Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Looks like my season won't be starting anytime soon. Luckily, the rink has to submit a proposal to the state for operations. Guess the once a decade cleaning of locker rooms wasn't up to snuff for the department of public health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My private shinny group is starting up again Sept 9. No dressing rooms, must be in no sooner than 15 mins before ice time and out no later than 15 mins after, teams are limited to ten skaters. I signed up mainly because I don't want to lose my spot, I was on the wait list for a long time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My teams season is starting on the 9th but I’ve noticed none of the medical personnel I play with have said they were coming back yet. It sucks because I’ll be way behind everyone else when I start playing again if I don’t start at the same time as them, but I also don’t want to risk it too early. I’d rather find some dead stick and puck to go to just to keep my legs under me but not actually have to deal with playing against dudes who will still go for a body check and definitely not follow any CDC guidelines on or off the ice.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I don't know how any of you guys in the US are OK playing to be honest.

I'm in Canada and was 100% on the fence but said gently caress it, might as well before we get a second wave and start getting more than 300 cases a day per 5 million people in our province and then the league has to shut down again

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I gotta say, seeing the season get a start date, it really gave me the itch to go back, but ultimately, I'm glad my team opted out. I just saw a small screenshot of the teams that are coming back mid-September, and it looks like 75% of them said yes, which is shocking.

I've been on the ice once since March at an empty stick time, and I honestly haven't missed it too much. Sure I want to play, but I've had a ton of other stuff going on at home that I'm glad I can focus on. My twins are 1.5yo and it's incredible how much they're absorbing and learning since this all started. I know playing hockey is only 1 night a week (for now), but I'd basically be seeing them for like 30 mins on hockey days, which would suck.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 1, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, gently caress that. I'm not stepping foot in a rink until 2021 at least. It probably won't be until next summer that we know if any vaccine that gets rushed to market actually protects against anything.

It sucks to lose a whole year (or more) of playing hockey but it's not like I was tearing it up out there anyways.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

doctor 7 posted:

I don't know how any of you guys in the US are OK playing to be honest.

I'm in Canada and was 100% on the fence but said gently caress it, might as well before we get a second wave and start getting more than 300 cases a day per 5 million people in our province and then the league has to shut down again

Yeah I was pretty on the fence as well but we have <100 active cases in Hamilton. I don't think I would have played in a league because I don't trust strangers but I'm not too worried about playing with the same 20 people every week in a private shinny. The other heartening thing is that some leagues have been running around here since July with no issues. I'm also ready to just walk away when the Ontario school reopening goes awry.

Please watch for my followup post titled "I got covid 19 from hockey and now my heart is hosed up and I can't play anymore"

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m coaching so the kids are like three feet shorter than me and I explained to all of them that if I could touch them with my stick they were too close.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my mailbox today.

Lol gently caress off with that poo poo. It's irresponsible to be pushing people to play and they loving know it. Their justifications are trash too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In this time of COVID-19, please take a moment to remember that it's just a flu bud come play some hockey

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

In my mailbox today.

Lol gently caress off with that poo poo. It's irresponsible to be pushing people to play and they loving know it. Their justifications are trash too.

Someone I used to play with and who constantly bitched on Facebook about not being able to play or go to a movie would use that stupid “exercise is good for your immune system” line.

Of course he was the first one back when things restarted and even before that was organizing ball hockey groups.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Close proximity on the ice, ignoring the fact there is a bench. I saw that today as well and promptly deleted it. Our private pick-up league sent an email yesterday about coming back for the session. I really wanted to but my boss is the director of the public health lab for the state, as well as my lab. From conversations with him, even though he tried to be optimistic, I'm not going on the ice to there is a viable vaccine. Much as it sucks.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Evidently one of our 8U coaches got it.

But hey, come play hockey!

Give me a break.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
It definitely sucks playing in a mask, hope I don't become a statistic

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i hope i do become a statistic (all time leader in sick nasty goals/60)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Speaking of hockey playing, got a message from a teammate saying that a rink about 20 minutes away needed a fill-in goalie. Thought about it a bit and they have distancing measures in place, as well as only getting dressed in public areas and not locker rooms so I figured I'd try the session.

Felt loving good to get back on the ice, even if my feet hurt after about 2 minutes thanks to fairly new skates that I picked up before we went into lockdown.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I feel like goalie would be the least risky position to play right now, because in theory people shouldn’t be too close to you for the majority of the game. Except for the people who post up right outside the crease and slash your pads after every save.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

V for Vegans posted:

I feel like goalie would be the least risky position to play right now, because in theory people shouldn’t be too close to you for the majority of the game. Except for the people who post up right outside the crease and slash your pads after every save.
Yeah and this was just a training session so that didn't really happen at all.

Honestly a bit surprised I'm not more sore today.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

Hanging out within 6 feet of the goalie is currently a stoppage/faceoff in socks rules, lonely hearts goalie club in full effect.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What’s the point of playing if these kind of precautions are needed? Honestly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
At this point I just want to skate and pass a puck around and rip some shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey is the best exercise so I kinda see the draw, even if the rules have gone full stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

also, lol

https://streamable.com/bf68o8

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

prom candy posted:

At this point I just want to skate and pass a puck around and rip some shots.

This. If they would convert league time slots to limited-numbers stick and puck I'd go in a heartbeat.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Son and I broke down and went to public skate today. Very few people there, that was good. A couple of my teammates were there and conspired to try to get me to come back - apparently all the leagues are short a few players.

It was nice to skate, but I'm not crazy enough to play right now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

non stop half clapper practice

stop admiring your pass, kid!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I need a slowmo version of this to determine if this was only a goal because the next was 2 feet further left than the goalie thought or not.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

sellouts posted:

I just want to skate to be honest

I really miss the feeling of skating, it's my favourite physical activity.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I get open skate, but why make it a game

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
There's no stick and puck here, if you want to get on the ice in your gear and with pucks you're either playing shinny, league hockey, or taking a learn to play class.

My main league sent the email that they're postponing winter season til January. I think they realized they can't make money if they don't stuff 15 people on to every team.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

stop admiring your pass, kid!

https://i.imgur.com/pzHJcWb.gifv

:thunk:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Heard a rumor that my league is thinking about requiring masks during games. So glad I opted the gently caress out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are you allowed to take them off when you fight?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Lot of concussions going to happen.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Some Bauer hockey masks showed up on my FB timeline recently and they look bad. They connect to your helmet/cage which I guess improves ventilation around the sides so you can breathe but also seems to like, butt up against the entire point of a mask.

Also if you take your helmet off, you are now unmasked?!

But for like $40 it can be yours.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

31 cases of covid tied to Dallas youth hockey teams.

Even a 29 year old coach died.

Hell yeah open the rinks up, sounds fine.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Jesus Christ. All for a game.

This is what I tried telling my league during the last call. I don't care how badly people want to get back together and play, it's just a loving game and even one person dying over it isn't worth it.

I'm kind of surprised how callous people seemed to have become over the idea of losing people to covid. On one end, people think it's not that dangerous and very low risk but we've lost enough people in the us that we could have filled the big house at Michigan twice. People think it's not that dangerous but yet they're also shockingly ok with the deaths that come from it?

I hate 2020 and nearly everybody in it. I'm convinced there's no such thing as reality anymore.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
But those kids maybe called up to the NHL gotta get them on the ice. The worst of it all is we are probably underestimating the actual number of deaths due to COVID so it can only get worse!

My wife knew it was serious when I told her I wasn't going to play until there is a viable vaccine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I live in a pretty purple, maybe slightly red county, so it's unsurprising how many people just don't give a dusty gently caress and just want to get back to playing.

But the poetic part of it is the rink requiring masks during play.

"COVID isn't real, let's play hockey!" on one red button, and "Playing hockey, but wearing a rights-infringing mask" on the other button with the sweating guy meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one gives a gently caress anywhere. The numbers coming out of universities and schools is an atrocity in the making.

Pumping everyone under 25 full of the virus and unleashing them on the world, there's no way this could ever surpass society's capability to mitigate it, right??