Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Sharks Ice gives the winning team a coupon for Buy 2, get 1 free pitchers. Sometimes we share with the opposing team if they were cool.

Some dudes on my team cant even get in the bar:whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

Sharks Ice gives the winning team a coupon for Buy 2, get 1 free pitchers. Sometimes we share with the opposing team if they were cool.

That owns. We go through about twice that after a game.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

bewbies posted:

I recommend sweatpants, better than socks in every way.

I considered it, but no one else in my beginner class wears sweatpants. I just want to fit in :sweatdrop:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, tape it is

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

robcat posted:

I considered it, but no one else in my beginner class wears sweatpants. I just want to fit in :sweatdrop:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, tape it is

One of the best players I have the pleasure of knowing wears sweat pants and looks really silly right up until he makes his opponents look even sillier.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:

Habibi posted:

One of the best players I have the pleasure of knowing wears sweat pants and looks really silly right up until he makes his opponents look even sillier.

i bet everyone hates that guy.

they're like, that jerkoff ringer in the sweat pants.

really though, what ever works for you is best. and I wouldn't worry about fitting in. just play, obviously dudes who are good look weird as hell, but who cares?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Postal tape is the best tape.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought my second pair of skates in 4 months tonight. I really wish fitting footwear wasn't such a black art. :smith:

I haven't skated them yet, but I walked around in them for a good 45 minutes at the skate store after baking, and they felt significantly better. That was after spending an hour trying on every brand in the place. At one point I had a Bauer on one foot, a CCM on the other, and the sales guy lacing up some Eastons.

Got some Easton EQ4's, 7.5 EE. The EQ5's felt even better but there's no way I could justify a $550 skate. EQ3's felt like I was putting my foot in a tupperware bowl.

Anyone want a pair of Reebok 8k 8.5E? :smith:

(gonna toss 'em up on ebay this weekend, there's gotta be someone out there looking for a bargain)

Brendo
Apr 7, 2009

Primitive
Wrong thread :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

zinc68 posted:

I present to you my beer league arena.

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

I need to go by there the next time I'm back in Minnesota. It's kind of nuts to think that there is one facility in Blaine that has more sheets of ice than Phoenix. Phoenix has 10 sheets of ice (excluding pro arenas and inline), which is decent compared to a lot of places. As a goalie, I wonder about the logistics of getting your gear all the way to the back of the facility. Are there multiple entrances, do they have carts, or do you just tough it out or get a wheeled bag?

I really need to bring my gear, play at some different rinks around town and just see how different the talent level is up there.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Nizox posted:

i bet everyone hates that guy.

they're like, that jerkoff ringer in the sweat pants.

really though, what ever works for you is best. and I wouldn't worry about fitting in. just play, obviously dudes who are good look weird as hell, but who cares?

Nah. He was that guy when he was in his teens / early 20s, when he was a hotshot who'd try to beat the opposing team single-handedly. As he's gotten older (31 now) he's changed his game a lot and has become a very cerebral player who will always look to pass before trying to go through or around anyone.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

I bought my second pair of skates in 4 months tonight

and I thought I had it bad replacing skates every year.

I just bought my last pair of inline skates. And by that I mean that if these go to poo poo I'm just doing ice to inline conversions after this. There is so much awesome selection in ice skates and the inline choices just suck comparatively.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Anyone run/participate in a weekly organized pickup game? I'm thinking about trying to start one up and would love some tips or advice.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We don't do it weekly, but maybe monthly or so we'll rent the ice and invite a bunch of people. My advice is to get a lot of people on the list and say the first x to respond will be able to play each time. Overshoot a little because some people will cancel last minute or no-show, and then you end up getting screwed into paying more for ice time if you're the person whose name is on it.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
So, I'm moving from Los Angeles to Minneapolis for work and I'm gonna need to find new pick ups/ beer leagues. Anyone from the area have any recommendations on where/when to play? I both skate out and play goal so, really, I'm just looking for a friendly on-ice location or 5. I'm stoked to be going back to the north so I can get a lot more playing time in. Finding new places to play hockey sucks.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Funkutron5000 posted:

So, I'm moving from Los Angeles to Minneapolis for work and I'm gonna need to find new pick ups/ beer leagues. Anyone from the area have any recommendations on where/when to play? I both skate out and play goal so, really, I'm just looking for a friendly on-ice location or 5. I'm stoked to be going back to the north so I can get a lot more playing time in. Finding new places to play hockey sucks.

What skill level are you? There shouldn't be a shortage of places to play, but finding an appropriate league will be the big thing.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Aniki posted:

What skill level are you? There shouldn't be a shortage of places to play, but finding an appropriate league will be the big thing.

That's what I figured. I mean, it's Minnesota. There should be a poo poo ton of hockey. I'm ok by Los Angeles standards so I'm going to be looking for a pretty low level league up there, I'm assuming.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Funkutron5000 posted:

That's what I figured. I mean, it's Minnesota. There should be a poo poo ton of hockey. I'm ok by Los Angeles standards so I'm going to be looking for a pretty low level league up there, I'm assuming.

On the previous page is a photo/description of the posters beer league arena. It has 12 or 16 rinks under one roof :aaa:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Funkutron5000 posted:

Pickup in the Cities is actually a huge pain in the rear end because demand is too high and sessions fill up quickly. You need to get to the rink way early to have a chance at a slot.

That said, the best value for regular pickup is November through March on the Roseville Oval. Five bucks for two hours of outdoor shinny. Gets pretty crowded in the weekends, but the weekday skates are great. Don't expect anything resembling a structured game, though.

Outside of Roseville, it depends where you'll be living. There are rinks all over the place, so call the one nearest you to get open hockey and league info. I'd actually recommend joining a league. Ironically, the Minnesota hockey community is difficult to break into. All the locals have been skating with the same 20 guys since they were 12 and aren't particularly receptive to outsiders. Not hostile, just insular.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 9, 2011

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Green Submarine posted:

Pickup in the Cities is actually a huge pain in the rear end because demand is too high and sessions fill up quickly. You need to get to the rink way early to have a chance at a slot.

That said, the best value for regular pickup is November through March on the Roseville Oval. Five bucks for two hours of outdoor shinny. Gets pretty crowded in the weekends, but the weekday skates are great. Don't expect anything resembling a structured game, though.

Outside of Roseville, it depends where you'll be living. There are rinks all over the place, so call the one nearest you to get open hockey and league info. I'd actually recommend joining a league. Ironically, the Minnesota hockey community is difficult to break into. All the locals have been skating with the same 20 guys since they were 12 and aren't particularly receptive to outsiders. Not hostile, just insular.

That's what I was worried about. I really only started playing 2.5 years ago and that's been out in LA so I'm not really on the good end of things. Hopefully the fact that I also play in net will help me get some more ice time. I'm going to be working at the University of Minnesota and I'm looking to live in Uptown/ Seward/ North East... Hopefully I'll be able to play some IM hockey there, but since I'll be staff instead of a student we'll see how that works out. Thanks for the info. Hopefully knowing someone from the internet will help me break in elsewhere.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

poser posted:

Anyone run/participate in a weekly organized pickup game? I'm thinking about trying to start one up and would love some tips or advice.

I do two of these a week, I helped to organize one. One is pretty much just a pure pickup game, the other has a ref, etc. Both average between 15 and 20 guys per session, which is the ideal number in my opinion. Some things to keep in mind:

1) Goalies are critical. If you don't have goalies, people simply will not come back as it makes a huge difference in how much fun it is. At both of the pickups I play we have goalies who are as reliable as anyone could ever be, and it helps a lot with the week to week consistency. They also have several backup guys who are on call and who fill in if they can't make it. We've never had a skate where we didn't have two goalies.

2) Get the skill level right. Decide what level you're shooting for, and try and "recruit" guys only around said level. This is for pretty obvious reasons.

3) Try and make it by invite only, and don't be afraid to disinvite douchebags. This allows you to have pretty active control over douches, who can instantly make things like this very unfun for everyone.

4) Try and make the time and location as consistent as possible; Thursday nights are probably the best night for this sort of thing in my opinion. Stay away from weekends if at all possible.

5) Try and get a core group of guys to provide up-front funding. We had about 10 or so guy who each fronted $400, and then we charge non-core guys $10-15 a session. Any additional money had at the end of the session could either be put to the next session or refunded. We got about $200 back a piece which we then folded into our current session; it saved us a lot of money and meant that we didn't have to worry about having enough cash week to week. It also meant that we all had an interest in recruiting new guys, which helped to make the numbers grow.

6) Get a good communication system set up. If you're wanting to run the thing, make sure you have a good email and phone for everyone who plays regularly, communicate stuff through email and text message. For the first several months, send out a reminder of the skate before each one; after that make sure you keep everyone abreast of any schedule changes.

7) Try and get the last slot of the day if it isn't too late. Both of our skates start at 9, which means that we're the last group to have the ice each day. This means first that you're not going to be crunched for time by another group after you; it also means that the guy running the rink will probably be a teenager left there by the owner to lock up and he'll never tell you to leave, so you can stay as late as you want.

Other things are kind of obvious: keep the teams as even as possible, explain the rules up front to everyone, keep careful track of the money, etc etc.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Funkutron5000 posted:

That's what I was worried about. I really only started playing 2.5 years ago and that's been out in LA so I'm not really on the good end of things. Hopefully the fact that I also play in net will help me get some more ice time. I'm going to be working at the University of Minnesota and I'm looking to live in Uptown/ Seward/ North East... Hopefully I'll be able to play some IM hockey there, but since I'll be staff instead of a student we'll see how that works out. Thanks for the info. Hopefully knowing someone from the internet will help me break in elsewhere.

You'll be fine. There is literally so much open hockey in the cities that if you want, and know where to look, there are spots open every night of the week for you to play.

Sounds like you want to stay in N.E. Minneapolis, so you'll be right next to Victory Memorial Ice Arena which has 3 open hockey nights a week, and next to Northeast Arena which also has it a few nights a week.

Check out https://www.jmshockey.com and https://www.hockeyfinder.com Both are based in the Twin Cities and combined, will give you several skate opportunities a night, every day of the week.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

bewbies posted:

:words:

Thank you so much!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

First hatty of the season during our first win of the season :toot:

Too bad the scorekeeper dicked up the score sheet. Only got credit for 2 of my 3. :argh:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

First hatty of the season during our first win of the season :toot:

Too bad the scorekeeper dicked up the score sheet. Only got credit for 2 of my 3. :argh:

well then it doesn't count.

:v:

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

zinc68 posted:

You'll be fine. There is literally so much open hockey in the cities that if you want, and know where to look, there are spots open every night of the week for you to play.

Sounds like you want to stay in N.E. Minneapolis, so you'll be right next to Victory Memorial Ice Arena which has 3 open hockey nights a week, and next to Northeast Arena which also has it a few nights a week.

Check out https://www.jmshockey.com and https://www.hockeyfinder.com Both are based in the Twin Cities and combined, will give you several skate opportunities a night, every day of the week.

This post owns. Thanks for all the information.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

I do two of these a week, I helped to organize one. One is pretty much just a pure pickup game, the other has a ref, etc. Both average between 15 and 20 guys per session, which is the ideal number in my opinion. Some things to keep in mind:

1) Goalies are critical. If you don't have goalies, people simply will not come back as it makes a huge difference in how much fun it is. At both of the pickups I play we have goalies who are as reliable as anyone could ever be, and it helps a lot with the week to week consistency. They also have several backup guys who are on call and who fill in if they can't make it. We've never had a skate where we didn't have two goalies.

2) Get the skill level right. Decide what level you're shooting for, and try and "recruit" guys only around said level. This is for pretty obvious reasons.

3) Try and make it by invite only, and don't be afraid to disinvite douchebags. This allows you to have pretty active control over douches, who can instantly make things like this very unfun for everyone.

4) Try and make the time and location as consistent as possible; Thursday nights are probably the best night for this sort of thing in my opinion. Stay away from weekends if at all possible.

5) Try and get a core group of guys to provide up-front funding. We had about 10 or so guy who each fronted $400, and then we charge non-core guys $10-15 a session. Any additional money had at the end of the session could either be put to the next session or refunded. We got about $200 back a piece which we then folded into our current session; it saved us a lot of money and meant that we didn't have to worry about having enough cash week to week. It also meant that we all had an interest in recruiting new guys, which helped to make the numbers grow.

6) Get a good communication system set up. If you're wanting to run the thing, make sure you have a good email and phone for everyone who plays regularly, communicate stuff through email and text message. For the first several months, send out a reminder of the skate before each one; after that make sure you keep everyone abreast of any schedule changes.

7) Try and get the last slot of the day if it isn't too late. Both of our skates start at 9, which means that we're the last group to have the ice each day. This means first that you're not going to be crunched for time by another group after you; it also means that the guy running the rink will probably be a teenager left there by the owner to lock up and he'll never tell you to leave, so you can stay as late as you want.

Other things are kind of obvious: keep the teams as even as possible, explain the rules up front to everyone, keep careful track of the money, etc etc.

Depending how organized you want to be, you can make it work with different skill levels. A popular format out here is each team will have an A-line and B-line. The A-line will consist of the good players and the B-line is everyone else, they keep to strict 2-minute shifts and it ensures that the skaters get plenty of ice time and play against a similar level of talent. Try your best to keep the teams as balanced as possible, because it's not nearly as fun when one team is clearly stacked. Also, it's not a bad idea to try and get someone's friend or girlfriend to run the scoreboard.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Wow, that is extremely organized. The pickup here in Miami is Tuesday and Thursday from 10:15 - midnight. The rink makes sure there are goalies, and up to 20 skaters pay $15 each to play. The players divide themselves up and play, with each shift being as long as the player wants it to be. Skill level is completely disregarded, although occasionally players will switch sides if it's horribly unbalanced. I yearn for pick-up as well-organized as what bewbies described.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Aggro posted:

Wow, that is extremely organized. The pickup here in Miami is Tuesday and Thursday from 10:15 - midnight. The rink makes sure there are goalies, and up to 20 skaters pay $15 each to play. The players divide themselves up and play, with each shift being as long as the player wants it to be. Skill level is completely disregarded, although occasionally players will switch sides if it's horribly unbalanced. I yearn for pick-up as well-organized as what bewbies described.

Open Hockey organized by rinks are almost always like this. It's fine for the most part, but sometimes the teams get heavily unbalanced, so as a goalie you can play awesome against one side and then get shelled when you switched sides. I don't mind having the challenge, but balanced games are more fun.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

poser posted:

Thank you so much!
If you'd like to save the effort and just come out to one, I play goalie and arrange the goalies for a Thursday night pickup at Valco from 9:30PM-Midnight. It's a terrible rink, but the $15 for 2.5 hours really can't be beat. There's always two goalies and it's a relatively fast skate, but most of the guys are pretty liberal with passing even if your skill level isn't up to snuff.

Plus, you get to headshot a goon goalie! Not too many people get that opportunity!

brosef deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 9, 2011

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'm just getting started in playing ice hockey, and the OP is great for someone like me.
I used to play inline a long time ago, and am just starting to a) learn how to skate and b) really play hockey. Only been to a few sticks and pucks and am now going to my second drop-in with a friend of mine (two hours for $8 ain't bad). So far, it's been tough to get ice time without subjecting myself to potentially running over or otherwise maiming little children.

I'm in the Detroit area (Novi, specifically), and I know there must be a ton of options for hockey. Is there a website (like the one just posted for Minneapolis) that has a list of drop-in and other opportunities to play? Or any goons who are in the area, too? I'm starting to get the itch to skate and/or play more than once a week. I'm ideally looking for something beginner-level, as I'm starting from scratch in learning how to maneuver myself on skates.

And I'm considering doing some drop-in inline to help myself learn to stick handle, as it's cheap and very close to me. Anyone either do this or have opinions on it?

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm just getting started in playing ice hockey, and the OP is great for someone like me.
I used to play inline a long time ago, and am just starting to a) learn how to skate and b) really play hockey. Only been to a few sticks and pucks and am now going to my second drop-in with a friend of mine (two hours for $8 ain't bad). So far, it's been tough to get ice time without subjecting myself to potentially running over or otherwise maiming little children.

I'm in the Detroit area (Novi, specifically), and I know there must be a ton of options for hockey. Is there a website (like the one just posted for Minneapolis) that has a list of drop-in and other opportunities to play? Or any goons who are in the area, too? I'm starting to get the itch to skate and/or play more than once a week. I'm ideally looking for something beginner-level, as I'm starting from scratch in learning how to maneuver myself on skates.

And I'm considering doing some drop-in inline to help myself learn to stick handle, as it's cheap and very close to me. Anyone either do this or have opinions on it?

I grew up in the area, but a bit further east. If you're willing to drive out to Fraser there's Great Lakes Sports City which is a 5-sheet complex.

http://www.glsportscity.com/

I've shamefully never skated there despite growing up ~2 miles from it but had a ton of friends play there growing up when it was still Fraser Hockey Land.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Having built a little shooting area in my back yard under the deck with a net/shooting pad/etc and cleaning out the basement at the same time is fun. I've just been taking slapshots at random garbage before taking it out to the dumpster. I don't care how old I get slapshotting a puck through a guitar will never not be kind of awesome

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How will you ever become pro if you don't have a dryer to practice shots on? :colbert:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

xzzy posted:

How will you ever become pro if you don't have a dryer to practice shots on? :colbert:

Well, perhaps he could become a pro at recieving head injuries. Some people are getting paid very well for that these days.

:science:

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

sleepwalkers posted:

For open hockey/Drop-in, there are 3 rinks in the area that have regular ice:
Farmington Ice Arena : M,Tu,Th,F 9:30 to 10:50 - $8
Novi Ice Arena : http://www.noviicearena.com/dropin_hockey.html
Suburban Ice Arena : http://www.suburbanice.com/suburban-farmington/

I've skated all three with some regularity and I'd guess that Suburban is probably the best for beginner skaters. All three can have occasional bad nights but for the most part, the players are all really helpful and fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.

There are plenty of outdoor, free, public inline rinks around but the best that I know are in Livonia: http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/Departm...83/Default.aspx

There are about 5-6 Goons skating these rinks and two teams called The Goon Squad in the Ann Arbor Men's leagues.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Finally got back on the ice for the first time in about 8 months, and had the rink to myself for a full 2 hours :buddy:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

shyguy posted:

Finally got back on the ice for the first time in about 8 months, and had the rink to myself for a full 2 hours :buddy:

thats pretty nice. :\ lucky...

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just signed up for the kings summer clinic, 200 for 4 classes, two kings tickets and a throwback jersey

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Just played in my first ever pickup game tonight. Good stuff, a lot of organized chaos because we're all at about the same level (mostly beginners, a few more experienced guys). The benches were short so we really didn't stick to positions and we only had one goalie. It might have driven some more experience players insane, but we had a blast. Beats the hell out of watching TV on a Friday night anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
If I replace my holders with the exact same holders, can I reuse the steel?