Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is there a glitch with the More Fun With Pestilence mission? The bum that you're supposed to talk to to set the whole thing off won't spawn for me, and I really want my swank-rear end chantry pad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dixie Flatline posted:

Well, there's 2 bums you've got to talk to. There's the old lady one and then tin can bill. The old lady one is near the fire at the end of the road the last round is on.

Turns out the walkthrough I was using to resolve mystery events like this had terrible directions, I was literally one alley away from finding Tin Can Bill but stopped just short of turning the corner. loving Gamefaqs.

PS: Thaumaturgy loving owns. I've got four points in it now; between Blood Purge, Blood Salvo and a good ol' shotgun, the final Ninth Circle fight was incredible.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 1, 2012

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm using Wesp's mod only and I can't find Fat Larry anywhere, did it just glitch him out of the game entirely or something? I've been noclipping all over downtown LA and that dude just won't show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wesp's mod does move him to a less conspicuous location. Face where Larry used to be, with Lacroix towers to your left, and the parking garage to your right. Now turn around, walk until the street turns 90 degrees to the left, and look to the right. He should be in that alley right there.

If you don't see him then you might have to reinstall the mod.

Followed the directions just fine (alley to the right/east of the Confessions club, behind the thugs that had a fight), reinstalled, still nothing. I think the Sabbat got to him :(

Aside from that, the game continues to own. Somehow I've ended up with over $2000 despite not going particularly out of my way to extort anyone for cash, and thaumaturgy continues to be a hilarious win button in fights. I'm about halfway through the game and I already can't wait to replay it with other clans to see how the dialogue/combat options vary.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Fat Larry is down an alley by the church bar; look for his van.

Right, I found where he should be, he just isn't there. When I bring up the console it says something about not finding the character file at line 401 or something when I walk by, I think something's screwy with the latest version of Wesp's mod.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

The next version of the patch is most likely going to include a cut level, the Los Angeles Public Library, and an entirely new quest to go along with it. Personally I don't mind him adding more poo poo to the Plus version of the patch, and it's good he's cutting more and more changes he's made out of the Basic version so there's something for everyone.

Son of a bitch, I was wondering what that library card was for! And here I was hoping I'd at least be able to uncover a secret cache of vampire lore in the basement or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

For my part, I'm a giant Cheaty McCheaterson when a game isn't going my way, so I didn't have any problem cranking out the ol' Source console commands if something was getting particularly frustrating. Especially since I built my Tremere to be a smooth operator who only busts out the blood magic and buckshot when necessary, then found that in the last third of the game, it's always necessary (and extra sources of blood during lengthy combat sections can be rare).

Even then I usually don't go for straight-up godmode twinkery, just stuff like the occasional bloodpack or box of ammo if I'm in a pinch. Think of it as sympathy from the GM.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 21, 2012

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

But...but he's a vampire. How would that work? :stare:

Fortitude and a lot of concentration?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, firing blood-draining magic missiles is a neat trick but it becomes way more trouble than it's worth by Hollywood or so, since you have to stand still to actually get the blood back and eat a ton of bullets/aggravated melee in the process, and Blood Boil is amazing to behold but not really worth the four points per use.

Blood Purge plus a shotgun is a pretty excellent combo that murders just about everything, and Blood Shield lasts forever and looks awesome in third person view, so there's that. I'm kinda glad I went Tremere on my first playthrough though, if I played this after a gun-heavy character it probably would've felt a bit... anemic :rimshot:

CommissarMega posted:

I also found it fiddly juggling all my powers on the fly.

Also this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It is being made by CCP, who make EVE.

And they claim to want to make roleplaying and political power-jockying as important and tangible as combat, however the hell they're gonna make that work.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoodleMoogle posted:

So I bought this game a while back and have been having a ball throughout the entire thing. Not counting when I would get wedged in doors or accidentally render quests unfinishable. But that doesn't matter. What I wanted to ask was what is the best way to kill the Tzimisce boss in the Hallowbrook hotel.
I'm playing a melee/dementation heavy Malkavian so I'm pretty hosed when it comes to dealing with this guy. I've been so used to spamming dementation spells on enemies and letting them kill themselves that I find myself having a hard time with hard hitting bosses like these. Any tips?

If you don't have any shame, just use console commands and curse the game for punishing your preference for melee and insanity-bolts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoodleMoogle posted:

At this point I don't mind cheating a little. I swore to myself after the Hollywood sewers that I wouldn't let myself suffer like that again. Would you happen to know the specific command for that fight?

http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/vampiretmb.html All the console commands can be found there, my suggestion for quickly getting yourself through any tough area is pretty much a flamethrower and a quickbind to spawn more flamethrower fuel (the flamethrower chews through fuel absurdly quickly). And the ever-popular god mode if you messed up and don't have the most survivable build around, but if you're already using the console codes then you could just reset your stats and respend the points intelligently, anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I go Tremere, can I go all Neo Matrix or whatever? I still want to be able to take a diplomatic path but if all else fails do some weird blood magic and put a bullet in dude's heads. :black101:

Toreador is the Neo clan, boost your Celerity and Auspex and you can zoom around headshotting in super slo-mo all day long. Tremere lets you wave your hand to cast magic blood bolts, drain blood from afar, shield yourself with blood, and at the highest and awesomest levels, just look at things to make them seize uncontrollably or loving explode :hellyeah: (And unlike many offensive disciplines, a lot of this stuff works on bosses!)

E: all the disciplines and their effects by rank

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 21, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In 99% of the game a :flame: is as good as god mode (and a lot more satisfying).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hashal posted:

After you go into the hotel, you're going to wish you didn't. drat I need to play this game again. I never finished it, even though I've played it about 4 times. I have issues with getting bored before finishing games (bored meaning sidetracked with something else).

Man, I have the same problems real bad. My last playthrough I got up to just before the big werewolf setpiece mission, then got distracted by Poker Night 2 and the Lego and Arkman Batmans as birthday gifts and suddenly it's four months later and I don't feel like finishing the run. And I didn't finish Arkham Asylum because I 100%ed it on the 360 two years ago so I got to the endgame and then was like "ehhhh, I already did the boss fight before" :effort:

If there's any game worth replaying at least the first half of again, though, it's definitely this one. Still one of the most atmospheric first-person perspective games out there, after all this time.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 9, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The sewers were hella annoying, but as a Tremere I just gave myself a quickbind for unlimited bloodpacks to fuel the most hilariously over-the-top murderfest with constant use of Blood Boil to get through it. If this were a later-generation game the sewers would have been literally running red by the end of it all, and I would've looked indistinguishable from my Blood Shield form :unsmigghh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The plus patch made Fat Larry vanish from the game for me, and multiple reloads never fixed it. Replaying the game obviously isn't a problem and all, but drat, what an unfortunate glitch.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh man, thread necromancy at its finest! If anyone still cares: yes, I made certain I was looking for Fat Larry at both his old and new locations, he wasn't at either of them. Something simply went screwy in the Wesp+ install and he refused to load properly. :shrug:

Also, you'd be surprised how many character build problems a flamethrower and a +fuel bind can fix.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

There are a few outcomes to that. You can kill him. You can convince him to stop. You can convince him to leave but do nothing to talk him out of everything, which technically completes things but your mission list will make fun of you. "You let a serial killer go free. Way to go."

It's a fun challenge for that fifth replay, seeing just how many monstrous outcomes you can manage without completely losing your humanity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

double nine posted:

Considering nothing happens when your humanity hits 0, change the challenge to "keep humanity at 0 for as long as possible".

Huh, I never actually let my humanity hit 0 before, I took the game at face value that it'd be a pretty harsh complication. I think it's time for another replay!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's pretty great, thanks for the info. I love games that really play up the extreme ends of their morality meters instead of just doing some cosmetic poo poo and changing the endings or whatever, sounds like that replay will really be worth it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm replaying with that 8.9 patch and I am consistently blown away by the animations. Maybe it's been a while since I played this old game but I don't remember them being that good.

In my opinion the animations are this game's single greatest asset. Every character in a conversation feels like a unique individual and you can tell their personality and mood with the sound turned off, that's a real accomplishment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ilustforponydeath posted:

What race would be more interesting to play as out of gangrel, brujah and ventrue?

Option D, Tremere supremacy. Your character gets suave murder-gent outfits, you get that sweet pad downtown with some nice charms and such, and your powers are BLOOD WIZARDRY :unsmigghh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Of course not, they're too busy moving trash cans three feet to the left and re-enabling incomplete quests that were probably used as test mechanisms during development anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be fair, completely revamping the entire last third of the game would be an absurd and staggering amount of work that might not even be possible given apparently the beta engine that Bloodlines runs in is held together with spit and tape.

Sure and I think most people understand that, but I think most people wouldn't mind like, a blanket 30% reduction in hitpoints or something just to make it less of a slog.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Welp, now I need to get this soundtrack.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's probably an LA/Cali thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

I dunno. He didn't seem to be doing much else besides throwing up blood and getting shot by me. In fact, that seems to be what everyone does around me...

Sometimes their blood spontaneously jumps out of their arteries and flies to you for a quick pick-me-up like telekinetic Red Bull, isn't that neat?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chuck Finley posted:

Installed this game for the first time a couple of days ago and have been playing it quite a bit over the weekend and I gotta say, this is pretty great. The dialogue for characters is really well done and the responses are also pretty great.

I just got to a quest in Chinatown where you find this old Asian man at the Red Dragon restaurant and he tells you his sob story about being a hitman and how he worked with a partner and saved a ton of money in a box with two keys. He tells me to go over to the second Asian man, who sells people bullshit fortunes, and kill him for the key. My favorite moment in the game so far is it actually allows you to keep going back and forth between the two old dudes and your percentage of the total cut keeps increasing. Also, every time they increase the percentage they insult the other dude in some way (One guy straight up called the other dude a pedophile). Also the radio ads are pretty funny.

I can't believe I never found this before, sounds amazing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well poo poo, time for a replay.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sie posted:

Still chipping away at this and still thoroughly enjoying it. I ended up playing as a Tremere and have found Thaumaturgy incredible good fun.

Also, the game is ridiculously cheap in the Steam sale now.

Thaumaturgy friggin owns, it's my favorite discipline overall. BLOOD MAGIC :2bong: The Tremere Chantry is a swank pad too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Came to this thread for vampires, found the monsters in the dark :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sebmojo posted:

aggravated damage is no joke

I forget what series I saw this in but I loved the idea that damage taken from vampire weaknesses only heals at the rate of normal human metabolism and can scar and maim like common mortal injuries. That really wouldn't work in a videogame but it's fantastic flavor in a non-real time setting.

• Locked thread