Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

It would be fantastic, but I anticipate them and the Forkrul Assail not really being included. Some of the main series quotes make it sound like they already did their thing and went away before the Tiste were around (plus Erikson hasn't really been keen on expanding the scope of Kharkanas).

I'm looking forward to the stuff about Eleint and T'iam, and how a whole pile of characters on multiple sides become soletaken dragons. Maybe up to and including the creation of the Malazan world and the warrens.

On the other hand, MT starts with Scarabandaris and Silchas fighting versus the Che Malle for which there should be reasons. There are also mentions of the Che Malle in FoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Hit a wall in the start of Toll the Hounds, similar to how I tossed Midnight Tides wayward for a few months because of the first few hundred rambling pages.

A few weeks (a month+?) ago an acquaintance said she was already reading the same book and stuck in the middle because Clip was so insufferable as a character. So I have that to look forward to once I get past this hump of establishing the new state of the world.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I had a similar experience The Bonehunters but dropped it for like almost a year before finishing it. I think the siege Y ghatan the beginning was good but I didn't really like the bonehunters journey out of the depths even though they tried to make it interesting. Karsa and Icarium are my favorite characters, their arcs were also shight in that book.

As someone who is up to Reapers Gale, my ranking order would be Midnight Tides > House of Chains > Deadhouse Gates > Memories of Ice > Gardens of The Moon > Bonehunters. It's funny cause I loved the beginning of Bonehunters and hated that of Midnight Tides but as you read them the quality of their stories went in opposite direction from their starts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Hit a wall in the start of Toll the Hounds, similar to how I tossed Midnight Tides wayward for a few months because of the first few hundred rambling pages.

Toll the Hounds is by far the worst book In the series.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just finished Esselmonts trilogy, Path to Ascendancy. Dancers Lament, Deadhouse Landing, and Kellanveds Reach.

That was uhh... sure was something. Esselmont did pretty well with one of his past books (Jakarta maybe?) but these were just fanfic.

It reminded me of the Drizz't novels I used to read when I was a kid. Just very light fluff, unstoppable plot armor, and no real depth of characters or plot.

Am I alone?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nah. I think the only ICE book I liked was Stonewielder and even that was just aping Erikson at its best.

It's funny because IIRC he was the one who played him in the RPG campaigns but ICE just doesn't write a good Kellanved.

e:

Alhazred posted:

Yeah. The Andii parts get a lot more interesting once you've read the Kharkanas books, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

but ICE just doesn't write a good Kellanved.

Yeah, ICE goes for 'wacky, bumbling Kellanved'.
Erikson goes for 'crazy uncle Kellanved'. Similar, but Erikson's take leaves room for Kellanved to be outright sadistic as well as somewhat compassionate at times.

That said, the Path to Ascendancy books are about Dancer more than Kellanved. That doesn't excuse the fact that basically no relationship-building actually happens within the books - I don't think there's a single point in the three books that shows me why Dancer would actually consider Kellanved a friend.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
After reading the series again, my opinion of Bonehunters went up. However Toll the Hounds is still the bottom, despite enjoying the Kharkanas series so far.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Alhazred posted:

It is much much better on a re-read, when you know what the book is trying to do and why it is the way it is.

The andii kids parts still drag though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

vmdvr posted:

It is much much better on a re-read, when you know what the book is trying to do and why it is the way it is.

The andii kids parts still drag though.

Can't remember when this spoiler happens,I think it's after Toll, but also much easier when you know Clip is gonna get hosed on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hand Row posted:

After reading the series again, my opinion of Bonehunters went up. However Toll the Hounds is still the bottom, despite enjoying the Kharkanas series so far.

Maybe that will happen to me if I reread the series but as of now it is my least favorite although I haven't read Toll The Hounds yet.

I really liked the contrast of the full Lethierii capitalism and the more traditional hunterer/gatherer tribe society of the Edur in Midnight Tides. But Erikson did something brilliant. In Midnight Tides, Erikson should how different they are and they were opposing forces. Now to see the two cultures mesh together in Reaper's Gale is fascinating. Were they so different after all? Some of just the conversations between Edur overseers and Letherii generals is so fascinating. Also I just got to the part where Toc is back and I totally forgot what was the deal with him. I knew he had some deal with the wolf god in Memories of Ice and he was traveling with Lady Envy I think.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Toll the Hounds is probably the worst book overall, but I really love the ending of it. All the little deaths caused by Hood manifesting. Spinnock Durav holding back Kallor at the Crossroads and the whole “Do you curse me, High King?“ thing. Endest Silann holding back the Dying God by sheer willpower. Rake killing Hood and being slain in turn by Dassem Ultor. Seerdomin’s stand in front of the Redeemer. Pretty much everything in the back 20% of the book is great, so it’s a shame the rest of it is so slow.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok just got to the part in Reaper's Gale where the champions have arrived to port. Icarium's entrance is so loving cool. There is a earthquake the moment he steps on ground. Meanwhile Karsa's first words upon landing is that he will burn the city and kill it's gods. I love these guys.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Khizan posted:

Toll the Hounds is probably the worst book overall, but I really love the ending of it. All the little deaths caused by Hood manifesting. Spinnock Durav holding back Kallor at the Crossroads and the whole “Do you curse me, High King?“ thing. Endest Silann holding back the Dying God by sheer willpower. Rake killing Hood and being slain in turn by Dassem Ultor. Seerdomin’s stand in front of the Redeemer. Pretty much everything in the back 20% of the book is great, so it’s a shame the rest of it is so slow.

The little deaths are one of my favorite things in the entire series. They remind if a similar passage in "The Stand" by Stephen King

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, ICE goes for 'wacky, bumbling Kellanved'.
Erikson goes for 'crazy uncle Kellanved'. Similar, but Erikson's take leaves room for Kellanved to be outright sadistic as well as somewhat compassionate at times.

That said, the Path to Ascendancy books are about Dancer more than Kellanved. That doesn't excuse the fact that basically no relationship-building actually happens within the books - I don't think there's a single point in the three books that shows me why Dancer would actually consider Kellanved a friend.

I never picked up that Dancer and Kellanved were supposed to be friends. Seems like they were initially allies of convenience, and that worked out for them, so they stuck with it despite not being 'friends'.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
You're missing out on some pretty good writing if you're not following Erikson on Facebook.

From a post today

quote:

Confessions from the Golden Age
Steven Erikson

It was the morning after. The three guys on the crew sat around the firepit, nursing monstrous hangovers. It was the last day of the project and we were about to pile into the van for the return to Winnipeg. Those three guys were Kelly, Laury, and me. The local farmer’s strange little dog, Sport, was hanging around, suddenly our best friend ever. Another crew member, Candis, came by to drop a bag of garbage onto the fire. We sat watching it burn.
The morning of the day before, we three were told by our dig director that our task was to backfill a whole season’s worth of pits, while the women on the crew, herself included, would clean the kitchen.

At lunch back in the camp, Laury went straight to his tent and returned to the dining table carrying a bottle of rye. To the shock of everyone, me, Kelly and Laury all started drinking, because we were not happy at this division of labour, not happy at all. That afternoon, we finished the gruelling task, rather haphazardly I’ll admit. Shovels and wheelbarrows for hours on end. We returned to camp covered in dirt and sweat and resumed drinking.

My memories from that point on get vague. There was more rye, there was beer, there was tequila. I think the women on the crew looked on in growing alarm.

At some point, late in the night, at least two of us were in the field behind the tents, somewhere between those tents and the outhouse. Heaving our guts out. I do recall the attendance of Cathy and Kathleen, crouching over my supine form, Cathy offering me soda crackers. Oh, and the dog, Sport, merrily moving from one heap of vomit to the next, lapping away.

Wing back a few days. This was our second season at the Swan River Site. That site was just off a gravel road, on either side, in mixed deciduous/boreal forest. We were mostly digging through peat. I don’t recall our artifact haul to be very impressive, and this after two full seasons. The two seasons at the Swan River Site were, for most of the crew, our second and third seasons as excavators. We’d all done one of two seasons doing the Field School at Fort Dauphin before that.
Having completed our pits early, me and Kelly were sent deeper into the woods to do some test-pitting. Typically, we hit a frigging treasure-trove of artifacts. The first shovelful lifted into view two projectile points. It was clear, after a few more test-pits, that we’d been missing the centre of the prehistoric site for two full seasons. Lesson to the director: test-pit before you start digging and let those test-pits determine where to dig.

Incidentally, I am informed that the entire area is now unrecognizable. The sites are built over. Even the stream behind the farm is gone, as is the farm itself, and all the ploughed fields we walked further back from the farm, that were full of lithics, are also gone.

Needless to say, our morale was somewhat low, and things weren’t helped at all by three men left to backfill while five women cleaned pots in the kitchen.

The morning after the blow-out, me, Kelly and Laury did not participate in packing up the camp. gently caress that. How rough was that night, way back in 1980? To this day, Kelly doesn’t drink alcohol. And I never mix drinks and have never gotten that plastered since. As for Laury, who knows? He was a tough bastard and I suspect that not much changed. I also think he stuck to his rye. Smart man.

So we sat around the fire, Sport circling us with little tail wagging in hopeful fits.

There was a sudden, sharp pop from the fire. I looked up in time to see an aerosol can fire like a rocket from the flames. Striking Laury’s forehead dead-on. In seeming slow motion, he toppled straight back from the log he was sitting on. And then, lying on his back on the other side, he began swearing and cursing Candis in a steady, hungover, lifeless stream of invective.

Those were the days, weren’t they?

People occasionally ask how I managed to capture the military life in the Malazan novels, the dark humour, the insipid absurdity of things, life on the march or in the wilds. Well, it was digs and surveys, of course. It was crews, it was digging in the wrong place for two whole seasons (shall I even mention a later dig, with the same director, where we spent an entire season digging on the wrong side of Child’s Lake?). It was tents and campfires and communal meals, ticks and mosquitoes and bears and skunks and a dog improbably-but-perfectly named Sport. It was my season of Ant Wars at Swan River wherein I pitted various species of ant in fight-to-the-death matches inside a plastic pill vial (think scorpions and wagers).*

[* ‘Wedgehead the Magnificent’ was the reigning champion, a soldier ant with a huge triangular head and deadly mandibles that chopped through other ants effortlessly, though it eventually succumbed to six tiny red ants. Would I be so cruel these days? No, not at all. Except when it comes to ticks. Those bastards must all die.]

We authors must mine our pasts. Twist them into new things but holding onto their flavour no matter what. Over and over again, year after year, we walk back along old paths, sifting through memories, knee-deep in worthless backfill, eyes scanning for that one perfect artifact of experience. Then we work it and work it.

You know, I can still hear – deep in the recesses of my skull – that perfect pop from the aerosol can. And I can still see – in the van as we all headed back to Winnipeg later that day – that red, circular impression, there on Laury’s forehead, right above his blood-shot eyes, as he lights up yet another cigarette.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, that is pretty good :sun:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Check out this copy of gardens someone had custom printed: http://curiousking.co.uk/2020/09/20/first-project/?fbclid=IwAR1e-_8Bp2OdB09gYrrjZ0wbRIYVVx_ZpEgQRAbx32nQICSK0vRKbxk0_xE

Remade the layout himself, commissioned art, had it printed and bound. Crazy!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That hound is way too loving small

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Check out this copy of gardens someone had custom printed: http://curiousking.co.uk/2020/09/20/first-project/?fbclid=IwAR1e-_8Bp2OdB09gYrrjZ0wbRIYVVx_ZpEgQRAbx32nQICSK0vRKbxk0_xE

Remade the layout himself, commissioned art, had it printed and bound. Crazy!

:black101: That is badass

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Sign me up for one. Those are really cool and elegant looking.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Two or three days ago I finally read the last few pages of Toll the Hounds. As I've said a few times now to friends, I'm still not sure the final jampacked ~200 pages were justified by the preceding ~1000 pages, but in the end, the book was definitely a book that I mostly (51%+) enjoyed. Also was glad that characters swore a lot instead of "[Main cast character] quietly cursed under their breath."

Tried immediately diving into Dust of Dreams, but the prologue NPC is such a Debbie Downer that I think I made it 20 pages in before deciding to try again the next day.

Also the amount of living, undead, and rebirthed characters is now so large that I want a roster sheet with physical description notes and previous jobs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Andrigaar posted:

Also the amount of living, undead, and rebirthed characters is now so large that I want a roster sheet with physical description notes and previous jobs.

The wiki has all of that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

anilEhilated posted:

The Liosan play a big part in the final two books. L'oric I don't remember being mentioned again. Osric shows up a couple times in ICE books but it's never very interesting.

Trip report: I am almost finished re-reading Bonehunters and L'oric does show up again, but only to begrudgingly assist Leoman escape the burning city, then to survey the aftermath of the attack on Cutter & co., lecture Scillara about motherhood, collect his pet demon then leave.

Bonehunters is a weird novel. Outside of the (absolutely incredible imo) burning and escape from Y'ghatan the first 3/4ths feels like everyone is just on some half-assed sidequest. Karsa fights a random demon. Quick Ben and Khalam find a bunch of sky keeps, shrug and leave. Mappo and Icarium also dick around with a sky keep. Iskaral Pust just dicks around. They position Dejim Nebrahl as this huge, serious threat but he basically feels like a retread of the Jheck's soletaken god at the end of Midnight Tides which was also basically six cat monsters (and gets dispatched pretty handily in a similar way despite the larger buildup). Afterwards, the next 1/4th abruptly shifts to bridging the gap and getting all of our Seven Cities friends and putting them on a collision course with the Tiste Edur.

It's probably the first novel in my reread that feels front-loaded with filler.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, a lot of that filler is foreshadowing - the sky keeps tell you that K'Chain Che'Malle are still around and will be back in force for books 9 and 10, and IIRC the random demon Karsa fights is actually one of them?
There's some pretty important stuff for the world at large Paran kills a goddess, but I agree that very few things about that book feel climactic or satisfying; I'd say it has too many plot threads at once, presumably because SE wanted to close as many of them as possible before moving everyone to Lether.
The inglorious deaths of ancient, powerful beings are definitely something of a theme in the series - world progressing and leaving them behind, see also Silchas Ruin eating a cusser.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah. If anything the sky keeps and K'Chain Nah'ruk inside them don't get enough attention.
You'd have to be annotating the gently caress out of the book to really hone in on that Jaghut woman getting killed as an important moment, and to link that to the Nah'ruk that Karsa kills.

The thing about Dejim Nebrahl is that it reinforces a point that comes up frequently in the books, almost without commentary: what was badass several hundred (thousand) years ago is not necessarily badass now. See also: Karsa going to town on the Deragoth.

If I have a complaint with the book it's that there are quite a lot of bits that are written for the sake of convenience. The finale works best if it's Kalam vs The Claws, but that means Quick Ben can't get involved, so how do we get Quick Ben away from it - well, how about if he's yanked away by Shadowthrone, but why would Quick Ben agree to do what Shadowthrone wants, well let's put his hitherto-unmentioned sister into a massive spot of trouble that only he can get her out of so he has to ask for Shadowthrone's help (rather than Hood, who he's got this agreement with, because I guess this whole thing has been written for convenience).
Also, Kalam's heroics look like pissing into the wind given that Apsalar slaughters like 300 Claws on her own. And why was she there? Convenience :shrug:

There's also, squinting pretty hard, an early clue that [late series spoiler]Tavore is working with Shadowthrone/Cotillion, when she knows to send Bottle after Withal. Only 5 people were on Drift Avalii when/just before Nimander's loser gang left (to track them): Traveller isn't the sort to spread gossip and neither is Apsalar while Cutter doesn't run into Tavore. That leaves Dancer/Kellanved.

I really like The Bonehunters.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Anyone have a good primer that they recommend? I stopped on Midnight Tides all those years ago and have enough vague memories of Books 1-4 that I don’t think I could re-read but would maybe restart Tides. I recently went back and finished Wheel of Time after almost 20 years so I think I would just need to knock the rust off.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
just stary with midnight tides. its not like youll be any more confused than anyone else when they start that book and realize its a whole new set of dudes

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

^burtle posted:

Anyone have a good primer that they recommend? I stopped on Midnight Tides all those years ago and have enough vague memories of Books 1-4 that I don’t think I could re-read but would maybe restart Tides. I recently went back and finished Wheel of Time after almost 20 years so I think I would just need to knock the rust off.

https://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

Even just start with the Midnight Tides recap.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Dunno how far you got into Midnight Tides, but I thought it picked up around half-way. But you have to like Tehol and Bugg since they carry the book.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really didn't like Tehol and Bugg.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think I got like a quarter through Tides but will probably restart it if I do pick it back up. Thanks for the tips!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

MT is also great as a standalone story, honestly. I remember reading it for the first time and being confused as hell with the first part dealing with the Edur, and then I got really into it when they were sent to retrieve the sword.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Publisher Synopsis for Karsa book one is out:

amazon blurb posted:

Many years have passed since three Teblor warriors brought carnage and chaos to the small lakeside settlement of Silver Lake. While the town has recovered, the legacy of that past horror remains, even if the Teblor tribes of the north no longer venture into the southlands. One of those three, Karsa Orlong, is now deemed to be a god, albeit an indifferent one. In truth, many new cults and religions have emerged across the Malazan world, including those who worship Coltaine, the Black-Winged God, and - popular among the Empire's soldiery - followers of the cult of Iskar Jarak, Guardian of the Dead.

A legion of Malazan marines is on the march towards Silver Lake. responding to intelligence that indicates the tribes beyond the border are stirring. The marines aren't quite sure what they're going to be facing but, while the Malazan military has evolved and these are not the marines of old, one thing hasn't changed: they'll handle whatever comes at them. Or die trying

Meanwhile, in the high mountains, where dwell the tribes of the Teblor, a new warleader has risen. Scarred by the deeds of Karsa Orlong, he intends to confront his god, even if he has to cut a bloody path through the Malazan Empire to do it. Higher in the mountains, a new threat has emerged, and now the Teblor are running out of time.
The long feared invasion is about to begin. And this time it won't be three simple warriors. This time thousands are poised to flood the lands of the south. And in their way, a single legion of Malazan marines . . .

It seems the past is about to revisit Silver Lake, and that is never a good thing . . .

I can dig it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Oh man, I just finished my re-read of Reaper's Gale and I think, almost in the opposite way that The Bonehunters feels spread too thin in the first half, RG feels too dense in the second. Which I know seems like a joke since every book has two dozen+ characters doing things, but I think RG also has this weird start and stop momentum that drags it out.

-In previous books all the the plotlines kind of converge into one big, frantic climax of poo poo going down (the final night of the Whirlwind imploding, the Chain of Dogs at its end, fighting through hundreds of assassins during a riot, etc). In RG the big moments like Beak's sacrifice, Redmask's war, the struggle over Scabandari's soul and Karsa's duel all happen spread out enough that the tension keeps being released instead of building up. It's weird, when I read this the first time I recalled Tehol finishing Karos' puzzle and getting attacked for it as being just after the big 'oh no they are arrested and Bugg is trapped the all is lost moment' bit but it happens, like, in the last 100 pages, well after we know the war is about to be over. The pacing is a little hosed, I dunno.
-Hannan Mosag just getting casually murdered by the Jaghut who then finds out that the situation was already under control is a pretty good moment, but the sea beast trapped in the ice is so incidental to everything else happening compared to its looming presence in MT that you always knew it was gonna be dealt with handily, so it still feels a little off that the Warlock King's plotline kind of ends with that after everything.
-So many characters! So many I didn't remember, and that's because nothing really happens with them! Rautos is a rich guy trying to figure out Icarium's machine who dies when Icarium enters his machine. Venitt is a servant who is both a slave and the deadliest assassin in Letheras, who decides at the end gently caress it, the bourgeois dies, and is never seen again. I can't even remember exactly what happens to Bivatt because after Redmask dies and Tool show up with an army it's assumed she's gonna be put to the sword but it feels almost incidental considering how much emphasis is placed on her and Brohl Handar in the first half of the book. And then the Tiste Andii...like, why even have that plot if you're going to try and tell it in the span of like ten pages and then mostly negate it at the very end? I remember it being something of a big deal when they pick them up in Malaz City in the previous book and I know they have a full-fledged plotline in the next one, but there wasn't nearly enough time spent with these characters to suddenly be concerned that Nimander's sister is crazy and gonna kill the mother and then gets fake suicided because it's couched inbetween so much more going on. Because it's a singular POV you don't even really get the interplay between characters like you do with Udinaas' party, you just know that this guy thinks he sucks and hates that he has to stop his sister and then he stops his sister, and then Clip pops up to go "oh hey come with me". Like, it's so unrelated to everything else happening it feels like it could have even just happened in the next book? It's very jarring and probably kills the momentum more than any other part of the book.
-Having said that, Silchas Ruin getting completely owned by the Malazans and fleeing and Koryk just casually crossbowing the chancellor to death in a hallway and laughing about it were both extremely funny moments that I didn't remember.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just finished my first read of Memories of Ice. It took me way too long to get to this point, and definitely too long to read it, but it was very satisfying.

I'm pretty sure those last twenty pages or so had me bouncing back and forth between tearing up and laughing.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

siggy2021 posted:

I'm pretty sure those last twenty pages or so had me bouncing back and forth between tearing up and laughing.

The times this happens will only increase in number and get more devastating.

Also I just started my first reread, Gardens hits different when you know what the hell is going on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Currently re-reading MoI.

Taken together with Deadhouse Gates, which happens simultaneously, these two books are incredibly strong. I know he went 10 years between writing 1, to the 2nd and 3rd, and it shows.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm re-reading them in the form of reading them to my wife at the moment. We're a little through Deadhouse Gates at the moment (having previously reached Midnight Tides together but tailed off due to kids selfishly deciding to be born). Erikson is often banging on in interviews about how he wrote the books with re-reads in mind, but it does show. Lots of little details, foreshadowing, names dropped in earlier than I remember them appearing from the first time round. It's a ball reading these with slightly less confusion than the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm through the first few chapters of House of Chains and dear God the realization that When Karsa and Torvald are on the boat in that Warren with the Tiste Edur it's the same boat from the second book, some 1500 pages of text ago, and in seeing what actually happened was incredible. Or at least I'm assuming that is the case, my memory might be fuzzy.

Also a quick question about timelines, spoiling just in case

Does this whole book actually take place after book 2, or does it start around the same time, but the time jumps eventually make it go past? It seems like the latter so far unless I'm wildly misinterpreting things.