Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
From Deadhouse Gates onward the novels slide from being well-paced throughout to cramming climax(es) into the very end. Enjoy the constant action while it lasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I'm four chapters into the last book. I was shocked to discover this because I had assumed I was still in the prologue. I'm wondering if a story ever actually starts or is the entire novel even more of the morose blather, the monotonous ramblings of characters inner thoughts that has defined (and ruined) the last few books?

Does anything loving happen in this massive goddamn book? Has no one been editing these things since Midnight Tides?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Lyer posted:

Some people consider MT to be the best book in the series, I personally go with MoI, but it's a very good book once it gets going. The problem is that it starts off with brand new characters and a brand new setting when you've been deeply invested in a whole ton of other characters and continents and want to know what's going on with them. It is a very important book however in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, Midnight Tides is tough to stay in, because half of the book is character and world-setting, while the second half is just unbelievable batshit insanity. It really deserves to be read through.

Really big MT spoiler: Would you guys have preferred Brys stay dead after being poisoned? It fit the tragic outrage of how the story progressed; it was pretty cool when the guardian came for him but I think Erikson went a bit overboard with his resurrection spells in the end of MT.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 7, 2012

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I have zero interest in ICEs books and will never read them. Fan fiction afaic

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Redmask spoilers

why did the k'chain turn on him so viciously? Because the battle against lethee was lost? Meaning they had some stake/vendetta against....oh man are you telling me the k'chain 100,000 years later had a bone to pick with the tiste edur because of that huge fuckoff battle when the edur and andii invaded their realm and murdered them all, and decided to help some random human in his tribal battle against the edur-lether empire?

Sorry for the rambling, it just clicked for me why the k'chain were involved in the first place. Is there any concrete information about why they were there/turned on red mask ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

It also results in a couple of really good fight scenes.

I really wanted more of Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard. But not enough to read the ICE books.