Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I had to push myself through Deadhouse gates. There were parts that just seemed to drag - I had to know where things were going, but it took time. I was especially disappointed with the death of Kulp and Baudin - seriously, that came out of no where! I liked Kulp too.

Now I'm partway through Memories of Ice and... wow what a change in pace!

All the characters are in one place, they're well defined, easy to follow, things happen quickly but it all makes sense. I like how they setup the action in the novel already.

So in short, don't quit the series during Deadhouse gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Most people love DHG...What did you think of The Chain of Dogs?

That was my favorite part. The ending with Coltaine left for dead, Pormqual being a douche, Duiker getting crucified and the nobles just not caring... it was heart wrenching. You don't expect that tragedy

I guess looking back on it, it was pretty good.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Question from Memories of Ice:

At the end, with the Pannion Seer: I got that he was being used by a jaghut, but what was the whole deal with his sister and the Matron's egg and poo poo What happened with him and Paran and QB?

Loved MoI. I didn't think he could top the whole Capustan part, but then they all got to Coral and it just fell into place.

Starting House of Chains, and I'm liking Karsa so far. I don't get the hate.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

Its been awhile, and I remember having the same question when I finished MoI as well, but to my recollection:

MoI The Pannion Seer WAS a jaghut. At the beginning of the book, Kilava comes across the mother jaghut and her two children. Thinking that the Rent above Morn would keep them safe from the Clan of T'Lan Imass, she pops the two children in it. The Rent is basically a prison intended for one being, so when she pops the son in, a Matron K'Chain Che'Malle who had been trapped in there for many years pops out, then when the daughter goes in the son pops back out. The son uses the Matron to get access to the crypts with the undead che'malle which he uses in his eventual pannion army. When they defeat the Seer, they have mercy on the Seer and reunite him with his sister, who remains at the young age in which she was put in the Rent. And wasn't the Egg a Finnest? Someone who has reread it recently can probably shed more light on this.

That makes a lot of sense. I completely forgot about that part way back at the beginning. and yes, the egg was a finnest.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

So I read the first four books over a year ago and wanted to start reading things again. From what I gather, book 5 is the start of Major Plot Thread #3, and book 6 brings things together.

Will I be completely lost once I get to book 6? Is there a site that has summaries of the books (at least 1-4)? Should I just start over at the beginning?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

What exactly was going on in the beginning with the dragon and Kulp's warren and all that? The whole section was very confusing, but I know he was mixing his with the one they were stuck in and somehow managed to escape. I'm not sure exactly what he was doing though.

If I remember correctly, Kulp thought it was safer to stay behind the dragon, so he opened his warren and used Meanas' power to move them into the wake. But opening Meanas warren within that Elder warren did something bad - the door sort of got stuck, and water started flowing in. Kulp tried to "trick" other gods into helping him, then the dragon turned around and was like "oh, i guess i should help." Once the warren was closed, the gods pulled back and Kulp collapses, with the ship now in the dragon's wake.

Then, the dragon exits, still towing the ship in it's wake, and they go through kind of a fire curtain. I didn't really get that part - other than the fire gives people stone skin or whatever. I'm on book 5 now myself, so that is still a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Robot Danger posted:

I finished up the first four books pretty quickly, but now I'm sitting at Midnight Tides having trouble picking it up. I thought the Tiste Edur storyline from House of Chains was pretty uninteresting compared to everything else, and now faced with the prospect of 1000 pages pretty much all dedicated to it makes it seem more like a chore before I pick back up where the main story left off.

How does it this book stand in comparison to the first four? I realize that House of Chains started the Edur story without much information and this explains will probably explain a lot of it, but I still can't help but drag my feet a bit.

Am I being silly?

I'm in the exact same boat as you - I really like the Tehol and Bugg parts though, they're pretty awesome. Running around the city and all their schemes are so entertaining.

The edur part, I'm still kind of "eh" about.

Could someone give me a primer over the Silchain / scabarandi /Mael dragon stuff works? It's confusing the poo poo out of me. I'm assuming, based on previous interactions, that it'll all come back up and i dont want to get too lost. I suck with lore.