Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Just got a job this summer as a clerk for a Class 1 railroad. It's pretty interesting stuff, and I'm not gonna lie, I bought Train Simulator to try and help teach myself what exactly train crews have to go through when it comes to switching and not exploding and other things I have to review paperwork about.

It's pretty neat having access to the different scanners and databases and seeing which cars are going where and seeing which railroads service which towns. Sucks being on the bottom of the seniority list though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

CP's laying off management right now, the blood gates are open. Cutting 4500 jobs by 2016. That's more than one in five jobs.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

How of a job is dispatching? Judging by the starting pay it sucks pretty bad/is hard but who knows.

All I know is that the dispatchers at work really appreciate it when they go to take their smoke break.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Speaking of managers yelling at people, I got to meet Hunter Harrison a couple weeks ago. I know his methods, but the guy is very charming. Hope it works out for CP.

Somebody told me that he's called the Seagull: "He swoops in somewhere, shits all over you, and flies away."

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

MrChips posted:

OK so I'm no foamer but I did notice something odd today.

I was out having lunch today when I saw a BNSF train (both power and rolling stock) on one of Canadian Pacific's main lines. My question is how common is it to see railroads sharing rights of way like this? I assume they just lease time or whatever on the track. Also, how do they handle crewing in a situation like that...in this case, would BNSF just hand off to a CP crew or would they use their own guys?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

Often times it's just a hand off to the other crew. We had CP guys running on NS power on some of our east coast tracks. Some of the managers would get upset because our crews would just take the NS paperwork for their trip and go instead of waiting for a list of the same cars with the CP logo on the top to be faxed to them.

Sometimes it is company A's crew on company B's track. I'd have to send hazardous material paperwork to some little shortline because we'd run on their track for a little less than a mile but still make sure they had all of our details in case we happened to derail there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

In either case, working a yard job guarantees a 8 hours paid regardless of how many hours you work? Railroad pay is confusing.

Not only yard jobs, works this way for union clerks and dispatchers at corporate too. Obviously they can't finish an actual physical task up and go home early, but if they're called in late to fill a hole they'll get their 8 hours no matter how many they actually worked.

Edit: To clarify, the union guys get overtime if they work over 8 hours. I think there were more managers putting "volunteer" hours in after the 8 now that Hunter Harrison runs the show

seal it with a kiss fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 14, 2013