Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those Metro North trains are pretty darn new too. Maybe a year old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

McDeth posted:

I think that if you're driving a truck filled with dangerous chemicals and end up getting hit by a train, your drivers license should be revoked permanently. I mean, it's not that hard to avoid getting hit by a train...
I think the truck was just carrying trash, and the train had the chemicals. If that makes a difference.

From the video, it just seems like a case of everyone getting a little too comfortable with an uncontrolled rail crossing. 99.9% of the time, there will either be a train there already, or no train coming. Just that 0.1% of the time where there's no train just yet is where the accidents come from.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently the train was left overnight and somehow rolled into town and then derailed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Video of that Spain wreck:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o32nxuHshv4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Do32nxuHshv4

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ijustam posted:

What do the train engineers do if there's no signal? Just... stop and phone it in? Or do you have to crawl along at 5mph, communicating with dispatch about block activity?

Just happened on Metro North a few days ago: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/metro-north-power-outage-forced-50-trains-stop-thursday-due-human-error-article-1.1590344

quote:

The technicians unplugged a unit that supplied power to computers controlling train signals remotely from Grand Central Terminal so they could replace the equipment. But they didn’t check to ensure that a second power supply unit was fully connected to keep the computers running, officials said.

That “destabilized” the power supply system and required dispatchers to direct trains to inch toward the nearest station or safe juncture — and wait. Riders were stuck on trains or at stations for two hours before the railroad slowly got back on track.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have some smaller roads around here where the train tracks just have a stop sign protecting them, and very infrequent trains, in a fairly populated area. People pretty much just roll through the stops.

If they actually run a train on that line, what kind of procedures do they use?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That is awesome, but holy poo poo that track is pretty beat.

Makes me wonder, do the lines that only get used for heritage steam trains tend to be better or worse in terms of maintenance?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

We have some smaller roads around here where the train tracks just have a stop sign protecting them, and very infrequent trains, in a fairly populated area. People pretty much just roll through the stops.

If they actually run a train on that line, what kind of procedures do they use?

I got some good answers on this when I originally asked, but I did manage to finally see a train, so I have a firsthand report.

They go incredibly slow (like 5 mph) and lay on the horn. The end.

Also, this train had three locomotives and three cars, which seemed extremely excessive. I guess they were just using the extra two locomotives around.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ijustam posted:

I know NASA uses buffer cars to reduce the amount of weight on bridges. This way there isn't a ton of strain on any one point and the weight is more distributed.

If anyone else is curious what NASA is pulling around:

quote:

For nearly three decades, the NASA Railroad at Kennedy Space Center in Florida has kept the space shuttle's solid rocket boosters on track.

The mighty boosters fly in pairs and generate a combined 5.3 million pounds of thrust at ignition, pushing the shuttle assembly past the grip of Earth's gravity during the critical first two minutes of flight. Stacked within each of the 15-story-tall, reusable boosters are four solid rocket motor segments packed with a hard, rubbery cocktail of propellants.

Getting the 12-foot-wide, 150-ton segments to the launch site is only possible by rail. The segments are loaded by manufacturer ATK at a plant in Promontory, Utah, then shipped in customized train cars on a seven-day trip to Kennedy.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/railroad.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We took the train from Portland to Seattle a couple of months ago. $50 or so for two and it took three hours. Very convenient.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

How in the world does a Cherokee even get stuck on a level crossing? Are the crossings in other parts of the country completely different than the crossings here in the Phoenix area? I've never seen a crossing here that even a lowered Civic could get stuck on, let alone an SUV.

"Stuck" meaning the car is trapped between the two barrier gates.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like the wave action has to be practically nil for that to work well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Onboard account of Cascades derailment: https://transitsleuth.com/2017/12/21/the-story-on-amtrak-cascades-train-501-derailment/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

nm posted:

Remember that the reason the empire builder exists is not for chicago-seattle but like havre, mt to whitefish or something.
Many of these cities don't even have greyhound.

The problem with taking part of the route is two fold:
1) the train runs all night, so it might get in to your city at 3 am. Ugh.
2) except it is probably running late, so you show up at 3 am and it shows up at 7 am. Double ugh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can’t really imagine using the AutoTrain unless I was a snowbird moving my car from Florida to the Northeast and back once a year. Every other case I would just rent a car.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yep. This one's pretty good too. I have to partially blame the pedestrians here, but the guy still had plenty of time to get up to the stop and turn right, or turn around, or anything. Very deer in the headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gorkIF_sVXE&t=7s

So the train runs down the middle of the street? That’s like something out of the early 20th century.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s the benefit of high platforms? Connecticut just spent a lot of money on the Springfield line upgrading a bunch of stations from low (ground level) platforms to high ones, including elevated bridges to get from one side to the other.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They actually do run local/express on Metro North commuter trains in Connecticut, which uses those quad tracks. As well as Amtrak of course.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like the second one where it is blocked by trains passing in both directions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting that there is a modern concrete rail bridge right next to the old trestle on fire. That’s convenient.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good call: https://www.valleymetro.org/images/uploads/lightrail_publications/METRO-light-rail-line.pdf

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

JohnCompany posted:

I mean at least the train will be a prettier place in which to still go 30mph through northern Connecticut.

I travel the New Haven to New York Penn route fairly regularly and I don’t really see any difference in business class between Acela and Northeast Regional. Acela is a few minutes faster and usually more expensive.

(Usually I just travel coach since it’s half the cost and not very crowded.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the Northeast corridor, regular Amtrak is already skipping most of the stops since they are being served by commuter rail.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve been watching some of the California High Speed Rail construction progress videos, and it seems like a lot of the effort (and cost) is building giant viaducts to cross over existing freight rail lines. Is this what other HSR countries have to do too?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s one line in the video where he says “when rail fans looked at the damage to the engines, they thought almost all of them were goners” and I thought it was about the crew but it’s about the actual train.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I went through the new Moynihan train hall in NYC and it’s undeniable much nicer than the old Penn station basement. But it still has the terrible Amtrak thing where they only announce your departure platform as the incoming train is arriving, unlike every other rail system. Does anyone know what’s up with that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it’s bucketed pricing, so the cheapest bucket is very cheap but once it sells out, all the tickets cost more. One-way NYC to Boston starts at $31 if you are a few months out and ends at $161 traveling tomorrow.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where I live in CT, I can drive 30 mins to get to New Haven which is a fixed $23.50 to get to NYC and very frequent trains, or drive 15 minutes to a NEC station which is $22 at best and has a much worse schedule but nicer trains that you can work on. Too many choices!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Metro North has some express trains with stops that only let people off and don’t let in new passengers. My guess is that lets them run faster than scheduled if they want?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why does the one picture just show a ton of trash in the tunnel?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was suggested a YouTube video recently of someone taking Amtrak from San Francisco to Chicago (and then New York).

Looked fun if rather expensive. But it was just one person in a roomette and it seemed like it would be pretty tight with two, and moving up to a bedroom is like another grand. Also the Chicago to New York sleeper seemed kind of bad.

https://youtu.be/6_An9eAn014?si=8MBMh_kPPwb49nxD

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow:

Service will be restored between Croton-Harmon and Tarrytown starting 5AM Monday morning using two of our four tracks.

Our personnel have been working around-the-clock since Saturday morning to clear debris and stabilize the hillside after a mudslide obstructed our tracks near Scarborough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Along these lines:

https://youtu.be/jdA0u3WKx1c?si=63au_kwcsRbr_HSV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently Netflix generates a dozen or so images for each movie so they can target them at different audiences.

So I bet it’s all just done by AI now. “Train” is a train, right?