Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Karsa O'erlong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I've forgotten almost everything about Deadhouse Gates, which has proven to be a problem in my nearly-finished reading of House of Chains.

Memories of Ice is my favorite in the series so far. Itkovian is a boss.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I have a friend who listens to the audio books and we can't even have a coherent conversation due to our completely different pronunciations. Everything turns into "oh yeah, the undead raptors with blades on their arms?" "Yeah those guys"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm struggling with Midnight Tides. Does it ever catch up to the rest of the timeline, or is it 1000 pages of bronze age gray elves?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's the latter. I hated it on first read but it's one of the best books in the series if you're not anxious yo find out what happens next. Try 2 slow down and love the sad grey elves

but I don't--

anilEhilated posted:

It's actually 1000 pages of bronze age gray elves and dick jokes.

ok I'm back in

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I just finished Midnight Tides after having stalled in the beginning of it a few times. Once you get to Rhulad's death and resurrection things really get going, and of course some of the characters like Tehol and Bugg are unforgettable. I found the ending a bit of a wet fart, though.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Holy hell Bonehunters is amazing

A high seas battle involving Karsa, Icarium, the Edur fleet, and the remnants of the Bridgeburners? Elder Holds? A new Deck? I'm not prepared for this.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The Bonehunters down. That might have been my favorite one yet next to Memories of Ice. The very last scene of the epilogue really tied a bow on everything.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I've always pronounced it Teest in my head and you can't stop me, Steven Erikson

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

Featuring your pal and mine, Tasty Andy

and his plucky little brother, Tasty EdURRRRRR

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm reading through Malazan with a friend, I'm reading while he primarily listens to audiobooks. Half our conversations are spent settling on pronunciations so we can have the rest of the conversation.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Oh, Beak...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

He mixes up his style a bit. I guess he is aping off Arabian Nights style narration for TTH.

I'm a little ways into TtH myself (~150 pages) and I've noticed the writing is way more flowery than his usual

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Toll the Hounds is a good title which doesn't stand out well enough because the two around it are Deathblood's Doorstop and The Sadness of My Heart

Loved these two when they were Celine Dion songs

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Just started Dust of Dreams, loved Erikson's note at the beginning, basically "please excuse this book's lack of resolution or traditional structure, you've made it this far so I'm sure you're game for a 2500 page novel." :allears:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Dust of Dreams is massively dragging for me. Shuffling across a desert of clans I don't care about to get to the scattered oases of Malazan scenes.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm about to crack the last 40% of The Crippled God after reading from Midnight Tides on up this year. I can really relate to the Malazans' trek through the crystal desert.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
10% left in Crippled God. The assault on the Spire is one hell of an unforgettable chapter.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Jag'hut, T'lan Imass, K'Chain Che'Malle, Forkrul Assail, oh my!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Finished The Crippled God. It will take me weeks to digest all that I just read. I laughed, I cried, and I have no idea what to read now.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Before I started reading it was MAL-uh-zann, after I started reading and discovered it was an adjective I figured it was probably Muh-LAZ-in but that sounds dumb so I never stopped saying it the wrong way.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Y'ghatan was the only part of the entire 10 book series that I listened to on audiobook. I listened to it over a 6-hour drive, to and from, and so it has a special place for me. It felt (obviously) much different, and it took on an especially dark tone as Fiddler and the group were navigating the tunnels under the city while I was driving through the mountains in pouring rain. It felt weighty and dire, and I loved the idea of the Bonehunters being literally forged in fire.

Bottle is a pretty boring character, agreed. He shines in some scenes over the course of the novels but his personality is lacking, I don't know, stickiness? He doesn't have much of a hook like some of the other, better characters.

Karsa gets short thrift in The Bonehunters but his fight scene with that monster was one of his best fight scenes, in my opinion. It felt like something out of Conan, like a one-off story in "The Adventures of Karsa". I get wanting more, though.

I really enjoyed Kalam, Tavore, and T'amber's flight through the city, but mostly because of Kalam--Tavore is barely a character until The Crippled God, and T'amber isn't really a character at all. It was weak as far as convergences go, but it was pretty enjoyable for me (especially Fiddler's playing). I guess I was never married to the idea of each book's convergence having to top each before it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I kind of pictured them as WoW trolls physically except taller and a little more stretched out

Me too. The Barghast were always the Malazan orcs in my mind.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Apparently (book 8/9 massive spoiler) Rake's death was decided by a single dice roll? Makes you wonder what might have been.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 15, 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'll be honest this made me cringe a little to read. I'm willing to accept most of the PnP stuff as a cool oral/collaborative storytelling basis for the novels but that is definitely a plot point that should have been a careful thematic choice. I dunno

Thankfully it felt plotted out and earned, but yeah, I'm dubious about PnP-as-storytelling insofar as plotting out a 10 book series goes

quote:

Also new reader do NOT read that spoiler

I edited my posted to be clearer, definitely don't want a new reader stumbling on to that one.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Post/describe how you pictured characters in your mind, I'll start

Tavore was the chick from Willow

Icarium was Abe

Quick Ben was that guy from The Incredibles voiced by Sam Jackson

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

An old post I made

Good ones. I feel the Cid/Whiskeyjack one deeply.

I pictured Kruppe like Dustin Hoffman in Hook except fatter and of course more jovial

Caladan Brood is Garrosh from WoW

Tiste Edur are the ash zombies from Morrowind. With faces. So gray Dunmer, I guess.

Smiles is Nance from Edge of Tomorrow

Young Grub is the baby from Baby's Day Out

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 9, 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The only real :psyduck: I see there is Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho, and arguably Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto--he doesn't seem quite old enough to carry the part.

I'm sure Stellan Skarsgård will nail Baron Harkonnen, and Charlotte Rampling as the Reverend Mother is a stroke of genius.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My favorite Erikson blog posts are the ones in which he eviscerates Star Trek Discovery

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And if you didn't cry at literally any of the named-character deaths you loving monster then I dunno what book you were reading.

Beak :negative:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've read the books through twice and could name specific Udinaas scenes and even confirm that I liked him a lot but I could not tell you for the life of me what his storyline was

A journey whose ultimate goal all along was to be able to teach his grown-rear end son how to properly clean a fish

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One is dead, the other is a sex pest.

Haven't heard this. What did Mieville do?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Doesn't he get laid exactly once? Seems standard.

Then he pined after her for half the series. Holds up.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The emotional payoff of the Harllo subplot was one of the best in the entire series for me, right up there with "I lost her!" and Beak

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I get that, but I thought it was poorly done. There is no transition between him being the malazan skeletor and being the malazan messiah.

I also felt some whiplash from this character turnabout. It wasn't so much taking him from "bad" to "good", which I thought was a neat twist given Tavore's arc (I think calling it an arc is generous, but I digress) as it was the shift in tone of his dialogue. He went from a coughing, robed husk in a tent who was lovely and shifty to everyone, to a benevolent, gentle giant. It was bizarre. I felt like I had missed a major scene at some point.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I love that bawdy drunken arachnophobe

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Itkovian

Sometimes me and my friend who I read through the entire series with will text Malazan names back and forth just to conjure memories

Beak

Kruppe

Toc (which? The Younger of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
There's a good stretch of 3 or 4 books where the vibe is "Paran is also around here doing cool things, just out of frame"