Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Australian NSW train the 3801 is my favourite train, I used to be obessed with it when I was in the first grade - so much so that the teachers thought there was something wrong with me.

quote:

3801 (pronounced Thirty-eight o-one) is Australia's best known and most widely travelled steam locomotive. The streamlined locomotive was designed to haul express trains such as the Newcastle Flyer and Melbourne Limited for the New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR). 3801 is the only steam locomotive to visit every mainland state and territory in Australia

The 3801 was first built in 1942 and entered service in 1943 and used to haul the express train from Sydney to Newcastle, it served until 1962 before it was retired and overhauled.

For a special run from Sydney to Newcastle in 1964 it attempted to break the two hour trip but only just failed (2 hours 1 minute 51 seconds) but still was able to compete with the harsh timetables of the new diesel and electric trains, it went on to perform a multitude of special runs all over the country until 1976 where due to boiler problems it was placed on static display.

In 1980 a project was put in place to restore the 3801 and in 1988 it returned to service and continued to do so until 2008 where its now in a workshop in Chullora undergoing a major refit and should return (again) to service in late 2011.

The 3801 - the best train in Australia

auzdark fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Are there any UK Goons here that can give some info (and the name) of the steam train that went and rescued all the stranded commuters in London or something during the huge snow storm that crippled the diesel and electric trains?

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Saga posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8428097.stm

There were programs on it last year - it was new-built by enthusiasts (with a lot of time on their hands I guess). With links to their website.

This is the article I read! I looked up the train, I thought it was awesome they they build a brand new steam train from scratch, for some reason steam has always facinated me.

T1g4h posted:

This was posted in IV8's thread waaay back when, but I figured you guys might appreciate this just as much as the truckers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5IpycS06mg

Normal high-railers got nothing on that big beast.

This is crazy, I had no idea that they did this, It would be great if they used the old disused tracks a little more, there are 1000s of kms of unused track in NSW alone (especially heading up to the mountains), though that bridge looked quite sus...
Also, a truck hauling 15 carriges (though they are empty) is still quite an undertaking since it still had to stop at the station to turn on the crossing signals

auzdark fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 7, 2011

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

McDeth posted:

But on to fun times!

Holy poo poo your childhood would have been the best, I my 8 year old self would have wet himself to have even thought of ever being able to do that kinda fun stuff!

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Armacham posted:

C & O Allegheny #1601
Lima Locomotive 2-6-6-6

I love elegant and simple steam designs but I also love seeing things like this, where it just looks like an engineering monstrosity but also gives it tonns of character!

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

I found this on my daily surfing on the internet, but I was not able to find a story for it, looks like a terrible case of buffer over run! (I always wanted to see what a train would do to a road haha)

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

I don't know about you guys, but I think steam trains are the best, and you will see their towers of steam coming from miles away.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Right when a train clears you have a poor view of adjacent tracks. Add not looking and you get this:
:nms: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=af5b0240f8

I'm pretty sure this video has been posted earlier in the thread...

In regards to crossings, there are hardly any in Australia where I drive around, the trains are all elevated across the roads until they hit the city, then its all underground.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

You Am I posted:

Ah, that kinda makes sense with all the mist, being near the sea. I thought it was Bayswater cos of the all fog at this time of the year around that area.

Is the train museum still down there?

I had no idea that there was any sort of museum there! I think I'll have to check this one out! (if its still there!)

[edit]: Just checked the website http://www.arhsvic.org.au/ and it is apparently closed for works in Feb 2010 - it appears they don't update their website very much!

auzdark fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 15, 2011

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Holy poo poo, that thing belongs in an 'Incredible Engineering Feats' style thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

Bailey Yard, North Platte, Nebraska:

(click for friggin' huge)

This just makes me wanna play OpenTTD again.

In other depressing news, the Melbourne railway museum still appears to be closed... I've been waiting over two years to go. Perhaps I should just offer to lend a hand, but some of these communities are rather... creepy...