Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Melton Mowbray and Kings Cross could be either eastern states of Australia or the UK... except that the Melton Mowbray is in Tasmania and Kings Cross is in NSW so it's probably the UK after all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

N is the best because you can have something vaguely approximating real towns, yards and main/branch lines.

HO is cool for its detail, scale and cost but even the largest home layouts look horribly cramped.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

In other rail nerdery, Railroad Tycoon 2 plays perfectly on Windows 7 and I have been putting a ridiculous number of hours into it since getting it on Steam a few months back for $5. You can even make RRT3 work on 7, even though Steam says it's not compatible.

I keep wanting to get one of the more modern games, for those of you have tried the more recent offerings, is Railworks2 the better choice? (over Trainz or MSTS?)

I can't speak for sims, but if you like the RRT games then a more "casual" version of those is Sid Meier's Railroads! It's a bit light and definitely unrealistic, but perfect for a game where you pick it up for a quick 30-45 minute game and crush the computer with your perfectly optimised railway system.

It's really designed for multiplayer pickup games of which I've only managed to get one going but it was great fun.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BlackShadow posted:

Seriously though, here in Queensland we have idiot road drivers. So much so, that the government has decided to start installing red light cameras on certain level crossings that pose the highest risk.

Same here in WA, they've installed two so far at the most worrying intersections.
Believe it or not, they actually had to put in an extra (third) boom gate as well to presumably stop people dodging through.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Transperth went for the cutesy angle instead.
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTransperth/NurseryRhymes.aspx

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/15021656/power-lines-down-in-train-chaos/

quote:

Passengers endured a terrifying few minutes when a downed power line crashed into their city-bound train this morning, slamming against a window and sending people ducking for cover as they feared the windows could smash.

The power line and supporting poles were ripped out as the Joondalup line train continued along the track for about a kilometre after becoming tangled in the line.

Debris showered vehicles travelling along the freeway.

This started an argument on IRC.
Without mains power, could the train apply dynamic brakes? My argument was that they'd need live power to drive the fans to cool the resistor banks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hah, I prefer N scale myself because it always seems to me you can actually have proper lines and geometry in a reasonable amount space.

An uncle in law has a fancy new HO scale layout and even though it takes up most of the room there's only enough space for an elongated oval more and the engine with a few carriages takes up slightly less than half of the total length of the line.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

McDeth posted:

Oh look another truck driver not paying attention. Shocking.

We just had yet another level crossing "accident" in Australia. Each time there are renewed calls for upgrading rural level crossing around the nation, same old etc. etc. This time was no different,

except it later was found out that there *were* boom gates at this rural crossing and the truck driver just barreled through those as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Also known as the weirdest level in Wolf:ET, yeah.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The episode of that show where they moved a Big Boy (successfully) was pretty cool, too.

Something weird about seeing a huge engine driving on roads with a shitload of rubber tyres propelling it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm in Denver at the moment and went to see Big Boy 4005 in the transport museum today.
It was pretty good, but unfortunately it's basically impossible to get a nice shot of because there's nowhere to stand back far enough.

It was a pretty decent museum but be warned - if your interest is mainly locos and not so much cars, motorbikes and old-timey bicycles then it's probably not worth the admission.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That was it! They moved to a new building though, so I assume it used to be even dodgier. Some of the wax figures are still pretty creepy though!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Illinois Railway Museum trip report.

It's good and not too expensive; I had a good time.
Unfortunately it is out in Union IL, and the roads are pretty crappy to get there.
Secondly, it used to be an electric railway museum and the collection reflects that. The steamers are all in a single shed stacked head to toe, and half of them are all Northerns.

Still, they have their own line and regularly run trains up and down it, and riding on them is free with admission. It would be much better to visit when the whole line is running with steam, as opposed to half the line (closed for filming) with an electric subway car.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Oh and talking of crazy locos in general the IRM also has the Union Pacific turbine locomotive which was nice to see (and it's freaking huge.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can't you just use normal earbuds underneath full size earpro?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The boom gates on our level crossings are built much tougher than those flexible poles in that video. We only have two gates per crossing though except on certain spots which have too high a rate of people driving around them.

darknrgy posted:

There's a crossing near me that people get "stuck" on every single time I drive through there at rush hour because they didn't wait for the far side to clear. This is a crossing where Amtrak blows by at what looks like about 60 mph. I concluded that there must be different speed restrictions for rush hour because otherwise there'd be a fatality every other day.

There's definitely a severe speed restriction on my commuter line between two certain stations because of a notoriously "dangerous" level crossing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was going to take the Ghan once but realised I would not able to to pack near enough drugs and booze to survive 3000 kilometres of boredom and unwashed backpackers.

Stay out of economy, duh.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Why does everyone who sees something cool happen in front of them not know how to use their phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cygni posted:

the end made me lol

I was hoping that the boom gate would bop the tractor on the top of the air deflector. Ah well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

They rebuilt one of our stations near a level crossing as two platforms, one on either side of the boom gates. Not a bad idea, though of course a bridge would always be better.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I was 100% expecting one of them to be crushed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The American version looked much cooler, but only made it to nine episodes and drat near sank the network.

I've heard of broad gauge, but this is ridiculous!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

How long was that boom gate down that the cops were there stopping traffic but nobody dragged it out of the way with a tie-down?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

This was a lengthy video, but it held my interest the entire time. Very fascinating stuff to someone that knows the basics of steam locomotives, or even someone that doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx9Q8PphAVo

Did they use a recirculation pump back in the day, or just rely on convection currents?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Save money on tunnelling costs by only requiring ˝ the volume!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Conclusion on the Pilbara train accident:

quote:

I am pleased to advise that this week we have safely returned to full rail operations with ore flowing to the port 10 days after the intentional iron ore train derailment south of Port Hedland.
We have also completed our preliminary internal investigation into the derailment incident.
Our initial findings show the train came to a stop after a braking system control cable became disconnected. The train began to move after the driver had disembarked to carry out an inspection, becoming what is termed a “rollaway” train. The train was then derailed intentionally, because it could not be brought to a stop with the braking system. This decision was made with safety as the highest priority. The driver was unharmed and no-one sustained any injuries as a result of the incident.
The preliminary internal investigation sought to understand why the rollaway occurred, and why the train could only be brought to a stop by derailment.
Our initial findings show that the emergency air brake for the entire train was not engaged as required by the relevant operating procedure. In addition, the electric braking system that initially stopped the train, automatically released after one hour while the driver was still outside. Due to an integration issue with the backup braking system, it failed to stop the train.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Bush asked if he could drive that locomotive, he was given a quick lesson and did take it out for a spin.

I choose to believe this is true.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ATSB report for the Pilbara runaway is out.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-018/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Tired: converting steam locomotives from coal to oil
Wired: converting steam locomotives from coal to electricity http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

Hopefully they will invent an engine that uses linear motors to drive pistons so we can get proper reciprocal locomotion instead of boring DC motors.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

I think the rod driven electric locomotives replicate the important cool parts well.

Yep, that's the future I want to live in. :kiss:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

iospace posted:

If we're going to bring steam back, gently caress it, we might as well use fission to heat the water instead of coal.

No?

Ok.

They did design that! There's an article a few pages back about it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I sit down and play Sid Meier's Railroads with my kids.
Nice bright big graphics and a train table mode.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Remember to back out after paying. Remember to back out after paying. Remember to back out after paying. Remember to back out after paying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I was so disappointed when the railset didn't roll down the incline at full gravity speed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It seems a bit bananas to use this accident as a reason to ban roll on-roll off.
What if it had been a passenger train? Ban mass transit?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

If you want to lay down track and watch trains go while also having some sort of goal to work towards rather than being pure sandbox, but don't really care about accuracy driving the trains (there's a first-person view but no attempt is made to simulate controls, etc), in-dev openttd spiritual sequel Mashinky is lots of fun.

I would also recommend Sid Meier's Railroads!
It's a flawed game but still my favourite for just spending 30-60 minutes connecting cities and running production chains.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Reminder that there are only 26 blimps in total around the world right now

How many dirigibles?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That tug of war against the different sizes of traction engines looks so fun. I wish our ag shows did interesting things like that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Locomotive Insanity: Pooping at FL000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've read that story; the modern engine breaks down so the old steam engine has to haul it and the carriages all the way to the end of the line.