Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Phil Western has the bulk of his discography for sale on bandcamp for $50.

While he's done work on later Puppy records a lot of his output falls more into the Download/PlatEAU of druggy electronic music. I really liked his Frozen Rabbit LP, which was on the ambient/droney side of things. Not for everyone maybe, but still that's 39 albums for $50. Shame the two albums he did with Spybey as Beehatch aren't included.

As an aside, based on a social media post it looks like he's doing this to deal with some real life issues so maybe this helps out a decent artist.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

After seeing the possible new Tear Garden news, I was wondering if anyone has been keeping up on cEvin Key and friends and know if he's put out anything worth giving a listen to lately? I used to grab all the subcon releases but fell off after a while. I'm listening to Effector for the first time in a long bit, and I think it is still one of the greatest electronic albums I've heard. I have no idea how Key gets everything sounding so warm and organic. Well, used to at least. I thought the last few Skinny Puppy albums sounded pretty cold and sterile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QaOhP60QaI

I jumped on that Tear Garden stuff immediately, and am a horrible person for neglecting to post it here when they dropped that information on Facebook. I pre-ordered the new LP and will probably go back for signed vinyl of Have A Nice Trip. It's a great record, but honestly I keep throwing money at them in hope they give Last Man to Fly a nice 180g release.

I don't think Key and company have done much of anything since the last Puppy tour, but I'm sure Key could pull a platEAU and Download record out of his stoner rear end when he needs more weed money but nothing definite.

Effector is probably my favorite LP from that side project, although FiXeR wasn't terrible if you haven't heard that one. It was on the second vault release I think? He released LingAM in 2013 under the Download name, and it was ... pretty OK.
Download - Blotch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npgxh8UI15M

Key also did a platEAU release under the last From the Vault set. GORT Spacebar was pretty neat, but honestly it's hard to tell where that sound ends and the stuff he did on Download's Helicopter begins in my opinion.
platEAU - GORT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4tIgt4HWXE

There were a couple "dub" releases with Twilight Circus that were pretty OK if you're into the dubby :420: sound.
Dubcon - First Contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ0n6loY9kc

Ogre has never been super active on social media. He shows up at horror cons and is probably appearing in some straight to streaming-DVD films, but nothing but rumors about new solo material.

Phil Western put all of his stuff up on Bandcamp recently for $50, but that price has since gone up since.

I'd love to see more Skinny Puppy releases, but I wonder if those two are even into it as much now. I liked Weapon but I totally get the cold and sterile vibe. After GWOTR their albums have increasingly given me the idea of an email collaboration. I think those two tolerate each other from a "We're going to work together and make this thing" perspective, but I'm not sure they enjoy working with each other. After the last live show I saw (their second tour with just them and Youth Code) I don't know if I /[need]/ to see them again unless it's something batshit nostalgic like "We're gonna do Too Dark Park and Last Rights front to back" because the setlist from the last show pretty much killed it.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 3, 2016

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They are not as organic as Last Man to Fly or Tired Eyes Slowly Burning for sure. I enjoy them for sure, but they definitely have more of an long distance collaboration feel. Both of them are way more electronic oriented than the early material, which makes sense as they were part of the From the Vault series.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Fook is so solid.

Word! It's such an amazing thing and it pretty much blew the mind of early 20's me. Easily my favorite studio LP from them, and it's not just because I'm biased toward Ogre and Connelly, for which I think their best output in that project is on this record. "I Can Do No Wrong" is killer, and that dark magic of Atkins drums plus Ogre doing his thing on "Insemination" is godly. Seeing Esch and Ogre sing "Go" on that tour whilst on some illicit substances is one of my favorite blurry memories.

Also. Lesley. loving. Rankine.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A local here in Houston has Ape of Naples, Astral Disasters, Horse Rotovator and Backwards on vinyl. Last time I was in, I snagged Love's Secret Domain (everyone's obvious choice) and it's super duper tasty. I need to go back and grab those other LPs when I'm willing to either destroy a credit card or have cash to burn.

True Confession: My first exposure to COIL was the LSD in CD format. Now pretty much listening to the vinyl version, I enjoy the condense track listing more. Although, I do wonder sometimes what's it like in Ohio.

It's probably been posted before, but Recoiled has some pretty nice unreleased NIN remixes. I'm guessing these were tracks not used for Fixed. Worth hearing, and sometimes you can find it on vinyl.

I had a playlist of Recoiled, some Puppy, Doubting Thomas, Charlie's Family, obligatory Misfits and some other tasty selections while handing out candy for a neighborhood party on Saturday. The COIL stuff worked out well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Do you mean like

5 Dead When I Found Her - Kill to Cure

Holy Obscure Track! He went for the deep dive on that one.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Have any of you heard much/seen Spit Mask? They're playing a gig over here next year and seem to be a very Youth Code-esque American industrial band, influenced by the same sort of things as YC.

Yes! I caught some of their set at Day for Night a few weeks ago. If you are in to Youth Code and that raw "early 80's" sound, then they are definitely worth checking out.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

Skinny Puppy is coming to Finland in June and I'm flipping out, guys

You guys are in for a treat! The set list for the American dates was sublime. Hands down the best show I've seen from them post-reformation.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I typically just throw a band into Pandora and then add one or two more for flavor. Curate it with some "thumbs down" and it will work out OK, depending on taste.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I toss Youth Code into my playlist when I hit the Y. They totally work for cardio. So angry.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Has anyone seen the recent incarnation(s) of KMFDM? I haven't seen them play live since the NIHIL tour, and really haven't cared much for their albums after the one that had "Last Things" on it. They're launching a tour with OhGr on the bill, so the Ogre/Puppy fanboi in me is already pushing the money toward that noise. Pretty sure KFMDM is the headliner. Normally, I wouldn't bother but since Ogre is touring I'm hoping to at least suffer through the set in the hopes of getting "Torture", "Full Worm Garden" or, "That's All" out of them.

Do they still pull out old classics? Maybe I get some "Godlike", "More and Faster", or "Go to Hell."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Remember the early 90's when Ministry were at the top of their game and that legendary tour for The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste was a who's who of B-Sides (I miss that magazine) artists and features? Remember how In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up had a phenomenal live version of "So What?" and a cathartic "Stigmata" but yet it was only six tracks and felt like a cheat? Especially when the VHS included the opener "Breathe" plus that really neat "Pledge of Allegiance/Land of Rape and Honey" closer?

Well YOU are mostly in luck because those guys released a live album from a 1990 show, that's a hefty fourteen tracks including the Skinny Puppy cover, PIL cover, and a lot of Biafra. Sadly, I don't think the Pledge made it to this recording but still it sounds pretty nice. As I understand it, they took out a lot of the overdubs that were added to the live EP and so the vocals are more prominent?

https://ministryband.bandcamp.com/album/live-necronomicon

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So for the Houston date of that KMFDM/ohGr tour, which I was going to attend but mainly just to see ohGr, they added Mastodon?! Full disclosure: I have no problem with and actively like their brand of southern flavored stoner/prog rock. However, that's a supremely WEIRD mishmash. I guess I should thank the ill-fated Open Air festival (two day metal festival that was slated for the same weekend) for cancelling due to Harvey, because that's the only reason Mastodon is on this bill. Still, that makes for some weird "you got your chocolate in my peanut butter" pairings. I'm still going, but drat it sucks that I have to suffer through late-era KMFDM before I can switch gears to hesher. Oh well, I'm still hoping Sascha throws us a bone and lets Ogre do "Torture" or "Full Worm Garden" with them.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Neat! It showed up on Microsoft Groove as well. I can't stream it, but I can definitely purchase it.

Time Machines was the super droney ambient thing right?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ogre is super down to earth and an extremely likable guy. Cevin is pretty cool too as I understand, although it's rumored he can be a complete dick. Probably best to bait him with quality weed.

Also, Youth Code were super nice.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I think Ain't It Dead Yet? is slightly superior to Doomsday mainly because of the "classic" aspect. Also I think it has more cohesion. Bootlegged, Broke, and In Solvent Seas is also worth hearing if you are craving that live Puppy fix.

More in line with the Ministry live stuff, but the two official Pigface live releases (Atkins eventually released a slew of others) Welcome to Mexico rear end in a top hat and Truth Will Out are kind of fun. The latter has a bit more cohesion and some tape sample fuckery, plus Gen and non Lesley Rankine adding female vox. WtMA has the classic "Ministry backing band lineup" with Connelly and Ogre featured heavily. The punk rear end metal "TFWO" cover on WtMA is neat.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Looks like ogre is finally getting around to releasing that new ohGr record he's been sourcing for what seems like a year or more. I believe the album is dropping extremely soon and he announced a tour with Lead Into Gold.

Soo ... there's that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I haven't been on litany in a minute. Facebook gave that scene a pre-mature burial I thought, but I suppose there are a few live and kicking. Why are they irritated? It did take longer than expected, I believe. Original target date was something like October 2017, and here we are in June 2018 and just now getting digital copies.

Still, it's new material and a headlining tour. Why be so entitled Litany? You were better than this.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah. I'm torn. Really wanted to wait until the vinyl showed up for a proper listen, but I caved and grabbed the .FLAC. So much fat synth. Walk did some good work on this one.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I like most of his solo output, with SunnyPsyOp being the one I listen to the least. The new record is SUPER synth heavy and manic. I can dig it. Live, he puts on a solid show if you go in with an open mind and don't expect him to do creepy shadow puppetry while grumbling "ANGER."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 17, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Skinny Puppy is releasing Back And Forth 8 on bandcamp. It's all super old poo poo, I was hoping any potential BF8 would be outtakes from albums after the Process but you get what you get I guess.

I don't know man, I read the fine print on that and am much less enthused. It looks to be Brap and Forth 8, probably because Key wanted to avoid any nastiness in calling it an extension of a Puppy project. The bandcamp descriptions indicate that it's pre-Back and Forth, which I believe was the early first ep/demo release prior to Remission? This release has maybe a handful of bleeb, I think a lot of it is just Key loving around with some synths in his apartment/studio while blazed. Might be fun in the "oh hey, that sounds like the skeletal framework for 'Icebreaker'" sense, but smacks of cash grab. I'd kickstart new bleepity bloop Download/platEAU material in a heartbeat, but this is only minorly interesting in for me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Has anyone caught Ministry on this new tour? I've seen them enough to not care in 2018, but my buddy hit me up and wanted to know if we should take his 13 year old son to the show. I took a glance at the set list, and it looks like their doing the new album and then a set of what everyone REALLY wants to hear. House of Rules has balcony, so I'm kinda into it. Plus, little dude will likely have the bejeezus scared out of him and simultaneously have the urge to fight the world and I'm all about doing proper Dad Rock duty. Should be a fun time, even with $12 PBR. Anyone got a trip report?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've seen him in his prime so I am ok. This is more "Boy's First Metal Show."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Per Cevin Key's social media, Phillip Western died. At least the Download record that was slated to drop next month is likely complete, but this probably destroys any chance of a tour.

No official cause of death has been revealed yet.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not going to lie. 16 year old me bopping around in my lame rear end late 70's Malibu never let Pretty Hate Machine leave the car. Cringey wankfests like "Something I Can Never Have" was totally speaking to my teen angst. When I hit college, started playing with :drugnerd: and crawling into romantic lit holes, the dark and edgy stuff from TDS was infinitely quotable.

A lot of it doesn't play well today for sure. Hard to buy into the misery when he's touring a light show that cost a small fortune. Still, I think those classic cuts channel well to a live arena. He can write a dope rear end hook, and at that point you have no choice to but scream along with the crowd chanting "FIST gently caress."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Biomute posted:

edit: also, what was with the caked in mud / dreadlock thing NIN and Skinny Puppy did for a year or two? Was that like taking Grunge to the next level or something?

NIN were caked in mud for Woodstock, but if I remember correctly that was just happenstance during the set. I'm not sure if it was ever a "look" for them corresponding with an era. Everyone remembers that set though. They were on that Self-Destruct tour. Hungry, raw, and going for it. Being caked in random goo/stage blood was pretty much Puppy's stage show in their classic era. As for the dreads, I got nothing. Key has long hair, likes dub, and loves the weed.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Set list looks pretty fierce …

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nitzer-ebb/2019/societe-des-arts-technologiques-sat-montreal-qc-canada-1b90ddc8.html

Not sure how the lack of extra percussionist would affect it. Is it just Doug and Bon?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

To anyone that has caught the Nitzer Ebb show on this tour, what was the merch table like?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Like when a band's music is made with sequencers I'm not sure what you're looking for. Some kind of elaborate and expensive stage production?

Stilts, body horror, and lots of make up?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I'm genuinely more excited for this than new Skinny Puppy.

I can appreciate that. He seems way more honest and passionate about his solo work than the stuff he does with Key these days, even if Puppy is more likely to fill rooms. OhGr is a fairly realized band and pretty on point live.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 27, 2019

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Whispering Machines posted:

I didn't really get the hype about OhGr, then I saw them live last fall and was blown away. I dunno, it was just a super fun and energetic show. And he did it with a broken jaw and I think recovering from a concussion as well!

That speaks a lot to his live game. I hope you get the chance to see that band when they are all 100% and he's not dealing with a broken jaw and likely a weird headspace from getting jumped.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Set phasers to scoff?

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-33-best-industrial-albums-of-all-time/?page=1

I was honestly surprised at some of the selections. I never for a minute expected to see Fook on this list. The unabashed fan boy in me would have preferred to see Too Dark Park higher, but it is what it is and I'm cool with what they pegged as Number One. Hint: It is neither a Nine Inch Nails NOR a Ministry LP.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How are you lot going to hype on vivisectVI and Too Dark Park but straight up ignore Last Rights?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

boo_radley posted:

So there's a legendary pink dots show in Denver tonight! I had no idea it was fancy dress and I'm here holding my dick in my hand amongst the picts and the flappers wearing my band t shirt and combat boots.

This is the oldest a goth can feel, to feel this way

E: he is wearing a dressing gown, silk scarf, and is barefoot on stage. This makes total sense to me.

I was quite excited that this recent tour scored me a copy of Crushed Velvet Apocalypse on vinyl AAAND I got to here "New Tomorrow" live. All in all, a really good dots experience.

He's had that outfit on for the past several tours I've seen.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEVIN Key and Twilight Circus (ex-LPD guy) did couple of albums as dubcon. It is very much NOT aggressive, and likely just an excuse for Key to smoke obscene amounts of weed and gently caress around in the studio for a project that is not platEAU. It's … ok. Still, industrial adjacent (more like down the block, turn left, go through three lights and it's the second bodega on the left).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

On Sunday I'm seeing Martin Atkins, Mary Byker, Lesley Rankine, Curse Mackey, En Esch, Dirk Flanigan, Bobdog Caitlin, Bradley Bills, Greta Brinkman, Charles Levi, and Orville Kline.

I think my ONE live experience with that project was Atkins, Rankine, Esch, Ogre, and maybe Tucker or Raven? There was DEFINITLEY no Connelly or Mary Byker. I was super excited because this was my first time to see Ogre live in the flesh, having missed the boat on the Puppy tours (bad timing, since that wouldn't happen again for what over a loving decade?) It was the FOOK tour, and an early one at that. It's all a blur now. Thanks :catdrugs:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Mary Byker was just a fantastic fill-in for Clint Mansell in PWEI. I'll be pleased to see Leslie Rankine too ... I keep having to miss Ruby when they play in Toronto. I originally knew her from Therapy? actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8b3MOtw-4E

I love how loving 90s that video is.

I had no idea she collaborated with them. Troublegum stayed in my car stereo from 94-98 I reckon, and I never realized that was her on "Lunacy Booth."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Um. Don't loving miss Pigface.

good set list?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm in because it's loving Mind …. If it's a set full of killer and no filler (I.e, post Psalm 69 Ministry) then even BETTER! I could give a gently caress about FLA in 2020 but maybe they play some tracks off of TNI. I caught some of KFMDM set on whatever recent tour had ohGr opening and it was definitely KMFDM. If all THREE of those acts were doing the nostalgia thing, then it could make for a fun evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Key probably likes to keep those positive vibes flowing considering his musical buddies tend to OD.