Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Verman posted:

It's super lovely not to automatically exclude yourself if you know you have covid. They shouldn't put the burden on everybody else to make that decision.

Again, hockey isn't that important.

They don't know they have covid, but they live with people who do currently have it. Effectively the same but I guess the difference is meaningful to some people. I think at least one of them had it previously.

Otherwise in complete agreement.

Terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real covid life lesson is determining who among your circles gives a poo poo about other people, and who doesn't. If the team still fields enough skaters to play a game I'd think real hard about finding a new group because who knows how many of them wouldn't say anything at all.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Yeah I'd probably leave it like, if you guys are going, I'm out. No offense, just don't wanna risk it. If most of the team plays it the same way then maybe those 2 will voluntarily sit out. Best players or not like read the room man. Beer League Playoffs isn't worth putting 20+ people at risk.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

The real covid life lesson is determining who among your circles gives a poo poo about other people, and who doesn't. If the team still fields enough skaters to play a game I'd think real hard about finding a new group because who knows how many of them wouldn't say anything at all.

They're getting subs from related teams. I wonder if those players will be informed about the overall situation.

My captain reached out and asked whether I'd still sit out if those two (one of whom is her husband) stayed home, and at this point I'd prefer to just not play.

There are several others on the team who have elected to not play as well. One has an immunocompromised partner, another set has a pre-vax age child.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 10, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
People in our hockey community were doing that poo poo too it was annoying. "I'm waiting on a COVID test, if anyone is uncomfortable with me playing please let me know" or "i tested negative but I have lots of cold symptoms, if anyone is uncomfortable with me playing please let me know." If you have to ask, you shouldn't play!

For the game that we run we just spelled it out as if you have COVID, have been exposed to COVID, are waiting on test results, or have any reason to believe you're contagious with *anything* please don't play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've stopped playing yet again because with the insane amount of omicron cases and also the many morons that play hockey I feel like it's inevitable I'd catch it if I kept playing.

I mean I'll probably get it anyways but I at least want to live with the pleasant dream that I might not

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had the best skater in the league on our team last season and we were the #1 seed. The morning before our first playoff game, he texted me and said he had symptoms. And then came then the “I’m going to get tested later, but if you don’t want me to play, just let me know. Don’t want to get anyone sick.”

I told him to stay home and we lost. But we went home without Covid, so did we really lose?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I haven't played in a couple weeks and all my anxiety bullshit is making a major comeback. It's unbelievable how much this sport does for me, and now it's probably gonna be closed for months again :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only anxiety is feeling like I should quit because I can't contribute poo poo against 2/3 the teams in our league. Then we get that one game where there's people my skill level and I can actually make some plays and I'm all gently caress yeah, this is the best.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The team I'm on was created for the locker room. We didn't care if we won every game, we cared about bullshitting and drinking beers afterwards. Before the pandemic we were an even 500. Something clicked with us this season and we're just playing really well together. I'm going to be sad we they close us down for the season or at least a few weeks. Playing the last 5 months have greatly improved my mental health.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Considering this is our covid status in a city that's been pretty good on following rules with a relatively obedient population, I'm happy I'm not playing right now.

I miss it dearly but holy poo poo.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I already caught covid at hockey so I feel like I should be allowed to play

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Fortunately my covid experience was nothing serious, just very unpleasant.

What I did not realise though, and have definitely taken for granted is how much of an outlet it is for the stress and tension that builds up over the week. We ended up having to isolate for 20 days as just as I started testing negative my partner developed symptoms and started testing positive. Being locked up in a small house, with a young baby and no outlet sure makes for a fun experience!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm the opposite, the less I go out the easier it gets to hole up and never leave my cave so I need to force myself to get out when I can.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I'm kinda losing it without hockey. 23 days since I last played and my stress/anxiety is through the roof again. It's crazy how playing sports keeps me functional. Hope they open the rinks soon.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My state reinstituted masks indoors, took them long enough, including being on the ice. I had purchased one of the CCM masks sometime last year but never used it because I wasn't playing. It actually wasn't too bad to wear on the ice.

I'm taking my chances to continue playing because after a year and a half of no hockey, I need it for mental and physical health. More mental health more than anything else.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I had COVID a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't have known if my father in law didn't just get it and I had a headache that wouldn't go away.

The real bitch was trying to find a place to get tested.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sounds like hockey will be back here starting on the 31st, although I haven't heard from the rink yet. Been doing a little at-home cardio, it's crazy how long it takes to get in shape and how quickly you lose it. All this on-again off-again hockey is brutal.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Got drilled in the ankle by a hard shot today, so we'll see how that plays out. It hurt like hell for about 5 minutes, then went away for a few hours, and now it's starting to hurt again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lost in the playoff semis last night to a team that's been in the championship 11 times in the past 12 seasons (6-7 years), and they'll be playing a team that's been in the championship 8 times in the past 12 seasons.

We have the world's most worthless HD.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Today is the 5-year anniversary of my first hockey lesson. :toot:

I wish I didn't have an 18-month hiatus in the middle of it due to Covid, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm passing 10 years this year and it's depressing because I should be much better than I am.

Skating once a week is not cutting it. Also my body is giving up on the universe and stuff is breaking and hurting a lot more.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

I'm passing 10 years this year and it's depressing because I should be much better than I am.

Skating once a week is not cutting it. Also my body is giving up on the universe and stuff is breaking and hurting a lot more.

I skate 3 days a week, but I'm totally fine with realizing I'm probably never gonna graduate up to C level. Hockey is still fun as hell and it's keeping me in shape, even if I'll never be really good at it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't want to be C level, I just want to be a contributing entity in D hockey. I'm in pretty sorry shape.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You just made me realize I'm at 12 years, but only playing one night a week for the past couple years, minus Covid pause. I used to skate 3 nights a week at my peak and always felt like I was getting a little better, but kids made doing that impossible the past few years, so back down to 1 night.

My wife is moving up to a brand new team on a different night than I play, but the same skill level as I play, so I'm joining her team for a second night. Been probably 5 years since I've been able to skate with her, so it should be fun.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I think I'm right at 11 years minus ~18 months not playing because of covid. I feel like I'm still getting better at small things and decision making but I dunno if my skating will ever realistically get much better at this point. Also we won Lower C champs tonight and I scored two goals which is really weird

(guy in street clothes got ejected early in the 2nd so we finished with 8 skaters)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No story on the ejection??

Congrats on the win!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Haha, I'm still not entirely sure what happened because I had the puck when the play got blown dead and it was behind me somewhere. Seemed like he 'collided' with someone 'accidentally' and then things degraded between him and the ref after they called it so he ended up with maybe 5 for body checking and I heard the ref say "2 game misconducts" which I don't know if that's really a thing that can happen? It was a really chippy game after that and the other team also had someone ejected in the 3rd and their captain ended up storming off after we won in shootout and skipping the handshake line.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thinking back on it, I would say that I'm probably sitting at 15 years since I started playing again as an adult. I played recreationally as a kid and picked it back up about halfway through college. I played inline at first and switched to ice a few years later when the inline rink closed down. Skill wise, I peaked in the last few years before hurting my back this past year or two. Most of the people I play with have played highschool level/AAA, some college and I feel like I could still be competitive and contribute.

This past weekend was our outdoor tournament in Winthrop and I decided to go even though I'm still not playing. I'm feeling great day to day with no more daily pain in my back/leg but I don't trust it enough to lift/play/fall/bend forward/get hit. I went to hang with the team and get away for the weekend and had a great time. I intentionally didn't bring any gear so that I wasn't tempted to play which was a good idea.

The sunset on Saturday during my buddies teams game was bananas.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That looks amazing. I need to do some kind of outdoor game once the pandemic makes it safer to travel.

I picked up hockey again almost 8 years ago. I played in high school but it was in house league and wasn't very good at it. I have definitely improved, this season I've been on fire with everything. Actually our entire time has been really synced this season. We're also one of the older teams in the league, a few weeks ago I was playing center and my wingers were 55 and 72. I was also the second youngest guy, at 42, at that game. Our average age with everyone is ~59.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow that looks oddly similar to the winter classic game in Tahoe. Awesome!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 27, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verman posted:

Thinking back on it, I would say that I'm probably sitting at 15 years since I started playing again as an adult. I played recreationally as a kid and picked it back up about halfway through college. I played inline at first and switched to ice a few years later when the inline rink closed down. Skill wise, I peaked in the last few years before hurting my back this past year or two. Most of the people I play with have played highschool level/AAA, some college and I feel like I could still be competitive and contribute.

This past weekend was our outdoor tournament in Winthrop and I decided to go even though I'm still not playing. I'm feeling great day to day with no more daily pain in my back/leg but I don't trust it enough to lift/play/fall/bend forward/get hit. I went to hang with the team and get away for the weekend and had a great time. I intentionally didn't bring any gear so that I wasn't tempted to play which was a good idea.

The sunset on Saturday during my buddies teams game was bananas.

I've never really had any interest in playing outdoors until I saw this, this looks amazing!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Outdoors for those of us who grew up in cold regions is just nostalgic. I grew up skating while my step dad was ice fishing, we froze my yard a few times.

It's a fun way to play hockey. I really don't have a desire to play tournaments in rinks I already play league games in. I want an experience. Half of Winthrop is that it's a small town in the mountains and feels perfect for outdoor hockey. Getting your team to rent an awesome cabin or two and hang out all weekend, soaking in a hot tub. It's a fun time. Covid has changed things a bit but its still a good time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I live in a cold climate but my experience with outdoor skating is mostly just bumpy ice and very cold fingers and toes. I did get to skate on my friend's backyard rink on a not too cold day recently and it was really fun.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I played at Fenway Park in Boston once and it rained while the Zamboni was out so the ice was just super bumpy and awful to skate on, but such a cool experience.

We use to play on the lake that my grandparents lived on and we would find the flattest part of the ice and keep it shoveled and then inevitably every January 1st when the season opened someone would drill an ice fishing hole right in the middle of our rink.

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 28, 2022

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Had the offensive defenseman game of my life tonight and at every point I was absolutely stoned by a goalie playing out of his mind. Two breakaways, an open net rebound, a two on one with a great pass across. Just robbed every loving time.

Fuckin' goalies.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
One of our goalies filled in for the team we were playing and basically stood on his head stopping everything we threw at him. He had never played like that before. The bastard.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

calandryll posted:

One of our goalies filled in for the team we were playing and basically stood on his head stopping everything we threw at him. He had never played like that before. The bastard.

We had a similar thing happen where a guy on our team used to play goalie as a kid but never does anymore. For one of our games, the other team couldn't get a sub so we pressed him into playing goal for them so the game could happen, but were joking about how much we were going to light him up. We ended up barely winning 2-1, he played great.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Goalies are absolute monsters when they're playing against their own team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Goalies are absolute monsters when they're playing against their own team.

I think it's one of the universal laws of the universe.