Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I finally got around to reading TCG (and catching up on 25 pages of ths thread) and it's been such a wild ride. Fantastic series. I agree with some of the posters earlier on in the thread, I felt that Erikson had written in a bit too many plot lines in the earlier books. Made things a bit more messier to clean up. I only wished that he would have alluded to the Forkrul Assail being a major power within the Malazan world. I mean all the other elder races had lost their nations and were basically nomads. The FA have basically ruled over the entire eastern portion of the Letherii continent and he only reveals this to us in the last book. Makes the "ultimate bad guys" seem little more than canon fodder. Then again, the story is not about who they're fighting, but who they're trying to free. I still loved the book though and made me look forward to the upcoming spinoffs.

So TCG does manage to chain the otaral dragon right? What happened to the other dragons, did Silchas murder them all? What exactly did the hust sword do for him?

One thing that amused me was throughout the entire series everyone regards Sinn as some sort of monster and as a reader you feel bad for her, but in the end she really was a monster. It's just something you don't usually see in fantasy books.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

zokie posted:

Draconus and Dragnipur: There are also several hints that Draconus, because of Kallor's curse, let himself get taken out by Dragnipur since he thought it would be broken eventually. Hints that I take as he planned for it to happen

I thought the curse on Draconus was being taken by his own sword.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LtSmash posted:

Whats even better is arguably the malazans would be the evil empire. Kellanvad was basically a mad wizard who unleashed immortal genocidal undead to conquer nearby kingdoms and then used the subjugated people to build armies to relentlessly expand to everywhere they could. Even when he was mortal he had a reputation of being insane because everything was plots within plots. He was only overthrown because he lusted for more power (warren of shadow + the azath) and allowed his treacherous underlings to consolidate power in his absence. Laseen isn't exactly a kind ruler considering a lot of the mayhem was planned.

I always was under the impression that Kellanved and Cotillion ascended as a means to an end. Or did they just want that power, explored the Azath, figured out what the hell was happening in the world and then decided to do something about it? (Which was basically freeing the crippled god, not for gain, but out of compassion?)

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Habibi posted:

I see so many people complaining about this last bit - the amount of badasses everywhere - and I might too, if it wasn't tempered by the fact that even the strongest badass can (and has) been brought down by a weak mortal with very little badass about him.

I love how in most of the books, there's always a character or two that's built up to be some hardass, only to get the poo poo stomped out of them pretty easily.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

uh zip zoom posted:

I just finished the last book and would like to know why so many things were left unresolved. And also, what's wrong with me that I want to read through it a second time?

I think the "main" series is just about this specific group of Malazans and their story, not so much about the universe that it's set in. Especially when "The Malazan Book Of The Fallen" is written by TCG. It fits in with the theme of the series, you are unceremoniously dropped in the middle of poo poo and then dropped out of it.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kekekela posted:

Nah man, you're fine. Don't get too hung up on remembering every little thing, poo poo will start to come together.

Hell, some of the poo poo doesn't come together until near the end and some of it doesn't even at all. Kind of off topic, but is there any other series that's similar to Malazan in terms of "world building"? I didn't particularly think that the characterization in this series was great, but I thought the backstory and lore was fantastic.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

Might as well chime in. I finished Gardens of the Moon a month or so ago then picked up Deadhouse Gates, and I'm probably 1/4 through it. While the first book was badass, the second book is even more badass, and I expect it will probably just continue.

Gotta say, I'm glad I'm alternating this with Wheel of Time, because otherwise it would be difficult trying to get myself through these last few pre-Sanderson books. I get to think "Gotta read through all this poo poo taking forever in WoT so I can get to the next Malazan book!"

Thank you SA for introducing me to this awesome series. It might just end up being my favorite epic fantasy series I've read, possibly more than Game of Thrones at times.

You know, I did the same exact thing you're doing. WoT is a great "palette cleanser" because it was so easy to see what was going on (relatively speaking). I ended up stopping after 3 or so books and just burned through the rest of the Malazan series because I just wanted to know what would happen next. Yeah, you don't go read another series once you've read Memories of Ice, it's just impossible to stop at that point.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

WeWereSchizo posted:

There will be more Karsa.

1/3rd of a book isn't enough for him, he needs his own trilogy. :v:

I was browsing through some Malazan wiki's, but is Olar Ethil really Burn?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

On Hood (whole series spoilers): Hood fully expected the undead Jaghut to take vengeance on him when he came back in DoD, and admitted that he was wrong about... whatever it was that he did to end the Jaghut war against death. There are many hints that he betrayed his race somehow, and while I don't believe he was a true Tyrant, I think he may have been looking out for number one when he originally took the throne of Death.

I was under the impression that he didn't intend to take the throne and that he was surprised to find out that by defeating "death" he had to take its place. It's been a while, so I could be wrong.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Plus it was weird that the book was building up to a fight with the Jaghut Tyrant, but he is defeated unceremoniously.

It's a common theme in all his books.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

So I just finished TCG. I think I have a million questions now. :siren: all the spoilers are full series spoilers :siren:

Overall, I found books 1-5 to be more engaging. I read 6-10 to solve all the mysteries laid out in the previous books. I have a bunch more questions and thoughts, but I literally finished the last book 20 minutes ago and am still trying to piece it all together. I do feel like Erikson lost interest in a lot of characters as the series went on and it caused their storylines to suffer for it.

I think the series ends the way it started; unceremoniously dropped off with a whole bunch of questions. We basically see a segment of an overall story and while some threads get answered, others do continue on without us ever knowing.

What's interesting is we see the Bridge Burners effectively getting destroyed in GOTM and we have no idea why they're so special. During the course of the series, we see the growth of the Bonehunters and as the last book ends, the BH effectively become just as badass as the Bridgeburners. It's kind of like that I feel.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 30, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

If any series needs an encyclopedia published, it's this one.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Seriously, I felt the whole Felisin the second arc really has no place since the plot thread didn't go anywhere with it later on.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Abalieno posted:

He's saying that he and Cam developed the series in-character, and so the plans changed and became larger. The same to what happened with ST & Dancer, the more they learned the more they had to readjust and make new plans. This isn't about retconning, it's about planning out and adapting to unexpected developments. Most writers do it, have a plan for a story that changes as the story finds its own direction.

A retcon isn't even plausible since Dancer speaks about changing plans already at the end of GotM, and it's obviously not possible to retcon the first book in the series since there's nothing before it to retcon it to.

Abalieno's right.

Spoilers for end of series: At first they go after the throne for shadow for their personal pursuit of power, along the way they discover TCG and what's been happening. They then decide to set things in motion to free TCG.

I've been under the impression that their motivations for doing so was simply because it was the right thing to do. Not because they wanted to change the way the warrens worked and/or to stop the various gods from loving with poo poo right? Those things just happened to be a side effect from freeing TCG?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

pakman posted:

Midnight Tides:

So what is the general consensus on this book? I just can't seem to get into it like I did the others. I simply have no interest in Trull Sengar's side of the story, and it's incredibly dull for me, sure I'll probably get to see how he came to be shorn, but it's just not grabbing me. However, I really like Tehol and Bugg. Their banter is amusing, and Bugg is some kind of wizard or something, but I'm not sure what.

Some people consider MT to be the best book in the series, I personally go with MoI, but it's a very good book once it gets going. The problem is that it starts off with brand new characters and a brand new setting when you've been deeply invested in a whole ton of other characters and continents and want to know what's going on with them. It is a very important book however in the grand scheme of things.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah, that part was hard to follow for a lot of people in this thread. Just keep chugging on.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

mcustic posted:

I'm 45 percent into Bonehunters and it still feels like a prologue. Will this get any better soon?
It's so underwhelming after Midnight Tides which is my favorite up to now. Did anyone else catch a Wooster and Jeeves vibe with Tehol and Bugg? And was the story about hairy eels a Simpsons reference?

Yeah, it does pick up later. I felt that the rest of the series became more and more of a slog in the beginning, but ended on amazing climaxes. I think TTH is the worst of all of them in this regard, that book took me the longest to get through.

E:VVV I didn't mind the scenes nearly as much as the needless internal philosophizing that each tortured character seemed to do, but yeah the damned editor should have tried harder. :v:

Lyer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 4, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

TCG spoiler talk: I'm seriously surprised by how many characters ended up making it through. Gesler, Stormy and Mappo dying all hit hard, as did Cuttle and Corabb to a lesser extent, but Fiddler surviving was unexpected and awesome. Draconus ended up being a lot cooler than I was thinking he'd be around TtH, but I was disappointed that he took off after the Errant halfway through the book and never reappeared. I'm hoping we get to find out what happens in a future book.

This is my personal take on it, but if you think about it for a bit, Fiddler is the main character of the series. I think Erikson throws you for a loop with Paran being the master of the deck and all, but Paran really doesn't do poo poo the entire series. The earlier books basically setup how awesome the Bridgeburners were and that's Fiddler's backstory, then you get Fiddler helping to lay the foundations of what the Bonehunters will be, etc etc. Then you basically have Fiddler as the last line of defense for TCG when they're holding off the hordes when they're freeing him.

That or Erikson had some really lucky dice rolls for that character during his RPing campaigns and he somehow made it through it all.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The best part of that is the self philosophizing is easily the worst part out of all the books. The series would actually be better if he didn't try and make them "literary masterpieces".

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

savinhill posted:

While Erikson does come off as conceited and rambles too much about the literary concepts of his series in interviews, I don't think it's fair to say that it has no true literary value or isn't art just because it's fantasy.

Oh I wouldn't say that it has no value, it obviously does. I just think the series would be held in higher regard if it didn't try to be something it's not.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Porkchop Express posted:

You know, I really really used to love this series. I loved the first couple of books but then as time went on I started to feel my interest slipping, and finally about 1/3 of the way through Toll the Hounds I finally just gave up. Between not being able to remember what happened from the last book and a pace that seemed really slow to me, I finally just gave up.

Do the two books that follow it get better? I have been thinking of giving it a go again and starting over from book one, because its been forever since I read the first books.

TTH took me about 7 months to get through, I went through all the book before that in 6 months. I personally feel that the 1st 2/3rds of TTH is probably the worst parts in the entire Malazan series. The story definitely picks up in the last two, although DoD does have its moments where you need to slog through. I don't remember TCG being tedious, I think it was mostly balls to the wall malazan awesomeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

5ive posted:

I really should not have read that spoiler

If you're not planning on reading the Esslemont books, the most it's talked about in Erikson's books is an off hand comment.

Speaking of the authors...which one of them is going to write about what's going on in Assail?