Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bewbies posted:

jfc can you guys feel those things wobbling back and forth when you're stickhandling

I weigh 140lbs and I'm 5'5", I'm small by U14 standards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I buy refurbished sticks on hockeystickman.com. They're like $60 for pro stock models and they're still way better than anything new at that price.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I once saw a bunch of sticks at pure hockey with dropkick Murphy branding on them and I regret not buying one every single day of my beer league career.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

60 to 67 feel good to me, but I don't play out too much and I suck at shooting. I could play with rebar and it'd be the same result.

A friend of mine did try out a in int stick once and his shots were WAY harder when they hit me in net. But he had control issues while passing. I'm glad he swapped back to his regular flex because I was tired of getting stingers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used to be aboard the 65 flex intermediate noodle bandwagon, but the whole passing thing annoyed me as well. Now I get 75 flex seniors and cut a few inches off.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
What I've found odd is that for me 65 to 75 seems like a bigger jump than 75 to 85.
Prob means that I should be using a lower flex or get stronger.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Low flex passing took me a couple games to get used to but now I'm pretty good at sending and receiving passes. Better than I was when I was playing with stiffer sticks.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Funny the opposite happened with me. I started with whippy sticks and did ok. I moved up to 85 and everything improved. Since I have a long torso and shorter than normal legs for my height, I need some funky lies, typically like 5 or lower.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've settled into 75 flex the last couple of years, 85 is okay but I like the feel of 75s a little better.

I don't worry too much about it - I did a successful deke once and it wouldn't have mattered if it was a 40 flex or a 110. I just lol'ed that it actually worked.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I buy refurbished sticks on hockeystickman.com. They're like $60 for pro stock models and they're still way better than anything new at that price.

Yesssssss I got a Tacks 2.0 with a McDavid curve from there, that stick is nuts.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Fingat posted:

Speaking of sticks, what are you guys into lately? Before I stopped playing a few years ago my favorite was the Easton Stealth RS. I'm hoping to get back into playing next month after my second dose and was thinking of trying a new stick, but I'm not sure what would be close or a decent deal.

So from all the replies everyone has given I'm guessing you've figured out by now you get to play the high dollar game of trial and error what kind of stick do I like? I was a Bauer only guy for a long time, like my youth through young adult but eventually I stopped liking them for whatever reason. Then I was a whatever is on sale guy but I got a lot of sticks I hated during that but that strategy eventually landed me on Warriors now. I know most sticks are all basically the same and my skill level is so low that it doesn't really matter but mentally for some reason the Warrior does it for me. I was an 87+ flex guy but I had to move down to a 75 flex when my hips started going bad and couldn't use them in my shooting as much as I used to. Good luck finding something you like.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah once you find something you like, buy a poo poo ton of them. I miss the easton s19. I wish I had a dozen of them. I still have a bunch of unused reebok pro stocks from my brother in law but they're just backup sticks since they're so stiff (100) plus take an inch off.

Most of my trial and error was by buying cheap clearance sticks to feel the curve pattern and flex. 70s felt too whippy and 80s felt like the right mix of flex and strength. I'm not a huge fan of square toes.

It seems like most modern sticks have new curves vs recycling all the same old patterns. Way more aggressive toe curve. I tried a friend stick on a warmup and my shots seemed to have way more power and a quicker release on my wrist shot which was weird. Boy did they go high with minimal effort.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I like that stupid concave profile on CCM ribcores for my tiny sausage hands and only ever buy them from Canada for that automatic built-in ~25% discount (plus a weekend of getting drunk up there when they let us in :( miss u Vancouver )

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use an easton stick with the blade cut off to try and keep mobility in my shoulders, is the only bit of easton I got left.

(frozen shoulder sucks, I suggest not getting it)

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Any suggestions or preferences for face masks (not just shields) for playing these days in the time of covid?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was going to ask the same thing. The only time I played, I inhaled my mask all night long. Something with a frame to stay out of your mouth. It looked like people like the ccm mask.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can I ask a real noob-rear end question in here? I am not a player, which will become very obvious in a moment. I’m just a guy who loves to watch the NHL on TV.

Shifts.... for your forwards a typical shift is something like 45-50 seconds, right?

So when time is up, does someone from the bench yell to remind everyone? Or do you just eventually get to the point where you just know when it’s time for a switch?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

After 45s of hard skating you should be tired. You change with the puck going into the offensive zone.

For little kid hockey the coach will yell, but above that level it’s the player’s responsibility to change before he’s gassed and with the puck going the right way.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrMojok posted:

Can I ask a real noob-rear end question in here? I am not a player, which will become very obvious in a moment. I’m just a guy who loves to watch the NHL on TV.

Shifts.... for your forwards a typical shift is something like 45-50 seconds, right?

So when time is up, does someone from the bench yell to remind everyone? Or do you just eventually get to the point where you just know when it’s time for a switch?

What he said ^^^. Skate hard, get off when you're tired. I don't yell from the bench unless it's been MINUTES and someone is dogging it.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
When I played hockey as a kid, the first year every shift was two minutes and they used the buzzer to signify when it was time to change lines, which basically ingrained my our minds that we were supposed to go out and skate hard and then get off quickly instead of the kindergarten soccer strategy of just everyone running in a constant mob the whole game.

Sometimes people do need a gentle yelling reminder to get off the ice though. Had a game the other night where a dude was on the ice for 30 minutes straight and finally changed with 55 seconds left in the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've never understood the urge to stay on for extra long shifts. I don't even enjoy playing when I'm tired. I'm basically useless at that point and can't make good decisions.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MrMojok posted:

In theory, that is how it should work. It never does though.

From my experience, men's league shifts are usually 2-4min long based on the play goes and when the whistles are. If a player is tired enough they will get off the ice. But typically, changes happen around whistles.

And yes, there will always be that guy who doesn't skate hard/backcheck/whatever and is out there for like 10 minutes while also yelling at others to get off the ice while he is on the bench.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

V for Vegans posted:

[...] Had a game the other night where a dude was on the ice for 30 minutes straight and finally changed with 55 seconds left in the game.

We usually kick those guys out after a warning.
Unless we have like 2 subs, then it's somehow appreciated.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Ginette Reno posted:

I've never understood the urge to stay on for extra long shifts. I don't even enjoy playing when I'm tired. I'm basically useless at that point and can't make good decisions.

Same here, also I enjoy skating hard. I can't stand guys that do lazy Ovi circles for 5 mins on the ice to recover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

That's why everyone's first few shifts in a game are so good, they're all fresh and have energy. By the second period all the extended shifts have drained the tank and people play like they're asleep.

There's also the scientific part to it, the energy system used to sprint only give you about 20 seconds and it takes a while (1 minute? 10 minutes? I don't remember) to get that back. If you try to sprint for several minutes you get too much of a deficit and your muscles can't refuel. I forget the specific names of it all but I read up on it a long time ago and it was an interesting topic (for someone with no medical background it contained about 50% words that were incomprehensible to me).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
meanwhile, on my team, we routinely have races to get to the bench and cursing the guy who beats you there, because we're all so exhausted and we want off the god drat ice

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, ok thanks all!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I secretly enjoy when 11 skaters show up because I play center and suck at skating so it's tiring to cover both zones all game if there's only one person for me to switch with.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Teeter posted:

I secretly enjoy when 11 skaters show up because I play center and suck at skating so it's tiring to cover both zones all game if there's only one person for me to switch with.

Yeah with 11, our team plays 3 centers, 2 sets of wings, and 2 sets of D, but our centers are our best skaters and cover a heck of a lot of distance.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I relate it almost entirely to people who didn’t grow up playing and have never been subject to bag skates from coaches who want to teach a lesson for staying on the ice too long.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

bigbillystyle posted:

So from all the replies everyone has given I'm guessing you've figured out by now you get to play the high dollar game of trial and error what kind of stick do I like? I was a Bauer only guy for a long time, like my youth through young adult but eventually I stopped liking them for whatever reason. Then I was a whatever is on sale guy but I got a lot of sticks I hated during that but that strategy eventually landed me on Warriors now. I know most sticks are all basically the same and my skill level is so low that it doesn't really matter but mentally for some reason the Warrior does it for me. I was an 87+ flex guy but I had to move down to a 75 flex when my hips started going bad and couldn't use them in my shooting as much as I used to. Good luck finding something you like.

Back to sticks! Yea sticks like so much of the equipment in hockey is subjective and depends on you and how you play/shoot etc. Was just curious since I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread lately. I too was into Bauer before I bought that first Stealth RS way back when. It was my first higher end stick, and I was surprised how great it felt, the weight, the pop, it felt so good. Looking at my sticks again I also noticed how wide the shaft was on the Bauer's I had compared to it. It's funny you mentioned Warrior, I just ordered a Alpha QX on clearance yesterday. I'm curious to see how the taper they have on the shaft feels.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Have you Easton guys tried the FlyLite?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BOGO on sticks?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14932682-stx-hockey-sticks-and-apparel-buy-one-get-one-free

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I relate it almost entirely to people who didn’t grow up playing and have never been subject to bag skates from coaches who want to teach a lesson for staying on the ice too long.

Probably true, but even at higher levels of beer league play it's still a thing. Even for those of us who have played since we were growing up there's still always that one guy on a beer league team who takes long rear end shifts and it's almost worse in that case because that guy should know better.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ginette Reno posted:

Probably true, but even at higher levels of beer league play it's still a thing. Even for those of us who have played since we were growing up there's still always that one guy on a beer league team who takes long rear end shifts and it's almost worse in that case because that guy should know better.

We had one on our team a couple years ago. Told him multiple times. During the game, after the game, whatever. We just don't play with him anymore, he was doing it because he's a selfish prick.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I do it by accident because my sense of time dilates once I'm on the ice. On shift it's 30 seconds. Next it is almost triple that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get an apple watch and buy the hockey tracker app, you can set it to buzz when your shift is up you filthy ice hog.

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007
Great deal if you're familiar with STX! They typically offer BOGO once or twice a year (usually on Black Friday) but I think this might be the first time they've offered BOGO on all of their stick lines at the same time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a teammate tell me about this dude who sells demo sticks on eBay. Top of the line sticks, slightly used/like new, for $100. He’s been using a few and hasn’t had any issues. Anyone ever try anything like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warrior-Covert-QR-Edge-Grip-Hockey-Stick-Senior-Right-Gaudreau-W88-Flex-75-/154305003582

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

What is the best shooting pad for off-ice training? Not looking for the cheapest available or a good value, I'm looking for the best. I've used one of those whiteboard panels from Home Depot in the past and it was fine but I'm looking for better if it exists.

I'd like to eliminate or reduce the amount that I need to lube it up if possible so I'm not looking to save a few bucks unless there is truly no difference in quality between them.

So far I'm considering something along these lines:
Hockeyshot Synthetic Ice Tiles - 36" x 90"

Snipers Edge Shooting Pad 30"x60"

Generic HDPE Board - 48" x 96"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use a sheet of HDPE and it's good for shooting, but it sticks a bit too much for my taste to work on puckhandling. Maybe if I spray it down with Pam or something...