Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Looks like I will be joining the big orange railroad (you know the one) in California as an MOW laborer. Received conditional offer last week, and I was just notified that I passed the medical. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have done heavy labor before (distribution center). Anyone here work MOW? Can't wait to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Strawberry posted:

Looks like I will be joining the big orange railroad (you know the one) in California as an MOW laborer. Received conditional offer last week, and I was just notified that I passed the medical. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have done heavy labor before (distribution center). Anyone here work MOW? Can't wait to start!

Anyone?

My friends are surprised I took this job and plan to stick with it, considering I have a degree. From what you guys say about managers it seems like the better option to start at the bottom rather than go straight into management.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Good info man, I appreciate it. I don't have PMs. Hit me up at strawberry1d1 at gmail

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes, its a great job. No one is in a hurry. No one.

Having done time in retail and retail distribution, I think I might like this fact the most.

Also, making dick jokes without worrying about customers hearing you.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Day two of my MOW training, sitting in my hotel. Familiarizing myself with this 6-inch thick engineering binder. You TY&E guys get anything like this? :haw:

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Veins McGee posted:

There is a rule for everything. CSX mandates that all computer chairs have 5 or more casters.

:psyduck:

Oddly enough, I haven't run into anything :psyduck:-worthy. Yet.

Also, that thick binder is sort of a cookbook for laying track. The black logo one has the rules and orders that I need to keep near me at all times.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
My foreman told me that the size of the gravel in the yard that the train guys walk on is set by the union agreement. I chuckled. He was serious.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I just wasn't expecting it to be part of a union agreement. That ballast out on the road is gnarly, especially in those steep spots we can only get to via hy-rail.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

kastein posted:

Does railroading have a term like that old saw about "a good landing is one you walk away from"? Because that looks like a good landing to me, maybe even a great one ("a great landing is one you walk away from... and can use the plane again within 24 hours!") :v:

There are no good landings on today's railroad (speaking of class 1's here). Even if nobody is hurt its a big deal. All accidents are preventable. Put equipment on the ground, go piss in a cup and enjoy an unpaid vacation :v:

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

spipedong posted:

Well, big orange is installing drivecam units on every hyrail, to be extended to signal, telecom, and all other company vehicles as soon as they can get the money.

Those of us who have our own company trucks are now getting cameras installed to:
Watch inside the cab
Watch out the windshield
Track the vehicle via GPS
Record audio inside the cab
Automatically upload clips of 'erratic driving' via cellular network

You can thank Greg Fox, VP of transportation for that one, and you can bet UP and others will 'follow our lead'.

edit: as the poor bastard who has to install said cameras, I'm sorry. :psyduck:

This means I have to put on my hard hat every time I get out to take a piss. You putting these things in the MoW production gang vans? I'm sure they'd love to hear our banter.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

They are only triggered by an "event" a sudden stop, rapid acceleration, big bump, etc. So unless unzipping your pants causes a massive amount of air to rock your vehicle, you'll be fine. I've sat through hours of meetings about these drive cams. Make sure you and everyone in your vehicle is wearing their seat belts. That is now a critical decision failure. You can hit a button to manually record, causing the last 8 secs to be downloaded as well as everything after that. A third party will review every "incident" then forward the rule violating videos to the DE who then makes a decision. I have heard a lot of good things from people in the field about the cameras. I would be a lot more worried about a system audit team busting you rather than the cameras. And every vehicle will get them. Los Angeles and the bigger cities have them, ours have been ordered.

I heard a good story today about how the camera saved a guy's rear end. His HLCS (Hy-rail limits compliance system, for those unfamiliar) went off, alerting the DS that he was out of his limits. He wasn't, and to prove it he turned the camera on and moved it to show that he was stopped well short of the insulated joints, with the signals in the distance.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Yes Sir they are, heres how it looks from my angle unloading them.

I need to bid on a steel gang. I'm getting bored of doing ties.

Up here in Northern California we have places where there are 2 mains, and one will be all concrete ties, and the other is wood. Seems like they were testing to see how they held up.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Looking back only 3 months since I hired on, I realize how different this job actually is from my pre-conceived notions and what I saw at the hiring event. The HR lady's Powerpoints made everything look sanitized in a way.

I work in MoW, and recently started on a steel gang. This gang has moved me up much more quickly than the other one, and have been running various machines. I get filthy every single day, and play mechanic every time the machine breaks or malfunctions (which is a lot). I am required to carry tools (Harbor Freight everything thrown in a Husky bag, woooo). I was recently awarded a bid for a machine, so I won't be on the ground as much doing labor. Despite everything bad that comes with the job (some management, travel, odd hours) I still love it and feel like I accomplished something most days.

I have a degree and probably could have hired on as an exempt, one of those "assistant" Roadmasters, but this is more fun.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Makes me glad I switched to being a dispatcher.

Though I dont think they will be amused while I pick my nose and flick the nose gold around. Or while I scratch myself. Or eat sunflower seeds.

Tone up the dickscratcher!

I'm considering a craft transfer myself, seems like holding anything close to home is going to be next to impossible for at least 5 years. Then again, I love the job security. The track will always get pounded because trains are heavy and poo poo.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

spipedong posted:

Mine is the one with the loaded coal passing the empty inside a canyon on an S curve. Since that pretty much gives away my name/occupation let's keep that info on the DL ;)

drat, small world. Seems like there are quite a few BNSF goons :hfive:

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

NoWake posted:

Ahh just look at all those perfect rails and perfect ties :allears: Do any of the sims have MOW operations?

Make it so you sit in the truck for a few hours waiting for a train. Then you call the DS and they tell you they have 1 more Z train to get through, which turns into 3 more trains. After this, you finally get track and time for 30 minutes.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
We had a guy in a backhoe fatally injured after a train hit him. Stay safe out there everyone.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Where are you working at now?

RP18, San Bernadino sub, getting close to Pico Rivera.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Peak intermodal season means I get the month of December off :woop: Can't have MoW out there with all those UPS Z trains running around.

Of course, if I hadn't saved a chunk of money, I'd be chasing work in another district like everyone else.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

CharlesM posted:

They were already complaining the rails are completely congested due to the oil boom in ND.

Bakken shale oil, I love it because it means Big oraNge is spending money for line improvements system wide. We were pulling out jointed rail from the 1940's on the line from southern Oregon to Northern Cal only a few months ago. The oil boom has added more trains to a subdivision that only saw 3-4 trains a day.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Back to work on Monday, headed to Mojave. I sure don't envy those guys in the Midwest out there in 0 and below temps.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Trains follow a current of traffic in double track territory, and in multiple main track territory trains run on either track in both directions. In one of my timetables there is double track and it specifies that trains keep to the right unless otherwise instructed, and 2 main track territory runs them in either direction.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I think I've got till 2045 :woop:

Guys who hired on when they were 18 have to work for 42 years!

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The big ACs, especially the GE's, at notch 8 moving a coal drag is a pretty sweet sound. You can actually feel the pounding roar in your chest as they go by, even just poking along at 15 mph.

Agreed, especially the feeling of those ES44s pulling a hot Z at 70 mph, blowing dust in your face only 5 minutes after you gave the main back to the DS :getin:

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

sincx posted:

For those of you that work for the railroads, what are your companies' and your personal opinion of Amtrak trains?

I heard some companies tolerate them (BNSF), but others (UP) hate their legal mandate to accomodate and prioritize Amtrak trains.

I took the Zephyr last month from Chicago to San Francisco, and it was gorgeous, but I noticed that we passed a LOT of freights idling on sidings waiting for us.

For us maintainance crews it can be tough, at least the territory I work in. It's tough to get any work done during the daytime, so most things like rail change out, welding, and surfacing have to be done at night. It can be stressful trying to get work done when AMTK is lined up and you have to finish up before it gets held up. Holding up Amtrak is the cardinal sin out here, as it means big fines. It is the same deal in SoCal, Just throw in Metrolink on top of amtrak and it can get busy.

My personal opinion is that there should be 2 mains on all Amtrak territory to run more trains. Here in NorCal most of the BNSF is single main.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
How to drive a spike http://youtu.be/aQjJoLpyGqE

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
It's hard to get out there and eliminate slow orders when we can't even get the track for 2 hours because of train traffic. I mean, it's good that traffic is picking up on the BNSF, and the trains pay the bills, but it would be nice not to have to chase work windows every night.

I've been seeing lots of foreign power here out west as well, mostly CSX and NS units.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I've never heard of PTI here out west.

We have Renzenberger, aka Mr. Toad's Wild Ride :haw:

MOW usually drive ourselves around unless a CDL holder runs out of hours, or we can't find a van.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Awesome post about the Big Boy. I completely understand the reason to not want to run that thing through switches, it must tear poo poo up. Frogs take a beating anyway, I can't imagine what that engine would to to it, much less something simple as going around curves.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The only way that you're going to be able to top this is by driving a humongous steam engine through Iraq in wartime. That said, if these huge steam engines thrash modern trackage so much, what was done in years past when locomotives like the Big Boy and the Allegheny were really prevalent? Did the railroads use super-heavy construction, track, and accessories? Did they do more maintenance? Any ideas?

My guess is that they had a lot more section gangs way back in the day, and they were constantly working on the track. I'm talking section houses at drat near every station and siding. Today a section gang covers a much larger distance. My home section usually covers about 50 rail miles in each direction.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

NoWake posted:

Railroads are in the transportation business, not in the making things pretty business. Sure, there was tons of trash all over the embankments in every populated area we ran through, but unless clearing it out would make us money somehow, it would never ever happen. In fact, just going out there to clean it up would take months of equipment & manpower away from building and maintaining track.

It was funny, though, when there was word that the CEO or chief engineer was coming through on an inspection train, we in M.O.W. would get the directive to level every pile of ballast, hide every spare tie, and take every plug rail that had been laid strategically at joints to be welded back to the material yard. Gotta make the track look pretty!

I love it when the geometry car comes through. They seem to forget that the tracks are nothing more than wood, steel, mouse turds, grease, oil, and trash.

Taking your plug rails back to the yard though? Man I'd be pissed, that just makes more work.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
A plug rail is for when you cut out a section of rail due to it having a defect or break. Two cuts are made, the old rail is pulled out, the new one is measured and cut, then put in place. Our minimum length for a plug rail is 16 1/2 feet. The rail is then drilled on the web and joint bars and bolts are put on and tightened.

The welders come by later and unbolt the joints and weld them. Depending on the temperature the plug rail was installed, it may need to be pulled together or an inch or two must be cut out before it can be welded. Installing rail at different temps is a whole 'nother can 'o worms.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Well, at least they ain't changin' the way track is constructed!

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I have learned rather quickly that the less responsibility I have out here, the better. I work to live, not live to work. Sure, it is very easy to move up if you want it, but it comes with stress and negative side effects.

I see so many guys out here that make the railroad their life, and I can't help but feel like they are gonna be the first ones to keel over after retirement.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Don't let the stress get to you…it's just a job.

I'm glad you posted all that, recently I've just been letting poo poo get to me, it just seems like everyone else is trying to save the drat railroad. I was wondering what happened to you.

Speaking of management, what are the chances of a guy with a non-engineering degree and 1 and a half years in the craft becoming a roadmaster? Everyone is telling me I could.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

B4Ctom1 posted:

Are there even any left?

http://www.evrazna.com/

As far as I've seen most of the new rail that has been laid on the Big oraNge since I've been on comes from there. Also, as far as I know our switch points, stock rails, frogs, and insulated joints are American made.

Joint bars are stamped CHINA. I think the bolts are too. That's ok though, they never stay on the main for long anyway.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
We always have a section truck supporting the rail tester, so that when a defect is found we just cut in a plug rail right then and there, although finding curve worn rail is not easy. Depends on the type of defect, but fixing a defect is sometimes as simple as drilling the web and bolting on the joint bars, takes all of 15 minutes.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

That's neat. Seems like it would make for less maintenance over standard crossing diamonds, at least on the more traveled main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
If only BMWE members could unite like the trainmen seem to do.