Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.rpg.net has at least three parallel hate threads going on about him at any given time if you want to read more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GoneRampant posted:

Regarding the Zak Smith thing, I did a bit of reading into him. After laughing like a 12 year old that he shares the name with an adult film star, I found a tumblr post by a trans dev who worked with Zak for a few years that was asked about how they felt regarding Zak being a transphobic. Their response (Since I'm too lazy to dig it up) amounted to "I worked with Zak for nearly five years; if he was transphobic, why would he willingly work in his version of a living hell and never say a thing?"

Not defending Zak (And I don't want to get into a discussion about him since all of the stuff about him amounts to a collection of he-said-she-saids that make it impossible to know who instigated what), but I figured that what his actual coworkers feel about him should be worth noting.

plenty of transphobic people know how to keep their mouth shut to keep a paycheck.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

GoneRampant posted:

Regarding the Zak Smith thing, I did a bit of reading into him. After laughing like a 12 year old that he shares the name with an adult film star, I found a tumblr post by a trans dev who worked with Zak for a few years that was asked about how they felt regarding Zak being a transphobic. Their response (Since I'm too lazy to dig it up) amounted to "I worked with Zak for nearly five years; if he was transphobic, why would he willingly work in his version of a living hell and never say a thing?"

We Eat Blood features a trans vampire whose only real interaction with you is to tell you they murder Trump supporters and give random "old, ugly guys" handjobs every night.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dienes posted:

We Eat Blood features a trans vampire whose only real interaction with you is to tell you they murder Trump supporters and give random "old, ugly guys" handjobs every night.

Lol, transphobic as gently caress. all trans people are hookers dontcha know

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Said character is also a rapist and serial killer, and is named after a real trans person that Zak has publicly gone after in the past. So, yeah.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This discussion has nothing to do with Bloodlines.

No one cares about some Gamergate bigot's terrible text adventure.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In Obsidian's AMA on reddit:

And speaking of Leonard Boyarsky, he gave a retrospective of his career at SINFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjx7s1V1elw

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Around 1:29:30 he says he's creating a brand new IP, so Bloodlines 2 would not be it.

Somehow Paradox seems to have purchased the WoD IP primarily to advance its LARP. All its announced digital properties at this point have been shovelware. Who could have seen that coming?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

lol at the idea of making a modern 3D RPG on a crowdsourced budget.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Paradox publishes Crusader Kings and Cities: Skylines, they could fund a AAA effort game (or a midbudget jankfest like Bloodlines 1) if they wanted to.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

lol at the idea of making a modern 3D RPG on a crowdsourced budget.

You use the crowd funding to make a decent example product to sucker in impress investors and get them to fund the rest. At least that's how the theory/some of the more successful non-gaming kickstarters work.
Either way Obsidian is poorly run and has hemorrhaged most of its talent without gaining any actual QA capacity or management, so why anyone would expect a non-jankfest game from them is beyond me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The fact that they've survived as an independent studio for 15 years would throw a bit of water on the notion that Obs is poorly run. Zenimax tried to eat them and couldn't, that's quite a feat. As for personnel, revolving doors are the nature of the business, given the burnout rate that comes from crunch and the ebb and flow of contracted funding. I guess you could call Avellone's departure significant, but his recent output had been less than stellar even so. I don't have high hopes for Torment, or Prey for that matter.

The idea of crowdfunding a proof of concept is so stupendously dumb that it's almost sublime. Can't say it hasn't been done - there was that old school Rainbow Six-style tactical shooter that funded in the early days of the game KS boom, they ended up with an extremely anemic vertical slice that they sold to a no-name publisher and quietly died. There was also some UE4 superhero concept that went nowhere fast.

But really, there's no upside. If you're in the position where you can't pay for your own proof of concept and have to pass the hat around, you sure as poo poo don't have money to keep the lights on for the months it will take to find a publisher who'll take pity on you.

More to the point, there is literally no AAA publisher on earth that will give you money to build an IP that they don't own, and only a few who will buy a new IP off of you. A crowdfunded proof of concept would have to be an IP that backers knew if it's going to get any love, and you can't raise money off of borrowed IP through crowdfunding, the KS police will shut you down. The only reason Paradox was involved in "publishing" PoE is because they were never asked to put their money into the actual development of the game.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 27, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Can anybody account for why, after installing the widescreen fix and the CQM, that all in-game decals (including but not limited to the UI and inventory item images) are now in spectacular, eye-poping low-res? Even adjusting the resolution scale back to normal hasn't fixed the problem.

Is that a wallet in your pocket or do you just have undefinable brown blur?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Other than one of the installs probably hosed up the textures, texture settings in some .cfg/.ini, or perhaps some sort of streaming/LoD issue (but Source didn't and I think still doesn't support texture streaming).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Turns out that the installation instructions for CQM in the OP are out of date - you direct the install to the root folder, not the /Vampire subfolder. It was an issue with the game freaking out upon seeing RAM capacity above 2 gigs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So Jack definitely set the fire, right?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Grünfeld Bach set the fire in Grout's house.

Unless you are talking about the forest fire, which was set by LaCroix (or probably one of his lackeys).

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 1, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Only the fire in LaCroix's pants.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Basic Chunnel posted:

All I know is, we didn't start the fire.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

All I know is, we didn't start the fire.

Though we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Though we didn't light it, but we tried to evade it for several minutes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aggravated damage is no joke

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Grünfeld Bach set the fire in Grout's house.

Unless you are talking about the forest fire, which was set by LaCroix (or probably one of his lackeys).

I know its for game reasons, but I thought LaCroix would have more lackeys than just you and the Sheriff. It seems like he had a whole building full of Ventrue just doing paperwork till it was time to shoot you.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

sebmojo posted:

Only you can prevent rötschreck.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Whoever it is took the tram down which takes about two minutes (assuming it went right back up), then vanished just in time for Jack to show up

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I know its for game reasons, but I thought LaCroix would have more lackeys than just you and the Sheriff. It seems like he had a whole building full of Ventrue just doing paperwork till it was time to shoot you.

Yeah, LaCroix is a really, really weak Prince. He was only nominally backed since LA wasn't Camarilla turf; if he succeeded he added it to the fold. If he failed, no real loss to the Inner Circle. His authority barely extends beyond downtown core.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, LaCroix is a really, really weak Prince. He was only nominally backed since LA wasn't Camarilla turf; if he succeeded he added it to the fold. If he failed, no real loss to the Inner Circle. His authority barely extends beyond downtown core.

That makes a lot more sense.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I forget what series I saw this in but I loved the idea that damage taken from vampire weaknesses only heals at the rate of normal human metabolism and can scar and maim like common mortal injuries. That really wouldn't work in a videogame but it's fantastic flavor in a non-real time setting.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Is anyone playing this game on Windows 10 without recurring issues? I have to reinstall my AMD video drivers daily in order to play Bloodlines because I keep getting "Unable to init shader system" engine errors. A clean video driver reinstall fixes the issue so I think something is broken with the DirectX 9 runtime, but I don't have any idea what's triggering this. I don't let Windows update my device drivers and it seems to happen whether or not there have been any recent Windows updates.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Charles Mansion posted:

Is anyone playing this game on Windows 10 without recurring issues? I have to reinstall my AMD video drivers daily in order to play Bloodlines because I keep getting "Unable to init shader system" engine errors. A clean video driver reinstall fixes the issue so I think something is broken with the DirectX 9 runtime, but I don't have any idea what's triggering this. I don't let Windows update my device drivers and it seems to happen whether or not there have been any recent Windows updates.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

It might be an AMD issue, I played it a few months back with an NVidia card and the unofficial patch, and didn't encounter any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i played it a few weeks ago on an AMD card without issues as well, so if it is an AMD thing maybe its build specific or who loving knows with this snakebitten game

• Locked thread