Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Heisenator posted:

I briefly glanced over the first and last couple of pages and I did not see anything regarding where to buy the entire bookset, so apologies if this was asked already.

My friend lent me the first book and I am reading through it now; I am at the part where they introduced most of the characters in Dharujistan (spelling?). I am enjoying the book and was interested in acquiring the entire series now that it is finished. However, looking through Borders/Barnes/Amazon I cannot find anyone selling the entire series. I think the most I found was an 8 book set for $115:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0046486BQ/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1288975111&sr=1-35&condition=all

Unfortunately, the price of this seems rather expensive, especially for a set that does not include all of the books. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on where to look for the best value/complete set of the Malazan series.

Thanks in advance!

E: I should also specify that by complete set, I just mean the 10 main Erikson books, not the additional novels.

Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Deadhouse-Memories-Midnight-Crippled/dp/B004SE9LIG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

There's the full set for 150$ I'm guessing the additional $$ is for the premium on the latest book.

Also @ those prices that's only $0.0176325379099565 cents a page! 15$ a book is cheaper than seeing a movie @ 2hrs so yeah... I can guarantee you'll get more than 2hrs of enjoyment out of each book.

I don't know if you have an eBook reader but I picked up the eBooks for FAR less than paperback prices. I don't know how prices are where you live but in Canada :canada: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ebooks/search/?keywords=malazan&pageSize=12

Just started Midnight Tides and I'm about 1/4 the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Heisenator posted:

Alas, I do not have an eBook reader, so I am stuck with the slightly more expensive version. I think I would prefer the actual books though anyway.

And yes, I realize that there is substantially more bang for buck with books than movies, but it still seems like a big cash drop! =(

Then it comes down to a choice...

Buy the next book as you finish one OR buy them all outright. There's always borrowing them from friends or a library too.

I mean if you can't afford the 150$ outright maybe save first or if your comfortable spending a bit more over the long run buy one at a time.

You just have to weigh the worth of those options to YOU in the long run.

Also, eReaders are awesome and I love being able to carry around the entire Malazan series so when I finish a book while I'm on a bus or whatever I can dive right into the next.

Lunchtray fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 27, 2011

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Levitate posted:

They do! And they are a big reason why I just bought a Kindle!

I read the first two books, looked at the size of the rest of the series and went "poo poo I really don't have room on by bookshelves for another 10 book series comprised of 1000 page books"

This!

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I would be a jaghut so I could hang out with the other jaghuts because they are the loving coolest

Don't Jaghut's avoid hanging out with each other? They're ugly green trolls who're loaners... quite possibly the perfect goon character.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

qbert posted:

No, they've always been solitary by nature. It's why the T'lan Imass managed to wipe most of them out. Even after they started getting hunted down, they never thought to band together.

They're kind of hippie-ish. They won't band together to fight off a direct threat against themselves, but if there's a big threat against "the world", like a Tyrant or...other things...they'll team up for a while.

This. And when they do team up they're a force to be reckoned with. I believe in the mythos the first Tyrants were Jaghut because when one decided to rule and banded a bunch together they were extremely powerful. Hence why Tyrants = Bad guys.

Heck, can't just one Jaghut basically cause a mini ice-age wherever they dwell?

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
Just finished Midnight Tides and now have started Night of Knives.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

qbert posted:

I'm so sorry in advance.

You know I've been bracing myself on how bad Night of Knives could be but I'm 50 pg's in of 230 and so far it hasn't been so bad.

I've found it's fast and easy to read so far without much elaboration outside of basic necessity to setup a scene. It's far simpler than Erikson's work but so far it's almost a break from slogging through the first 5 in a row so far.

Who knows that might change shortly...

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

qbert posted:

Well I guess as long as you don't ask yourself why the two main characters do what they do, you might be fine...

Kiska and Temper? Yeah, I have no idea why they're doing what they're doing at this point. Maybe they're just the types that just somehow get sucked into happenings outside their control and are along for the ride either by accident, stupidity, naive interest, or it's something about their personality that hasn't really been explained well yet.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
Finished Night of Knives.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should plunge headfirst into the super long Bonehunters or take a quick break and read the first Dresden Files book Storm Front(it's short).

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
Just finished Bonehunters on the weekend. Taking a small break to read through 1 or 2 Dresden file books before I get back to it.

I believe I'm at another point where I've got to read ICE's work tho. ROTCG I think...

Bonehunters was decent enough IMO but it didn't feel as though there was a overarching storyline that lead to a climax and a resolution. Instead there was just a bunch of peaks and valleys of all sorts of side stories going on and then the book doesn't resolve itself and just ends.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

My name is Spermy Smurf, and I'm an ICE hater.

I read Night of Knives and hated my life for the 2 months it took me to get through it.

I got RotCG as a gift, and figured that I was waiting for GRRMs new book to come out (hahahaha, never gonna happen) and I started reading it despite saying I never would.

I'm 50 pages in, and I dont hate hate hate it like I did NoK. Does it get worse?

I'm 200 pages in to RotCG and it seems better than NoK.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I make some stupid comments to my friend at work who got me reading this series. Started RotCG and I was all "Kyle" are you serious?

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Whenever I see Kyle pop up I think he's a fourteen year old farmboy and then ICE starts discussing his giant mustache and it jars me out of the story.

This, I keep imagining him as a young kid who'd been pulled into the crimson guard. Especially since there's so many in there that seem to be "looking out" for him.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Sir Bruce posted:

Man, Night of Knives sucks.

In Lore chat, how on earth were people ignorant of Kellanved and Dancer ascending into Shadow? There was a huge fight in the middle of Malaz city but everyone believed the official line for several years.

If you recall almost everyone in the city was holed up in the homes. Also the big fight that went down at the deadhouse I believe was shrouded in shadow or actually in the shadow realm where to outsiders it would have looked normal. Could be wrong tho...

Sir Bruce posted:

Perhaps I'm misremembering but wasn't it Quick Ben himself who had to be clued in about Kellanved/Shadowthrone? He had his suspicions but they didn't get confirmed until book 3?

Quick Ben knew who they were because he was or was asked the be the Magei for Shadow. Instead Iscaral Pust is.

Lunchtray fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 22, 2011

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

So I have decided to go ahead with the Dresden Files as my lighter-reading Malazan follower. Pretty happy with my choice so far, it's pretty great. Midway through Fool Moon right now.

Dresden files are fun light reads. Fool Moon is possibly the worst of the first few as nothing happens in that book to expand the overall story-arch and characters.

Masonity posted:

I'd suggest alternating between Dresden and Malazan. I find Malazan (even rereads) need me needing something lighter when I'm done, while Dresden is a blast, but sort of cleans the palate and leaves me ready for more malazan.

If you start with a dresden, you can read the 3 weaker books (first two Dresdens, first Malazan) and get them over with, then really have a blast.

I've been doing this exact thing with Malazan. Alternating between a Malazan book and then 2-3 short reads of Dresden or Sookie Stackhouse.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
Just finished book 8 Toll the Hounds. I'm on the home stretch! 2 more Erickson books and 1 ICE in between book 9 and 10.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Grammaton posted:

I did that too. The first book is really good so far.

The 2nd book is meh for Dresden but afterwards it's a really entertaining series.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ Power Attracts Power.

Why do people make such a deal out of how unlikely it is that all these "powers" come together at the climax of every story, every time? It was explained early on and repeatedly, that it's part of how the world works. When you accumulate enough power, it's similar to having a great enough mass and density in space - you pick up your own "gravity." And when you're cruising around the galaxy and cross paths with the gravity well of some other reasonably large body, you'll throw each other off slightly, and if neither of you were moving at a high enough rate, then you would eventually attract each other and collide.

The the Malazan books there is generally some kind of serious (metaphorical) "black hole" of power/gravity in each book, which attracts all of the powers within range, like moths to a flame.

That and it's likely that, not sure if this is even worth spoilering but, the Crippled God and other God's in opposition to him have been manipulating every one with power to gather together, cross paths, fight, etc.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

IncendiaC posted:

More big MT and RG spoilers:I didn't really mind Brys getting taken by the guardian but I hoped that he would have a bigger change when he got resurrected. I mean, you'd think that since he went through death and came back, the whole experience would change him. As it stands now however, he pretty just got an 1UP mushroom and went as if nothing happened.

My understanding of Brys MT and RG spoilers thoughts drawn from Dust of Dreams further spoilers:
Hedge, Toc and Brys Kind-of explain why they come back without too much change. First it was because they were dead and ressurrected with this cold lifeless feeling that they just floated through trying to be themselves as an outward appearance and not really knowing their purpose. Then later they say they can finally be themselves again once Rake kills Hood and they're free or something. I don't think they come back with any real point until someone/something uses them as a tool to accomplish...stuff.

Lunchtray fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 7, 2012

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Masonity posted:

It's going to be written in first person, from the perspective of a single mote of dust, floating around Kharkanas, witnessing what winds will.

And that mote of dust is in-fact a part of a T'Lan Imass who's attempted to submit to oblivion by spreading itself out as far as possible across Kharkanas.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

the least weasel posted:

There's a reference to Malazan in ME3. :3 An alliance war asset called the Bridge Burners, an engineer corp.

I just came to post the same thing. I have a pic if people want to see the entry but I'm afraid of spoilering.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Lord Jigger posted:

So I'm like 150 pages into The Crippled God, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the gently caress is The Snake. I see Shake characters listed under The Snake section in the dramatis personae but whenever I read Snake sections I'm just confused as gently caress and nothing they're doing makes sense, and hasn't over the last book or two they've been in. The Shake are in an entirely different place from what I can tell. Maybe I should stop reading while high.

The Shake or the Ribby Snake?

I'm about 1/4 the way through The Crippled God at this point.

I'm guessing you mean the Ribby Snake... Mostly what the The Ninth Layer said & they're close to Kolanse where the Bonehunters are marching in the wastelands, I believe. Also, there's a bunch of secret Forkrul Assail watered bloods in the snake trying to kill them. I'm guessing they've been running from the Forkrul Assail who killed all their families originally in their Justice culling.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Stew Man Chew posted:

think I'm kinda burnt out for now.

I started off reading the series back to back and then reached just after the half-way point and had to start alternating other books between Malazan ones because they just take so drat long.

I've still got I.C.E's books to read Stonewielder and the other new one. Not sure when I'll go back to that series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

Masonity posted:

Dresden, however, makes an excellent palate cleanser and comedown read after a Malazan book. When re-reading I tend to go Malaz/Dresden/Malaz/Dresden, while Abercrombie can be read one after the other.

I'm not saying he's better or worse because of it, it's just Dresden is lighter than average, and Erikson really leaves you needing a lighter comedown.

This was exactly how I made it through all the Malazan books. Dresden is a great guilty pleasure book where it's just a fun ride and a quick read so you feel like you've accomplished something reading wise after getting through a Malazan book that's the size of 4 regular novels.