Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Shampoo posted:

Maybe a geometry car?

That's Correct.

I have a little inside joke with myself about it.. my elementary school had an RV (and now a bluebird bus)parked next to the building that they use as an auxiliary classroom, mostly for remedial reading lessons and speech therapy. We called it the 'Reading Van'. So, the Geometry Car must be where the little railroaders go for trigonometry.

It goes without saying, I won't share this with the guys I work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

9axle posted:

If someone or something is fouling the tracks, you would brake immediately, but throwing the emergency brakes on creates the very real risk of causing a derailment, It looks like that is what happened to those 2 girls in MD. Every situation is different, but no engineer is going to intentionally try to blast their way through an obstruction on the tracks. The trouble starts because stopping distances are longer than sight distances. Railroad tracks and right-of-ways are private property. You aren't supposed to be on them anyway.

Not to take away from what you've said, but the derailment in MD was caused by a defect left in the track too long, vertical split head. Recommended action is to take out of service until joint bars applied, then limit to 30mph until the rail section is replaced. Since it was 25mph track, no slow order was put on it, no slow order = low priority and the defect was apparently left in for like 5 months.

It's such a constant battle for MOW to get track time to go out and fix things like this, I can at least understand why it hadn't been touched in so long. The roadmaster needed to grow some balls and put it out of service, transportation would have gotten pissed for sure, but look where we are now.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dick Diggler posted:

Wouldn't it be fairly simple to have a program account for the time delay in braking and have all the brakes be applied at the exact same time?

I've heard before that the railroad is like an operating museum, the brake technology you see out there working now was invented almost 150 years ago. I've been with the railroad 9 months and it's been very evident to me that nothing changes quickly out here, if at all.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"Some trackbed inspector is going to get their rear end kicked for that one."

"I cannot blow the whistle and I cannot ring the bell, but if that fucker jumps the track, look who catches hell."

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

I also read somewhere that CSX requires Amtrak to run two engines on the long routes so that if one craps itself the train can still proceed. That could be BS though.

Amtrak runs quite a few trains on CSX's Albany Division, but the only one I've seen with two engines is #48 running between NYC, Albany & Chicago. The regional trains running between NYC and Toronto, Albany & Boston only run a single engine, though they're only pulling about half the cars of #48. A regional breaking down on the main would pose just as big a headache as a long-haul, so I don't think it could be that.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Ah, CSX. The biggest collection of brilliant people who can't run a railroad.

Warren Buffet posted:

If I wanted to buy a circus, I'd invest in the Ringling Brothers.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

kastein posted:

Around here the usual nickname is Chemical Spill Express.

Apparently they own the tracks from Boston to Worcester,

This was correct up until last week; http://www.mass.gov/governor/pressoffice/pressreleases/2012/20121004-csx-agreement-finalized.html

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I was going to say, good luck talking the dispatcher into letting you take that work train out on the main to weld some joints or replace some rail. It's hard enough getting time to put a boom truck on the track, and you can always set those on and off at a convenient crossing. A covered work area would be nice for dropping thermite welds but overkill for anything else... didn't you know it's always 75 and sunny between the rails?

I can see it being put to good use on high-speed passenger rail though, usually trains can pass through a work area with men & equipment at no more than 25mph.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
They're called 'Snow Jets' at CSX and here's where they've got one stored at the yard in Selkirk. A little West down the track you'll see the huge kerosene tank that keeps it fed.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.57463,-73.863616&spn=0.000304,0.000431&t=h&z=21

Yes, they're more for blowing the ice & snow out of switch points and flangeways than anything else, though they've been used to push MOW carts across the yard from time to time..

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
While all of that is very true, guys from the craft (from what I've heard, this might be specific to Engineering) are by no means jumping over each other for a chance to get into management. Almost everyone I knew who had come up from the craft kept up on their union dues to preserve their seniority in the case they wanted to go back, and there were plenty of men who had done just that after they'd had enough of management.

Managers get a bit more vacation time, relocation assistance, use of a company vehicle, 401k matching and (maybe!) an end-of-year bonus, but they're also the first ones called when anything goes wrong and they'll own the problem until it's fixed. Being on salary means your hourly wage goes down the more hours you work, and the norm in the track department was 60-70 hours a week with plenty of weekends thrown in. Guys in the craft, protected by a union agreement, have the option of refusing overtime (outside of an emergency) and earn time and a half when they take it. After overtime was figured in, many of the track guys had earned by August what their managers would make the entire year.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Let one sit in a siding for too long and it'll get some.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Well, they do have hydraulic pullers that essentially close gaps in the rail by stretching it. A rail shrinker would be more appropriate for the greenhorn to fetch, gotta get those heat kinks out somehow.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Veins McGee posted:

2 train CSX derailment caused by a sinkhole underneath the tracks in Upstate New York, 2 non-lifethreatening injuries.

Holy poo poo, I covered for the Roadmaster of this very subdivision for about a month last August. This line is very, VERY busy with most trains running close to the track speed of 60/80mph. It's miraculous there was no loss of life, and thank god it wasn't an Amtrak coming through. The mainline tracks in NY are inspected at least every other day, and I can tell you personally that the inspectors of the Fonda sub are on the ball. The tracks themselves were in great shape last I came through, but the culverts I can't really speak to. Not much mud or standing water, anyway. The tracks run right along the Mohawk River, a sinkhole could have opened up from a hard rain coming down the hill... but inspectors are always required to patrol during/after a flood watch. I'm not in the area anymore, maybe a watch wasn't issued?

Not to bring E/N into this, but wrecks like this is what kept me up at night and ultimately led me to leave the railroad. It's an incredibly stressful and demanding career, the hours are long and the ramifications of your decisions are serious. I loved the work, but I did nothing else. It really takes a special kind of person to thrive in that environment.

e: tracks are pretty far from the river, but there's a culvert right there. There's also a crossover and a turnout pretty near the scene... very interested in knowing the true cause of this :ohdear:

NoWake fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 28, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My email is just my username at gmail, I spend 90% of the time lurking otherwise I'd spring for more forums goodies. I'm not what you would call "foaming at the mouth" for more information, I'm just interested in knowing the true cause when it's found out. Between T&E, MOW and Mechanical (locomotives & cars) it's like Larry Curly & Moe when it comes to accident investigation. Picked switch point? "Find me a thin flange!!" Broken rail? "Well it wouldn't have broken if the flat wheels didn't pound the poo poo out of it first!" Car ran through a retarder and out the other side of the bowl? "Clear case of bad train handling." As much as corporate wants to "break down silos" and get the departments working together better, nobody wants the blame or the shame come bonus time.

I was in training for the assistant roadmaster position for a year, and I spent it pretty much filling in for vacations and vacancies around the Albany division. I would agree that it's easier in the craft, just sit back, take orders and only deal with the one jerk barking down your phone. Labor gets paid handsomely for their overtime, while management puts in volunteer hours anything over 40. I might sound like I'm playing the world's smallest fiddle right now, but it's common for a track inspector to pass their boss's yearly salary by about September.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

quote:

Local Fire Chief Denis Lauzon said firefighters in a nearby community were called to a locomotive blaze on the same train a few hours before the derailment. Lauzon said he could not provide additional details about that fire since it was in another jurisdiction. Joe McGonigle, Montreal, Maine & Atlantic’s vice-president of marketing, confirmed the fire department showed up after the first engineer tied up and went to a local hotel. Someone later reported a fire.

“We know that one of our employees from our engineering department showed up at the same time to assist the fire department. Exactly what they did is being investigated so the engineer wasn’t the last man to touch that train, we know that, but we’re not sure what happened,” McGonigle said.

This is pretty damning evidence that somebody messed up here, the whole thing screamed sabotage up until this point. My conjecture is somebody thought they were doing the right thing by separating a burning locomotive from a trainload of hydrocarbons, but didn't realize the locomotives were a major part of keeping the train parked. I can't say I know the topography of the siding in question or where exactly the train was tied down, but if the rear of the train was headed downhill it could have easily defeated a few cars' worth of handbrakes applied at the head end.

A lot of times a train crew will leave the locomotives running until the next crew boards, so that the train line stays pressurized, brakes will stay applied, and the boarding crew doesn't have to wait around for pressure to build. It's a reasonable to assume that a weary crew at the end of their shift might take a shortcut and tie down using only a cursory number of hand brakes, since the running locomotives would have kept the service brakes on. Even if the engines were off, their handbrakes + their mass could have been on one side of razor's edge of keeping the train from moving.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Makes me glad I switched to being a dispatcher.

Though I dont think they will be amused while I pick my nose and flick the nose gold around. Or while I scratch myself. Or eat sunflower seeds.

But I can't read the paper any more......

How are you liking your new gig? It's nice to have someone in the tower who understands how things go out on the track. (Even better to have someone from the MOW side of things, hehe) It could be five miles between control points or it could be fifteen, and it's the same two inches on the dispatcher's screen. I swear some dispatchers acted like I was out in the bushes bird watching instead of booking it down the rails in the track truck.

About the cameras, it sounds from the article like the'll only start recording when an event triggers them; emergency brake dump, VTI hit, etc. I had a similar system in the tour bus I drove, it recorded continually front and back but only saved the 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after an event like a hard stop, a hit, or me hitting the big red button. As long as you didn't gently caress up, it may as well have not been there. I would hope there would be a union agreement on this saying managers couldn't just pull tapes at random or scrutinize a crew's entire shift... in that case, I'd find some fuzzy dice to hang in a key location.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I was pretty sure I was going to watch the guy's foot everything get cut off at 3:45 every 20 seconds.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Ahh just look at all those perfect rails and perfect ties :allears: Do any of the sims have MOW operations?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The closest thing I've seen to an electric freight line in the US is the Navajo Mine Railroad in New Mexico, it has a 14 mile run between the mine and the power plant and doesn't connect to anything else.
http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/navajo.html

Other than that, before diesels were on the scene, electric helper engines were used in the 5-mile-long Hoosac Tunnel in NW Mass, so the crew wouldn't be asphyxiated during the trip through the tunnel.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

bisticles posted:

Here's a picture of a choo choo I took this morning:

Highland, NY, across from Poughkeepsie, heading North at 9:08am

Ahh, the River line.

Here are a few less than stellar shots from across the river, I took these on some of the last inspection runs before the line was sold to Amtrak.

Some of the only Class 6 rail on the CSX system, good for 110mph.

Magical Mystery Tunnel to!!... 45 feet down the line.

Southbound! 90-100mph pass. This is why you repeat your authority to the dispatcher then check a compass to make sure you're setting on the correct track. Pucker factor: Maximum.

Another run, this time with the track geometry car. This is the viewing platform in TGC-2 (Track Geometry Car #2) looking out upon the majesty of Selkirk Yard

5' x 12' window with amazing views of the track... and this was my view for the day.
We had two tracks to test, and since the TGC only tests in one direction we had to double back to the start... but since there was no wye available for the train, and a shove movement can only do 10-15 while a pull can do 45, we decided to leave some extra power hanging off the back end all day.. which messed up our geometry readings for sure. :downsgun:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Captain Postal posted:

Sorry, but this sounds like complete bullshit. Aircraft have to fly no matter what time they show up, and flights can't be cancelled, but they make it work. It's certainly very hard and requires whole new branches of mathematics and optimisation algorithms to be invented, but if the government/industry/company decides that crew rest MUST be met- no exceptions- it can be solved.

I think one of the biggest causes of fatigue, and BrokenKnucklez touched on it, is not that mandated rest periods aren't being met, but that the trains are so unpredictable that crews don't have any semblance of a normal sleep schedule. Every day is a swing shift. It's easy enough for a trainmaster to meet a 10-hour rest mandate, you simply put the guys who just got off their train on a do-not-call list for 10 hours. After 10 hours off and 6-8 of them sleeping, it's not too tough to get up and get back to work and do it safely for another 8 or 12 hours. What happens more often than not though, you don't get a call for 18 hours, and by then you've already woken up once and spent a whole day's worth of time awake and doing stuff around the house with your family because by god you're actually there for once.

If you're off at 5pm, you can expect your two hour call as soon as 3am the next day.. or maybe noon. Or 3pm. or 10pm. Do you go right to bed once you get home, or do you try to spend time with your family because you're actually there when they're home and awake? Let's say you're in bed by 7pm, 8 hours goes by and you're awake by 3am. You get up, watch some TV, maybe go out to the 24-hour grocery store or take the dog for a walk, maybe see if the wife is interested in messing around. 7am comes around and the sun comes up, you take the kids to school and at 9am you decide to mow the lawn or mess around in the garage or whatever. At 1pm you decide to take a little siesta, still no call. At 3:30 your kids come home from school, and at 4:30 your son has a track meet at the school across town and your wife will divorce the poo poo out of you if you stay home and don't show up. It's now 6pm and you get your two hour call while you're in the stands at the meet, you've been up for 13 of the last 15 hours while being legally OK for service since you've been "resting" for the past 24.

I've spent some time riding in the brakeman's chair on the head end of intermodal trains scouting out mud spots in the track for future work... even with a normal shift and sleep schedule, I found it frighteningly easy to nod off in the cab when there's not much to look at besides trees, track, signals, mileposts and mud. The guys made fun of me for a bit after they watched me unsuccessfully trying to fight it off for an hour.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 5, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Especially Ichabod, or ICH as he writes sometimes. The man is simply a legend. I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias or that his work is distinct and more legible than most, but I found it wasn't out of the ordinary to see 10-20 of his cars come through the yard on a given day. I would also take a mental tally of chalkings I'd see from from writers like whistle blower, IMUGLY and Colossus of Roads.. hobo chalk is like the pre-war version twitter, and I find it endlessly interesting.

The graffiti is definitely one of my favorite things about the railroad besides the work itself. I'm not talking about lazy tags from a bored teenager who happened to find a can of spray paint, but the pieces that took considerable planning, effort, creativity and skill. In a bleak environment of steel, stone, splinters, grease, dust, speed and noise, the graffiti is a dynamic and fleeting reminder of the human element. It's almost like an organic growth.. I swear that you could leave a box car parked on the moon, and within a month the bottom 3 feet would be covered in tags.

You can call it vandalism if you like, and the artists will always be trespassers, but at the end of the day it's still just paint on the side of railcar. As long as the reporting marks and placards aren't covered up, it can still do its job of carrying cargo for the railroad just as well. I would actually prefer to see graffiti up on something mobile rather than a fence or a wall in my neighborhood, and I'm sure the artists get a kick out of the nationwide exposure they get for their work.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question: do train tracks follow the usual highway practice of driving with your right hand toward the outside of the tracks, or is there any convention at all?

Since trains run under the authority of a central dispatch, there isn't really a need for lane convention in double track areas though the FRA does stipulate that trains run on the right side track. Exceptions would be passing sidings, upcoming industry sidings on the left, passing other traffic, avoiding slow orders, or tracks blocked off for maintenance/inspection. The engineer's controls are on the right side of the cab, if that was part of your question.

Tracks are identified as track 1, track 2, track 3 etc. from the north track -> south track and the east track -> west track. Note that this follows "timetable north" and "timetable east" and not geographical north or east, as tracks will snake back, forth, and sometimes up and over each other like they do here and here. This is why it's extremely vital to be qualified on your territory before you're allowed to operate anything on it, you want to know when and where to expect your crossings, signals, crossovers, and you sure as hell wouldn't want to set a maintenance vehicle down on the wrong track.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ale45XeMYwg

It looks more like "docking" than coupling. (I'm so very sorry)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Screw PTI. I swear they were part of the problem for most of the melt downs we had on the north south (and even east west overland route).

It snows a loving inch and its Well its unsafe, but we are going to send airport taxis to remote locations where they have no clue to go.

South end of Buckeye siding? Wheres the tracks? Wheres Buckeye, IA?

I can't believe they get around as well as they do in those Chrysler minivans, you'd think with all the trips they take down the ROW they'd be equipped with 4x4's... or at least snow tires in the winter because you know, driving is their loving job.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
An extra crew had to be called to come up from Syracuse to drive a rail train out of Watertown, the rail train requires 6 MOW guys to unload it. Got confirmation at 6am that the crew was on their way, and I had my guys in place and ready to go at 8am.

"How in the hell is it almost 9 and you're just getting in now? You guys were on the clock at 6am, Syracuse to Watertown only takes an hour and you should have reviewed your orders along the way."

"Well you see, the traffic was kinda bad then the van driver needed to stop for gas and go to the bathroom.."

Turns out the PTI driver did indeed need to get gas, and since McDonalds was right there, he might as well stop for some coffee and to read the paper. Ain't the crew's fault, not their place to tell him how to do his job! Meanwhile 150/hr of manpower sits idle because it's cool to get some breakfast on the clock.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

smackfu posted:

We have some smaller roads around here where the train tracks just have a stop sign protecting them, and very infrequent trains, in a fairly populated area. People pretty much just roll through the stops.

If they actually run a train on that line, what kind of procedures do they use?

Two long whistles, a short whistle, and a long whistle, repeated until the lead locomotive occupies the crossing. Honestly that's all they'd need to do.

If the crossing however was equipped with lights and gates and the crew got a report that they weren't working, the train would have to stop for the conductor to get out and flag the lead engine across.

Engineers aren't out to hit anybody on purpose and in the case of this line, they'd probably know about the hazards and be doing 10mph or under. My college campus was bisected by a rail line that led to a grain silo, stops signs at each crossing, and we'd get maybe 2 trains a month during harvest season. The trains would c-r-a-w-l through campus with horns blaring, but that didn't stop a kid's jeep from getting pushed down the tracks one year and a minivan the next.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
• Got to haul some tanks
• Unavoidable collision, crew wasn't at fault
• Nobody got hurt
• Get a couple days R&R at the tail end of May
• Lifetime supply of trail mix

Paperwork aside, seems like a drat fine day to be a trainman.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
IANA Engineer but I do believe you have to come to a complete stop, (which depletes the trainline pressure and pressure in the individual cars' reservoirs) walk the train setting hand brakes sufficient to hold it, wait to build trainline pressure back up as well as fill up each cars' reservoir --- It's a little murky where you go from there, but I'm sure you can pull up the hill with brakes applied. and I'll leave the operating rules to you!

Probably not a good practice to park on a hill (especially for :supaburn: reasons)

NoWake fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 2, 2014

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I know the railroads can't clean up everything, but it was really sad to look at.

Railroads are in the transportation business, not in the making things pretty business. Sure, there was tons of trash all over the embankments in every populated area we ran through, but unless clearing it out would make us money somehow, it would never ever happen. In fact, just going out there to clean it up would take months of equipment & manpower away from building and maintaining track.

It was funny, though, when there was word that the CEO or chief engineer was coming through on an inspection train, we in M.O.W. would get the directive to level every pile of ballast, hide every spare tie, and take every plug rail that had been laid strategically at joints to be welded back to the material yard. Gotta make the track look pretty!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Most of the railroads will contract out their used tie disposal, it would be better to find out who they use and contact them. The contractor could even sort them by grade, from ones that could be used in retaining walls to ones destined for the wood chipper. A&K Materials comes to mind. Please don't use these to line your garden, unless you like creoso-tomatos.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

heyou posted:

Saw something interesting on a parked CSX train last week.

Those are automatic ballast unloaders, they get pulled down the track at about 5mph and will unload ballast at specific points along the track based on GPS coordinates scouted out beforehand. Good for when you have a mile or so where you're trying to refresh the ballast.

e: Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SKJcRk8zw&t=38s

NoWake fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 7, 2014

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is that engineers and conductors, or anyone else in the industry? Just asking as my friend's husband is a ramp supervisor with BNSF. They're young yet though.

Basically, everybody in the railroad industry is subject to a workplace where "You are not done until the job is done." Exceptions might be diesel mechanics/carmen/other terminal workers who can count on someone to relieve them at the end of their shift. Track workers have a nominal 7a-3:30p workday, but if it hits 3:30 and you don't have the track back together, ain't nobody coming in to finish your work for you. Plus, you can still get called out to the track in the middle of the night to take care of an emergency, let's say an insulated joint goes out or a tree branch falls over the tracks in a storm.

The further you go up the seniority roster, the better runs you're assigned or better duties you're given. With management, you'll get more and more insulated from needing to put out the day-to-day fires. However, this could take a decade or more to happen for you, if it happens at all.

I spent a year and a half as a track supervisor and decided not to stick with it, it was a tough decision to make since I had a passion for my work and was doing pretty well for myself. The thing was, I did nothing else. I stopped taking care of myself, lost contact with most of my friends, my relationship fell apart and I couldn't sleep without waking up in a panic every few hours. I could see where my life was headed from my peers in my position, who had been with the railroad 3, 5, 10, and 25 years. Ulcerative colitis at 27, diabetes at 35, lung cancer at 50 and a heart attack before retirement.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've read that rails were originally made of wood, with strips of iron nailed on top. Back in those days though, trains were still pulled by mules or pushed along the track with poles like barges.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BNSF police spokesman Gus Melonas posted:

"There's a demand for this product, and as a common carrier, we're obligated by law to move it,"

You could run 10 oil trains an hour through my town all day every day and I would not give a poo poo, as long as the tracks and equipment are impeccably inspected and maintained (impossible under constant traffic, but I digress..) and the train crews and dispatchers are well-rested and on top of their game.

Railroads have an obligation to carry the product, and they have an obligation to their shareholders to operate at a profit. They also have an obligation to not torch my neighborhood or kill my rear end by way of gross negligence. When you start getting greedy and cutting corners, or finding creative ways to both save the company money & maximize employee productivity, you start getting dangerously close to the limits of what human perfection can achieve.

~Story time~
I worked in a hump yard with 60 inert (non-powered, "always on") retarders at the back end of the bowl, and each of these retarders was to be inspected and adjusted every quarter. The job took two men and a track truck with an air compressor, an empty track in the yard, and appropriate protection from the tower. On a good day the guys could inspect 3-4 of them, or properly adjust two. On a bad day, the tower wouldn't give you any clear tracks to work on, or you'd come to a retarder loaded with so much poo poo from the garbage trains that rolled through that you'd spend half the time shoveling it clear of the springs.

I figured that if we brought on a pair of track guys dedicated to inspecting and adjusting the retarders day-in, day-out, we'd be able to have these things knocked out each and every quarter easy-peasy with time to spare. "Not in the budget" was the answer to that from on high, even though our track office at the time was pared down to less men than we had trucks for.

A few days later, almost as if on cue, the hump sent a loaded grain car down an empty ally and it skated on past the retarder, then tried to share a track with four empty corn syrup tankers. gently caress You because the hump should have known better than to send a loaded car down an empty track. gently caress ME because that retarder hadn't been touched since way before I'd gotten there, and the squeeze strength ended up being a few hundred PSI below minimum spec. Four totaled (empty) tankers, 20 yards of torn up track including 2 switches, and daily wages for 8 track workers plus 5 hours overtime apiece.. I wonder if the total for this is more or less than the cost of employing two extra track workers for a year?

After going on the weight-loss plan of getting my rear end chewed out, the division had a renewed interest in getting all the retarders in the hump yard inspected and adjusted. We even ended up getting two of the worst ones replaced! The division also had the idea of adding additional retarders to the opposite rails to double the retarding force of each section.. which would then double the amount of retarders for us to check and adjust each quarter. A pair of retarders would wear out just as fast as a single, so no benefit there. Not sure if that ended up happening.

So, while we stole a few guys from other projects on the section and were working on the retarders more than we ever had, the hump sent a string of fully-loaded flat cars down the hill and into the side of a remote-controlled switcher. Fatality assured if there had been someone standing on the running boards. Railroad maintenance - why spend a dollar now when you can spend ten down the line?

NoWake fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 3, 2014

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Scheduled on-call may cut down on your potential weekly earnings, but would do wonders for your quality of life by giving you a resting period you could count on.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
A lot of Maintenance-Of-Way vehicles are special built for one specific purpose, can cost up to seven figures, but will do a month's worth of track work in a day. (given proper track time) That engine you see could have come off the shelf from anywhere, most likely re-built from the ground up with brand-new guts.

I honestly don't know anything about that contractor's equipment, but this rail inspection car was built on a chassis dating back to 1915.. http://youtu.be/kqEnWOgcUr0

The control cabs and crew's quarters on the interior looked like they'd been built by a highschool's shop class.. but ugly gets the job done just as well.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 26, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
From the videos I've seen of cars stuck in crossings, people treat the gates as impenetrable barriers and just throw their hands in the air. There was one I saw where a lady stopped to lift it over her car before she drove through, likely what this person was attempting to do in this case.

e: the second hit for 'car stuck on crossing' and it's a different one than I'd seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI6urtS9Oxc&t=20s

NoWake fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 4, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

ijustam posted:

Don't the gates go up if they run into pretty much any resistance?

You might be thinking of a garage door, or a gate at a toll booth or a parking lot. I can't imagine a railroad crossing's failure mode being anything other than "gate is down, crossing is closed until further notice". Having the gates go back up after hitting something wouldn't stop the approaching train, even if it did trip a signal. In addition, many drivers will treat a gate going up as a green light regardless of what the bells and lights are doing, and it's likely the next driver in line would set themselves right on the crossing too.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Their message must have gotten lost in translation, I thought it was some reverse-psychology from the National Safety Council. "Go ahead, jump in front of that train or take a swim across the shipping canal, there are people out there who could use your organs."

Frankly, if I were waiting on a heart transplant, I'd love for it to come from someone that athletic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Insurance Site posted:

Figure 1 to the left is a view of a rail failure that occurred at the lead truck (front wheels) of a diesel locomotive on a private rail siding.

Fortunately, main lines are tested continuously by companies like Sperry which has ultrasonic equipment that would pick up a crack well before it got to the stage like you see in the picture. If any cracks are found, depending on the type of crack and severity, the tracks are slow ordered or put out of service until the rail is replaced. Private tracks, especially industrial sidings with low speeds, I doubt they get much more than a visual check every quarter or so. The base and the web at the break are pretty rusted, so that crack had been progressing for quite a while.