Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson finished his manuscript for the Karsa novel. I guess that means we can expect publication by Christmas hopefully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Erikson finished his manuscript for the Karsa novel. I guess that means we can expect publication by Christmas hopefully?

I, for one, can't wait for a Karsa book that includes no Karsa I'll still buy it and eagerly read it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson is posting a page a day from a manuscript he's making of the next B & KB story on his fb page. Highly recommended.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally getting started on FoD. It must have over half a decade since I've read anything Malazan, so I expect to miss a lot.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Something's been bugging me for a while.

After the Tiste Edur annihilate Silchas Ruin's Tiste Andii, why does Kilmandaros decide to go all hulk-smash on Scabandari Bloodeye?
I can understand Gothos and Mael taking a purely observational interest in what's going on, but I can't work out what got Killy so riled.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Something's been bugging me for a while.

After the Tiste Edur annihilate Silchas Ruin's Tiste Andii, why does Kilmandaros decide to go all hulk-smash on Scabandari Bloodeye?
I can understand Gothos and Mael taking a purely observational interest in what's going on, but I can't work out what got Killy so riled.

Because sometimes assholes just need to get punched.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

From what I understand the lizards hosed with dark so when Bloodeye won he tipped the balance light, shadow and dark kicking off the lizards plan to destroy everything in revenge.

The most of the gods and dragons were pissed because he basically started the apocalypse and now everyone is going to die. In a couple million years.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm reading the books to my wife and it's such fun going back to the beginning and noticing new details, bits of foreshadowing etc now I've finished the series. Hope we make it through this time; we made it up to Midnight Tides previously, and because of her being jarred by the setting shift, coupled with the demands of young kids and various other life poo poo, we kind of petered out. Now about 4 years later we're rebooting and are determined to get her through to the end, though it will inevitably take some time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Started re-reading these because ~quarantine life~ and just finished House of Chains the second time and the OP is correct; they are even better on a re-read because all the hints of stuff to come (all the hints of Karsa's journey sprinkled through books two and three are so good).

Something I didn't notice the first time is that the Tiste Liosan are completely pointless? They get owned by the T'lan Imass killing their fake god, they say "maybe icarium will help us!", never find him, then get scared away from Gesler's squad by some munitions and shrug and leave. And on the other side, L'oric fails to help Felisin and then gets rescued by his emotionally distant father. At the time I assumed this was building to something later but years and years ago I made it to book nine and even though my memory is spotty I don't remember them ever showing up or doing anything important ever again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Something I didn't notice the first time is that the Tiste Liosan are completely pointless? They get owned by the T'lan Imass killing their fake god, they say "maybe icarium will help us!", never find him, then get scared away from Gesler's squad by some munitions and shrug and leave. And on the other side, L'oric fails to help Felisin and then gets rescued by his emotionally distant father. At the time I assumed this was building to something later but years and years ago I made it to book nine and even though my memory is spotty I don't remember them ever showing up or doing anything important ever again.
The Liosan play a big part in the final two books. L'oric I don't remember being mentioned again. Osric shows up a couple times in ICE books but it's never very interesting.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Wolfsheim posted:

Started re-reading these because ~quarantine life~ and just finished House of Chains the second time and the OP is correct; they are even better on a re-read because all the hints of stuff to come (all the hints of Karsa's journey sprinkled through books two and three are so good).

Something I didn't notice the first time is that the Tiste Liosan are completely pointless? They get owned by the T'lan Imass killing their fake god, they say "maybe icarium will help us!", never find him, then get scared away from Gesler's squad by some munitions and shrug and leave. And on the other side, L'oric fails to help Felisin and then gets rescued by his emotionally distant father.

The Tiste Liosan getting dunked on every time they show up is one of my favorite parts of the series.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

denimgorilla posted:

The Tiste Liosan getting dunked on every time they show up is one of my favorite parts of the series.

One thing about them in the final book that confused me was if the Andii were going into their warren to kill all of them or just the people in charge. Killing innocent civilians doesn’t really seem like the kind of the thing the Andii were down with.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ethiser posted:

One thing about them in the final book that confused me was if the Andii were going into their warren to kill all of them or just the people in charge. Killing innocent civilians doesn’t really seem like the kind of the thing the Andii were down with.

The Tiste Liosan were invading Kurald Galain (the original 'home' of all the Tiste) from their warren, which I can never remember - something Thyr-related - to try to claim it. The Tiste Andii came back to stop them. I assume that by the end, there weren't many high-ranking Liosan left to be in charge of anything.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
The Watch beheading the liosan soletaken that tried to poke her head through the shore was one of my favorite scenes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The Liosan war party dusting themselves off and climbing out of a crater and saying "what the gently caress was that?" will never stop being great

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Ethiser posted:

TCGThe leader of the Liosan (Fant or something?) was already killing dissidents and forcibly conscripted Liosan civilians to fight on the frontlines first. When they're preparing for the final attack, the POV Liosan character realizes that Fant had ended up killing most, if not all of the civilians and all that was left of the Liosan population were the elite warriors. Most of the high ranking Liosan either became Soletaken or died so I doubt there were many leaders left among the remaining Liosan.

Wolfsheim posted:

Something I didn't notice the first time is that the Tiste Liosan are completely pointless? They get owned by the T'lan Imass killing their fake god, they say "maybe icarium will help us!", never find him, then get scared away from Gesler's squad by some munitions and shrug and leave. And on the other side, L'oric fails to help Felisin and then gets rescued by his emotionally distant father

I think the only reason the Liosan are there is to show just how self-righteous and out-of-touch they are, and the reveal that they've been worshipping a fake god for ages. It leads into TCG where we learn that since then they've since discovered the deception and allowed Fant to rise to power.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Malazans wrecking ancient and all powerful beings with mundane munitions will never cease to be amusing as hell. See demon farmers and seamonster/dragon soletakens.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I started reading Reapers Gale after like 2 year hiatus since reading The Bonehunters.

Just a question, so in the end of Midnight Tides I do remember there was some sort of a battle in the Letherii. Bivatt refers to some military group that weakened the empire before the Tiste Edur invaded. Was she talking about the Crimson Guard?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ulio posted:

So I started reading Reapers Gale after like 2 year hiatus since reading The Bonehunters.

Just a question, so in the end of Midnight Tides I do remember there was some sort of a battle in the Letherii. Bivatt refers to some military group that weakened the empire before the Tiste Edur invaded. Was she talking about the Crimson Guard?

Without checking, think it was Redmask and his insurgent army.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I don't think Redmask had any major battles with Letherii prior to his exile. Certainly not enough to weaken the empire. The mortal sword Redmask didn't show up until after the Tiste Edur ruled the empire.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ulio posted:

I think some of the Crimson Guard punch their way out of Letherii just as the Edur are taking the capital at the end of Midnight Tides, but they didn't weaken the Empire. Searching wikis/malazan reread of the fallen, the first mention of Bivatt I can see is in Repear's Gale when she and her military force find a whole lot of empty canoes mysteriously abandoned on the shore. It might've been the Letherii army just hasn't had much to do post-Blue Rose and they've gone to poo poo?

I don't think it's revealed yet but the canoes belong to the barghast.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah, way before RG the Letherii military are defnitely going soft, but I think there's some off-hand talk about either some rumbling insurgency (or some lovely, half-hearted expansion?) at the far border of the Empire.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Knobb Manwich posted:

I don't think it's revealed yet but the canoes belong to the barghast.

I thought the canoes were the tiste edur and evocative of Vikings abandoning their ships on the shore of the New World when they showed up to conquer it. Especially since they were kinda of in arrested development because of the jaghut ice-time ritual they only had canoes.

I really need to reread the whole series though it's been a while.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

pile of brown posted:

I thought the canoes were the tiste edur and evocative of Vikings abandoning their ships on the shore of the New World when they showed up to conquer it. Especially since they were kinda of in arrested development because of the jaghut ice-time ritual they only had canoes.

Nah I'm pretty sure it wasn't them. The tiste edur army marched into Letherii. I think book 3, or whichever one has siege by the pann-whatever domin where Gruntle goes off, has the barghast uncover one of their ancient canoes, and from their they get Ideas and abandon Genebrakis. It's how they're hanging around with Tool leading them in the later books.

Apologies for spelling and lol no I am not reading these books for a third time, you can't make me, stop it brain.

E: elaborating further on the canoes The letherii are familiar with tiste edur ships and they're very what the gently caress who owns these god drat things. Wait you reckon half a million people could fit in there? The hell did they go??? in the discovery scene. The edur are already ruling at that point.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 27, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought the major army just got magic balled very early in the campaign

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am still unclear to whose war ships those were but we get two early Atri Preda Bivatt chapters one in prologue in which the timestamp is Last Days of King Diskanar so that could mean it's before the complete Edur invasion not sure.

The chapter and passage I was referring to is later when she is talking to a Tiste Edur who is basically a governor type figure Brohl Handar. She explains to him that the official Letherii story for the expansion in the south is because the barbarians in the south are uniting and causing trouble but that is far from the truth she says they are mostly infighting with each others tribes.

"We did clash with a mercenary company of some sort, two months past the disastrous battle that spurred your appointment, I suspect. They numbered perhaps seven hundred and after a half dozen skirmishes I led a force of six thousand Letherii in pursuit. Overseer, we lost almost three thousand soldiers in that final battle. And we still have no idea who they were."

So I couldn't tell if the battle took place before Edur invasion or after but I can't remember if this was mentioned in previous book.

Knobb Manwich posted:

I think some of the Crimson Guard punch their way out of Letherii just as the Edur are taking the capital at the end of Midnight Tides, but they didn't weaken the Empire. Searching wikis/malazan reread of the fallen, the first mention of Bivatt I can see is in Repear's Gale when she and her military force find a whole lot of empty canoes mysteriously abandoned on the shore. It might've been the Letherii army just hasn't had much to do post-Blue Rose and they've gone to poo poo?

This was what I was thinking but it seems like the battle took place outside the city and not sure how many men they had.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ah, think that solves it. You'll figure out who they are in Chapter 6.

For everone else: That sounds like the Grey Swords

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok good to know, I think it was just something I had forgotten due to long time since I last read the previous book.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

pile of brown posted:

I am 99% sure that was the Barghast, who took those canoes over from Genabackis

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Having recently reread this I can confirm that the canoos are the barghast and the small force is the grey swords made from the cannibals worshipping the wolfgods.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ah, think that solves it. You'll figure out who they are in Chapter 6.

For everone else: That sounds like the Grey Swords

You're right. I'd forgotten entirely about them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress Redmask is so badass, he even uses a whip like a Castlevania character and has a personal backstory. I really hope Erikson doesn't just randomly use him for 1 book only. I know miss Gruntle too but I think he still has a role in the future books.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

You're right. I'd forgotten entirely about them.

Probably because (spoilered for Ulio's benefit) they hadn't been seen in 4 books and all get killed off-screen and replaced with almost identical characters for no apparant reason. I genuinely have no idea wtf Erikson was trying to do there

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

First chapter of Walk in Shadow. Wish SE would start a blog rather than shove everything on Facebook, but here it is.

https://www.facebook.com/steveneriksonofficial/posts/1633922950093332

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad he's working on Walk in Shadow.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I'm just glad he's working on Walk in Shadow.

Me too.
How the KChain Che Malle will fit into everything is something I am looking forward to see.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm looking forward to Anomander Rake killing the poo poo out of Kadaspala

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Cardiac posted:

Me too.
How the KChain Che Malle will fit into everything is something I am looking forward to see.
It would be fantastic, but I anticipate them and the Forkrul Assail not really being included. Some of the main series quotes make it sound like they already did their thing and went away before the Tiste were around (plus Erikson hasn't really been keen on expanding the scope of Kharkanas).

I'm looking forward to the stuff about Eleint and T'iam, and how a whole pile of characters on multiple sides become soletaken dragons. Maybe up to and including the creation of the Malazan world and the warrens.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

See demon farmers and seamonster/dragon soletakens.

That episode shows just what a clusterfuck the malazan invasion was. Demons are living in peace on a farm, malazans freaks the gently caress out because they believe that the letherii are using demon labor and the end result is that people are dying because the situation escalates really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alhazred posted:

That episode shows just what a clusterfuck the malazan invasion was. Demons are living in peace on a farm, malazans freaks the gently caress out because they believe that the letherii are using demon labor and the end result is that people are dying because the situation escalates really quickly.

I like how the early part of the invasion everyones all excited, charging in madly behind enemy lines, pulling crazy stunts, because they have a massive case of blue-balls from the Whirlwind, and this is what Malazan marines are for.

And they basically pull a series of mini-Corals.