Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think most people are hoping for everything to be hosed up for about a month, but it it's looking like that's unrealistically optimistic. Until herd immunity develops or we get a vaccine every time we ease up on isolation the cases are going to flare up again. It's gonna take at least a year for anything to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah the likelihood of any of us playing hockey any time soon is pretty low. I'm hopeful that the NHL season starts on time.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

All washed and packed away... see you in the future my friend.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think this thing is going to roll on and on. Maybe we'll get to skate again a year from now, who knows. I imagine a lot of older guys will grow used to not having to skate at 10.45pm on a Monday night and not be back when this is over.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
More ice time you say? I'll take it.

We've actually been trying to get our own private league together for a long time now and struggling to find decent ice time, maybe we can sneak in at the dawn of the new society and snake sundays at 8pm or something.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So, not to toot my own horn, but I'm a nurse in the Texas Medical center and my current job is running the COVID-19 screening clinic for the medical school.

It's gonna be more than a month. I've got my fingers crossed for summer hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife's a nurse too, and started getting fever and a sore throat today. So this is gonna be a fun process to sit and wait through.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I blew up my knee in a game about a week or two before we got locked down and all the leagues cancelled so, uhhh, hooray great time to fire out an arthroscopic knee surgery I guess. :shrug::sigh:

So I've been work-from-home since before all the cool kids were doing it. That being said, holy gently caress I'm gonna get fat(ter) as gently caress if I don't do something soon.
Anyone have a good work out & diet plan for someone who can't squat/twist/use that knee a whole lot for 5 more weeks? Summer hockey was already optimistic as heck for me and gently caress I miss it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your equipment at home is poo poo, Arnie himself posted some stuff you can do with poo poo everyone has around the house:

https://www.reddit.com/user/GovSchwarzenegger/comments/flz3es/stay_at_home_stay_fit/

Just skip the stuff that involves knees!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Duke Chin posted:

Anyone have a good work out & diet plan for someone who can't squat/twist/use that knee a whole lot for 5 more weeks?

Mine has been "play so much Animal Crossing that you forget to eat."

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have wide feet and even when I buy the wide Bauer skates I'm still in pain after 10 minutes of recreation skating. Any ideas?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't lace tightly around the forefoot. Take the slack out then when you get to the ankle start to lace tightly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

daslog posted:

I have wide feet and even when I buy the wide Bauer skates I'm still in pain after 10 minutes of recreation skating. Any ideas?

Lace your skates properly and in a few weeks if there are specific points that have pressure and hurt get them punched out at a shop

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Our rink is completely closed tomorrow. Maybe I can just get a little covid and it'll make the time pass faster while I'm intubated and in an induced coma :stare:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
All rinks are now closed through April 30 to stay with Illinois' shelter-in-place decree, so I dug out the old stationary bike. It's boring and it sucks compared to playing hockey, but at least it's regular exercise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cardio is the worst type of exercise, I can only do 15 minutes on the spin bike before I'm bored out of my mind and give up. So I pick a resistance that tires me out in 10 minutes.

I could do a normal bike all day though, wind in the face and seeing stuff zoom by never gets old.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Cardio is the worst type of exercise, I can only do 15 minutes on the spin bike before I'm bored out of my mind and give up. So I pick a resistance that tires me out in 10 minutes.

I could do a normal bike all day though, wind in the face and seeing stuff zoom by never gets old.

For what it's worth I, too, loving loathe cardio. So I do circuit training with resistance exercises. You have to lower your max weight a bit in order to ensure you're keeping good form but you can get both resistance and cardio going at the same time.

It really works for me as I notice a huge difference going from no workouts and hiking/hockey to still working out and hiking/hockey.

I'm lucky during all this poo poo because I have a pair of dumbbells with plates I bought like 8 years ago when I started to lose weight and exercise before I started to play hockey. Between those and a chin up bar you can do a lot of exercises, even without a bench.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean supersets. :v:

That's how I do all my weight stuff, sure it gets the breathing going but I still see benefit in steady state cardio so I force myself to do as much as I can.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

daslog posted:

#MeToo. Super wide feet and high arches. fun times. I lace my skates like the image below. The first few skates with my latest skates still took some time for the comfort to kick in but don't notice the tightness now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm going for walks here and there but my cardio is gonna be a fuckin mess by the time I'm playing hockey again.

And that's not even the worst part. The worst part is after extended breaks from hockey and you go skate and all those muscles that you haven't' used in months are suddenly used again and oh god does that make you sore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can keep the hips going by doing lateral jumps. Which is also cardio!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Running with audiobooks is my jam.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I originally wanted to use this time to get in better shape so that I come out stronger than I did going into this mess. I'm stuck on the part where I'm building mass by eating. I swear I'll start the working out part shortly. Maybe next week.

Honestly, I hate running with a passion but I'm about to start just to get out of the house. I think I'm going to strap on the ole roller blades and go do something that feels like hockey.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Verman posted:

I originally wanted to use this time to get in better shape so that I come out stronger than I did going into this mess. I'm stuck on the part where I'm building mass by eating. I swear I'll start the working out part shortly. Maybe next week.

Honestly, I hate running with a passion but I'm about to start just to get out of the house. I think I'm going to strap on the ole roller blades and go do something that feels like hockey.

Honestly start super loving easy

I didn't workout for a while after I poo poo up my hand at work. When I finally got back into it I did two sets, instead of 3, of weight about 1/3 of what I was doing. I did that for about a week to build back up the habit of working out.

Finish and obviously you don't get as much out of it as going hard but it's better than nothing and transitioning from half assing it to going normal is way easier than no rear end at all to normal.

Worked for me, maybe that'll help.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Ive been running on a treadmill occasionally, but this past week we had a few days where it was so nice out that I busted out my (wicked old, stolen from my dad) roller blades to roll around my neighborhood and it is so tiring. The wheels are stiff so it feels like resistance training, and keeping your balance while skating over rough road and avoiding potholes seems much harder than skating on ice.

I also tried a workout I saw online on Wednesday and I知 still sore, even though it痴 probably a super light daily workout for anyone who痴 actually exercised before.

It was just 10 push up, 10 sit ups, 10 side crunch痴 (10 to the left, 10 to the right and also I probably did these wrong) 10 burpees and 10 squats and you do that 4 times in a row. Maybe I値l keep sprinkling that into my routine and hope that someday it becomes not awful to do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The tens is a really good start.

Run a mile to buy in and buy out and you will be kicking rear end.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been obsessively bench pressing on my weights in the basement the last couple of weeks, that's sure to help my game right

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Trying to look at the bright side of this, for my unique situation anyway. Last fall I had to have hip replacement surgery (I'm 36 years old BTW) and I have been building my strength back up so I can get back on the ice. I decided once the rinks open back up is my time to strike. I was planning on giving it a shot around May/June anyway and now that I'm basically going to be on the same cardio scale as most other guys it should make for an easier return. Even if I suck poo poo at least it will beat stick handling in the basement.

For anybody interested on the back story nobody has been able to tell why I got severe arthritis in my hips starting in my late 20's (no family history, no hip dysplasia) but it was basically a slow decline into crippling pain and immobility. I had been managing both hips with steroid injections as needed and then the injections became less and less effective on my left side. Last July I had like a super active couple days, hockey on a Monday, walked 9 holes golf on Tuesday, and Wednesday could barely walk. It didn't get any better after a few days, normally the extreme pain/immobility would subside somewhat after a couple days. Saw my ortho guy and he said, you're done. Time to slice and dice. I still have pretty severe arthritis in my right hip as well but it is not nearly as painful as the left was. In fact there is hardly any pain at all, just restriction of movement. Eventually I'll have to have that one done as well but I'm hoping to put it off for a few more years.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, that would be a good place to dive in. Likely lot of guys are just sitting around and not working out, so your conditioning will be better than most guys baseline!

I had basically stopped working out when we started planning for the coronavirus at work, but I started hitting it hard a week ago and I'm better for it - I'm doing a hybrid routine of 5x5 plus HIIT on other days. Plus I've managed to drop a little weight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I知 filled my kegerator with an NE IPA and an imperial red. I知 drinking a ton and destroying my kids at wii bowling.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I知 filled my kegerator with an NE IPA and an imperial red. I知 drinking a ton and destroying my kids at wii bowling.

See. This guy gets it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

I’m filled my kegerator with an NE IPA and an imperial red. I’m drinking a ton and destroying my kids at wii bowling.

When I graduated from college and before I got a job, I mastered Wii bowling with three clicks and a flick of the wrist. Strike every time. Had a few perfect games.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Verman posted:

When I graduated from college and before I got a job, I mastered Wii bowling with three clicks and a flick of the wrist. Strike every time. Had a few perfect games.

My perfect 300 game strategy for Wii bowling was to line up as far right as it will allow, aim directly at the pocket and bowl as hard as you can with zero spin, letting go of the ball as late as it will let you. It results in a ball that you literally toss over the right gutter, thumping into the lane at the perfect angle for a strike every time. Since every variable is an extreme (all the way right aligned, 0 spin, max speed, latest possible release) it's super easy to repeat for unlimited 300 games. :cool:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think you're probably doing it right.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

I’m filled my kegerator with an NE IPA and an imperial red. I’m drinking a ton and destroying my kids at wii bowling.

I'm smoking two giant briskets today. About 12lbs each before trimming. If fitness had a scale of 0-10, I was at a 6 while playing hockey, I'm at a 2 now and when this brisket is done I'll probably be somewhere around -12.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

I'm smoking two giant briskets today. About 12lbs each before trimming. If fitness had a scale of 0-10, I was at a 6 while playing hockey, I'm at a 2 now and when this brisket is done I'll probably be somewhere around -12.

gently caress yeah. I smoked an 8lb pork butt last week for 17h. It was amazing. I知 gonna grab a brisket on my next Costco run.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Verman posted:

Brisket痴 good. 12 lb pre trim isn稚 giant.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I did some pushups today. Exercise sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I moved chunks of wood from a recently dead tree from one end of my yard to the other end of my yard for an hour. In my head it was squats and deadlifts.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

In the 3 or so weeks its been since we stopped skating, I have done literally nothing except work my way through the beer section of our local grocery store but on the plus side, the sharp pain I've had in my hip flexor if I even twisted remotely funny has finally gone away after about 3 years.

I keep telling myself I'll start stretching and do some bodyweight stuff but when that will be :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I smoked an 8lb pork butt last week

...man hockey lingo is getting weirder and weirder these days :thunk: