Puppy will most certainly do a proper tour in the Spring in support of handOver.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

As for Puppy, I'd start with Rabies for the classic era and then maybe Greater Wrong of the Right as an entry point into the "post-Dwayne" stuff. If you need more guitars, try The Process. From there can branch off to the early stuff with synths roots to the gently caress you drug noise fare.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pigface has some of the noise and tribal elements of the bands you mentioned. They were/are more of a super group with a revolving cast of characters. However, the prominent member/founder is Martin Atkins and he did drums for Killing Joke in the early 90's.

You might check out Gub and/or fook. Gub takes your punk/noise request a bit further with Jesus Lizard's David Yow guest spotting on a few tracks. I think he shows up on one of the live albums too, but I can't be sure.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Twiin posted:

Left Spine Down! It's some of the newer FLA dues with some of the Black Halos dudes! Or something.

I saw these guys open for ohGr. They reminded me of Orgy. Also, I think only one of the guys has worked with FLA. They did an excrementable cover of "She's Lost Control." I drank more beer and waited for the set to end.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

deong posted:

Does Orgy belong in here? They are touring again! and will be in Denver Feb 22. I'm excited! But looking at the wiki page, looks like there was an infight and the original lineup broke up. Not sure if I care.

Shite New Order cover. Slightly embarrassing aesthetic. Bland nu-metal bro-rock with a slightly digital edge. All power to you if you like them, but I shall abstain.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I want to make a mix of nothing but industrial sample collages. So far I have:

Greater than One - Now Is the Time
KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Does anyone know any others?

Front 242 - "Welcome to Paradise"

Also, I think you could pull a lot of stuff from the Puppy catalog for this.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

New live album from Skinny Puppy.

+: It's golden age Puppy, with no "Pedafly" or "Pro-Test" to muck up the mix.
-: It's a live album.
+: With Marshall behind the boards, it will probably sound pretty tasty.
-: It's a live album.

multiple e: awesome tagging on my part.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

"Assimilate" live on the In Solvent See tour was pretty loving righteous, so my curiosity is piqued for that alone. I'm happy that it's a lot of solid tracks that are (mostly) not already featured as a live track (not counting boots, although Fractal Zoom is probably the best unofficial early live document).

I'll pick it up but yeah, live albums are never my favorite thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ministry are kinda lame now, even though I am interested in seeing FIX at some point. Anyway, Paul Barker and Ogre did a thing together.

Probably a one off collaboration. The guitars remind me of "classic Ministry" and Ogre sounds like Gary Numan covering a latter era FLA song. Honestly, I only bought it because of Barker's comment about Seasame Street lyrics but some of you might dig it.

edit: I bought the song, not the album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I only recently heard Too Dark Park. Fantastic album.

Wow. I wish I could selectively remove some of my memories so I could hear Too Dark Park again for the first time. That is such a wonderful dark and chaotic record. They did "Morpheus Laughing" on the most recent tour, and it was so unbelievably raw and awesome.

re: machine rock industrial ...

Because they haven't been mentioned per your request yet ..

If you liked the Damage Manual stuff, you might be interested in the Atkins/Ogre collaboration Rx.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6shQ7KdqJvk

And because that album was a natural extension of a bigger project, some of the early Pigface stuff might tickle your fancy. Some of their latter records, feature members of bands already suggested to you (Chemlab).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimB_mkZrS8

yeah, those were two ogre tracks. shoot me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not a fan of "Fascist Jock Itch", or was it just Al in general that turned you off?

Admittedly, I rarely sit through "Spahn Dirge."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I don't get too excited over live albums. I'll probably check it out at some point, if only for "Assimilate" and "Addiction." "Hatekill" was never a huge favorite of mine. Honestly, I'd probably be more interested if a Live DVD was coupled with the release.

Oh well, maybe they'll get around to touring the pretty OK HandOver in the fall.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I saw Left Spine Down open for ohGr on this short list of dates in support of unDeveloped. Do they still do the Joy Division cover, complete with seizure-esque Ian Curtis dancing?

Also, I think they keyboardist was in or has done some work with FLA, so there's that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

e: Misinterpreted, so random content.

Supposedly Puppy was supposed to be announcing a tour for the slightly above mediocre Handover right about now, but that is probably not happening. Especially since Metropolis has already released a live album from the last tour where the gently caress is my limited edition Vinyl?. Random announcement on litany says that they're all back in the studio working on releases from "all the projects" involved ...

So, maybe new Download and platEAU, more Puppy, and who knows ...

the Download and plaTEAU don't excite me that much since the last Vault released from those two were almost indistinguishable from each other. New Tear Garden would be nice if it wasn't a mail order collaboration. As for Puppy ... I'd rather have a live tour at this point. :(

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 10, 2012

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Personally I'd rather a tour as well. The last few releases from Cevin's side projects, while being really good sonically, were kinda repetitive as it seems he's going more for dance-oriented music as opposed to wtf soundscapes and experimental music. The non-vocal tracks on Bananasloth being the best and most groundbreaking.

I enjoyed it more than Mythmaker, but I thought it lacked a certain sense of cohesion maybe? There are some standout tracks, but I just don't find myself returning to it that often. Still, Puppy have always been a fall/winter band for me so maybe I'll give it another listen this weekend.

I was excited about the possibility of hearing some of it live though. I really hope a tour pans out again before they say "gently caress it, we're done." Speaking of live, if any of you lot never bothered to pick up that live album they released you absolutely should.

I'm with you on the Download and platEAU stuff. For me the latter always seemed to be more beat and dance oriented, but the earlier stuff is a little more entertaining than the flat out OONZT OONZT OOZNT of that last album.

I'd love love love to see Key collaborate with some of the Dots again in studio and make another Last Man to Fly. Hell, bring Ogre back and revisit the magic of "You and me and rainbows."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Any new Ogre is good Ogre.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have to side with teethgrinder. I listened to the track that Cat rear end was gushing over and found it tame and pleasant. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't remember what it sounded like thirty minutes later.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'll bite. "Poison" was tolerable when played during .05 beer nights at the "EBM/Industrial" club back in the 90's. "Firestarter" was mildly entertaining the first time I saw the video because it was a right place/right time for Flint. That's where it ends. By the time Fat of the Land happened I never wanted to hear them again. :(

So, it's not a situation where I carry a divine hatred from the band. However, outside of a dark hall with strobes, fog, flashing lights, cheap drinks, and pasty chicks in faded Sisters of Mercy t-shirts I really never have a desire to hear a Prodigy song.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 10, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

There was a noise festival in up in Red Hook a few times I believe, but it was pretty much geared to power noise and performance art mixed in with the underground tape scene. For the most part, the states do not have a festival geared toward an EBM/Industrial/Electro scene. The best one can hope for is to have one of the more mainstream acts show up on a Lollapalooza or SXSW bill. This was more common in the 90's, when a Ministry, God Lives Underwater, or Stabbing Westward might show up on a bill with some other angry bands. However, a full day (or multiple days) of goggles, glowsticks, and leather? Nope.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Those dudes surely love their grey, black and blue tones.

I can only hope this is more cohesive than handover. I enjoyed that record, but it didn't have a lasting impression. Still, it was leaps and bounds better than mythmaker. This is probably not a dynamic effort birthed from the studio, which makes me sort of sad. I fear that this album is the culmination of cEVIN having a bunch of OONZT OONZT OONZT CRASH wobble tracks that didn't really fit in with his downTEAU stuff and so he fired them off to ogre to add some growly stream of consciousness. It will probably look and sound pretty, but will there be any meat?

Hopefully they tour. Even with a lackluster album, live Puppy is always good puppy. Everyone should absolutely check out that last live record they released last year.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 13, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I want to hear about the Skinny Puppy hate.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

A heroin addict protesting the consumption of products that exploit suffering is bloody hilarious. That's all I got.

I think Dwayne was the one that loved the H.

Sure the later LP's didn't quite hold up to Last Rights or Too Dark Park, in terms of an immersive layered sound but really what could have? I give them kudos for trying to evolve a sound and try and replicate a past successful record, even if their evolution at times sounded lazy ("Pro-Test") or just plain obnoxious (<stompy track from Mythmaker) they still did some great live stuff after reuniting. The unreleased Vault stuff they did had some real gems on it, and I can find a few tracks from each of the later albums that I actually enjoy.

Frozen Sky was an awesome song though. Oh, what could have been. Handover is pretty OK. I like it well enough, but it sounds disjointed.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They are the AC/DC of the genre.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

AC/DC will always sound like AC/DC. They do not make any songs that are NOT AC/DC. I am nothing close to resembling even a casual fan of AC/DC, but I can recognize an AC/DC song immediately on the radio and I am 99% certain that every song on an AC/DC record will follow the AC/DC formula. The same can be said "more or less" from KMFDM. Sure, they evolved some from those early "gently caress off art school" records but everything from say post-Adios has been mostly color by numbers.

I was excited and interested in KMFDM in that odd period where peripheral figures would show up on the album. I really dig the Connelly tracks, the Ogre tracks, the "Dogma" spoken word thing. When that stopped, it got boring. Nihil still has some of the best singles they ever did, and I absolutely enjoy stuff from Symbols and Adios but yeah a lot of the late era material is interchangeable for me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

Listening to KMFDM post-WWII is to me like the musical equivalent of going to a whorehouse or having heterosexual sex. I can tell myself that I enjoy it, but I really don't.

The neo-folk show was interesting, I have to say. The band was called "Awen" and are one of those bands that doesn't play around with a kind of plausible deniability about being fascist - they outright say they're against multiculturalism and FOR a society built around Might and the Natural Order. They did this interview online where they played in Germany, and bemoaned that the American "ghetto-style" graffiti was all over the place but the neo-Nazi and anti-Turkish graffiti was getting covered up, so yeah.

My friend and myself sort of knew - conceptually - what we were getting into by going. We have both been interested in far right extremism as a kind of perverse academic curiosity for awhile, and here was a chance to see it in action, not have to pay any money, and not have to travel very far (literally next to a coffeeshop in the smack middle of Austin).

It was still somewhat shocking. The inside of the venue was lit all in red. There were guys, including a local gothic-industrial DJ, walking around in full matching blackshirt regalia. (Like no-joke jackboots and uniforms.) Lots of SS Death's Head patches. There were these men who hadn't shaved in a few days standing around eyeing people while wearing Death in June t-shirts and camouflage. More than anything it was ridiculous and funny. But my friend, a fairly reverent Christian, starting getting really creeped out and began talking like Chef in Apocalypse Now about it being pagan idolatry: evil, Nazi stuff! (He was right about that.)

Holy poo poo and this went down in Austin? Which coffee shop?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEVIN Key's instrumental synth fuckery project Download (not to be confused with his other keyboard fuckery project plateau which is usually centered around weed)) is apparently releasing a new LP.

http://www.metropolis-mailorder.com/product.php?prodnum=MET+873

The project has evolved quite a bit from the early sounds he sculpted in Charlie's Family and The Eyes of Stanley Pain. However, if you're into the OONZT OONZT OONZT cat noise stuff of Helicopter or the recent platEAU records this might be worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

W424 posted:

Or gotten rid of Mark Walk.

Has Walk really done anything that horrible? I like the stuff he does with ohGr solo.