Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014

z0331 posted:

I think I basically played it the way you're supposed to, so eh. Only reason I was thinking that is because at this level it was probably less likely he'd get a solid pass off and that the other guy could get an accurate shot off versus him just getting the clear shot.

Sucks about the injury... definitely agree with you, the ice was real bad. I didn't stick around after my game to see yours and the play, but playing the pass was the right thing to do. Obviously it's the generally correct way, but also I played on the Bees a couple of seasons and they all play really well together. They're one team I would expect to be successful on that pass most times. They certainly exploited it against us the last time we played.

I'm not sure when you play the Silverbacks next, but if you want, introduce yourself. I'll be the D man in the bright blue helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In a 2-on-1 scenario at my level I almost always play the shooter as well. The odds of someone making a good pass, the other guy receiving the pass, and the guy receiving the pass also getting a good shot off are very low. The odds of the puck carrier just coughing up the puck under pressure are way higher. That being said I scored off a beauty pass in a 2 on 1 last night so it's not perfect. 9 out of 10 times I'm flubbing that play though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Playing the top team in the D Division tonight (my former team) who has a player coming back from a 7 game suspension from fighting. It could get ugly out there tonight.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I play low level and for 2 on 1's I start off about midway between them trying to cut off the pass but as they get closer I crowd towards the puck carrier.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why in the gently caress would you pay a bunch of money to play low rent adult rec hockey and then get in a fight and get suspended from playing hockey that you paid for

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think that's one of the great mysteries in life.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bewbies posted:

why in the gently caress would you pay a bunch of money to play low rent adult rec hockey and then get in a fight and get suspended from playing hockey that you paid for

Probably because it's the only place a needle-dick rear end in a top hat can take out his aggression at people without immediately going to jail for beating his wife a third time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The trick is to get your wife to sign up for hockey

(they put mine in the division above me)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

god no

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I get to play against a nice lady tonight whose idea of defense is to hook you right in the crotch and waterski down the boards.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bewbies posted:

Just had a dude in last weekend's mixed-skill tournament get kicked out in the first period of the second game for hacking on the ringers, smacking one of them in the bridge of their nose with his stick, cross checking one of the girls on our team in the facemask and dropping slurs to everyone within earshot. He was drafted in my (garbage level) round.

He paid around $350-400 for not even two games and a jersey. :shrug:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Drew Stafford and Brock Nelson showed up to the pro skate today. Didn't have the camera at that end but thankfully caught this.

Full vid here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawyEXGVI9A

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Actually it owns. Never get your wife into golf, however.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Make her your wife first. Failing before that, it gets reeeeeeaaaaaaaal awkward.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

titanium posted:

Drew Stafford and Brock Nelson showed up to the pro skate today. Didn't have the camera at that end but thankfully caught this.

Full vid here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawyEXGVI9A

:stare: That save is impressive.

He should have just finished backhand. Too many notes Mozart.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Verman posted:

:stare: That save is impressive.

He should have just finished backhand. Too many notes Mozart.

I thought so too but in the video if you watch the slow replay the puck rolls up on him so it was much "safer" to try and dunk it which gave me time.

*content edit*

Before that skate all those guys were talking about how great the ARP Wave system is, I think a number of them had purchased their own (they're not cheap). Has anyone here actually used one before?

titanium fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 23, 2017

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Will it make me better?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Bootcha posted:

Will it make me better?

If recovery is causing you to not play to your potential, it sounds like...yes?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't think the average SAS hockey player is being held back by recovery ... just sayin.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

No see I was actually injured in childhood before I even started skating so this expensive therapy will unlock my true potential.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was grabbed by my facemask as a child

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Show us on the doll where the bad coach touched you ...

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

So I just started adult hockey lessons and boy am I bad on my outside edge, inside for either foot is alright but I lack any sort of confidence on the outside. What can I do to help remedy this and work on it?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

JamesWestfall posted:

So I just started adult hockey lessons and boy am I bad on my outside edge, inside for either foot is alright but I lack any sort of confidence on the outside. What can I do to help remedy this and work on it?

Practice stepping over your foot while next to the bench to get used to the feeling. Do this on both directions until you are comfortable then try and do the motion while skating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's an outside edge?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JamesWestfall posted:

Drills like this are your best bet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Yes, do these forever. Even if you go almost completely straight, just kind of lean on the outside edge a little more every time.

Pay special attention to how horizontal his shoulders are.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just keep skating do what these guys say but don't overthink it. It just takes time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Dangerllama posted:

Seriously nth'ing the poo poo out of this one. Every open skate I go to with my girlfriend I do these for a good 20 minutes and like warming up with these. And yes, it'll feel weird and awkward as hell at first.

but

sellouts posted:

Just keep skating

In other news; hoooooly poo poo I don't know what's up with Kent Valley's ice or zamboni but that was by far and away the worst ice I've ever skated a game on up here in my short hockeying time. It was weird and stippled at first and by the end of the game I'm pretty sure it was melting in spots. The game went from Chaos Puck to "nah I ain't moving" puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know your team had a good game when the opposing goalie breaks his own stick over the net. Twice.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Met an ECHL player at a party over the weekend. He's been playing pro for 5 years and had a bunch of injuries this past season, so he's leaning towards retiring from the game and coaching. I didn't even bother telling him about the men's league because I'm sure it would be a joke compared to the level he plays, but I immediately kicked myself for not at least getting his number in case he ever wanted to skate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Loqieu posted:

Met an ECHL player at a party over the weekend. He's been playing pro for 5 years and had a bunch of injuries this past season, so he's leaning towards retiring from the game and coaching. I didn't even bother telling him about the men's league because I'm sure it would be a joke compared to the level he plays, but I immediately kicked myself for not at least getting his number in case he ever wanted to skate.

Every hockey player ends up in beerleague, the only difference is the time it takes to get there.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

sellouts posted:

Just keep skating do what these guys say but don't overthink it. It just takes time.

But overthinking is what I do best! I'm also very good at being frustrated that I'm not progressing as fast as I'd like.

We're only 2 weeks into Summer Schedule and the fact that my ice time has been cut in half is already taking its toll. :negative:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The only ice time I can find here right now is with a bunch of very bad players and I'm unsure what to do about this. Yesterday I went with "pass a lot".

On the plus side I skated yesterday for the first time in 4 months or so, that was good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I took a trip back to the "beginner" level clinic, haven't been in a few months (it usually only has a few beginners and a bunch of dudes who just wanna hang out on the ice that have been going for years).

Holy poo poo, I can take the puck off of everyone there now. I still can't shoot for poo poo but whatever, i'm a D-man.

I also took two shots on net in my last game, which is rare. First time I skated up, my winger gave it to me because i'm faster than him and wasn't marked, he dropped back and I took a shot from just outside the slot into the goalies chest. Ok whatever, I can't aim and it rebounded away.

Second shot was from the point, I slapped it and it hit the dudes pad. We didn't score off it because the rebound shot hit the goddamn post, but goddamn it felt good.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Duke Chin posted:

In other news; hoooooly poo poo I don't know what's up with Kent Valley's ice or zamboni but that was by far and away the worst ice I've ever skated a game on up here in my short hockeying time. It was weird and stippled at first and by the end of the game I'm pretty sure it was melting in spots. The game went from Chaos Puck to "nah I ain't moving" puck.

Kent always seems to be the worst. Maybe it's the windows and the glass on the one end. A/o the lovely Zamboni & driver. Last year we had a game where our goalie went to play the puck, the puck didnt move off the ice and the opposing team player was forechecking and picked up the stuck puck and put it in the empty net with ease. If I recall correctly, We lost 1-0.

Also, here's an ankle update. It's been 8 weeks since I broke my ankle. Was in a splint for 2 weeks before surgery, 2 weeks again after surgery. Then another 2 weeks of 0% weight bearing, the last 2 weeks started PT and am about 75% weight bearing and should be 100% within the next week. Use a walking boot when out & about but not at home which is ok. Hope to get back on the ice in early August at open ice, then September to some pickup hockey and then league play for when winter season starts in October.

Tank44 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 26, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Seriously nth'ing the poo poo out of this one. Every open skate I go to with my girlfriend I do these for a good 20 minutes and like warming up with these. And yes, it'll feel weird and awkward as hell at first.

but

I feel like the ice around here is really inconsistent. Olympic view tends to be my favorite ice quality and the rink is kept cold. The WHL main sheets are usually very nice but they are warm to skate in.

Xfinity community ice - this rink is usually the hottest of all, they pump in hot air through the ceiling vets which blows directly onto the ice. Soft ice results, cut is usually good.
Xfinity Main Ice - usually really well cut, can be really warm in the rink though, ice is usually pretty good.
Olympic View - almost always good ice, cool inside the rink, pretty consistently well cut. Probably the most consistently best ice in the Seattle area.
Lynnwood - really inconsistent, rink is warm at times, soft ice, bad cuts, zamboni can be good, or absolutely terrible depending on who is driving.
Kent Valley - usually decent, can get warm during the day thanks to the windows. Generally its one of the cooler rinks inside. Generally good cut but depends on the driver.
Showare - almost always good ice, rink can get warm but ice usually stays pretty nice. Cut is always top notch.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
2 combined free skates was all it took for me to develop a seething hatred of figure skaters. :mad:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I scored a goal from my knees (deking from my knees actually) as I was being tripped against this girl goalie who used to play for BU in our Summer league and felt good about it then immediately felt bad about it because I'm actually a goalie and probably the worst forward on our A team and man that's gotta be embarrassing for her :(

It was pretty sweet though. Much like my one knee top shelfer from last summer from the hash it will never happen again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The hardest saves to make are the ones that you don't expect.