Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I found an outdoor rink that doesn’t lock up at night. :ninja: The problem I’m having is I can’t seem to lift the puck off the ice at all- shooting, passing, nothing.

I was in a class until covid stopped everything and we hadn’t gotten to stick handling yet heh. Any tips? Good videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Open the blade up by rotating your top hand backwards, think of it like digging under the puck with the bottom edge of the blade. If the stick blade is vertical or even closed (top edge is ahead of the bottom edge) the puck is gonna stay on the ice.

Don't be surprised if your first success puts the puck into orbit.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The "How to Hockey" series on YouTube is great, I think he has a bunch of videos on taking wrist shots

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
What curve are you using? If it's a P88 you need to learn the proper technique. If it's a P92/29 you can kind of cheat by just flicking your wrists a bit more.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I have a P88 so I guess I gotta learn it the hard way. I did find the How To Hockey stuff so I'll grab a bucket of pucks this week try it out. Thanks y'all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The hard way is better because when you progress to the point you know what kind of stick curve you want, you'll be better equipped to get something out of it.

Everyone's first stick should be completely flat but P88 is a good option you can actually buy. And don't forget the backhand, you'll have a big advantage over people running an open curve. Make 'em jealous with your sick lifts.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I would also maybe suggest getting a cheap P92 to see if you're progressing in the right direction, and also it's the acceleration not the overall speed that helps lift the puck.

If I could go back in time though and change the curve that I got good with, it'd be the P88.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
P88 was my first curve and I'm glad it was. I eventually switched but it was a great learner.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Am I right to think P88 is pretty similar to PM9? They stopped selling PM9.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think it's pretty close, but the lie is different, too. Lie on PM9 I think is 5 while the P88 is 6. All Black Hockey Sticks' AB7 is very similar to the PM9 in lie and curve.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My stick is a PS119 (???). I only got it cuz it was the longest stick they had in stock, needed a 6" plug on the end, and I still would like it to be taller.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

taco show posted:

I have a P88 so I guess I gotta learn it the hard way. I did find the How To Hockey stuff so I'll grab a bucket of pucks this week try it out. Thanks y'all.

Then after you've figured it out you just have to remember absolutely every little nuance you have learned while trying to transfer that knowledge to use it while being on skates and moving at the same time!

Anyway I def 5th, or 6th or however many people have suggested using videos to learn proper technique and don't cheat yourself. You can always tell which guys have sort-a figured it out on their own when they're trying to "flick" their twisted wristers in from the dots from the guys that learned the proper technique with weight transfer and all that fun stuff. Spoiler alert the flick it in guys don't usually rip them past the goalie if they're further than 5 feet away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, my household is on the back end of our COVID quarantine that lasted a full month. That sucked and we have no loving clue how we got it. Hopefully our hearts or lungs don't all explode in 5 years.

That said.... 3 months of immunity, let's go hockey!!!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, my household is on the back end of our COVID quarantine that lasted a full month. That sucked and we have no loving clue how we got it. Hopefully our hearts or lungs don't all explode in 5 years.

You can now use anyone’s bottle on the bench without worry!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Get antibody tested in a few weeks to make sure you got those antibodies. I know a couple people who were positive and didn’t get them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The only upside of not playing hockey for a year, I have a nice surplus of money in my bank account. :lol:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol I was thinking this would be the same for me but then I just moved it into other hobbies during covid. Bought two new guitars. An rc truck for my backyard when the lockdown order was initiated. Upgraded my backpacking gear. Started getting into skiing from snowboarding. Refinishing an old guitar. And we're trying to buy a house. On the plus side, I started investing early last year with some side cash and quadrupled it which should pay for skis/boots and a year of hockey. Plus I'll still have my $300/year that my work pays for physical activity ie sports leagues. Best part is we still get 4 games that we didn't finish from last year that we don't have to pay for.

We did just move into phase two meaning sports can resume so we're having another captains call tomorrow to see what the plan is. I'm not too optimistic and I have a feeling we'll still be at 50% who actually want to play. I'll put money on they get a few weeks into games and we get shut down again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was gonna use unspent ice time money on new computers for the wife and I, but we waited too long and parts have been stupid expensive since June.

So instead we filled out our home gym, when/if I do get back on the ice I'll hopefully be in better shape then I have been in a while because pre plague my only exercise was sunday night hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Isn’t home gym pretty far into the price gouging realm as well?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, but not as bad as computer components. My wife is a monster at finding good deals too, she got everything on sale or discount.

I feel bad for the delivery people that had to haul that stuff to our porch though, shipping stuff designed to be heavy is just cruel.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

calandryll posted:

The only upside of not playing hockey for a year, I have a nice surplus of money in my bank account. :lol:

Same. Also turns out drinking from home is a lot cheaper.

Things that have also increased since the last time I played hockey back in late Feb 2020: my drinking.

edit: wait hang on I did basically spend a full winter league's fees on new kick drum pedals.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 1, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well I've been trying to keep up or exceed my hockey drinking. I want to make sure I'm still in form for that aspect of it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Between not eating out for lunch at work, and not going for drinks/food after hockey games, I can't believe how much money I used to spend on that stuff, likely as much as I paid for hockey. Its insane.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Between not eating out for lunch at work, and not going for drinks/food after hockey games, I can't believe how much money I used to spend on that stuff, likely as much as I paid for hockey. Its insane.

:same: Work lunches, weekend bar-outings with friends, coffee runs, going to dinners: eliminating all of that has added a meager lil bit to my savings. Our home bar, however, has expanded precipitously and WA state's insane booze taxes definitely still punches the ol checkbook there but, sheesh, compared to getting a cocktail or seven every weekend it more than evens out. And yeah, not paying two different league fees every half a year or whatever :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Get antibody tested in a few weeks to make sure you got those antibodies. I know a couple people who were positive and didn’t get them.

Yup, I got tested for antibodies last week and I was positive.

:hellyeah:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Verman posted:

Now's the perfect time to invest it all into Gamestop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Actually, all of my hockey money will go towards our Kraken season tickets ... if they play this year :smith:

And we're trying to buy a house. So don't worry, I found uses for all this "extra money"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
we're trying to buy a house, too and whooooooooooooooooo boy is this making for a grumpy Duke and Ms. Duke because these listing agents are loving gouging on absolute trash houses and contingencies.

it.
loving.
sucks.
for buyers almost harder than pre-pandemic

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We bought a house last May during the pandemic. Like the day after we saw our house, the state declared real estate non-essential and everything had to be a virtual tour. Our kids didn’t even get to see the house before we closed. It was weird.

And now our neighbors are selling their house for almost 100k over what we paid and they’ve got people seeing it all day for like a week. It’s a wild market right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife and I were thinking of pulling up stakes and making a big move at the end of this year but I'm suspecting it's not going to happen, with the most optimistic timeline doing anything to upset income for the next couple years would going to be pretty risky. And since our dumb society is pretty drat far away from "optimistic" in its dealing with the plague it makes the call to sit and chill a real easy one.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
In addition to so many people being uprooted due to covid, interest rates for mortgages are in the toilet right now (2.73% national average on 30-year fixed) so it makes sense that a ton of people would be wanting to buy homes.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Here's an abandoned shithole near me that's expected to go for over $500k

Anyone wanna be my neighbour?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Americans aren't really welcome in Canada right now so I'll have to pass.

Well they aren't welcome anywhere really, but Canada is kind of a new thing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm already one of the worst skaters on the ice in America. Going to Canada would compound this problem.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Don't worry, there are a lot of lovely players here too, it just might mean playing in a league with some mixed demographics. Two seasons ago my team lost our shot at the championship when a 65 year old woman threw a retaliatory crosscheck in front of the opposing net and got sent to the box. I also now exclusively get my skates sharpened by a woman in her 70s who plays on my mom's team.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Duke Chin posted:

we're trying to buy a house, too and whooooooooooooooooo boy is this making for a grumpy Duke and Ms. Duke because these listing agents are loving gouging on absolute trash houses and contingencies.

it.
loving.
sucks.
for buyers almost harder than pre-pandemic

Yeah, me and Mrs. Cloak have been talking about moving. We'd make a titantic profit on the house, then use some money for another house and the rest to put our kid through college. Just not looking forward to getting jerked around on any potential houses we're interested in.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm already one of the worst skaters on the ice in America. Going to Canada would compound this problem.

You've never seen me skate

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Well my league is restating in two weeks if things stay the course. Seattle is in phase two which allows for sports. Still no locker rooms and mandatory masks during play.

I have a feeling there's going to be a substantial amount of players that sit out, like 60%.

One of my teams is 75% not playing yet. The other was 50 last I checked. Guys on that call were already bitching about masks but it's a not negotiable factor so there's zero wiggle room but it doesn't sound like it will be enforced too hard.

This should be interesting.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

One of my teams is 75% not playing yet. The other was 50 last I checked. Guys on that call were already bitching about masks but it's a not negotiable factor so there's zero wiggle room but it doesn't sound like it will be enforced too hard.

This should be interesting.

Each of the restart options my teams' opt-out rates are increasing. We're now in discussion to try to merge 4 teams to 1 for whatever season kicks off whenever it starts. I will plan to sit it out till summer/fall I think.

I wasn't on the captains call but got word that the Kraken bought the league! Will see how this changes things but a likely positive. Sounds like effective Sept 1 hence why there's a rush to get caught up on the paid ice times now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, I feel like everyone at my rink is signing up for the season starting in a few weeks. Everyone I talk to is like "yeah this is probably a breeding ground for COVID, but I need to get out of the house, I'm going crazy doing nothing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Tank44 posted:

Each of the restart options my teams' opt-out rates are increasing. We're now in discussion to try to merge 4 teams to 1 for whatever season kicks off whenever it starts. I will plan to sit it out till summer/fall I think.

I wasn't on the captains call but got word that the Kraken bought the league! Will see how this changes things but a likely positive. Sounds like effective Sept 1 hence why there's a rush to get caught up on the paid ice times now.

Wait, which league?

I got all the various restart e-mails but haven't heard anything from my Sunday night skate guy. Last I'd heard, one of the other goalies was out until vaccinated and that's where I was leaning as well so they're down to maybe one goalie.