Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

hatelull posted:

And this is the problem with genre definitions, unless you were taking the piss. A lot of this thread talks about stuff like Covenant, VNV Nation, mind.in.a.box and a bunch of other synthy euro stuff that (to me) sounds like updated Depeche Mode remixed by edgy trance artists. Yeah, you can trace it back to what 242 was doing on their classic Wax Trax albums but still it's a huge leap.

Lately I've just taken to calling this genre "Metropolis" (Metropolis Records has signed most of my favorite bands, and they all fall into that category of 'synthy industrial dance' describe above)

If anyone has a better name for this subgenre (or hell, a better thread 'round here), please let me know. I love finding new bands along this vein. In the last year or so I've been playing the poo poo out of the Seabound and Edge of Dawn discogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I found out this weekend that Acretongue had recently released an album, Strange Cargo. Solid stuff if you're a fan of some of the less-hard stuff like Seabound/Edge of Dawn. Dependent Records released it back in November, and we'll see it in America released by Metropolis in mid-Jan.

It's neat to see a full album by them; I've always enjoyed their remixes.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I have come to the realization that liking Blutengel is nothing to be ashamed of very simply because Blutengel owns. I might actually have to get the box edition of Monument, it sounds so good.

Yeah, wow, holy poo poo. I'm listening to Monument right now, and it seems 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for releases of poo poo I Love.

I just got off of a about a 5x repeat of the new Mesh single and then moved on to this, and it's almost like Mesh and Blutengel were hanging out together while writing their new stuff, because the transition from pumping beat to pumping beat was nearly seamless. More more more.

(I'm really excited about the new Mesh and Informatik albums this month.)

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

DeusExMachinima posted:

is anyone else getting Ashbury Heights vibes off of it?

Yes!
I've been listening to a ton of them lately as well. I like the direction Blutengel has taken. A lot less spooky and more danceable.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Is this the place where we can gush over the new Mesh album "Automation Baby"? Anyone? It's been out in Europe for a few weeks but isn't officially released in USA til April 9th, but you can buy a digital copy if you want, or import it. I guess Mesh is a bit more synthpop than Industrial Dance, but... but... Metropolis/Dependent. :cry:

I ordered an import copy of the LE and it finally showed up on Thursday. As predicted, I have found the next CD that will play on repeat in my car for months. It's the first new release from any band that blows just about all of their previous stuff out of the water. The few reviews of it I've found online have been glowing.

Official video for "Born to Lie"
Neat 'pre-release' video for "You Couldn't See This Coming"

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

teethgrinder posted:

Just noticed that Dependence 2013 apparently came out August 30 ... with new Seabound on it. I don't see it for sale anywhere but their own store though, and not on Rdio.

According to Dependent's Facebook page, it was delayed by 2 weeks. Official release date was Sept 13th.

So, I continue to wait for the great overseas carrier pigeon to deliver mine. I will be popping it into my car audio deck where it will remain for the next 6 months, overthrowing Mesh's Automation Baby that's been in there for the previous 6. (not even close to tired of it yet, either.)

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know all the song names yet, but it's grown on me significantly with each listen. T+A=$$$ is enjoyable for sure though.

----

Dependence 2013 is on Rdio at today, finally. Waaaaaay down on the new releases section. I think they filter toward the top the more people listen to them.

1. Ghost & Writer - Never Take Fire (Secret Mix)

The overseas carrier pigeon delivered mine a bit over a week ago, and drat, that's a fine title track. I'm constantly reminded how badly I need to get the woofers in my backseat fixed, because when the bass kicks in, woosh. I'm glad we got two Spinath tracks on this. The Mesh contribution is extremely disappointing. I've already got this on the Automation Baby LE and it's one I usually skip.

I'm also constantly tempted to start the CD over all the time, and am usually skipping over the last song. I'm not really a fan of The Cure-sounding stuff. It's too organic for my robot electronic taste.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Got the new VNV album and it's pretty good. After a first listen, it's not as good as Automatic, but I like it a lot more than Matter+Form, Judgement or Of Faith, Power & Glory.

I listened through it 2-3 times, and I can't remember a single track. It's not awful, there's just nothing on the album that seems to define it. It feels all over the place, elements of previous albums everywhere. The latest Covenant album felt a bit the same way.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

teethgrinder posted:

http://www.dependent.de/index.php?lan=de&area=releases&id=215

There are limited and regular editions too. Due February 14. I can't believe it's been seven years since Double-Crosser.

Ordered the Tempest Edition this morning. Hopefully Music Non-Stop can get stock. I'm really digging the album art. Heh, it has the same palette as my avatar.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I am not quite sure what it is about this year and 80s bands giving their poo poo another go (Gary Numan's new album comes to mind) but Information Society also looks to be on this list. This is shaping up to be a magnificent reboot. (reboot? I guess. I liked Synthesizer, but I like Christopher Anton.)

https://soundcloud.com/information-society/hello-world-supercut
http://reybee.com/insoc/614/

_hello world releases Sept 23rd.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
How dare you not bold Solar Fake.

Oh man I didn't even see they just released a new album. :derp:

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I absolutely can't stand Sven Friedrich's other band Zeraphine

Well, nevermind. :downs:
I'm the guy who's in this thread because there isn't a Futurepop/EBM thread. Personally, I saw the video for "More than This" and was hooked and proceeded to devour their entire discog.

I am a bit terrified to hear what they sound like live though. Usually the more heavily post-processed an album is, the more I'm going to like it.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

divabot posted:

Somehow, in years of hearing their name around, I missed actually hearing anything by Mesh. I've had "Just Leave Us Alone" (2013) on loop for two days. OH MY GOD they lay the angst on thick. This should be the soundtrack to teenage heartbreak. The new single "Kill Your Darlings" isn't quite as good, but then, what is.

Oh good, someone else likes Mesh. I am usually hestitant to bring them up around here lest I get yawned at.
I've had Automation Baby in my car CD player off and on since its release and it's been on loop nonstop as I wait for their new album. I've preordered the super duper limited edition and I hope it makes it to the USA without any fuss.

I think someone commented on their facebook once, regarding some of Mark's lyrics: "Oh you poor baby, what did she DO to you?" because some of the themes and phrases, yikes.

The songwriting is superb though. Despite being a bit generic, it's like each of their songs came out of a group who went specifically to "how to write an amazing melodic song" school and aced all the final exams.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Livestream of Mera Luna - http://www.ndr.de/unterhaltung/events/mera_luna/Mera-Luna-Das-Festival-im-Videostream,meraluna1010.html

Sad I missed Mesh but hopefully they put the video up soon.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
edit: Yo, holy gently caress, happy Decade to this drat thread as of a few days ago. Ten years. :woop:

The new Solar Fake album is phenomenal. I enjoy their formula, so seeing that their new stuff isn't trying to reinvent anything and is just more of the same... makes me very happy.

Sven writes lyrics that I can apply to a lot of poo poo, and my nerd-rear end brain sometimes subsists solely on metaphor for months at a time. It indulges in a different buffet every time I look up lyrics for a song.

I couldn't stand it while I was going through a mini-breakup, but now that I've got my head in the clouds most of the day writing self-indulgent fiction about two folk in a toxic codependent relationship, it's a loving panacea.

The acoustic recordings are amazing as well. I spent way too long trying to find a name for that gravelly voice crack thing. I like it a lot.

xov fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Kamrat posted:

Yeah, you can always count on Solar Fake to never change, well they've changed a little bit but not in ways that matter.

What gravelly voice crack thing do you mean?

I dunno, just the breathy... often tenuous quality of his voice on their softer stuff, like he's constantly falling apart, and it digs claws into my soul in a good way. Being a fan of futurepop and the like, I usually gravitate toward hyper-quantized pitch-perfect autotuned-to-gently caress stuff, but Mr. Sven is an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qYXP11-j4

Can't get enough of this.