Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I believe the Russians (shocker) did actually try it to some degree for the Trans-Siberian Railway. Not sure if they ever actually made a working one. If I remember right, it was the reactor out of the Tu-119 after that was cancelled.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you like perty old rail cars in regular service, San Francisco's F line is pretty awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Market_%26_Wharves

Pretty great to head to your normal working Muni stop and a car from 1915 pulls up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Totally agreed. Although now a days, since the cable cars can read the Clipper cards and don't cost any extra if you're on a plan, you're actually going to find them pretty much full of commuters in the mornings, especially on the Powell line towards the BART station at like 6am. Fastest way to BART in the mornings from that area.

Friend of mine takes the cable car every morning on his commute which I think is basically the most awesome thing in the world, and he really can't understand my enthusiasm.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hezzy posted:

I would guess that tram lines hold a loss less power so they aren't really capable of arcing as much as regular rail overheads. I know that there are very strict rules on track safety in the UK governing overheads. They can arc very far and hold a lot of electricity.

Most of Japan uses 1,500 V DC on the catenary, which is really common for larger systems all over the world, a lot of which operate in cities (like Seattle light rail, Sau Paulo metro, Shanghai metro, etc).

It's higher voltage than a lot of trams use (600-750 V DC normally), but it's not that crazy. New Jersey/New York has an old railroad that runs into the city that pumps 3000 V DC on the overhead lines. Its rad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh Scotland. Given the area, I assume the lodge was for hunting youths or something because I don't see much else out there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It seems like the Class 1s are coming around in some places, re-taking some of the trackage they gave up to short-lines years ago.

It's an extreme over simplification, but gas prices going up really tilts the scales in the sea/air/road/rail shipping balance. BNSF and UNP are making money hand over fist recently, something like $8 billion operating income between the two of em in 2010.

Rising gas prices will keep shifting it more towards sea and rail.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Locator posted:

Wake up, train thread!

Glorious double header..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0gaHvVOz8E&hd=1

Vids like that always remind me that 'london fog' used to be a real thing. Look at that black coal smoke, and imagine it multiplied by a million. Unreal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Xenomrph posted:

but I really dig steam trains.

Have a gratuitous Big Boy picture

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The only reason I know about this thread is because B4Ctom1's post about the derailment/collision a few pages ago was recently linked in the SA Quotes thread a while back. Anyway I was idly browsing imgur tonight and saw this, and I thought this might be the one place that appreciates it. It's not a locomotive, it's a grain car, but with artwork on the side:

:nws: Thumbnailed due to painted buttocks:

Thats seriously the best tagging I've ever seen on a railcar, and I don't just mean that in the 'hurr, hotbabezz' goony way, but actual like painting.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zeether posted:

Someone posted that in the GIFs thread in PYF and there was a goon who was able to identify what line that was in Japan. Apparently that happens a LOT there, and it's pretty crazy. Almost looks like they're racing each other :haw:

Yeah, that one is actually photoshopped pretty badly though, but it does happen a lot.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sped up an the middle portion cut out, yes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, like 7 tunnels are in various states of flooded.

Nobody take the elevator.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CharlesM posted:

I loved abandoned buildings, especially things like subways.

You've probably seen this, and its been posted in this thread years ago I think, but this is a great read on abandoned Paris subway tunnels/stations.

http://sleepycity.net/posts/252/Demolition_of_the_Paris_Metro

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Minto Took posted:

I'm growing to like the new cars on the CTA.

i liked the old ankle eater cars with the blinker doors, because im a foaming rail tourist and not a rush hour commuter

Preoptopus posted:

I dont like how the doors lock so you cant walk between cars. I found it handy when some bum smelling like piss and poo poo stumbles into your car and starts screaming at demons. (for those of you not familiar with the city, this happens often.)

thats really any metro in the states

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So Amtrak and CHSR have sent out a combo RFI for 59 trainsets, requiring 220mph operational speed and currently being in service today, for use on both the Northeast Corridor and California's LA<->SF route.

Looking at the internet the options would seem to be:

Alstrom AGV
Max speed: 220mph
In service with NTV in Italy
Why it will win: The AGV is basically the next generation TGV, and Amtrak already operates and maintains a ton of TGV tech on Acela.
Why it won't win: Too unproven. Politics.

Siemens Velaro
Max speed: 236mph
In service in multiple variants with a variety of customers
Why it will win: It's had widespread success across the world, and Siemens can build and maintain them in the US.
Why it won't win: Politics, price.

Bombardier Zefiro
In service with Italian and Chinese national railways
Why it will win: Bombardier helped build and support the current Acela, and they can maintain them in the US.
Why it won't win: Less proven and... yeah, politics.

E Series Shinkansen
Max speed: 217mph
In service in Japan and China (variants based on Shinkansen tech)
Why it will win: Incredibly successful and proven technology base, large political and financing efforts behind bringing the technology to the US.
Why it won't win: There's someone else with just a little more political and monetary clout.

Sifang CRH380A
In service with Chinese national railways.
Why it will win: Ok, so this is really just a lightly copied and changed E2 Shinkansen rebranded by the Chinese, as is their long tradition. That means proven technology, plus Chinese government incentives and loans, plus political pressure.
Why it won't win: Not much chance of US based production or support, and copyright problems with Japan.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 26, 2013

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HSR will work great in some areas, and not it all in others. And given the cost of freeway and airport expansion/construction, hopefully people at least recognize its value in those places that it does work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Florida would actually be great for HSR considering how unbelievably terrible the toll higways are and the semi spread out nature of the cities, but not far enough to demand air.

Not saying it makes political sense, but that whole map is a for-fun fantasy thing anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Heres a cool train pic, care of NatGeo. The Lethbridge Viaduct.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I dont think you guys really grasp what Russia is dealing with here in the cold department.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ijustam posted:

5 mph? Does the locomotive just crumple like a can or what?

Trains are heavy. Just like getting crushed between two concrete blocks at super low speed will end you, so will being between two trains.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hm, weve got a derailed engine in a ditch... pulling it out with some other engines and some rope sounds like a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_p0MsIDhGc

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kids like to steal them from work sites and leave them in inconvenient places too, cause gently caress da man bro!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Im gonna guess that one of the pantographs probably lost contact for a second. It's a pretty normal occurrence on third rail systems when going over an at-grade crossing (like in Chi's brown line) or switching shoe-sides. I havent experienced it in pantograph systems like DART except in T intersections.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dubzee posted:

It does look feasible though and at 7.5 billion Musk could probably build the drat thing all by himself.

It looks feasible in the same way a space elevator looks feasible. And 7.5 billion wouldnt even get an elevated structure from LA to bakersfield, let alone installing, testing, and engineering a 700mph untested theoretical rapid transportation system on that structure.

It's fun pie-and-the-sky talk, but since its Musk who is a hell of a salesman and self promoter, suddenly its news.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/19/20090374-driver-beaten-by-angry-mob-after-train-kills-37-pilgrims-in-india?lite

~*India*~

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just spent a truly horrifying amount of money for Amtrak Coast Starlight to California Zephyr (LA to Chicago) tickets. Sprung for the roomette sleeper because when the hell else am I going to do this type of trip again.

I guarantee you the lady will hate trains within 5 hours of the journey.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CharlesM posted:

Are there any simulators / addons that model Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner line?
There is a little of the Surfliner in that video. They (the official dudes) are working on it for Train Sim.

They might have to update their color pallet though because that looks a little too drab/UK for Socal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Brother Jonathan posted:

82 mph in a 30 mph curve, and the engineer had twenty years of experience.

Get ready for more PTC chat in congress/the media.

Honestly, a busy piece of track with lots of commuter trains is where PTC really should be.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Passenger rail rates are pretty insane. It would cost me $750(and 2 hours of driving to get to Cleveland) to get from Cleveland, OH to Jacksonville, FL and back. It costs me $300 for a round trip ticket airline ticket from where I live and I wouldn't have to drive 2 hours.
My SF to Chicago tickets were like $137 each way before the sleeper addition.

Long distance rail like that isn't really meant to be actual transportation, anyway. They are leisure tours more than anything. Even at high speeds, they would be uncompetitive with airlines on any route of that length.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I honestly can't think of an AnsaldoBreda customer in the last 20 years happy with their units... no idea how they still get contracts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Motronic posted:

...and are sometimes bound by legislation to accept the lowest bid. This is a tried and true lovely contractor/manufacturer business plan in many industries.

Speaking of that, meet CA HSR contract winner Tutor Perini!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ctishman posted:

Sort of like Jeremy Clarkson's condescending railfan brother travels the world, riding on broke-rear end, dangerous track. Fun stuff to watch, particularly if you think Amtrak is bad.

Just watched all 3 of the episodes, really like this show. Thanks for posting it! Hope they do some more.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zeether posted:

I wish we had more electrified rail lines here. The NEC is so cool and yet nearly all the other commuter rail services in the US use diesel. I know it's less expensive than just putting up catenary and ordering new rolling stock but electric rail is badass and I love seeing sparks fly off the pantograph/third rail :allears:
There's more coming if the CAHSR ends up happening. Besides CAHSR itself, Caltrain's tracks in the bay area and a good portion of Metrolink's track in the LA area will end up electrified.

The irony being that if CAHSR has the same effect that Acela had on the NEC, it will essentially be immediately overcrowded with all the regional/HSR trains. Guess thats a better problem to have then, you know, it never getting built.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MrYenko posted:

but it had wildly optimistic ridership numbers to make the red ink stop dripping off the proposal, and in the long term, would have ended up as a Florida State Amtrak.
The projection was 2-3 million a year, which is less than 5500-8200 fuckin' boardings a day. Considering how unbelievably lovely the toll highway system is in Florida, they would hit 5500 boardings with two drat stops open. Thats a TINY projection by the way.

I guess thats what Floridians get for electing Rick Scott and just being Florida residents in general.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 10, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The only good thing about JAX is that they have an NFL team, for however long that lasts (not long)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Man, people give the US a lot of poo poo (sometimes rightfully) for not getting with the times on stuff like the metric system... and then I see a picture like that and remember that all of Europe outside the high speed stuff still uses fuckin' buffer-and-chain coupling.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The PTC drum beats ever louder.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Axeman Jim posted:

Despite the fact that automatic sliding doors had been used successfully on trains in the UK since the 1930s, the EPBs featured the imfamous “slam” doors, that were opened with a handle. To slightly reduce the number of drunks or children accidentally opening the doors and falling to their doom at 60mph (this happened a lot), the inside handles of the doors were removed, meaning that you had to lower the window and lean out of it to open the door from the outside. This made them somewhat draughty, and introduced the hilarious spectacle of impatient commuters leaning out of the windows as the units pulled up in stations and accidentally headbutting people on the platform, or simply opening the doors in their faces, as well as terrified tourists being carted to the far corners of the network because they couldn’t figure out how to get the doors open.
:staredog:

This doesnt... I mean how... I just...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqZwDTToH5o
This is why we can't have nice transit things in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gas/ban D&D, excited for part 3 Axeman.