Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
TCG has arrived!!!!

And I have a full day of school work today and a full day of actual work tomorrow :( :smithicide:

The wait for tomorrow night is going to suuuuck. Good on Amazon for getting the book to me in just a day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

the periodic fable posted:

i had the same feeling actually starting out on TCG. i dunno, in order to care about characters i really need to remember what they're about and their storyline and erikson is juggling SO MANY by the end of this series that it's hard to keep track of them all.

The main thing I struggle with are the minor Bonehunters. Lots of those characters were just not as memorable as the BB's where way back when, but they were still cool enough to make me regret not remembering them properly.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Done with TCG.

Let's see: "That's not nice. [...] I don't like fighting."

"I have had [...] enough [...] -of- [...] your- [...] justice! [next scene]"

e. What we obviously need is a Jaghut series because they are by far the most awesome characters in all the books. No other POVs. Just Jaghuts. Some Tyrant, Hood, Gothos. Nice and simple.

Sil fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 15, 2011

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Scorvi posted:

Telorast and Curdle: TCG spoilers I'm fairly sure that they died/were destroyed during Silchas Ruin's attack on the dragons attacking the otataral dragon. I can't recall precisely, but I think they became bound to Ruin's hust sword like the other 3 dragons from Kurald Emurlan when they veered. It's mentioned near the end of the book that only 3 dragons are left. While I don't remember if any names were mentioned, I suspect Telorast and Curdle weren't among the "survivors"

I never got what the hell they were supposed to be anyway. Can't even remember where they came from.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Korlat(TCG)Sandalath was raped by a non-Tiste Andii. I always thought it was Draconus and that's why Anomander killed him. Guess it could have been Tulas Shorn, but that wouldn't have been such a secret(ie. Anomander killed him to keep a secret but Sand/Korlat weren't so private with this...

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

There's a small problem with that, called the MOI prologue. I doubt Rake would have waited to deal with Draconus until after the Crippled God fell, 120,000 years before Burn's Sleep and two hundred thousand years or so after the events in Kharkanas.

Totally forgot anything about that.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

[/spoiler]

House of Chains & TCG spoilers - This is a great question that brings up an interesting point. It was previously revealed in House of Chains that Korbolo Dom was the Talon Master but Tavore is seemingly unaware of this fact despite being a member herself. I know Cotollion segmented them specifically but it still seems like a weak explanation for why a member of the Talon is leading her army at cross-purposes against the master of her order.

The emperor is dead, the Talons are extinct and not everyone is a crazy, obssessive tryhard like Tavore?

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Karsa would have beaten the crap out of her with his bare hands and everyone knows it. I still like how he resolved that thread just because it was unexpected and fresh.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Mythology is fantasy that's really old. If someone wrote Jane Eyre today we wouldn't call the work genius we'd call it terrible. The social and literary context contemporary to the writing of a work is important in evaluating it.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
So Enduring Suffering, Noble Sacrifice and Petty Tediousness are the new gods of war?

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Oooh, ooh, pick me! I want to be the Destriant of Petty Tediousness!

From now on you shall be known as Moul D'slice.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Core Ballin, Quick Ben's less known but certainly more popping cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

It's not nearly as bad as practically every other sex scene in a book I've ever read.

I'm all for this law against sex scenes. The only one I've seen add to the story in a way that a pan to the fireplace couldn't is the one between Jezal and Ardee in The Blade Itself, and after I hit the second scene between two different people, it turned out that he wasn't trying to metaphorically show how hosed up their relationship was, that's just the way Abercrombie writes sex. But, you know, if he had done that on purpose, it would have been a pretty impressive legitimate use of a sex scene.

When it doesn't add to the story, it's just a disturbing look at the author's kinks.

Anyway, it's mostly just goons screaming. Boneing is far from the only thing Kvothe is preternaturally good at. There are (back-loaded) important story elements, so don't skip it entirely. It's not just one 50-page sex scene. Clam down, people.

I like both books in the series so far. I never found the writing boring, which the Malazan books were at time. That being said the plot and world are much weaker. It's lighter in many senses but certainly not trash fantasy. It's a decent, if flawed work, that deserves to be mentioned with other quality fantasy series that have been popping up recently.