Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

68k posted:

I have the blurry UI and I thought it was normal, too. If I install the basic Wesp patch now, will it mess up my current save game?

Probably, but there is a standalone fix for that bug that doesn't. It's related to the game thinking that there's less video ram than there is, and there's a modified .exe or ini file or something out there. It's pretty easy to find on google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The Vampire setting seems super cool (in a nerdy way), but none of my friends are into pen and paper games and I'm super dubious about seeking out an existing Vampire group, for obvious reasons. If I just want to immerse myself in all of the nifty mythology and history of the setting, which books should I read? Is everything just sourcebook type stuff, or do they have novels that tie in as well?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Orange Sunshine posted:

It's probably a necessary design philosophy. Anything which players can screw up, they will.

This is true of all software. Developers will always assume that their users are going to gently caress everything up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Adnachiel posted:

They gave up on updating it and switched over to just rebuilding the whole thing in Unity with multiplayer and a bunch of little extra bits. They also have a new site.

Lol, that will either never be finished or be finished but have so many "customizations" that it ends up being nothing like the original game and no one will play it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Upmarket Mango posted:

If anybody is into this kind of thing, ReShade has entered public beta and it works perfectly with VtMB. ReShade is a graphic shaders suite, similar to SweetFX, but with more capabilities akin to ENB. Using ReShade along with the MasterEffect shader pack allows you to enjoy a slew of fancy features such as color correction, bloom, SSAO, and DoF to name a few. There's a bunch more than that. You can download ReShade by itself or bundled with SweetFX 2.0 which hasn't been released yet aside from being bundled with ReShade. MasterEffect is a seperate download and installed to the same directory you installed ReShade.

ReShade can be got from ReShade.me. MasterEffect is required for things like SSAO and DoF and that can be downloaded from the forums there. I'm not affiliated with this in anyway, just an enthusiastic user wanting to spread the joy.

Here's what I managed to do with this game. Due to the way the depth buffer is pulled, things like SSAO and DOF will affect menus and GUI elements. It's a ReShade issue and a better implantation of GUI detection is on the todo list :

Is the reshade on top in all of them? Because if so, I think it looks worse than the unaltered game screens.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Copper Vein posted:

Best song is actually Swamped.

Fittingly enough, I had already been introduced to Darling Violetta from the earlier VTM game, Redemption.

Bloodlines got me to look up Lacuna Coil and Chiasm; I wouldn't recommend the latter.

Tiamat was actually the only band I hadn't heard of before playing the game that made me give a crap about them after the game. Cain is a really good song. They're not great, but they're fun to listen to once in a while.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Krowley posted:

Counterpoint: do what you want; it's a single player game, who cares if you cheat

but you're not playing the game the right waaaaayyyyyyy.

But more seriously, I've seen more than a few people bitch about how boring some game or another was, only to have it turn out that they cheated around some core mechanic (levelling in RPGs, scarce ammo in a shooter, etc) and judged the game based on running around some video game setpieces and holding down the left-click button. I think with a game like Bloodlines, the fanbase is pretty devoted to it and don't want to see people end up with a bad impression of the game based on cheating, because the more people who fall in love with the game, the more likely (in our dreams) it is that maybe someday we'll see a follow up to this game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Don't fret too much. I played stalker for about an hour, found it supremely boring, and never touched it again. It really isn't even a little similar to an RPG.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CatchrNdRy posted:

Yeah everything I read made it seem just like an atmospheric shooter.

It lost me at "dungeon crawler". If I had my druthers I'd have Bloodlines 2 only be in realistically sized (small) urban locations. I have never been a fan of long maze like dungeons (or sewers or endless warehouses) that seem to infest RPGs. I would love a ever-changing hub with normal sized and current day mansions and buildings to explore.

fantasy game devs seem to be allergic to realistic settings, and it's kind of annoying. what's cooler than running around a place that looks like your own city but with kickass superpowers?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think Tolkien rip off fantasy games actually sell more units purely by virtue of genre tropes. :shrug:

i call this "the elder scrolls phenomenon". the more generic and like every other rpg TES becomes, the more popularity it gains.

like seriously, why is it Skyrim and not Morrowind that got a remaster this year?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Probably because Morrowind is ancient

that's my point? skyrim doesn't look that dated. why are they remastering a game that just came out instead of remastering the older games that could use the touchups?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not to mention that a good chunk of the people who would be interested in a remaster would be scandalized by engine-level improvements to mechanics. The entire game would have to be rebalanced against the removal of dice-based combat.

Why would you add dice-based combat? They could just give me the same game with modern graphics and I would be happy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Davin Valkri posted:

A lot of Morrowind's sub-systems are RNG based. Security, for example, wasn't done by actively picking a lock in the style of Fallout--it was done by equipping your lockpick and waving it in front of the locked item until you got a message that said "security check successful!" Combat was similar--when you attack an enemy with a melee weapon, there's a final RNG check to see if you hit, even if your weapon's model clips right through the NPC's model. Obviously, if you remove that you will hit and be hit a lot more, and thus damage and HP pools need to be adjusted accordingly. Same with the Security thing--you would need to revalue and replace lockpicks if you can't assume that players must by RNG burn through them at a relatively steady pace.

Sorry, I typoed. I meant "remove dice-based combat". I like Morrowind because there's places you genuinely can't go based on stats. Oblivion and Skyrim you're restricted only by your ability to kite and play the lockpick minigame well.

edit: Hopefully once the OpenMW project hits 1.0 some insanely talented recluse will grant my wish and just do a true-to-original graphical overhaul with no other changes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GoneRampant posted:

Regarding the Zak Smith thing, I did a bit of reading into him. After laughing like a 12 year old that he shares the name with an adult film star, I found a tumblr post by a trans dev who worked with Zak for a few years that was asked about how they felt regarding Zak being a transphobic. Their response (Since I'm too lazy to dig it up) amounted to "I worked with Zak for nearly five years; if he was transphobic, why would he willingly work in his version of a living hell and never say a thing?"

Not defending Zak (And I don't want to get into a discussion about him since all of the stuff about him amounts to a collection of he-said-she-saids that make it impossible to know who instigated what), but I figured that what his actual coworkers feel about him should be worth noting.

plenty of transphobic people know how to keep their mouth shut to keep a paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dienes posted:

We Eat Blood features a trans vampire whose only real interaction with you is to tell you they murder Trump supporters and give random "old, ugly guys" handjobs every night.

Lol, transphobic as gently caress. all trans people are hookers dontcha know

• Locked thread