Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I like trains. I always have and I always will. They're just really cool. Huge powerful machines moving tons of freight and people around, there's just something so very cool about that. I've always loved them since I was a kid, always been in model railroading and stuff like that too. Everything from steam trains to electrics. So I figured I'd yap about some of my favorite trains for a while. Other people can join in too if they feel like it.

First is this little know fellow, the Union Pacific M-10000.

This was the first streamliner in the U.S. Also one of the early uses of articulate cars in the U.S. And it just looks cool.

No train thread would be complete without mention of the largest steam train of them all, the Union Pacific Big boy. Built to haul coal over mountains, and look drat cool. When it was first designed they had a few problems with the sheer size of it, namely going around corners. So they had to design it so that the sets of wheels with the pistons were somewhat articulated. Had they not used this it would have simply been too long to go around any curve.

Another one of my favorite diesels, the Santa Fe Super Chief. No real reason for liking it. It's just cool. It's also kinda fun to image what taking a ride on one of these trains would be like. Ah for the days of the classy train ride :allears:

So lets see what the other train fanatics of AI have to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My favorite is the PRR's GG-1 (pictures when Waffle is working again).

80' and 215 tons of electrically powered double-ended awesome with a top speed of a hundred miles an hour while pulling a poo poo load of carriages.

Yes. I was going to include this in the OP, but I briefly forgot the name of it. Such a great powerful train, and a kickass design too!

Anyways, my favorite modern train has to be Amtrak's Genesis Engine. No particular reason for this either, just kinda like the look of it. When I was a kid I always wanted to find a model version of this. Took me a few years but I finally found one a show.

Here's another thread necessity, the classic American Engine, the 4-4-0. The train that built the West.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kathmandu posted:

At the risk of being a spergoid, that locomotive is an EMD F7. The Super Chief is the name of the entire passenger train consist, cars and all, that locomotive and probably three others pulled from Chicago to Los Angeles

Yeah, I know, but it's the more commonly known name for the entire line of trains. Plus I needed an excuse to use that picture.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 7, 2011

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Road_Warrior posted:

Here's a neat vid of the soon-to-be-released 2011 Ford Ranger pulling an R-class locomotive out of its shed in Victoria:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FordAPA#p/u/10/OPMgfdKCeZA

Ahhh, what have they done to ya Ranger? What have they done?

That being said, have another Shay. These things always look so cool. And the fact they they're supposed to be navigating hastily built narrow gauge railways through mountains and other rough terrain.

And while we're talking about Trains, can we talk about awesome rail lines?
I love the way some of these look. Like Horseshoe Curve. One of the busiest rail areas in the country, and just looks pretty amazing. This was so important that they Nazis actually had plans to destroy it during the War.

And then there's Tegachapi Loop. Something that I never knew existed outside of model rail roads. They track loops over itself. Leading to trains crossing over themselves. Wierd

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ferremit posted:

This thread caused me to buy Railworks2 on steam...

If you don't mind a crappy looking game, Trainz is a lot of fun too. Plus the content is free and you can build your own stuff too. I find it to be great since I'm terrible at models and those are expensive as well.

If nothing else it's fun to build a mile high mountain and run a train off of it. :shobon:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

LobsterboyX posted:

more:

Quoting this from a long time ago, but dammed if that train doesn't look like it's going to fall over standing still.

Also HO Scale 4 lyfe. :whatup:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

On the subject of weird crossing, here's one in Taveres.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...6,0.002411&z=19

Why yes, that is a crossing going through a roundabout. And yes, the tracks do run down the center of the street. They do have some very heavy duty steel guardrails around the tracks though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Speaking of railroad employment opportunities, I'm looking to change jobs, and was wondering if anyone knew if any of the railroads were hiring in the central Florida area.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Saw this on Yahoo earlier today. Skip to about :40 to see a twister take out a train.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fierce-tornados-caught-on-tape-in-midwest-25695965

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Falkenbok posted:

Who likes a good exhaust fire/turbo oil seal failure? You do? You're in luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStjNHvys2M

I don't think anything failed there. That's just how the trains run in Russia if this thread is anything to go by.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

NightGyr posted:

Holy poo poo...

How does anyone have eardrums after that?

I certainly don't after listening to that on headphones. :gonk:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

Well, here's a section of abandoned track that has some trestles on it still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7buTCULLeY

Those are really cool and I want one now.

Also saw THIS in the related video section. Any of you railroad guys can explain what's going on here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCU2GhG8zE

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 24, 2013

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Where is it in relation to the old train station / current farmer's market in Winter Park? That's where my brother got married, and it's a beautiful space but a bit rustic.

Right on top of it/across the street from it respectively. If that's shot at the angle I think it is, the farmer's market is behind the train.

Also, sup fellow Orlando goon. :respek:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Good grief, after reading all this it's hard to believe British Rail has survived as long as it has.
Also after reading this it feels like Thomas the Tank Engine was meant to be viewed as a serious documentary on the state of British Rail. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

R-Type posted:

I've never been that stupid. Used to walk on the one that crosses Lake Houston out over the lake about 300 yards, but either side was 8' from the water that was 12-20' deep. Those women were facing an 80' drop... Why in the hell would walk out to the center of a fucklong train bridge escapes me.

Well it happened in the movies and everything turned out fine! What could possibly go wrong? :downs:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

smackfu posted:

If anyone else is curious what NASA is pulling around:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/railroad.html

Every time I went to Playa Linda there I wondered what they used all those tracks for, and now I know!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've been looking for a good read on the history and operation of Britsh Rail.

Thanks!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Swimming pool in a train, what could go wrong?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Tis the sad truth:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't know if there a model railroading thread that'd be better suited to this, but I just a model I've been hunting g for for a while, and I must post.

I've been really fascinated by geared steam engines lately, especially since playing Railroads online. I just there'd something very cool about the look of them, they way they work, all the moving parts, etc...

The Climax engines are especially cool to me, and I've been looking for this model for a while.

I've been trying to back into modeling, and especially here in the PNW, I though it'd fun to try and do a narrow gauge logging style railroad.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kathmandu posted:

That’s a nice looking locomotive. I’m not aware of a better model railroading thread, so please, post away. Are you thinking to build indoors or outdoors?

I’m lucky enough to have a huge basement under a sprawling ranch house, and my wife has graciously ceded about 1200 SQFT (110 m2) for me to build a model railroad. I’m doing the Chicago and Northwestern in HO, from Chicago to Geneva. So far all I’ve got done is the lower-level staging yard. Hell, maybe I’ll post pics of my progress if people want.

This will be my first foray into outdoor railroading. I've got a bunch of HO stuff I've used and need to re-set up once the basement is suitable for such use, buy the focus on that one has always been a bit more modern stuff. Lots of diesel, and electric stuff.

This one though I'd like focus exclusively on steam, preferably late 1800s to early 1900s era stuff, and narrow gauge if possible. And I figure if I'm going to make something outdoors, I'd like to have some fun with it. I'd like to include a pond and area for a bridge, and lots of live plants. One of the local nurseries here has these really nice outdoor bonsai pine trees that'd be awesome for a little logging camp area.

I've got a few trains and cars, and a pretty good length of track, switches, etc... that once it gets nice enough to consistently be outside here I'll get to work on.
The Climax was one engine I'd really been wanting though, and was super happy to score that. I'd like to try to find a 2-6-0 Mogul of similar quality, but G scale stuff be expensive yo.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well I didn't realize there were so many model railroading here.

I might as well show off the rest of my current collection.

I mostly just got stuff on display here, the rest of my HO stuff is at my parents house in another state, but I'd eventually like to get another HO Layout going.

Here's some more G scale stuff sitting until I can get my full layout completed

And yes, I bought the little Porter engine entirely because of RailRoads Online.

And the rest of my stuff:

The big 4-6-0 I really don't like that much compared to the other stuff. It's part of the Big Haulers line and is really more of a toy, and has significantly poorer build quality and materials than the rest of the stuff.

Still though, it looks nice from a distance at least.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

There was an auction at a concrete yard here last year, and they had a whole quonset with a huge train set-up. They had some locomotives that went for over $1k, i couldn't believe it.

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscmo/catalogue-id-bscmo10125/search-filter?categoryCode=RCE

I can believe it, especially if it's one of the higher end models. A lot of the big stuff, or the really high end stuff gets insanily e pensive real fast.

Hell, that Climax I posted earlier normally goes for like $600-$800, and I guess I managed to find someone on Ebay who didn't know what they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh Yeah, live steam models easily get into 4K+ territory.

I thought at one point that'd be something that be fun to have, but bounced off that idea once I started seeing engines going for like 5K.