Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«716 »
Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

"The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of BORK BORK BORK." - Socrates

D C posted:

I... uhhh.... maybe?

It's me. I'm the guy who tried to out think an app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

sellouts posted:

If you can outthink an app whose only purpose is to most efficiently settle debts amongst people who spend various amounts and participate in various activities we may have a spot for you

What app do you use for that? Legit question. I use TeamSnap for my sonís team but havenít tried to use the money functions of it yet.

Vargatron posted:

Hockey is a game where you simultaneously have more time than you think you do, but also are making decisions in a matter of seconds.

I did learn, as a goalie, nobody gives a gently caress what you say in between periods. The game started being a lot more fun when I quit being a cheerleader and just focused on stopping the puck and directing traffic from the net when appropriate. Number one object is to just have fun in rec league.

The better amateur goalies I see do a lot of verbalizing to help their defense men know when they can pressure a forward and when they need to protect as the goalie may often have better situational awareness due to not being right in the battle. The one that comes to mind yells ďpushĒ to get his guys to pressure, ďchipĒ to get rid of the puck when they are getting forechecked and is always pointing out free guys in front

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Kalenn Istarion posted:

and is always pointing out free guys in front

I'm pretty sure goalies just start doing this as soon as the game starts and only stop when it ends. I think you can also get them to shut up by throwing a blanket over them but that's just a rumor I heard idk

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We use TeamSnap for league payments when everyone owes me.

We use KittySplit when different people pay and owe different things.

D C
Jun 19, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

We use TeamSnap for league payments when everyone owes me.

We use KittySplit when different people pay and owe different things.

My teams moved to BenchApp because the guys that run one of them are friend with the guy who made/makes it. They hate that I complain that it needs work still.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry we moved to BenchApp as well. Itís fine but itís a higher level team meaning there are fewer brain cells for teammates to know how to use it.

D C
Jun 19, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Sorry we moved to BenchApp as well. Itís fine but itís a higher level team meaning there are fewer brain cells for teammates to know how to use it.

My problems with it is multi team support, you have to click too deep to check in and out of games and even see game times and such for more then one team.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

3v3 small ice is great, I wish it was offered regularly in some form around here.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

The best goalie Iíve played with as a defenseman would basically narrate the play in this really calm voice, giving sort of mild instructions and then announcing when the puck was clear. I was never sure if he was more talking to us or himself.

Also, for the panic thing, again as a dman I spent a few games really purposefully trying to make plays rather than just getting rid of the puck, even if I had someone on me. I definitely screwed up and lost it a couple times when I shouldnít have, but I did have a coach that would always say itís better to lose it one on one and then fight to get it back then it is to make a poo poo pass and just give it away. Learning to battle for the puck is really tough at lower level play.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

speaking of defense: was looking at the box score from sunday's game and didn't even realize we killed off ~1:32 of 6-on-3 to squeak out a 4-3 win. I played all of that and totally forgot they yanked their goalie so hey that feels pretty good.

The only "bad" part was that I had my head down, forgot the goalie was yanked and probably had a decent attempt at an ENG, but did a big ol' dump to get it out of our zone instead. When I looked where the puck was headed only then did I notice a big ol empty net taunting me. Hooray awareness!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Bo?

Fun Shoe

why didnt anyone ever mention this?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

At open skate today, an older guy got onto the ice and within about 4 strides he was doing the gonna-fall-backwards arm flails. He fell flat on his back and his head slammed onto the ice. I rushed over to him, he was conscious, but there was a steady stream of blood dripping to the ice, so I told him not to move and I went to get help at the front desk. By the time the manager had gotten his latex gloves on, the other skaters had moved him off the ice. He didn't seem too dazed and declined an ambulance. I hope he at least went to the doctor after getting patched up.

I feel really bad for him. It's the time of year for New Year's resolutions, I've never seen him at the rink before, and he was pretty out of shape, so I'm betting he was all gung-ho about starting something new and he made it about 1/8 of a lap before it all came crashing down.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

That's a bummer, though I'm surprised more people don't get seriously hurt at open skates. I bet there are a lot of ankle injuries.

e: When I was learning to skate and going to open skates I saw 1 broken leg (or something, had to be stretchered off and it took a long time), one faceplant with tooth damage, and one ankle something.

Thufir fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2018 around 19:50

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

WHY AM I YELLING? I AM VERY CONFUSED RIGHT NOW! I SEEM TO HAVE MISPLACED MY KEYS.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to pirouette around kids who just skate across the ice without any notice of full size adults. A buddy of mine wants to start skating and I keep telling him there's no shame in wearing pads while you're learning.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

The one and only useful thing I developed from my time taking karate in high school was how to fall properly. Always tuck your head if you're falling backward. It still seems pretty ingrained and I feel really lucky because of it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Vargatron posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've had to pirouette around kids who just skate across the ice without any notice of full size adults. A buddy of mine wants to start skating and I keep telling him there's no shame in wearing pads while you're learning.

He should do a basic learn to skate (not hockey specific) class. The one around here was like 6 Saturdays and you got one free admission to an open skate per week to practice, and it only cost like slightly more than just going to that many open skates.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

A youth coach in the States slipping and cracking his head (can't remember if he died or just had long term brain injuries, but yeah it was bad), is the reason all youth coaches have to wear helmets now.

I remember one of my brother's coaches taking a slapshot right in the face during practice once, his nose was just destroyed. And then there was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEc6KL85M_o

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Shea Weber literally blinded David Poile in one eye with a deflected slapshot.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

Vargatron posted:

The one I go to is adults-only open skate, so fortunately there are no kids to weave around. I'm always out there for open skate in full pads and even though most people are just wearing street clothes, there are about 5 of us that regularly show up in full gear. I'm learning to skate so I can play hockey, so I might as well learn to skate in the same gear I'll be wearing during games.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Fun Shoe

I like the look of the shoulder pads, looks almost like a girdle setup. I'm curious how they fit.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

calandryll posted:

I like the look of the shoulder pads, looks almost like a girdle setup. I'm curious how they fit.

I wear their pants, they're okay. The build quality makes me wonder how long they'll last, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Early on Verbero gloves got terrible reviews for the inner lining shredding or straight up not being stitched properly. They're still around so maybe it got fixed but buy cautiously.

«716 »