Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

User posted:

I like GotM because masquerade climaxes are cool, and so is Darujhistan.

I just finished GotM after several attempts and restarts. I'm haven't done much reading in a very long time, and it's something I want to get back into, and somehow dove straight into this series. My point is the climax was loving awesome and well worth the read to get to that point alone.

I dove into the second book and was very concerned at first when there was all these new names and a bunch more confusing words I've never seen before and don't entirely understand, but then my homeboys (and girl) showed back up pretty quickly so I think everything will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just finished my first read of Memories of Ice. It took me way too long to get to this point, and definitely too long to read it, but it was very satisfying.

I'm pretty sure those last twenty pages or so had me bouncing back and forth between tearing up and laughing.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm through the first few chapters of House of Chains and dear God the realization that When Karsa and Torvald are on the boat in that Warren with the Tiste Edur it's the same boat from the second book, some 1500 pages of text ago, and in seeing what actually happened was incredible. Or at least I'm assuming that is the case, my memory might be fuzzy.

Also a quick question about timelines, spoiling just in case

Does this whole book actually take place after book 2, or does it start around the same time, but the time jumps eventually make it go past? It seems like the latter so far unless I'm wildly misinterpreting things.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

The extended Karsa prologue of HoC happens well before the rest of the book, though, and before Book 2 for sure - and that's what siggy was asking. :)

e: Also it bothers me that ICE Book 1 (Night of Knives) is put alongside GotM in this chart when it's significantly before it.

Also Malazan in general has a very "lol what even is a timeline" approach to its narrative.

Yup, that was exactly it. I kind of figured it out for sure when they kept mentioning the rumors of an upcoming rebellion in the
Otataral Mines.

Honestly that chart looks very memey so I was taking it with a grain of salt.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just finished Midnight Tides this morning. I was hesitant going into it. A whole new world? All new characters (except for one)?

It was the fastest I've finished a book in the series so far. I absolutely loved it. Might be my favorite so far. Tehol and Bugg's insane conversations rule. I would read entire books of just those two talking.