Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I felt like Icarium got an awful lot of attention earlier in the series for someone who played no role at all in the final battle. I really hope he gets some attention in future books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Oooh, ooh, pick me! I want to be the Destriant of Petty Tediousness!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Quiters - Inquisitors always made more sense to me.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kingkiller is decent but overrated. The first book has some good bits but also plenty of places where you could see it was someone's first book. The second one builds more on Rothfuss' weaknesses than strengths. The third one looks like it will never be written at this point, since Rothfuss seems more interested in being a Celebrity Author than in publishing books.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I thought Rejoice was a little smug in some ways but also thought-provoking, and certainly not awful.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Eh, when I started reading the series, the emphasis on the importance of gender felt new and interesting, but with trans rights such a big topic in my life today, I feel differently about it. One of the problems with writing a series over decades is that the world can move on while you work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Barreft posted:

So Twitter basically ruined you able to enjoy anything without that lens?

If so, do you feel the same as straight white old people who get upset and yell when there's gay people in shows?

Basically just try and enjoy things instead of getting offending over nothing. The show is cool, the books are great. e: the two main characters in the show are lesbians, is that enough of a checkbox to allow you to watch it or do you need more?

It's rather less Twitter and more observing the experience of my genderqueer kid, my friend parenting a transgender kit, a coworker transitioning, and a friend transitioning. I don't have a lot of patience for gender essentialism anymore. A careful reading might also note that at no point did I say "ruined" or even complain that I was offended. I said I feel differently about it than I did decades ago. I can't help but wonder if you actually read what I wrote or just decided that a person who would make a post like mine must be a person you're mad at.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wants to be a famous writer more than he wants to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The aunt is not one of the sex ninjas, she's a grumpy member of the lower gentry, unless my memory is way off base. Not that it matters so far...