Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

johncho posted:

One thing I'm wondering about VR Boxing is if I'm punching the air and there's nothing to stop the punch, am I potentially messing up my rotator cuff/other joints?

It'd be cool if I could incorporate a bag to punch against maybe.

I think the games are tuned so that you can go at shadowboxing-level intensity. I've only played a bit so far but because you can see your punches connecting you also naturally kinda pull them instead of swinging hard past/through the target. But yeah I can definitely see how you could hurt yourself if you're not taking form into account and just swinging wildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Sick of KyBu?
Try KUBU, The Cooler Busch.

prom candy posted:

I started playing a VR boxing game and doing three 2-minute rounds put me on my rear end. But I'm sure doing 8-10 90-second shifts when I'm back at hockey will be no problem...

90 second shifts? Where do you play? Everyone knows you're supposed to take at least a 5min shift. 90 seconds at half speed to save a little in the tank to make sure you can make the full 5. 90 seconds at full speed to show everybody you belong out there for a full shift then 2-4 minutes dogging it because you're dead rear end tired from going full out for 90 seconds. That's of course when the bench is full and somebody institutes the "hey guys, quick shifts" rule. Otherwise you're going to have to extend your half speed time quite a bit to extend to a full men's league pickup game shift of 10-13min.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

90 second shifts? Where do you play? Everyone knows you're supposed to take at least a 5min shift. 90 seconds at half speed to save a little in the tank to make sure you can make the full 5. 90 seconds at full speed to show everybody you belong out there for a full shift then 2-4 minutes dogging it because you're dead rear end tired from going full out for 90 seconds. That's of course when the bench is full and somebody institutes the "hey guys, quick shifts" rule. Otherwise you're going to have to extend your half speed time quite a bit to extend to a full men's league pickup game shift of 10-13min.

Quick shifts means 2 minutes plus however long it takes to get a whistle, which can often be another 2 minutes since all the refs just yell “play it” whenever anything besides a goal happens

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

V for Vegans posted:

Quick shifts means 2 minutes plus however long it takes to get a whistle, which can often be another 2 minutes since all the refs just yell “play it” whenever anything besides a goal happens

The joke in my league was if you're playing past 9pm there's no such thing as icing. Those refs want to get to bed.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

prom candy posted:

The joke in my league was if you're playing past 9pm there's no such thing as icing. Those refs want to get to bed.

I think I was 6 months into adult hockey before I heard my first icing whistle and half the people just looked very confused at the ref when it happened. It was a substitute ref, our normal dude was this old man who would wear headphones to listen to Bruins games and give us score updates