Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
I'm with you Henrik Zetterberg, I ordered Bauer X:20 inlines thinking the boot was thermoformable like the ice hockey version. I was wrong. I've had blisters on my ankles since (been two weeks, 4 sessions at 2-3 hours a piece).

Can anyone offer advice on prevent blisters at the top of the boot? My inner ankles rub and blister on both sides at the top corner of the boot. I tried making sure the tongue was over it, which relieves the pain from the boot but still results in blisters. Extra/longer socks don't help either. It really starts to inhibit my game through the second period, especially if we don't have enough bodies for subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Thufir posted:

Anyone know if Reebok outlet stores sell hockey stuff? I just noticed there's one near me. Seems pretty unlikely in Tennessee.

The Reebok outlets here in Pittsburgh barely even sell Penguins souvenir items. 99.9% of the store is shoes and lovely NFL stuff. The only hockey stuff is hats and leftover Winter Classic shirts/sweats (not even jerseys).

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

RazorDX posted:

I'm with you Henrik Zetterberg, I ordered Bauer X:20 inlines thinking the boot was thermoformable like the ice hockey version. I was wrong. I've had blisters on my ankles since (been two weeks, 4 sessions at 2-3 hours a piece).

Can anyone offer advice on prevent blisters at the top of the boot? My inner ankles rub and blister on both sides at the top corner of the boot. I tried making sure the tongue was over it, which relieves the pain from the boot but still results in blisters. Extra/longer socks don't help either. It really starts to inhibit my game through the second period, especially if we don't have enough bodies for subs.
http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=67

Try these. They basically adhere like a second skin, and they work well.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
You know whats awesome? using a ringer goalie in the playoffs

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

Oh man, this reminds me of my best intramural ball hockey stories. I was playing on a team with some Computer Science tutors in the lowest division. We had a few good athletes and some not so good ones. There was one team that was absolutely stacked and should have been playing in the top (A) tier instead of the C/Co-ed tier. The best part is that they were all total douchebags all year long, berating players and refs and being overly physical with guys using the plastic sticks provided by the school.

Well turns out one of our d-men was actually a goalie in a pretty high level ice league. As this intramural division was supposed to be just for fun, he was playing out all year, but since we had finished in last place and had to play our good friends in the first round, he decided to play in net.

The game was an absolute war and you could imagine their surprise to be trailing by a goal in the dying minutes after blowing out every team in the regular season. With about 30 seconds left in the game, one of their guys who I'm battling in front of the net has a gift wrapped tap in goal to tie it up. With my stick out of position I reach down and just grab his stick with my hand and refuse to let go as he's trying to shake me off. Our goalie recovers position freezes the ball and the ref deservedly calls a holding-the-stick penalty.

The guy I was battling flips out, "HE WAS HOLDING MY STICK!!! WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT!" "Yeah, and I got a penalty". They couldn't do anything in the final 30 seconds of the game and we got an ovation from every other team in our division who had stuck around to watch this game play out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Love it when the other team is up by 5 and still playing like dirty shitbags.

In a preseason game that counts for nothing.

Hey big goony gently caress, hope you enjoyed blocking my shot with your dick! :tipshat:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Reebok outlets here in Pittsburgh barely even sell Penguins souvenir items. 99.9% of the store is shoes and lovely NFL stuff. The only hockey stuff is hats and leftover Winter Classic shirts/sweats (not even jerseys).

Thanks, I guess I'll skip going, don't need any Tennessee Titans Reebok onesies or whatever.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Love it when the other team is up by 5 and still playing like dirty shitbags.

In a preseason game that counts for nothing.

Hey big goony gently caress, hope you enjoyed blocking my shot with your dick! :tipshat:
Where/what league are you playing? SE Michigan, right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

coldwind posted:

Where/what league are you playing? SE Michigan, right?

Beer league in Northern Cal.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Beer league in Northern Cal.
Oh. For some reason I thought you were in the Detroit area. Hard to keep everybody straight!!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Same thing happened to Rotarians when they played Gang Green. Gang Green rolled out 2 former Jr. Sharks players, one playing D, one playing Goalie. Beat Rotarians in a shootout.

Yeah Gang Green, the team that won 3 games ALL season is moving on to the semis.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Same thing happened to Rotarians when they played Gang Green. Gang Green rolled out 2 former Jr. Sharks players, one playing D, one playing Goalie. Beat Rotarians in a shootout.

Yeah Gang Green, the team that won 3 games ALL season is moving on to the semis.

we lost in a shoot out two:smith: We have 2 of the top 3 scorers in the league on our team and we scored 1 goal.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone know of good inexpensive roller skates? It seems like the prices are pretty high right now and the used market here in LA is pretty tiny, I had no problem getting great ice stuff used but cannot find any roller skates, it's weird.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Acethomas posted:

Anyone know of good inexpensive roller skates? It seems like the prices are pretty high right now and the used market here in LA is pretty tiny, I had no problem getting great ice stuff used but cannot find any roller skates, it's weird.

I'd look at ebay and craigslist. I found a solid pair of Mission Proto VI a couple years ago for $50. YMMV, but if you've got a normal sized foot, you can get skates even cheaper. I had to settle for half a size too small and I still only had five pairs to choose from. Stupid size 12 feet.

Fusbolito McGiggola
Dec 21, 2005

poser posted:

Significantly less awesome is having your goalie kicked out of the playoffs in the first four minutes of the first game of the playoffs for punching a guy in the face with his blocker.

We played out the rest of the game, and only ended up losing 4-1, but are kinda hosed for the rest of the playoffs. Here's to hoping the league hears our protest!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Acethomas posted:

If you know your size, Rollerhockeymonkey.com has Missions before they got bought by Bauer for like 75% off
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-roller-hockey-skates-2005.html

dms666 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 12, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
We finally beat the team that we werent able to for the last 2 inline seasons in the semi's :D Nice 7-3 win, with their goalie being amazing. Get a 2-0 start for game 2 on Friday, due to a rain stoppage, but like half of our team cant make it due to having Pens tickets, hopefully I can get it moved from 8:30 to 10:30

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Ugh, I'm stuck in a loving slump and I can't break out of it for some reason. Well, not entirely true, as I had a g/a game last Thursday, but it seems that ever since October/November or so, I just can't loving score. My first season or two in D4 I was averaging a point and close to a goal a game (I play defense), and during the same time I was averaging over a goal a game for about 3 D5 seasons in a row. Then late Fall hit and I don't know WTF happened but I just haven't been able to put it together since. The weird thing is that, by any reasonable measure, all of my skills have improved during this span of time. My skating has gotten significantly better, as I started playing D4 with only a rudimentary ability to do backward cross-overs, and can now accelerate backwards using cross-overs with some proficiency, to say nothing of general improvements in my fundamentals. My decision-making has gotten faster as a result of playing in D5, my slapshot has gone from "can't get it off the ground" to "can't keep it on the ground" to "can reasonably expect it to hit the net at something close to the height I intended, but still lacking any aim," and my defensive play has seen pretty good progress. But, gently caress, it's just not happening. I keep telling myself to keep it up and that it will come eventually, and it makes me wonder what the hell highly touted NHL players go through when they're in a slump. Mainly I'm just venting.

tl;dr: game's improved, scoring has dropped, whine whine

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The best thing I always just try to do when I'm in a slump is to just not think about it, or anything for that matter. I tend to overanalyze the game and play a bit more rigid and tight when I'm in a scoring slump. But if I just clear my mind, just read and react, I usually find that works. The way you reference your issues with your slap shot issues sounds like this may be what you're doing. Just rip it.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 12, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

Ugh, I'm stuck in a loving slump and I can't break out of it for some reason. Well, not entirely true, as I had a g/a game last Thursday, but it seems that ever since October/November or so, I just can't loving score. My first season or two in D4 I was averaging a point and close to a goal a game (I play defense), and during the same time I was averaging over a goal a game for about 3 D5 seasons in a row. Then late Fall hit and I don't know WTF happened but I just haven't been able to put it together since. The weird thing is that, by any reasonable measure, all of my skills have improved during this span of time. My skating has gotten significantly better, as I started playing D4 with only a rudimentary ability to do backward cross-overs, and can now accelerate backwards using cross-overs with some proficiency, to say nothing of general improvements in my fundamentals. My decision-making has gotten faster as a result of playing in D5, my slapshot has gone from "can't get it off the ground" to "can't keep it on the ground" to "can reasonably expect it to hit the net at something close to the height I intended, but still lacking any aim," and my defensive play has seen pretty good progress. But, gently caress, it's just not happening. I keep telling myself to keep it up and that it will come eventually, and it makes me wonder what the hell highly touted NHL players go through when they're in a slump. Mainly I'm just venting.

tl;dr: game's improved, scoring has dropped, whine whine

Also if you use OPS they do wear out

My friend was using a old silver tip stick, convinced him to get a Warrior

Thats second in the league BTW

poser fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 12, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

poser posted:

Also if you use OPS they do wear out

Oh yeah? I mean, that won't account for it all, but it would explain a few things here and there - I've been using the same [$35 N/Bauer Hockeygiant discount] stick for about 3-4 months. Though, my prior success was with the same type of stick...

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

Oh yeah? I mean, that won't account for it all, but it would explain a few things here and there - I've been using the same [$35 N/Bauer Hockeygiant discount] stick for about 3-4 months. Though, my prior success was with the same type of stick...

Try flexing it and it should feel different. I know in hockey there are basically two types; the gear whore always getting new poo poo and the people who hold on to gear forever. Well, the gear whores are right about sticks.

What I do to get cheap sticks:

Buy on clearance
Buy slightly used

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Where do you get used sticks?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Habibi posted:

Ebay and Play It Again Sports are the first that come to mind. I am sure there are others.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/

but you need to open the sell section by contributing (making 75 posts) to hockey discussions.

People on there will buy a stick and not like the flex or curve and sell it after 2-3 uses.

And

http://www.prostockhockeygear.com/

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I played defense today.

I haven't played defense since high school 10 years ago

I still got it. :smug:

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Topoisomerase posted:

I played defense today.

I haven't played defense since high school 10 years ago

I still got it. :smug:

I played defense on the weekend and heard a lot of "UP THE loving BOARDS" from the bench when I kept passing out of the defensive zone through the middle... whoops

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can someone describe how learning crossovers should "feel"? My skate instructor is about 90 pounds wet, and can somehow completely swap her feet standing still, both blades parallel and on the ice.

I'm a lot more heavily built (5'10" and 220) and can only get one foot in front of the other before my leg gets in the way and I either have to twist a foot or push the rear foot backwards to make room. Both of these seem like bad ideas.

Her advice isn't bad.. she's had me improving balance by bracing on the boards and keeping my toes straight, etc. I certainly see some marginal improvement. But I think she just has no concept of what it's like to have thick legs and looks confused when I say I can't push my foot any further.

Do I just gotta get skinnier legs? Is a technique thing I gotta sort out? Is there a difference in feel between hockey skates and figure skates?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

...push the rear foot backwards to make room.
Kind of this. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it, but while your outside leg is off the ice and crossing over, your inside leg is extending (straightening out) to push. While your inside foot is pushing (I think Stamm calls this an X-push) the inside foot will actually cross your midline sagital plane and end on the outside part of your body before leaving the ice, while your outside foot starts it's stride under the inside part of the body, which is why it ends up crossing over the inside leg.

It's a little bit (not exactly) like what you do when you aren't wearing skates and you shuffle to your side while maintaining the rest of your body pointing forward. The way your legs work, at least. The crossing over happens largely below the knee.

This is a pretty difficult maneuver. It requires good balance on the outside edges of your skate, which is hard to get because you pretty much never use them unless you're crossing over. I bet a lot of people on the boards are still working on theirs (me included) and I see a lot of people showing off their crossovers at open skate who don't get a good push (or any push) off their inside skate (which almost defeats the purpose). One really helpful drill is gliding on just the outside edge of one skate and holding it as long as you can. You should be skating a curve and when you feel like you're gonna fall and plant the other skate to stabilize yourself, if you do it in front of that skate, you kinda got a crossover.

My ladyfriend has my copy of Stamm, so if anybody wants to add stuff or correct me, feel free.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

crossovers

Coldwinds advice is pretty good. The most important thing to remember is that a crossover is TWO pushes - your inside foot pushes "behind" on the outside edge while the outside foot is crossing over in front, and then the front foot pushes on the inside edge while you bring your inside foot back up. You should be able to hear your skate against the ice on both legs. So yeah, you'll be kind of pushing the inside foot back against the outside edge.

Keep practicing man. Do semi-circles on the inside edges and outside edges if you have some balancing trouble (especially the outside edge is tough for some people to get used to.)

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Can someone describe how learning crossovers should "feel"? My skate instructor is about 90 pounds wet, and can somehow completely swap her feet standing still, both blades parallel and on the ice.

I'm a lot more heavily built (5'10" and 220) and can only get one foot in front of the other before my leg gets in the way and I either have to twist a foot or push the rear foot backwards to make room. Both of these seem like bad ideas.

Her advice isn't bad.. she's had me improving balance by bracing on the boards and keeping my toes straight, etc. I certainly see some marginal improvement. But I think she just has no concept of what it's like to have thick legs and looks confused when I say I can't push my foot any further.

Do I just gotta get skinnier legs? Is a technique thing I gotta sort out? Is there a difference in feel between hockey skates and figure skates?

Squat lower. NHL players have huge legs but they also have a very wide and low stance.

edit: leaning on the boards won't teach you how to skate. Get one of those skate assist bar thingies and skate with that. If your rink doesn't have them, get a chair, hold onto the back rest and push that around the ice. It will force you to get lower and pretty much puts you in the correct skating position.

bigmike fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 13, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Echoing "bend your knees more"

You'll be surprised.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pushing with both feet sounds like a great way to send me crashing to the ice at this point, but I can visualize the process and will work on it. My balance seems fairly good.. I can coast on a single edge for half the rink or more, but when I start shifting balance or edges, I get discombobulated pretty quick and tend to catch/lose edges a lot.

Instructor keeps telling me to stand up straighter. :argh:

She's not an idiot, has been a great help, but I get the feeling she hasn't taught much hockey skating.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
She probably means don't bend over to get lower, some people start to lose the squat position and just start leaning over basically.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Don't think of them as crossovers. Think of them as crossunders. Instead of stepping your outside leg over your inside leg as you turn, which will cause you to kind of over-rotate and stomp on the ice, you should be thinking of pushing your inside leg under your outside leg.

e: Also, work on your edges. You're probably not trusting your outside edges enough. There are drills for this. I'm a huge fan of Robby Glantz's stuff. Here's his article on the forward crossunder.

Robby Glantz posted:

Begin by bending the knees deeply, about 2” out over the toe of the skate, with your back straight and chin up. If your knees are too straight, your thighs will hit because you will have no room to crossunder the inside leg.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 13, 2011

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Don't think of them as crossovers. Think of them as crossunders. Instead of stepping your outside leg over your inside leg as you turn, which will cause you to kind of over-rotate and stomp on the ice, you should be thinking of pushing your inside leg under your outside leg.
Listen to this man, because he's spot on. The direction you want to go in is the leg you want to cross under with.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

I can coast on a single edge for half the rink or more...
Are you measuring the circle or what? If you're skating on a single edge, you should be going in a circle.

One point I remember from Stamm's power-skating book is to try to keep your shoulders level while doing crossovers. It's supposed to help your balance. I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Are you measuring the circle or what? If you're skating on a single edge, you should be going in a circle..
That's certainly what the skate wants me to do, but sometimes crowd at the rink doesn't give me a faceoff circle all to myself.. so I try to balance on one edge and go as straight as possible. It seems like it helps with control anyways.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
I know the outside edge push feels weird when you're learning, but really you should get straight onto it, it'll also help with thinking of it as a "crossunder," (btw I never thought of it that way but it is a better characterization.)

What will help you a LOT is doing small semicircles on your outside edges. Don't hold them for ages and ages, just do nice little semicircles alternating legs, you should end up skating up the ice in a

(
)
(
)

shape turning on your outside edges. Now the only way to keep any speed up while doing this is to push off your outside edge as you're changing sides. You'll probably find it pretty hard at first but just grind it and it'll make crossovers much easier.

As an aside, you should also try to do tight semicircles on your inside edge rather than gliding forward for as long as possible, since the benefits of edge control are faster turning and stopping, not gliding off into the sunset :P

And assume there is a second coach standing beside you at all times and all he is doing is yelling "BEND YOUR loving KNEES," because thats basically the first month of my unofficial rookie training course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nick Cage posted:

What will help you a LOT is doing small semicircles on your outside edges. Don't hold them for ages and ages, just do nice little semicircles alternating legs, you should end up skating up the ice in a

(
)
(
)

shape turning on your outside edges.

Do this. I still spend time doing this whenever I get some practice time, and guys do it all the way up to the NHL level. There isn't a better way to learn how to bend your knees and get deep on your edges.

This is probably the best overview I've seen and Laura Stamm rules anyway, take a clinic from them if you can find it in your area.

One thing to remember as you get better at crossovers: the toe of the outside foot generates a lot of the power (not just your inside edge of the outside leg): when you get used being on that outside edge, try to focus on really getting that toe dug into the ice so you can get a strong push.