Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«745 »
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Had the greatest ref of all time last night:

- Opposing goalie comes out to play a puck behind their goal line. Blows dead for icing and the faceoff comes back to our zone
- Puck gets chipped up into my wife's chest off the faceoff and she says "ouch!" and then starts to move the puck out of our zone, ref blows the play dead to check if she's okay
- She gives him some poo poo for this and then a minute later she's getting called for tripping a guy that's four feet away from her

In the next game (as relayed to us afterwards by our friends from both teams):

- Players are told that two handing another player's stick is not slashing, it's only slashing if it's on the hands
- The rule in our league is if you get 3 penalties in one game you're done for the night. A guy gets 3 penalties and starts to leave and the ref follows him out demanding that he get in the box.
- One team is rushing for a 2 on 0, makes the pass, play is blown dead because the other team got a penalty behind the play

Now That's What I Call Reffing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

none of that sounds too bad i dunno

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

really? blowing a play dead because someone says "ouch" but is otherwise still playing is extremely stupid, as is stopping a 2 on 0 because the other team took a penalty behind the play. that's not how penalties work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

No but it's beer league.. the refs are bottom tier just like the players are.

Maybe when we can land a slap shot on net there will be some standing for bitching about the officials.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

"The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of BORK BORK BORK." - Socrates

prom candy posted:

- Opposing goalie comes out to play a puck behind their goal line. Blows dead for icing and the faceoff comes back to our zone

...but that's icing? Where was the puck dumped in from?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

really? blowing a play dead because someone says "ouch" but is otherwise still playing is extremely stupid, as is stopping a 2 on 0 because the other team took a penalty behind the play. that's not how penalties work.

yep, they're mistakes. did you calmly talk to the official at any point to ask them what's up with that? why'd you stop the 2-0, did you think it was going to escalate, etc? did the injury look worse than you thought?

if I never had to beg an official to stop a play because someone was knocked out / bleeding out / bent in a way they clearly cant normally bend i'd be better off, personally.

Bradf0rd posted:

guessing he wanted it waived because goalie went to play it, which is totally discretionary and frankly i'd appreciate a goalie accelerating play by sending the puck back down to the face-off vs waiting for the forward official to skate it all the way down.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bradf0rd posted:

quote:

Icing is always waved off in the following situations:

The team committing the icing is shorthanded, i.e. penalty killing.
The linesman believes a player on the opposing team (other than the goaltender) could have played the puck before it crossed the goal line.
The puck enters the goal.
The puck is iced directly from a player participating in a face-off.
The goaltender leaves his goal crease and moves in the direction of the puck (except under USA Hockey rules).

We're in Canada and don't play under USA hockey rules, however I checked our rulebook and it says "Automatic icing may be called or waived off based upon the discretion of the on-ice officials." so I guess yeah he can call it icing if he wants to.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I got an email recruiting for refs this weekend. Paaaaasssssssss.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

It's a hard thankless job that doesn't pay nearly well enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

I think reffing could be a way to stay on skates if I get too old to really play the game, but yeah, it seems like a great way to take a lot of poo poo from people for no compensation.

Based on how nearly every ref at my rink has grey hair this is a common approach.

For now I'd probably try out being a goalie before I tried out being a ref.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

everyone should try it once but yeah after 2 seasons of competitive youth it definitely wasnt for me.

adults, maybe, but that's a lot of time to get it figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

No games this weekend so I decided to do open hockey at a rink that's closer to where I live now. I've never been there but a neighbor who plays there told me that open hockey is "hit or miss" with whether or not it's filled with college kids home for the summer. I'm hoping that they'll all be out doing other things on a Saturday night but if not I look forward to being a pylon as 20 college players zip around me.

«745 »